The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 16 June 2009, 10:48 AM   #61
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
I'm 23 years old, and about 6'3". Ya, 1000 cals is VERY hard to do. A lot of people I work with have lost a LOT of weight VERY fast doing that diet. However, I simply cannot go from eating as much as I do (easily over 2500 calories a day), to just 1000. It's SUPER SUPER hard.
Well, I wish you good luck, but after years of experience I think you are going at it too aggressively. I'm no expert on anything other than what works for me though.
I'd suggest you try 5 or 6 small meals a day that total 2000 cals (I'm your height too) with some exercise around 500 cals a day. You'll lose a bunch the right way and you can hang in there w/o hunger for a loooong time.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2009, 10:51 AM   #62
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijen0311 View Post
I'll use this as my "before"

10-15 lbs from now you'll be fine. Not hard to do at all.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2009, 11:23 AM   #63
KJacques
"TRF" Member

Watch: the skies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy View Post
kevin you are in great shape did you not just turn 50? I'am 46 and 6'5" and about 320 pounds but my shape is some what pear to put it nicely. When I was pipe fitting full time was in good shape but due to injury that is not an option so for me to pare down would be drastic.
Should I eat less than 8000 calories a day...lol
I turned 50 this past october and worked to get in shape mostly to prove some naysayers wrong that once you're past a certain age, you can get in a little shape, but you're fighting too strong a current. 46 is a perfect age and you can get where you want to be. It only depends on how much you desire it. I have my own injuries also that I live with and I've learned to work around them. You just have to see what works for you through trial and error.

But dropping any extra weight you're carrying will help you all the way around. Especially to avoid future potential problems down the road. That's why I started this thread. There are a lot of people doing very inspirational things that can offer great advice and help people get started down that road..

I don't think I'd go above 7000 calories a day for best results.
KJacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2009, 11:25 AM   #64
KJacques
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
Its not so much that I would be embarrassed to be seen in a swimming costume, its that the swimming costume would be embarrassed about wearing me.
That, Dave, is a wonderful line.
Old 16 June 2009, 12:15 PM   #65
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Omega SMP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
Well, I wish you good luck, but after years of experience I think you are going at it too aggressively. I'm no expert on anything other than what works for me though.
I'd suggest you try 5 or 6 small meals a day that total 2000 cals (I'm your height too) with some exercise around 500 cals a day. You'll lose a bunch the right way and you can hang in there w/o hunger for a loooong time.
I think I'll try it that way. You are all definitely right, just starting out 1000 calories a day is just not enough. Besides, I still sneak in those midnight snacks when I know I shouldn't, but I guess my body is trying to tell me something (EAT MORE FOOD) lol
I'll try 1600 cals a day, and see how that goes.
Thanks !
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2009, 01:19 AM   #66
KJacques
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
I think I'll try it that way. You are all definitely right, just starting out 1000 calories a day is just not enough. Besides, I still sneak in those midnight snacks when I know I shouldn't, but I guess my body is trying to tell me something (EAT MORE FOOD) lol
I'll try 1600 cals a day, and see how that goes.
Thanks !
You know, Mike if you deny yourself too much, you're going to find yourself sneaking it in when you feel the weakest. Those midnight snacks are the ones to avoid. Keep yourself satisfied and then don't eat after 9:00.

But if you throw in the exercise, things go faster and your body takes on a healthy shape. You can up your overall calories too, which is a plus!

The thing is not to make this a torturous process. It really isn't.
Old 17 June 2009, 03:19 AM   #67
Deep Sea
"TRF" Member

Watch: A Rolex or two
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJacques View Post
You know, Mike if you deny yourself too much, you're going to find yourself sneaking it in when you feel the weakest. Those midnight snacks are the ones to avoid. Keep yourself satisfied and then don't eat after 9:00.

But if you throw in the exercise, things go faster and your body takes on a healthy shape. You can up your overall calories too, which is a plus!

The thing is not to make this a torturous process. It really isn't.
I've also found it easy to stave off the late night cravings by drinking some water, and then chewing some gum. Not sure of how the mental effect eliminates the hunger, but it works for me every time.
Deep Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2009, 03:47 AM   #68
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Old 17 June 2009, 03:53 AM   #69
Lamone
Banned

Watch: ya mawt!
In general, I'd love to lose 5 to 10 lbs.
I'm thinking of going to Miami in Aug, I gotta look the part.
Lamone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2009, 04:15 AM   #70
KJacques
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Sea View Post
I've also found it easy to stave off the late night cravings by drinking some water, and then chewing some gum. Not sure of how the mental effect eliminates the hunger, but it works for me every time.
That's a great tip. I usually have a cup of herbal tea at night while relaxing with a piece of hard candy. It has sugar, but it's a treat and it satisfies me for wanting to carve a piece of key lime pie.

What other tricks does any one have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamone View Post
In general, I'd love to lose 5 to 10 lbs.
I'm thinking of going to Miami in Aug, I gotta look the part.
That is all too easy. Are you working out too? Trying to work out a diet plan or need one?

BTW. Great cartoon, Frans. Wish more women would tell their men to pass on the speedo on the beach. It can be a great chick repellant.
Old 17 June 2009, 05:08 AM   #71
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Its not so much that I would be embarrassed to be seen in a swimming costume, its that the swimming costume would be embarrassed about wearing me.
Dave

We're british and proud

Pass the Hp and ketchup...was that three fried eggs with your black pudding, sausage, bacon, beans, fried slice, mushrooms and tomatoes or four?

J
Jimbits76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2009, 05:17 AM   #72
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbits76 View Post
Dave

We're british and proud

Pass the Hp and ketchup...was that three fried eggs with your black pudding, sausage, bacon, beans, fried slice, mushrooms and tomatoes or four?

J

I'm looking forward to a proper 'Only Fools & Horses' style fry-up

There's one thing that puzzles me from my first Majorca trip up to now: why do some Brits venture unprotected and ginger-haired into the blazing Spanish sun? To be cooked like a lobster?
Old 17 June 2009, 05:21 AM   #73
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:

BTW. Great cartoon, Frans. Wish more women would tell their men to pass on the speedo on the beach. It can be a great chick repellent.

That's why I wear a pair of Billabong swimming shorts It provides me with a, albeit the tiniest, hint of coolness If I would wear a pair of Speedos', Anne wouldn't want to be in a 100 feet near me
Old 17 June 2009, 05:47 AM   #74
Yume-sama
"TRF" Member

Watch: Plat. Masterpiece
Please guys, don't go on a 1000 calorie per day diet. You will literally waste away, and not just fat. Your body needs good fats (from eggs, nuts, etc.) and a healthy amount of calories. You should be eating about 10 calories for every pound you weigh for maintenance (not gaining or losing weight), and any deficits should be made up through weight training and cardio (aim for 3 - 4 cardio sessions per week, and 3 - 4 weight training sessions per week). Weight training along WITH cardio will help the fat melt away the fastest, and it will STAY gone, if you keep up with the weight training. You should be aiming for nothing more than 2 - 3 pounds per week of fat loss (depending on how much you weigh of course, it could be much less or much more), though in your first week you will be likely to lose a few times that, but it will be water weight.

If you DO go on a 1000 calorie per day diet, as soon as you get to your goal weight, you will put it all (or more) back on. You need a lifestyle, not a diet, and if 1000 becomes your lifestyle, you will end up getting very sick, and very frail. You'd be better off being a bit tubby!
Yume-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2009, 05:52 AM   #75
KJacques
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwatch View Post
That's why I wear a pair of Billabong swimming shorts It provides me with a, albeit the tiniest, hint of coolness If I would wear a pair of Speedos', Anne wouldn't want to be in a 100 feet near me
Only 100 feet? I'd say that was one wife who was being very kind. I don't know a woman that would even allow men they knew to even think about slipping that thing on in public...Not without a kick in the @ss first!
Old 17 June 2009, 05:53 AM   #76
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Please guys, don't go on a 1000 calorie per day diet. You will literally waste away, and not just fat. Your body needs good fats (from eggs, nuts, etc.) and a healthy amount of calories. You should be eating about 10 calories for every pound you weigh for maintenance (not gaining or losing weight), and any deficits should be made up through weight training and cardio (aim for 3 - 4 cardio sessions per week, and 3 - 4 weight training sessions per week). Weight training along WITH cardio will help the fat melt away the fastest, and it will STAY gone, if you keep up with the weight training. You should be aiming for nothing more than 2 - 3 pounds per week of fat loss (depending on how much you weigh of course, it could be much less or much more), though in your first week you will be likely to lose a few times that, but it will be water weight.

If you DO go on a 1000 calorie per day diet, as soon as you get to your goal weight, you will put it all (or more) back on. You need a lifestyle, not a diet, and if 1000 becomes your lifestyle, you will end up getting very sick, and very frail. You'd be better off being a bit tubby!
Wise words
Old 17 June 2009, 06:06 AM   #77
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm looking forward to a proper 'Only Fools & Horses' style fry-up

There's one thing that puzzles me from my first Majorca trip up to now: why do some Brits venture unprotected and ginger-haired into the blazing Spanish sun? To be cooked like a lobster?
They have to go home with some colour...be it brown tan, red burn or skinned rabbit purple agonising scars!

That's the whole point of holidays aint it?

J
Jimbits76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2009, 06:11 AM   #78
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Only 100 feet? I'd say that was one wife who was being very kind. I don't know a woman that would even allow men they knew to even think about slipping that thing on in public...Not without a kick in the @ss first!
The power of True Love
Old 17 June 2009, 06:26 AM   #79
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Dave

We're British and proud

J

A man after me own heart, all washed down with a mug o tea, luxury.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2009, 06:28 AM   #80
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:

A man after me own heart, all washed down with a mug o tea, luxury.
With milk I presume?
Old 17 June 2009, 06:42 AM   #81
KJacques
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The power of True Love
It's what they are there for. To protect us from ourselves.
Old 17 June 2009, 06:44 AM   #82
KJacques
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Dave

We're british and proud

J
Well, I do have to say that some proper fish and chips was one of your country's most significant contributions...to my expanding waistline.
Old 17 June 2009, 06:48 AM   #83
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's what they are there for. To protect us from ourselves.
So true although I have won the lottery with my Anne in this respect That doesn't mean I don't get the feared 'look' or even worse 'silent treatment' sometimes but it's worth it
Old 17 June 2009, 07:30 AM   #84
KJacques
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh1013 View Post
I use to be 6'4 but with a bad back I cant stand straight anymore...I can only get 6'2
I USE to be 225 before prednisone...and Had a 38 inch waist....
now im at 42 inches and is a little tight at 278lbs ....life sucks when you get old.
Greg, how did you injure your back? I know prednisone is going to bloat you up bad...are you still on it? Do you have info on what you can or cannot do exercise wise for yourself? How old are you now?

There are a lot of people struggling with this and as you get older, it does get more challenging and it does make life suck. The reason I posted this thread (tongue in cheek about the bathing wear issue) is that I went through it and in 12 weeks made dramatic restructuring of my life. There are a lot inspiring stories on here and it is never too late to get the ball rolling in your court. If you need a little help getting you in that direction, I and I'm sure a whole lot of others who have gone through it will be happy to help you get on that road. Look at it this way, 12 weeks is going to go past whether you do anything or not. You've got nothing to lose in that aspect.

And it's really not that difficult to do. Trust me.
Old 17 June 2009, 08:20 AM   #85
Carolina
"TRF" Member

Watch: it, Bubba!
12 weeks? Really?!
.Member #5380
Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2009, 01:59 PM   #86
KJacques
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina View Post
12 weeks? Really?!
12 weeks. Really.
Old 17 June 2009, 02:16 PM   #87
DanP
Banned

Watch: GV-U-Kno-Me :)
Im 6'5 and 230lbs . Am I fat? Does red wine and beer count as food? LOL
Im happy where I am but as I get older (27now) I ger more wider but not fatter, at 19 I was still 6'5 but was 185 lbs. Thats just life I reccon
DanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2009, 02:26 PM   #88
Omega_Precision
Banned

Watch: ing basketball
I do weight training MWF and light cardio such as jog for 10 minutes and then I get on the bike for a 15 minute intense ride, then cool off on the way home.

It's what you eat that makes you look the way you do. Of course, if you workout, you can eat anything you want but maintain a healthy lifestyle and eat healthy!

I'm going to stop alcohol consumption and see how it goes. Beer consumption will always get you bloated around the face and stomach.. I don't want to substitute my favorites for light beer either. We will see how it goes.
Omega_Precision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2009, 02:48 PM   #89
Ashley
"TRF" Member

Right now I am not exercising (I need to get back into it now that winter is over and it isn't -40 anymore
But since late 2007, I have lost about eighty pounds from changing my eating habits (and still not really exercising, I'm bad with that )
Here is a before from July 2007, in Florida. I tried to find one of the silliest pictures I could find:

And now? Well, here are some shots from my first ever fashion show :)

Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2009, 02:59 PM   #90
ryaus1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
Right now I am not exercising (I need to get back into it now that winter is over and it isn't -40 anymore
But since late 2007, I have lost about eighty pounds from changing my eating habits (and still not really exercising, I'm bad with that )
Here is a before from July 2007, in Florida. I tried to find one of the silliest pictures I could find:
Wow - that's amazing Ashley!

Here a before & after of myself (50lbs difference):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before & after.jpg (158.2 KB, 267 views)
ryaus1 is offline   Reply With Quote