The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 March 2018, 12:48 AM   #31
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Thanks you for your very valuable contribution to this thread. You truly have a way with words.
+1

hahahahaha
Old 23 March 2018, 12:53 AM   #32
GarageBMW
"TRF" Member

Watch: the step
Quote:
Thanks you for your very valuable contribution to this thread. You truly have a way with words.
Old 23 March 2018, 12:58 AM   #33
alexxelor
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
I don't think so ! I suppose they'll keep it , but for a few years... The Batman
Old 23 March 2018, 12:59 AM   #34
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Nope
Old 23 March 2018, 01:05 AM   #35
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
I can certainly see this happening. Plus, even the lucky few will barely be able to get a hold of a SS pepsi until late summer. Why create a void by discontinuing the BLNR before pepsi's come out to market?
I think you're right and I also, think the BLNR will continue to be in high demand. The black and blue bezel, really is the perfect Day/Night indicator. When viewed in hindsight, I think it will be very favorable.

World's first bi-color Ceramic bezel
First blue black combo in Rolex history
First bi-color Rolex ceramic bezel

Buy the BLNR now, or Pepsi later, but either way tough to go wrong.
Old 23 March 2018, 01:10 AM   #36
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126508 Paul Newman
Quote:
I almost spit out my coffee. Too funny. Thanks for the laugh.
Old 23 March 2018, 01:14 AM   #37
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
I think you're right and I also, think the BLNR will continue to be in high demand. The black and blue bezel, really is the perfect Day/Night indicator. When viewed in hindsight, I think it will be very favorable.

World's first bi-color Ceramic bezel
First blue black combo in Rolex history
First bi-color Rolex ceramic bezel
Agreed. I think, historically, the BLNR will be a pretty significant watch. I'm somewhat biased, though.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
Old 23 March 2018, 01:18 AM   #38
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by alika View Post
It's on Rolex website, I don't think that BLNR is discontinued...
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatp View Post
Exactly. Rolex just updated their website and the BLNR is clearly still available.
Errr ummm ... ditto !!!
Not going anywhere.
Old 23 March 2018, 01:19 AM   #39
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Quote:
Originally Posted by denmanproject View Post
With the new movement in the SS Pepsi its only a matter of time but do not think right away
Exactly. The switch from "11" to "12" is akin to the switch from 4-digit to 5-digit models. Obviously the 4-digits were on their way out...but you had models like the 5500 that kept getting made for another decade. So, like all things Rolex, who knows?
Old 23 March 2018, 01:24 AM   #40
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

I think it makes sense that the BLNR will at some point receive a movement update. Perhaps a new revised case at that time? I don't see Rolex making it the same size as the new SS Pepsi case as they don't want the new Jubilee bracelet and Oyster bracelet to be interchangeable. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to discontinue what seems to be a consistently strong seller for the brand.
Old 23 March 2018, 01:25 AM   #41
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
Still waiting lists on the Batman, highly doubt they would discontinue it yet.

If I had to choose between the new Pepsi and the Batman, I'd go Pepsi, but more because I want at least one watch with a jubilee bracelet - both are excellent looking watches though and can't go wrong with either, IMO.
Old 23 March 2018, 01:25 AM   #42
Dusko.Popov
"TRF" Member

Why why why why do people continue with the incorrect notion that if something is on the website, it can’t be discontinued. That’s a farce but people stick to it as if it’s the rule.

For the record, I don’t know if the 116710blnr is or isn’t discontinued. I have no horse in that race.

What I do know is that the 16610lv was on the Rolex site until November, 2010. It was there contemporaneous with the 116610lv.

True story.

So maybe it has to do with numbers still in new/retail circulation. But being on the website certainly doesn’t unequivocally mean “not discontinued.”
Old 23 March 2018, 01:29 AM   #43
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands90 View Post
Batman looks like poop and has an old movement.

I’m staring at my BLNR trying to find a correlation between poop and this watch...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 March 2018, 01:38 AM   #44
Rodrigo082
"TRF" Member

Definitely not discontinued- called my AD to check and he just laughed at me. He says the BLNR will stay as Part of the Rolex Catalog for many year to come - perhaps a new movement will come but that’s it...
Old 23 March 2018, 01:42 AM   #45
elcompa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 118206
I think we have to keep in mind that most people (normal folks, not watch enthusiasts), pick a watch based on overall appearence and not the details. I think our little niche of a community is far too focused on the details, measurements, models and parts that absolutely are transparent to most of the watch buying world. We project too much that they think like us. Most have no idea which model number they are wearing, when it came to market, which famous person wore it, when it was designed, was it used on the moon, in a race car, 6,000 ft under the sea, in the Tour De France etc...

So, my guess is that they will keep the BLNR on the website as long as there are some out there to sell, and use all parts in stock until they are gone. Eventually the new SS BLRO case will becme the BLNR case, they will add a "2" to the model number and keep the money making blue/black color combo bezel in production. Rolex is first and foremost a corporation focused on revenue (ok, so it is technically listed as a Swiss charity, but I think we all get that). As long as there is a healthy demand, they will produce a supply (long live capitalism!!!)...perhaps not the exact case or movement, but a supply with the black and blue combo. they have to move product to make money. This is a universal business truth, just like the law of supply and demand.
Old 23 March 2018, 01:42 AM   #46
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo082 View Post
Definitely not discontinued- called my AD to check and he just laughed at me. He says the BLNR will stay as Part of the Rolex Catalog for many year to come - perhaps a new movement will come but that’s it...

I would laugh back since ADs don’t really know anything until Rolex tells them :)
Old 23 March 2018, 01:44 AM   #47
Rodrigo082
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcompa View Post
I think we have to keep in mind that most people (normal folks, not watch enthusiasts), pick a watch based on overall appearence and not the details. I think our little niche of a community is far too focused on the details, measurements, models and parts that absolutely are transparent to most of the watch buying world. We project too much that they think like us. Most have no idea which model number they are wearing, when it came tomarket, which famouse person wore it, was ut used on the moon or in a race car...

So, my guess is that they will keep the BLNR on the website as long as there are some out there to sell, and use all parts in stock until they are gone. Eventually the new case will becme the BLNR case, they will add a "2" to the model number and keep the money making blue/black color combo. Rolex is first and foremost a corporation focused on revenue. As long as there is a healthy demand, they will produce a supply...perhaps not the exact case or movement, but a suppply with the black and blue combo.
This 1000Xx
Old 23 March 2018, 01:46 AM   #48
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
With the BLNR, Rolex created one of the most sought after watches ever in their line, after all the griping died down.

There's no reason for them to discontinue the watch, unless they just want to, if sales truly tank.

Either way, discontinuing it won't end the world and upgrading it won't be the salvation of the world.

I'd say that while it's still in the catalog, now is the time to get on the waiting lists, because the new BLNR is probably going to siphon off some of the old interest in the BLNR at the very least.

I'd just like to ask people who seem to be in a major meltdown over Basel, how much difference does this really make?

You know, one of the coolest looking watches I've seen lately was worn by a bowling buddy the other day. He paid $12 for it a Walmart.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
Old 23 March 2018, 01:50 AM   #49
derklink
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post

You know, one of the coolest looking watches I've seen lately was worn by a bowling buddy the other day. He paid $12 for it a Walmart.
Any pics or a link to the Wally website? Now I'm curious...
Old 23 March 2018, 01:55 AM   #50
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
Quote:
Originally Posted by derklink View Post
Any pics or a link to the Wally website? Now I'm curious...
The next time I see him, which be next week for sure, I'll try to get a picture of it.

The styling was nothing out of the ordinary.

It was more how the light caught it.

I was standing at the snack bar, when he walked up behind me.

I turned briefly to say hello and my eyes were dazzled by its glow.

I asked to take a look and he raised his arm and said, "I got it Walmart."

It's not the first "Walmart Special" that has caught my eye enough for me to ask for a closer look.

What can I say? I just love watches.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
Old 23 March 2018, 02:15 AM   #51
Sade
Banned

Watch: Rolex Turn-O-Graph
Quote:
Jelous person, pay no attention. The color on the Pepsi is over saturated and not true red and blue colors. No thanks.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk
Old 23 March 2018, 02:45 AM   #52
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
I haven't had enough "rodeos" of tracking successful reference lines so closely through the end of their lives.

Here is something that I think is interesting...Could someone provide any examples of references that were very successful and simply discontinued due to normal course of life? Have certain colors in the past had smashing successes but get discontinued when a new movement/model is introduced to the family?

I get why they wouldn't want to discontinue a very successful color combination. Demand will outpace supply of that model for the foreseeable future. However, this is Rolex. If they think a watch has had a good run, they may just wind down the supply when there is a logical point in time to launch something new (i.e. roll out the new movement and case design). I'm not saying there will come a day anytime soon where BLNRs are just sitting around display cases and can't be sold, but surely Rolex may end the party early to make sure something like that never happens.

If I had to guess, next year we will for sure get a LN GMT II with the new movement and case on an Oyster bracelet. Anything beyond that in steel is anyone's guess. Given the launch of the Pepsi this year, I highly doubt the Coke comes in to replace the BLNR in the near-term...just think about it, too much red. If that happened, your options for a SS GMT would be an all black bezel, a blue/red bezel, and a black/red bezel. I just don't see that happening.
Old 23 March 2018, 03:05 AM   #53
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
If true, I ask them to then explain the new WG BLRO with old 3186
If I had to guess they just have old GMT cases left as well as some 3186 movements left, what's a better way to get rid of them then to continue making a watch/make a slightly new version of it. I do think by the time they run out of old cases and movements they will discontinue TT(YG one),YG and WG. As of LN and BLNR it's debatable. I think they will just launch a new LN and replace BLNR with Coke. But only time will tell.
Old 23 March 2018, 03:17 AM   #54
Todm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
Define “skyrockets”

sky·rock·et
ˈskīˌräkət/Submit
noun
plural noun: skyrockets
a rocket designed to explode high in the air as a signal or firework.
verbinformal
3rd person present: skyrockets
(of a price, rate, or amount) increase very steeply or rapidly.
"the cost of housing has skyrocketed"

Just my opinion.

Also, strong avi to post content correlation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 23 March 2018, 03:28 AM   #55
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
The BLNR was in the display case in Basel next to the new watches. Highly doubt they'd display a discontinued watch.
Old 23 March 2018, 03:43 AM   #56
sager
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
The BLNR was in the display case in Basel next to the new watches. Highly doubt they'd display a discontinued watch.

Good point
Old 23 March 2018, 04:10 AM   #57
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todm View Post
sky·rock·et
ˈskīˌräkət/Submit
noun
plural noun: skyrockets
a rocket designed to explode high in the air as a signal or firework.
verbinformal
3rd person present: skyrockets
(of a price, rate, or amount) increase very steeply or rapidly.
"the cost of housing has skyrocketed"

Just my opinion.

Also, strong avi to post content correlation.

Thanks

For context, can you define skyrocket in terms of USD?
Old 23 March 2018, 04:22 AM   #58
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands90 View Post
Batman looks like poop and has an old movement.
If your poop is blue get yourself to a hospital now!
Old 23 March 2018, 04:28 AM   #59
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyz1245 View Post
I think it makes sense that the BLNR will at some point receive a movement update. Perhaps a new revised case at that time? I don't see Rolex making it the same size as the new SS Pepsi case as they don't want the new Jubilee bracelet and Oyster bracelet to be interchangeable. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to discontinue what seems to be a consistently strong seller for the brand.
I think the cost/complexity of fabricating one additional case that doesn't have to be will outweigh the desire to prevent bracelet interchangeability. That's doubly true if the current BLNR case would have to be modified in any way to accommodate the new movement.

More likely, like in the old days, the GMT will be the watch available with either bracelet style (with the re-cased BLNR being available with Jubilee and the Pepsi with Oyster).
Old 23 March 2018, 04:37 AM   #60
JRT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todm View Post

Bet it skyrockets in value from here.

The price of BNIB BLNR has been quickly raised to $10,875 today from DavidSW website: https://davidsw.com/product/rolex-11...-master-ii-15/

Is it starting to skyrocket in value now?
Closed Thread