The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 15 June 2009, 11:22 AM   #1
KJacques
"TRF" Member

Watch: the skies
Embarrassed to wear a bathing suit this Summer?

I got too heavy this past holiday season until I felt disgusted looking in the mirror. I've just completed a 12 week program to try and get in shape and carve off all the extra fat I've been carrying for awhile. It's been a long, difficult haul, but I'm slowly getting more to where I want to be. I'm not there yet, but I've knocked a chunk off, dropping from around 20% body fat to around 10.5 now. I can't tell you how much better I feel energy wise and it's also nice feeling the clothes fitting right.

Is anyone else getting ready for summer by knocking off those pounds and getting in shape? I thought this would be a good time to share advice and offer incentive and inspiration to others going through the same thing or maybe even thinking about starting a program of their own. I've certainly learned a lot through problem solving of the challenges I ran across.

What's going on in your life right now that you're doing to meet these fitness goals? And how is it going for you? Are you stalled out? Are you frustrated? Are you having great success?

Come on! Share your experience. Anybody brave enough to post a before picture and after pic?
KJacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2009, 11:24 AM   #2
ijen0311
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
I'm trying to lose 5-10 pounds. I'm not weighing in though, just trying to eat better and work out. I'll weigh in a few weeks and see how I've done. I do notice that even after just about 2 weeks my clothes fit better!

I worked out almost every day last week, so I'm proud of that. It will also surely help with my high cholesterol problem.

Now... a before and after bathing suit pic? I'll pass on that one.
ijen0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2009, 11:49 AM   #3
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 DATEJUST41 Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: Me!!!
You know that the first 3 letters os Diet is DIE????i just cant refuse food...as much as i want to loose weight..i just cant stand not eating...Life is short...might aswell die happy...
Old 15 June 2009, 11:51 AM   #4
Yume-sama
"TRF" Member

Watch: Plat. Masterpiece
Honestly, I just don't DO the beach or public pools.

If I'm really, really, in the mood to go swimming I will call up my uncle and invite myself over for dinner.
Yume-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2009, 12:00 PM   #5
RolexPete32
"TRF" Member

Watch: You know... Rolex
This new Yoga club opened out in my city a little less then a year ago. It is a hot yoga club. I really enjoy it and since I started. Been going since the first day it opened 3 or 4 times a week. I feel stronger and lighter. I was chunking out a bit before I started this routine.
RolexPete32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2009, 12:10 PM   #6
djhiram
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600 Sea Dweller
This is actually something that has crossed my mind a lot within the past year and I've finally decided to do something about it. I used to play football in high school and was getting recruited to play college ball but suffered a knee injury. Against doctor's orders I returned to the team for the final 2 games of my senior year, but the scholarship offer had been retracted because of the injury. Anyhow at that time I was 5'10, 205 lbs and 11% body fat.

10 years later I'm 180 lbs and at last check 17% body fat. I'm starting that P90X program tomorrow that supposedly promises to get you in the best shape of your life in 90 days. We'll see how it goes! Has anyone tried that program out?

- Charriol Columbus Chrono M.O.P Dial
- Handfull of G-Shocks
- Rolex Bluesy
Co-Founder of the Brothers of the Leaf Society
djhiram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2009, 12:37 PM   #7
Taffi Abernathy
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ, SS DJ
Straightforward formula: no bathing suit = no embarrassment.
Old 15 June 2009, 12:42 PM   #8
Idle Swede
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffi Abernathy View Post

For most people that would be a great embarrasment...
Idle Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2009, 12:47 PM   #9
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
I guess I'm one of the lucky guys, inherited genes that have kept me around 180 for the last 15 years or so. Summer or winter I'm about the same.
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2009, 01:09 PM   #10
Taffi Abernathy
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ, SS DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle Swede View Post
For most people that would be a great
embarrasment...

I think you know what I meant, fresh boy!
Old 15 June 2009, 01:26 PM   #11
Skullring
"TRF" Member

Watch: Triple 6 SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffi Abernathy View Post
No bathing suit? Yea! Pics please.
Old 15 June 2009, 01:27 PM   #12
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
My exercising regime is bicycling and then more bicycling. Tomorrow I start two a day workouts, one in the morning and one in the evening. I'll admit that this past winter I gained a couple more pounds then normal but I have already worked off 7 lbs. In the next month I should loose another 10 lbs. and be down to 127 lbs. and feeling better. I think this next winter(Chicago area) I'm going to have to bicycle to help keep the weight down!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2009, 01:29 PM   #13
ijen0311
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion View Post
My exercising regime is bicycling and then more bicycling. Tomorrow I start two a day workouts, one in the morning and one in the evening. I'll admit that this past winter I gained a couple more pounds then normal but I have already worked off 7 lbs. In the next month I should loose another 10 lbs. and be down to 127 lbs. and feeling better. I think this next winter(Chicago area) I'm going to have to bicycle to help keep the weight down!!!
127 lbs? You're small!
Old 15 June 2009, 01:31 PM   #14
C. Davidson
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT (116710)
Kevin, Im right there with you. So far im 6 weeks in to a 16 week program to get my weight down, so far lost 10 pounds. Clothes starting to fit nicer, but still got a way to go. My 2 pack would look nicer as a 6 pac, but one step at a time. My goal is to run 5+ times a week, at least 3.5 miles per run.

And no, Im too cowardly to post a before and after pic. This is going to be a good summer time thread, lets keep it alive with weekly updates.
#15,634

"The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out."
C. Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2009, 01:31 PM   #15
djhiram
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600 Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijen0311 View Post
127 lbs? You're small!
Jen...be nice. He's Petite

- Charriol Columbus Chrono M.O.P Dial
- Handfull of G-Shocks
- Rolex Bluesy
Co-Founder of the Brothers of the Leaf Society
djhiram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2009, 01:36 PM   #16
ijen0311
"TRF" Member

I'll use this as my "before"

Old 15 June 2009, 01:42 PM   #17
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...
Quote:

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Mosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2009, 01:51 PM   #18
Lion
"TRF" Member

Quote:
127 lbs? You're small!
Yep, I'm 5'5" tall and proud of it!!!
And I can kick @$$ on a bicycle.....

Old 15 June 2009, 01:52 PM   #19
Lion
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Before what!!! LOL!!!

Old 15 June 2009, 02:55 PM   #20
Gerry
"TRF" Member

Watch: Z Series 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJacques View Post
I got too heavy this past holiday season until I felt disgusted looking in the mirror. I've just completed a 12 week program to try and get in shape and carve off all the extra fat I've been carrying for awhile. It's been a long, difficult haul, but I'm slowly getting more to where I want to be. I'm not there yet, but I've knocked a chunk off, dropping from around 20% body fat to around 10.5 now. I can't tell you how much better I feel energy wise and it's also nice feeling the clothes fitting right.
10.5% is pretty amazing!!! You must be cut by now! Photos?

What bodyfat percentage do you want to go down to?
Old 15 June 2009, 07:15 PM   #21
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

Man I'm always embarrassed...I look like Eddie Honda!

J
Jimbits76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2009, 07:43 PM   #22
walds11
"TRF" Member

I am sort of in the same boat, married with kids and have gained weight since I got married in 2000. I used to play ice hockey in high school and college and was in the shape of my life back then. Being tall (6') and slender helps, but I have a nice bear gut. I have not exercised or eaten healthy since my second child was born about 4 years ago. Maybe I need to lose 10-15 lbs, maybe more. I need to start doing something!!!
Old 15 June 2009, 09:16 PM   #23
ndane
"TRF" Member

i'm all ready for summer. last august, i stood at 5 foot 10, 215 pounds and am now 151 pounds. i lowered my caloric intake to around 1000 a day and ran about three miles a day 4-5 times per week. now, i've slowed down the cardio and am just doing weight training. i'm very happy
ndane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2009, 11:02 PM   #24
KJacques
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybump View Post
You know that the first 3 letters os Diet is DIE????i just cant refuse food...as much as i want to loose weight..i just cant stand not eating...Life is short...might aswell die happy...
Dieting spells Doom. It's like a punishment you put yourself through for letting yourself get overweight. You can't live like that all the time so you end up yo-yoing up and down in weight. The goal has to be a different way of eating. I don't do well if I feel that I'm being deprived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhiram View Post
This is actually something that has crossed my mind a lot within the past year and I've finally decided to do something about it. I used to play football in high school and was getting recruited to play college ball but suffered a knee injury. Anyhow at that time I was 5'10, 205 lbs and 11% body fat.

10 years later I'm 180 lbs and at last check 17% body fat. I'm starting that P90X program tomorrow that supposedly promises to get you in the best shape of your life in 90 days. We'll see how it goes! Has anyone tried that program out?
I've also suffered a bad knee injury when I was in high school, so I know that challenge. I've looked into the P90X program and it looks like a very tough and powerful way to reach those goals. You don't get to the best shape of your life by strolling around the block and radically reducing calories as many people do. Please keep us posted on your progress and I'm pulling for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion View Post
Geez, at 130, I'm not going to go chase after you on a bicycle! You've obviously kept yourself trim and lean. Is your metabolism fast or is does the bicycling keep you at this fighting trim? What is your eating like?
Old 15 June 2009, 11:16 PM   #25
valentine
Banned

Watch: TT Diamond DJ
I'm so covered in tattoos...no one even pays attention to my "belly"!!!!!!!
valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2009, 11:19 PM   #26
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan View Post
I guess I'm one of the lucky guys, inherited genes that have kept me around 180 for the last 15 years or so. Summer or winter I'm about the same.
Same here, Al. I took my time and chose the right parents.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2009, 11:22 PM   #27
KJacques
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Davidson View Post
Kevin, Im right there with you. So far im 6 weeks in to a 16 week program to get my weight down, so far lost 10 pounds. Clothes starting to fit nicer, but still got a way to go. My 2 pack would look nicer as a 6 pac, but one step at a time. My goal is to run 5+ times a week, at least 3.5 miles per run.

And no, Im too cowardly to post a before and after pic. This is going to be a good summer time thread, lets keep it alive with weekly updates.
Wow, 10 pounds in the first 6 weeks is great. How are you eating? Are you combining anything with the running? My weight did not change at all during the first 6 weeks so had to go by some body fat calipers.

Quote:

Jen, you look great in clothes! And you're a Florida girl so the beach could be a weekly possibility. How do you feel in a bathing suit? What do you do to keep trim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
10.5% is pretty amazing!!! You must be cut by now! Photos?

What bodyfat percentage do you want to go down to?
I'm a whole lot better, but I'm still carrying that smearing of fat, most of it on my lower ab and love handles. The hardest of all to remove. I actually took some after pictures this weekend and might post later. I was way too ashamed to even take before pictures. That's what gave me my motivation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbits76 View Post
Man I'm always embarrassed...I look like Eddie Honda!

J
Eddie Honda? With your height and size you should be thinking Dolph Lundgren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
I am sort of in the same boat, married with kids and have gained weight since I got married in 2000. I used to play ice hockey in high school and college and was in the shape of my life back then. Being tall (6') and slender helps, but I have a nice bear gut. I have not exercised or eaten healthy since my second child was born about 4 years ago. Maybe I need to lose 10-15 lbs, maybe more. I need to start doing something!!!
I started slowly gaining weight after getting married and having my first kid, and it will continue until you finally decide that you need to do something. It can be pretty devastating when you see that happening and you come from a back ground of being very athletic. 10-15 lbs. can be solved in 12 weeks or less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndane View Post
i'm all ready for summer. last august, i stood at 5 foot 10, 215 pounds and am now 151 pounds. i lowered my caloric intake to around 1000 a day and ran about three miles a day 4-5 times per week. now, i've slowed down the cardio and am just doing weight training. i'm very happy
Damn! Then you need to post some pics if you can. This is the inspiring and a dramatic body change. You have to be happy. Good job and how long did it take when you made the decision?
Old 15 June 2009, 11:24 PM   #28
KJacques
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Same here, Al. I took my time and chose the right parents.
dP
Yeah, well you an Al got the deck stacked in your favor and with your heroic cycling activity, you'll stay looking great! How do you eat? Any tips for the rest of us?

I really think that this could be an inspiring thread so I hope we continue to get some more contributions and stories.
Old 15 June 2009, 11:29 PM   #29
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosco View Post
how much weight do you want to lose??? looks good to me??? am i missing something??
rolexgiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2009, 11:30 PM   #30
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

Quote:

how much weight do you want to lose???? looks good to me???? am i missing something??
rolexgiants is offline   Reply With Quote