The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 11 March 2023, 07:44 AM   #1
RickB8960
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126618/DJ41/BLNR..
Insure ROLEX for Shipping

I recently sold a watch (Thanks TRF) in the `$20K price range. When I went to FedEx/UPS FedEx told me the max they would insure anything is $1,000. UPS told me the max was $2,500 but they did say if I had an appraisal they would do it but it would be very expensive. I ended up getting it insured at USPS but they wouldn't overnight it (max overnight insurance was $5K). So I shipped it with USPS but the buyer had to wait 3 days to get it. Not the end of the world but I know I liked getting mine overnight.
I've only sold a few watches and don't plan on anything anytime soon just curious as to what the people who sell a bunch do it?
Thanks.
RickB8960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2023, 07:54 AM   #2
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
The best thing to do is to insure your watches when you get them. Then, if you sell one, keep it on the policy until it is safety delivered to the purchaser. In this case, I would send it Registered Mail, and insure it for the 20K. Takes a lot longer to be delivered but it is the best way to have insurance while on delivery.
Calatrava r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2023, 08:17 AM   #3
WatchGuy1966
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
The best thing to do is to insure your watches when you get them. Then, if you sell one, keep it on the policy until it is safety delivered to the purchaser. In this case, I would send it Registered Mail, and insure it for the 20K. Takes a lot longer to be delivered but it is the best way to have insurance while on delivery.
I believe this to be true, that your insurance will cover it.

Registered Mail is by far the most appropriate for individuals without business shipping contracts
WatchGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2023, 08:30 AM   #4
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Just sold one of my vintage watches in same range to a buyer in Dubai. It was a nightmare trying to ship. USPS would only do 5k and no registered mail on international shipments. FedEx and ups as you know with insufficient max coverage and DHL was worse.

Found a great solution maybe not the cheapest but super fast and easy. Insured it with Securus at cost of 1% of insured value. And shipped via FedEx. Buyer got watch in 4 days and I was fully insured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote