The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 July 2023, 01:50 AM   #1
alangloi
"TRF" Member

Demand stays strong per WOS

My St. John's Town Center Mayor's Jewelers is down for remodeling and more (I think); That being said, https://finance.yahoo.com/news/deman...144413832.html was posted about a hour ago.

Headline: Demand for Rolex watches jumps as super-rich shrug off inflation crisis

"This has meant growing wait-lists for the pieces."

Edit: The website related to Mayors is now saying "Service options: No in-store shopping". It was saying "temporarily closed". I don't live all that close to the Town Center and have not gone by there to find out what's going on there. My last understanding was that Mayor's at the Town Center was unable to sell Rolex watches until they re-model the store to Rolex policies, which I assume they are currently in the process of doing.
alangloi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2023, 04:19 AM   #2
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

It’s looking more and more like there may not be a recession at all (at least in the US) and inflation seems to be calming.
This is despite almost everyone predicting one, which I’m certain had to have at least a small effect on luxury good spending. Which I imagine will rebound if a recession doesn’t happen.

So the, “I can’t wait until we start seeing GMTs is cases for sale” predictions might not come to fruition.
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2023, 04:29 AM   #3
Tylerlsu2008
"TRF" Member

I’ve also seen articles saying the exact opposite.

I’ll stick with my guns on this — I think the “non-watch” people are starting to flush out the market. And the more watches we start to see again, the less appealing they will be.

Humans are funny
Tylerlsu2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2023, 04:32 AM   #4
Notepad12
"TRF" Member

Actually seeing watches in the case for sale (PM/TT) is saying the opposite

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Notepad12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2023, 04:36 AM   #5
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alangloi View Post
My St. John's Town Center Mayor's Jewelers is down for remodeling and more (I think); That being said, https://finance.yahoo.com/news/deman...144413832.html was posted about a hour ago.

Headline: Demand for Rolex watches jumps as super-rich shrug off inflation crisis

"This has meant growing wait-lists for the pieces."

Edit: The website related to Mayors is now saying "Service options: No in-store shopping". It was saying "temporarily closed". I don't live all that close to the Town Center and have not gone by there to find out what's going on there. My last understanding was that Mayor's at the Town Center was unable to sell Rolex watches until they re-model the store to Rolex policies, which I assume they are currently in the process of doing.
Not true, I was at Mayor's Town Center Tuesday and they are open as normal, they even had a RG two-tone for sale, can't remember which model.
East of Eden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2023, 04:37 AM   #6
Tylerlsu2008
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notepad12 View Post
Actually seeing watches in the case for sale (PM/TT) is saying the opposite
Agreed — the full blown FOMO is gone.
Tylerlsu2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2023, 04:51 AM   #7
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Have yet to see any softening here. Seems like we are well due for a downturn in watch sales, even one very slight.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2023, 04:56 AM   #8
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Oddly enough, 1 year ago exactly I received 2 "calls" for what I asked for.... this year... Zero!

I did get offered a few pieces that I passed on, but I did not request them nor did I want them.
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2023, 04:57 AM   #9
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerlsu2008 View Post
Agreed — the full blown FOMO is gone.
FWIW, steel sports models (at least as of today) will likely always be hidden in the back, not on display. I can see TT/18k being easily available depending on the model.
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2023, 05:27 AM   #10
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Demand is still strong here also. Noticed a big line to get into Rolex boutique this past weekend. Only thing different is I see more exhibition models.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2023, 06:56 AM   #11
DavidUK
"TRF" Member

2 months ago a used SS GMT Pepsi ceramic was £20k in the UK, few for sale.

Today under £15k, many for sale.

It's sell, sell, sell over here. And just who is going to buy over list until used prices bottom out?
DavidUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2023, 07:53 AM   #12
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Demand still outstripping supply.

BTW am watching the WSOP 2023 and there are quite a few Rolex and other fine timepieces. In fact, the commentators have been mentioning them too on occasion.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2023, 06:46 PM   #13
JC316
"TRF" Member

If the news is reporting it, then it's dropping. They are ALWAYS behind.
JC316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2023, 06:46 PM   #14
JC316
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidUK View Post
2 months ago a used SS GMT Pepsi ceramic was £20k in the UK, few for sale.

Today under £15k, many for sale.

It's sell, sell, sell over here. And just who is going to buy over list until used prices bottom out?
Facts
Old 14 July 2023, 07:00 PM   #15
rolexgs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC316 View Post
If the news is reporting it, then it's dropping. They are ALWAYS behind.
like they were year and a half behind when the demand was really high? I doubt it.
rolexgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2023, 07:25 PM   #16
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC316 View Post
Facts
Absolute numbers mean nothing, trends are indicative. Throughout 2023, C24 has the average selling price for 126710BLRO at slightly above £18K and holding. If the sales trend is steady prices are not dropping. The big drops occured last year.

If you extrapolate the trends from 2020 ignoring the 2021 anomaly, trading values are around about where they would be expected. C24 tends to put values on the high side because it's averaging a world wide market of considerable diversity in asking price. However, the average selling price gives a trend which is reliable. Some models are trending down although not by much, the 126710BLRO is not.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2023, 08:22 PM   #17
JC316
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexgs View Post
like they were year and a half behind when the demand was really high? I doubt it.
Keep your head in the clouds! That's fine with me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Absolute numbers mean nothing, trends are indicative. Throughout 2023, C24 has the average selling price for 126710BLRO at slightly above £18K and holding. If the sales trend is steady prices are not dropping. The big drops occured last year.

If you extrapolate the trends from 2020 ignoring the 2021 anomaly, trading values are around about where they would be expected. C24 tends to put values on the high side because it's averaging a world wide market of considerable diversity in asking price. However, the average selling price gives a trend which is reliable. Some models are trending down although not by much, the 126710BLRO is not.
Wait.... you're not really using C24 to build your case... are you?
Old 14 July 2023, 08:26 PM   #18
clubrcr
Banned

Quote:
My St. John's Town Center Mayor's Jewelers is down for remodeling and more (I think); .
I was at Underwoods a couple of weeks ago and the sales associate told that Mayors at Town Center had lost their Rolex franchise.
clubrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2023, 11:30 PM   #19
kkqd1337
"TRF" Member

Watches of Switzerland are just saying what they want their investors and shareholders to hear.
kkqd1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2023, 12:06 AM   #20
Rolexatlast
"TRF" Member

Man that sells watches says buying watches is good investment
Rolexatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2023, 12:40 AM   #21
alangloi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of Eden View Post
Not true, I was at Mayor's Town Center Tuesday and they are open as normal, they even had a RG two-tone for sale, can't remember which model.
That's good to know; I was in the area two weeks ago and didn't stop by the store as the web they said were temporarily closed. I only go to the town center area twice a year. The last time I was there (about six months ago) they had no Rolex watches in the display case, and the floor manager explained why.
Old 15 July 2023, 12:59 AM   #22
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's good to know; I was in the area two weeks ago and didn't stop by the store as the web they said were temporarily closed. I only go to the town center area twice a year. The last time I was there (about six months ago) they had no Rolex watches in the display case, and the floor manager explained why.
Lots of Rolex watches in the display cases there
East of Eden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2023, 01:01 AM   #23
Jsanders1985
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I spoke with the manager at Mayors about 2 months ago and she said they are not a Rolex AD for the next year or so while they undergo renovations. They do sell used Rolex watches now though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jsanders1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2023, 01:02 AM   #24
Jsanders1985
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of Eden View Post
Lots of Rolex watches in the display cases there

Those are used watches.

Jsanders1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2023, 07:44 AM   #25
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Inflation is stabilised but it's going to be sticky for a while with possibly more interest hikes to come. Availability seems to be mildly improving while demand is softening. That's where we're at.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2023, 08:40 AM   #26
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

So, I can walk in and get a Sub, or Pepsi? Surely a DD40 of my choosing. Yes?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2023, 02:19 PM   #27
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

***It's Not Happening***

At least not yet. Far from it.

Plenty, plenty, plenty of people still have gobs and gobs of easy and discretionary money to spend on whatever they would like...including Rolex watches...

Some of that attention (and money) is being diverted to fun vacations and adventures now that things are settled down in terms of travel...so the prices have settled out a bit...but it's not anywhere close to being a fire sale...come get your Rolex at 20% off!!!!
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2023, 10:03 PM   #28
alangloi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsanders1985 View Post
I spoke with the manager at Mayors about 2 months ago and she said they are not a Rolex AD for the next year or so while they undergo renovations. They do sell used Rolex watches now though.

That was pretty much my understanding from my discussion of six months ago. I did a search of the official Rolex web site for Rolex dealers, and although there are Mayor's dealers listed in South Florida as a AD, the only AD listed in NE Florida is currently Underwoods.

Thank you for the information, saves me a trip to the Town Center in this warm Florida Summer weather... :)
Old 15 July 2023, 10:33 PM   #29
Yobber76
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
Current shoppers have trained themselves to believe that because you can't walk into a store and buy something at the MSRP, that the online prices are the real prices. And yes, if you have FOMO and have to have it now, they are the real prices. Really inflated prices.
So when a $9000 (new) watch which was selling for $18,000 (used) online and is now $15,000, people think the market has moved down. To me it's now $6-8000 inflated, and I have no interest in buying it.
As long as some Rolex, or AP, or PP models can sell on the market used at a substantial premium to MSRP, the market isn't crashing. As long as you can walk into an AD and they tell you they have no Rolex watches for sale, (whether they have them in the safe or not) the market isn't crashing. Buying a TT DJ 41 at $3,000 above MSRP when you wanted a BLRO, isn't winning to me. Buying $30k worth of jewelry to buy a $10,000 watch isn't winning to me. I'll buy a Breitling or a Panerai new with a discount, and walk out of the store wearing it.
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2023, 02:23 AM   #30
dannyp
Banned

Imagine that: a self-serving statement from a company that lives and dies on its ability to quickly turn inventory of watches (and is probably not a few months from insolvency if the market takes a massive dive).
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote