The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 25 July 2021, 11:58 PM   #91
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
One thing people may or may not know about tipping in restaurants, at least, is the fact that in my experience tips go into a kitty. If you tip your waiter either by credit card or cash, my experience was it went into a pool.

From that pool, wait staff then tipped bar tenders and busboys (bus people). The money you tip did not go directly to the person who served you. So although you got great service from one person, the tip was divided to the other people who may or may not give good service.

At the end of the shift the pool was divided, and in the case of credit cards at the end of the month the money is divided.

If you stuff, say a big bill into the pocket of a waitress for excellent service I'm not sure that morally she'd feel right about keeping it to herself, because tips are shared and it could cause friction if people are hoarding their tips.

Very good observation, with modern POS systems tips can be divided to individual servers or pooled together. Really depends on the place. I don't know of any place that pools cash tips, but servers are expected to tip out their bus Boys and bartenders at the end of a shift. A few bars did on really busy days and it led to the people in charge embezzling. People can always lie. But in the instance the tips are pooled, id imagine the business and fellow employees wouldn't tolerate non team players
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 11:59 PM   #92
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
It also helps keep TRF ad free. Have you ever frequented a website where ads pop up every time you go to a new page?
The AD free experience is priceless!
You mean the mods here aren't pulling in 6 figure salaries !?!?! Blasphemy going to have to start a $4,000 limited VIP group
Old 26 July 2021, 12:00 AM   #93
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post
Good observation. Theres nothing like an own goal when being so sanctimonious.

Please elaborate. I don’t understand what my “goal” was in my comments. Other than to get people to think about those that are servicing them I’m at a loss. If you want to call being humble, generous and putting others before oneself an agenda then shoot your shot homie. I’d rather be the guy with the agenda in this situation and I hate agendas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 12:01 AM   #94
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post
Very good observation, with modern POS systems tips can be divided to individual servers or pooled together. Really depends on the place. I don't know of any place that pools cash tips, but servers are expected to tip out their bus Boys and bartenders at the end of a shift. A few bars did on really busy days and it led to the people in charge embezzling. People can always lie. But in the instance the tips are pooled, id imagine the business and fellow employees wouldn't tolerate non team players

I have the same experience with my knowledge of how tips work. Bartenders also tip a percentage to the kitchen staff in a few places.

Old 26 July 2021, 12:02 AM   #95
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Tipping has gotten out of hand (USA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post
The AD free experience is priceless!
You mean the mods here aren't pulling in 6 figure salaries !?!?! Blasphemy going to have to start a $4,000 limited VIP group

Tapatalk doesn’t have any ads. Can’t remember the last time I’ve signed in on personal computer.

Old 26 July 2021, 12:37 AM   #96
np2016
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, AP,
I was always under the impression you tip or give a very generous gratuity when someone goes above and beyond the normal quality/level/speed of service you should expect not when someone just does the bare minimum.
np2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 01:31 AM   #97
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
Thank you for the kind words.

I don’t want to nit pick everything in this thread but do want to get your back on this. You seem like a stand up dude me what sealed it for me was your Batman appearance at Halloween. I genuinely agree with a lot of your thoughts, both on this thread and others. So I’m standing on my soapbox here in alignment with you.

I think the golden rule should be do as one see’s fit. Some people love diamonds on a men’s watch, some people think the 5 digit gmt is the best thing since sliced bread, some people rock 6 figure Hublots. Who cares right, to each their own. If someone wants to tip and someone doesn’t, who cares, it’s all personal preference.

My personal stance: I like dogs more than humans. I would avoid all humans if possible lol. But when I do extend myself to interact with someone, id prefer a pleasant experience. As such I tend to treat people nicely. I wasn’t always this way, but marrying a better person rubbed off on me :) I personally think if someone struggles with the debate to not buy a grey market Daytona and only spend 14k on one at msrp, they can easily spare a few bucks and tip your server, your mailman, your AD etc.

As for pledging: I have been here a while and have never done so. My main reason is just laziness and not wanting to spend more time on here than I do, pledging would probably make me do that. I also don’t like how it’s made under your name with big letters etc. Like it’s for show. If it were anonymous, I’d feel better about doing so. I have no issues with those who do or who don’t. There are certain members who tend to look down and ignore anyone who doesn’t pledge. They are the kind of people that make me like dogs more than humans :) I figured the TS pay a share to have their listings at the top of the FS sections and that’s enough to keep this place running and ad free.
Pw92676 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 01:43 AM   #98
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
I don’t want to nit pick everything in this thread but do want to get your back on this. You seem like a stand up dude me what sealed it for me was your Batman appearance at Halloween. I genuinely agree with a lot of your thoughts, both on this thread and others. So I’m standing on my soapbox here in alignment with you.

I think the golden rule should be do as one see’s fit. Some people love diamonds on a men’s watch, some people think the 5 digit gmt is the best thing since sliced bread, some people rock 6 figure Hublots. Who cares right, to each their own. If someone wants to tip and someone doesn’t, who cares, it’s all personal preference.

My personal stance: I like dogs more than humans. I would avoid all humans if possible lol. But when I do extend myself to interact with someone, id prefer a pleasant experience. As such I tend to treat people nicely. I wasn’t always this way, but marrying a better person rubbed off on me :) I personally think if someone struggles with the debate to not buy a grey market Daytona and only spend 14k on one at msrp, they can easily spare a few bucks and tip your server, your mailman, your AD etc.

As for pledging: I have been here a while and have never done so. My main reason is just laziness and not wanting to spend more time on here than I do, pledging would probably make me do that. I also don’t like how it’s made under your name with big letters etc. Like it’s for show. If it were anonymous, I’d feel better about doing so. I have no issues with those who do or who don’t. There are certain members who tend to look down and ignore anyone who doesn’t pledge. They are the kind of people that make me like dogs more than humans :) I figured the TS pay a share to have their listings at the top of the FS sections and that’s enough to keep this place running and ad free.

I appreciate the support and wholeheartedly agree with everything in your post. Always look at your posts and agree myself.

As for the Batman suit, I probably should have kept that story to myself as it could be portrayed as “tooting my own horn” so to speak. I posted it, to in essence do the same thing I tried to do in this thread. Encourage our peers to sit back, realize we are a blessed bunch on this forum and to take a little time to help others when presented the opportunity.

Again, thank you!!

Old 26 July 2021, 02:01 AM   #99
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

Judging a person doesn’t define who they are. It defines who you are.

timepieceluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 02:35 AM   #100
Mifune
Banned

I tip this thread...
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 02:37 AM   #101
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

This seems to be a part of the equations as well....how we pay people in this country.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/akgy...ign=pockethits
Old 26 July 2021, 03:02 AM   #102
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This seems to be a part of the equations as well....how we pay people in this country.

Thanks for the article, it was a good read.

I never really thought about the aspect that the stimulus money itself wasn't driving people to not work at all, just seek out better employment opportunities because they aren't so crunched for time or money. I hope strategically this plays out well in our country, more people making more money, means more taxes, means better infrastructure hopefully, only time will tell. I will admit I've seen wages go from ~11/hr starting to 14+ at most places here in 3 -6 months so the squeeze is working. Hopefully it is something that leads to lasting change.
Old 26 July 2021, 03:19 AM   #103
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
I had dinner alone at the bar of a nice restaurant last night while the fam is out of town at the in-laws, and realized after I left that I totally tipped based on % and not work done. I paid like $15 for someone to hand me a salad and steak

Always tip for performance, never a %.

Sent using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 03:31 AM   #104
Jocke
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Quote:

Interesting article.

The system is completely wrongly built if the workers are to rely on the customer's goodness. What are the unions doing about it?
Or can the workers not afford to join the unions?

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 03:39 AM   #105
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
Interesting article.

The system is completely wrongly built if the workers are to rely on the customer's goodness. What are the unions doing about it?
Or can the workers not afford to join the unions?
In the US union busting has been a thing for years, and Amazon recently was able to stop a union from forming.

On the whole American are probably anti union, probably because they have been duped by corporation efforts and politicians to dismantle them or not have them happening in the first place.

Historically after WW2, unions were one of the main reasons that a middle class was created in the US. Since the 1980s their number have dwindled for various reasons and the middle class has shrunk as a result of it and corporations now basically control everything.

A lot of the public was not in favor of some of the tactics of the United Auto workers and the Teamsters and that helped create an anti union atmosphere as well. A lot of people thought globalization was a result of unions demanding too much money so corporations went overseas, but they would have gone overseas for cheap labor anyways. There has also been a backlash against Teachers Unions.

The problem in the US is that the money and the corporations control the narrative and the average American get fed a daily dose of whatever benefits the powerful. A lot of it is everyone hates the unions except the one they belong to.
Old 26 July 2021, 05:00 AM   #106
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Old 26 July 2021, 07:39 AM   #107
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post

Mr Pink!

austinp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 10:22 AM   #108
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Just the tip.
Old 26 July 2021, 12:31 PM   #109
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Tip what you can afford and for service. Take out $1-$3 is fine.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 12:32 PM   #110
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
Mr Pink!

Nevermind what you normally would do. I paid for your meal now cough up a buck.

I love that line
Old 27 July 2021, 12:23 PM   #111
Danny83

Watch: Yellow Gold
I pay cash for to go stuff so I dont have to tip. I will tip at restaurants 15-20%
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2021, 02:24 PM   #112
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

If you got money for the whiskey, you got money for the ice.

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2021, 08:34 PM   #113
Sperry
"TRF" Member

A month ago while purchasing a single medium cup of house coffee with milk (not cream), I walked away from the CC terminal without completing the "tip" part of the transaction. After a few seconds, glancing back, I realized the next person in line could have tapped, "30%" or whatever ...

While I usually over-tip this one house, lately the employees seem too indifferent. "No problem", as they increasingly seem to want to say.

That said, on a recent 5,000 mile RT drive to help out in-laws [and vacation for a month], I tipped heavily in out-of-the-way spots, turning a frazzled struggling waitress into a beaming waitress. As she realized her co-workers and boss did not see it, she does not have to split it, her baby / children will have something extra this week. Call it post-covid sharing of unspent cash. A $10 or $20 here, a $100 there, a little giving back for a relatively painless, cushy quarantine.
Sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2021, 11:26 PM   #114
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
will pledge as soon as I get on my comp and figure out how to.
Mr. Goat, I enjoyed and appreciated your first post in this thread, thank you for that. As for pledging, yeah.... well.... don't let anyone guilt you into it.

This forum is paid for with ads (they're subtle, but they're present), "trusted seller" dedicated forums, and us contributors. I like the way it is, and I certainly don't want this to turn into a forum like that very popular and somewhat annoying Porsche forum where many people seem to think that you must contribute or your opinion doesn't count. It made sense back when it was owned by enthusiasts (as is this forum) but it doesn't make sense now that it's owned by a conglomerate. OK, OK, I'll get off of my soapbox now.

Quote:
I would avoid all humans if possible lol.

Quote:
I personally think if someone struggles with the debate to not buy a grey market Daytona and only spend 14k on one at msrp, they can easily spare a few bucks and tip your server, your mailman, your AD etc.
although I don't tip my mailman/person because a) turnover and b) they don't do such a great job

And my AD makes plenty of money, they don't need a tip. OK, maybe if I got a watch I'd be more generous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sperry View Post
...I walked away from the CC terminal without completing the "tip" part of the transaction. After a few seconds, glancing back, I realized the next person in line could have tapped, "30%" or whatever ...
I know it wasn't your intent, but after reading the entire post, I was reminded of the "Seinfeld" episode where George puts a tip in the jar, and it wasn't noticed or acknowledged, so he pulled it out until someone could see him put it in, but all they saw was him removing money.

Still funny.

Anyway, back to the arguing...

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2021, 04:57 AM   #115
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

Agree that it is getting out of hand. It's annoying to go into a place where you have to order at a counter, pickup your order from a counter, and the only service could be as easily and more conveniently be performed by an iPad (and oftentimes is actually performed by an iPad) and being confronted with tip choices of 20, 25 and 30%!

I love good service and hopelessly overtip and restaurants, bars, etc., but the "tip jar", particularly the electronic variety, is just everywhere and feels much more like a way for owners to justify minimum wage to their employees. The fact that you're pretty much guilted into tipping whether you like it or not has lowered the bar for service, not raised it. It's a reward for bad behavior now.

I tip 15% at a mediterranean carryout place from which I order online and pickup myself. I order from them weekly (often multiple time a week), spending at least $200-300/month there (practically a car payment to a lot of people). They make mistakes in my order from time to time, and I now always ask them if they've checked it. Saturday evening they pretty much butchered the order (they said they checked it but obviously didn't), which is nuts because I order it online and exactly the same way every time. I called them, and they acted like it's no big deal, they'll just credit me back the difference, but that really isn't the point. I like the place, the owner and people who work there are nice, but it's frustrating, especially when you've tipped for good service and have been let down yet again. I'm also a little over the argument that the people who work in this kind of industry are struggling to make ends meet when they all seem to have money for $1,200 phones, expensive headphones, $200 sneakers and ink from their wrists to their shoulders. And it makes me nuts to go into a place and stand there waiting for help while they are staring at Tik Tok videos.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2021, 04:59 AM   #116
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
While I fundamentally agree with those who've pointed out that customers are subsidizing an employers ability to pay appropriate wages, I still tip. I also mostly go to sit down/dine in restaurants.

I eat out a lot, and have 8-10 restaurants/bars within a few hundred feet of my front door. The people in the service industry know me as a regular and by first name. A decent lunch or dinner for one is $10-$15, a beer is $3-$6. So tossing on an extra few bucks is inconsequential. And asking the server or bartender about themselves when they're slow cost nothing.

I get great service at the places I frequent and genuine relationships/conversations, which is worth more than money to me.
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2021, 05:02 AM   #117
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
So I guess you are not happy with this forum when you not pledge, right?
Hmmm... you might be onto something. Perhaps it's time supporting members stop answering questions from non-members who apparently do not value TRF.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2021, 05:55 AM   #118
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Hmmm... you might be onto something. Perhaps it's time supporting members stop answering questions from non-members who apparently do not value TRF.
I don’t think much of the cancel culture, gladly pay a small subscription for the hours I spent here myself. If others choose not to, what I don’t understand btw, but it’s up to them. Doesn’t make them any less than any other imho
Old 28 July 2021, 06:04 AM   #119
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
I don’t think much of the cancel culture, gladly pay a small subscription for the hours I spent here myself. If others choose not to, what I don’t understand btw, but it’s up to them. Doesn’t make them any less than any other imho
Old 28 July 2021, 01:11 PM   #120
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
I agree in spirit with the OP. Squeezing tip money for things not worthy of it is getting a bit much.

Traditional tipping services provided, I tip generously. Especially where we have a relationship with the business and people.

AF_Rob is online now   Reply With Quote