The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 December 2019, 07:02 AM   #61
GeoffS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffS View Post
I contacted Watches of Switzerland today asking about the return of the warranty cards (they have one of mine) and was told this is "fake news" and card will NOT be returned until the year is up, and they will still be withholding as before.
And now correcting my own post. Despite being told by my regular SA at Watches of Switzerland a few days ago that them returning all cards was "fake news", today I received an email from Watches of Switzerland telling me that they are returning all cards and that I should go into my store and get my card back!

Those folks that posted after me saying that WoS retained their card in the past few days, looks like you too will shortly get them back. Happy days.
GeoffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 07:58 AM   #62
Rwatcher
"TRF" Member

I can also confirm, WoS group stores have been told to return cards but the roll out process will take a few days to notify all customers from each store due to the volume of models they sell.

Great news for anyone waiting on a card, now the question will other UK AD’s follow suit.... I hope so just to end this silly non sense where even valued customers are made to feel like flippers.
Rwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 08:04 AM   #63
GeoffS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwatcher View Post

Great news for anyone waiting on a card, now the question will other UK AD’s follow suit.... I hope so just to end this silly non sense where even valued customers are made to feel like flippers.
I think they will have to. WoS control so much of the UK Rolex market that I can't see anyone getting away with retaining cards if WoS is not.
GeoffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 04:52 PM   #64
Fire bloke
Banned

Bad news ...it means a rise of £1000s on some of the watches on eBay and Grey's as now sold with papers rather than cards available in a year...
Fire bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 06:01 PM   #65
-Ally-
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire bloke View Post
Bad news ...it means a rise of £1000s on some of the watches on eBay and Grey's as now sold with papers rather than cards available in a year...
Hopefully it has the opposite influence and we see prices go down as more people sell.
It’s wishful thinking, but if it ended inane threads on forums it would be fantastic.
-Ally- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 06:41 PM   #66
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

It sounds plausible.

My AD's Rolex buyer and another SA have commented to me on several occasions that the grey boom and pseudo shortage in the UK is being driven principally by one man. Everyone knows who he is but my AD are understandably diplomatic and guarded beyond a certain point.

I hope that the next time a WOS SA/manager tells a customer that the shortage is being driven by Rolex or how retaining the warranty card is Rolex policy, that they will get it thrown right back in their faces.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 06:48 PM   #67
grimps
"TRF" Member

There was a shortage before they started with holding cards and VIP customers existed before then too.
The collapse of the UK pound meant that the UK was a more attractive place to buy Rolex
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 07:05 PM   #68
365DAS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimps View Post
There was a shortage before they started with holding cards and VIP customers existed before then too.

The collapse of the UK pound meant that the UK was a more attractive place to buy Rolex

Agree with this!

It’s something I’ve heard from colleagues who work in other areas of luxury goods and they’ve commented the same. In fact, they’ve also started to employ certain measures to ensure they were not only maintaining the brands image but to ensure that they were not falling into the hands of resellers. For example, certain luxury handbags would be limited to something like “1 per customer” as I’ve witnessed myself where people from certain countries go in with suitcases and essentially go shopping to resell and make a profit. It’s fair to say that WoS employing a measure to try and curb resellers is a just one in my opinion.

No one really knows about the shortage but coming from a sales background, it’s understandable that some stores would get “tactical” and try the bundling tactic to hit their targets...I’ve seen this happen in various other industries.

There are some fantastic individuals within that group who do have integrity and try to do the “right thing”. I’ll give you one of my real experiences from earlier this year...

I’ve got what I believe is a cracking relationship with my AD and they do go the extra mile to try and achieve what I want. When the new Basel watches were released this year, they received their first BLNR and the new YM42 OF. Despite me willing to buy both watches on the day, they were told that they could only sell me one Basel piece as they need to try and be fair with all customers. I was a little frustrated as I had both of them in my hands and wanted them...but I had to choose so took the BLNR, even though selling me the YM42 would’ve been a better sale for them.

A bit long winded but ultimately still think it’s unfair to try and suggest that a single individual is the reason for what’s happened...in fact I’d go as far to applaud the fact that they’ve tried to anticipate the buying habits and wanted to ensure that people who actually “love” watches are buying them! My AD has told me that it’s amazing how many people come in for a specific watch and when they’re told about the warranty card being held back then they refuse to purchase. Now it’s becoming less of put off so I wouldn’t surprised where the shortage point has now intensified...it’s just what I call adapting to market conditions!

Anyway...my 2p worth for the day and had no issue with my warranty card being held as it allowed me to have this as well as other watches I wanted to own and KEEP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
365DAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 07:20 PM   #69
delboylee
"TRF" Member

It’s just someone’s opinion.... I don’t believe much of it to be honest
delboylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 07:31 PM   #70
grimps
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 365DAS View Post
I don’t believe this has come from Rolex...yet.

No offence taken but I can assure you that my contact at the AD has no concerns that I’m any sort of flipper etc but it’s been something they’ve done I would say from around the time Basel 2018 pieces came in.

It’s interesting as my contact mentioned that something has been going around and they were told about it this morning...clearly this is what they were referring to.

Anyway, what’s interesting is that they said that they “feel” from next year they won’t be withholding any warranty cards.

My personal view is that Rolex probably don’t have any real concerns that ADs (and yes, it’s not just the WoS Group but other independents also) holding the cards back but maybe there is more heat coming their way from a governing bodies and sales acts etc. If that’s the case then I’m sure Rolex would intervene as it is their brand in question.

The only time I had a card withheld was after Basel 2018 for my Pepsi , I got it in May 2018 and it was one of the first released.
My dealer (Local family owned independent) who I'd bought over 15 Rolex from told me that it was a Rolex directive.
2 months later he messaged me and said I can have the card back as they didn't feel comfortable keeping it from a good customer.
A further 2 Months later my Pepsi went back to Rolex under warranty as the Date wheel was misaligned , my dealer was happy to se it come back
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 07:35 PM   #71
Gary.
"TRF" Member

One UK dealer obviously can't be responsible for the worldwide Rolex shortage but it would be naive to assume that there aren't dealers doing the same, or similar, in other countries.

In most industries, people keep an eye on what competitors are doing and implement similar strategies if they seem to make sense.
Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 08:05 PM   #72
Rwatcher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffS View Post
I think they will have to. WoS control so much of the UK Rolex market that I can't see anyone getting away with retaining cards if WoS is not.
I best reach out to my AD then two cards currently being held and as much as they safe with them. It's nice to have them in possession as I am sure others will agree.
Rwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 08:30 PM   #73
greentimgreen
"TRF" Member

Just been told by WOS that I can collect my warranty card too...

greentimgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 10:35 PM   #74
365DAS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentimgreen View Post
Just been told by WOS that I can collect my warranty card too...

Also received a call from my AD this morning letting me know that mine are ready to collect (one which they’ve only held since this Monday!)

365DAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 01:35 AM   #75
Fire bloke
Banned

Cards this week
presents next ..when all the withheld stock is released
Who said there was no such thing as Christmas

Shortage ..what shortage
Fire bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 04:41 AM   #76
Luap1976
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610lnBBetaBBhar
This is amazing news if true so we will all be able to walk into a wos ad and buy a hulk ?I'm calling every ad in the uk again tommrow lol
Luap1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 04:56 AM   #77
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
Turns out WoS is on the verge of making some retail acquisitions (just google them and check the news).

I'm guessing they're testing the lines of legality with regards to how they implement the allocation model and want to mitigate their risks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luap1976 View Post
This is amazing news if true so we will all be able to walk into a wos ad and buy a hulk ?I'm calling every ad in the uk again tommrow lol
I would be very, very surprised if they started opening their allocations to the public. There's just no obligation to.
Old 12 December 2019, 04:57 AM   #78
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 04:59 AM   #79
Luap1976
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610lnBBetaBBhar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
I will get a retail hulk even if it kills me ha ha
Luap1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 05:03 AM   #80
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I will get a retail hulk even if it kills me ha ha
It’s a truly lovely piece mate
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 01:36 PM   #81
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Hahaha.. that’s funny!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 07:16 PM   #82
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

I got an email to come collect my card, weeks before it was due...
thesharkfactor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 07:30 PM   #83
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

I don't buy any of this story.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 08:46 PM   #84
Highlatitude
"TRF" Member

More stock for the grey market to try to vacuum up before it gets to the general public. More pressure for them to find the liquidity to do so when prices have already peaked and the buyers are just not there at the prices the greys are selling for. They are already sitting on a dangerously high amount of stock and have low cash flow and liquidity. I don’t think the bubble will burst but this will help speed up the gentle deflation that is already in progress.
Highlatitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 10:22 PM   #85
tenerific
"TRF" Member

BLROs still trading for 16.5 usd on ebay so the bubble has hardly burst :-/

tenerific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 10:50 PM   #86
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
I don't buy any of this story.
Really?
Read many posts above yours, people are getting emails and calls to pick up their held warranty cards. Is it just a coincidence? I think not.

Is everything in the authors story correct? Perhaps not. But some of it seems to be true, especially with the held warranty cards.

Will hot models now flow to the little guy, non-VIP, time will tell.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 11:07 PM   #87
~dadam02~
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenerific View Post
BLROs still trading for 16.5 usd on ebay so the bubble has hardly burst :-/

Offered price or sold price?
~dadam02~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 02:18 AM   #88
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
I picked up a BLRO from WoS in London on Tuesday and was given the warranty card. Also the card to a TT SD I bought six months ago.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 03:17 AM   #89
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Warranty cards are being released,,,
Change in the air????,,,
For the positive hopefully,,,,
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 03:30 AM   #90
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Great news. I assume mayor’s will also comply and stop holding cards.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote