The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 15 January 2017, 01:36 PM   #1
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
Ringling Bros. Circus to Close after 146 years

Circuses are such an integral part of Americana that it seems impossible that such a thing could happen, but in the end it came down to dwindling popularity and litigation.

After 146 years, the curtain is coming down on "The Greatest Show on Earth." The owner of the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus told The Associated Press that the show will close forever in May.

The iconic American spectacle was felled by a variety of factors, company executives say. Declining attendance combined with high operating costs, along with changing public tastes and prolonged battles with animal rights groups all contributed to its demise.

"There isn't any one thing," said Kenneth Feld, chairman and CEO of Feld Entertainment. "This has been a very difficult decision for me and for the entire family."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/...t6yICFGIGcXFK/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ringling+Bros+Barnum+and+Bailey+Circus.jpg (52.0 KB, 263 views)

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2017, 01:47 PM   #2
texex91
"TRF" Member

Entertainment has changed over the years and like anything it's a business. If you can't make the $$ you have to close.

However, was never wild about how the animals were treated/traveled the way they did. Not a PITA freak, but glad this has ended to be honest.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2017, 02:12 PM   #3
Limestonedan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
Entertainment has changed over the years and like anything it's a business. If you can't make the $$ you have to close.

However, was never wild about how the animals were treated/traveled the way they did. Not a PITA freak, but glad this has ended to be honest.
I feel the same way Paul.
Limestonedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2017, 03:27 PM   #4
Star Ferry
Banned

When I saw it as an 8 year old, I enjoyed it a lot. But their CEO is right: the circus elephants were the heart of the show.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2017, 03:28 PM   #5
otisc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV HULK
I took my kid to the Ringling Bros. a few years ago. They were selling $25 cotton candy and $20 snocones. Despite the ripoff, there was genuine excitement during the lion tamer segment (hey, you never know) and the elephants were amazing. Last year when they were forced to ditch the elephants, I knew they were done. Without them and the cats, which only tour on one of the two shows, they are just a lot of costumes and confetti.

One of the former circus ringmasters' dad was a CBS news producer. He used to travel on the Ringling Bros train with his son and make little movies about life on the Red and Blue lines. They can be found on YouTube and are extremely fascinating.

There are a number of active circuses still running including a few that are moderately large. Wouldn't be surprised to see one of them scoop up the Ringling Bros/Barnum Bailey trademark on the cheap.
otisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2017, 03:31 PM   #6
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:

My thoughts exactly. Well said Paul.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2017, 03:41 PM   #7
TheRolexKingofLV
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I'd have to agree as well.
Old 15 January 2017, 03:47 PM   #8
.db
"TRF" Member

Frankly, I've never been to the circus and don't see the draw. Feels like something from a bygone society.
.db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2017, 04:01 PM   #9
77T
2024 Pledge Member

The RBB&B Circus could have retooled - perhaps adopt production values of successful shows like Cirque du Soleil. Blaming the public (low attendance) and competition is just another way of saying "we screwed this up".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2017, 10:28 PM   #10
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Went 8 years ago, it was sad. Knew this was coming.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2017, 10:33 PM   #11
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:

X2

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2017, 10:42 PM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2017, 12:03 AM   #13
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
Quote:

This. Especially second paragraph.
Watch This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2017, 12:06 AM   #14
artschool
"TRF" Member

zoos will be next.

keeping large animals in captivity should just not be happening.
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2017, 12:12 AM   #15
Xenophon
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artschool View Post
zoos will be next.

keeping large animals in captivity should just not be happening.
I agree in some respects but, for instance, in the case of polar bears where they have been caught three times going into populated areas they are either put down or made available to zoos.
Also some zoos do a lot of research on endangered species in order to understand how they can be helped in the wild.

I won't shed a tear for circuses using wild animals when they close down though.
Old 16 January 2017, 12:19 AM   #16
THC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Where will kids run away to now?
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2017, 12:30 AM   #17
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Being unfamiliar with but understanding how their treatment can be an issue I still can't help being somewhat sad since I grew up at a time in which I saw a few of these in person and on TV. However if their care and treatment was anything like it was for the whales at sea world then I say I'm glad this old tradition has ended. Hopefully we haven't gotten to the point where this majestic animal no longer exists however.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2017, 12:32 AM   #18
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I read about this earlier.

And I agree with Paul. And I'm definitely an animal lover. I don't agree with using animals at the expense of their lives and feeedom, for enjoyment.

That all being clear, I do find this sad. It's the end of an era in many ways. For me personally, as a kid, I loved the circus. I went back as an adult, and not so much.

In regards to zoos, I agree, but I also don't. Many zoos today are the only thing protecting animals and their natural habitat while increasing education and awareness.

We as a species are consuming this planet. And as we do, we are destroying their habitats. The vast majority of extinctions caused today are directly at the hand of humans.

While it is horrible and sad to see animals in cages, there is most definitely good that comes out of it. Without the education and awareness being created, we would simply forget and continue consuming until there is nothing left. Heck, that appears to be happening anyway.

I know there are a lot of shady zoos. And they should be closed. And the owners should be euthanized. But organizations like the WWF really do a lot of good.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2017, 12:33 AM   #19
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Sorry. Double post.

Old 16 January 2017, 12:37 AM   #20
KarlS
Banned

Circuses needed to evolve....Blue Ocean Strategy = Cirque de Soleil....as a young kid we knew nothing about the animals being mistreated...the sawdust, clowns, acrobats, lion tamerrs, trained dogs and all the excitement were good memories of growing up which my children will never experience...just real not computer generated fun and excitement
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2017, 12:46 AM   #21
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I read about this earlier.

And I agree with Paul. And I'm definitely an animal lover. I don't agree with using animals at the expense of their lives and feeedom, for enjoyment.

That all being clear, I do find this sad. It's the end of an era in many ways. For me personally, as a kid, I loved the circus. I went back as an adult, and not so much.

In regards to zoos, I agree, but I also don't. Many zoos today are the only thing protecting animals and their natural habitat while increasing education and awareness.

We as a species are consuming this planet. And as we do, we are destroying their habitats. The vast majority of extinctions caused today are directly at the hand of humans.

While it is horrible and sad to see animals in cages, there is most definitely good that comes out of it. Without the education and awareness being created, we would simply forget and continue consuming until there is nothing left. Heck, that appears to be happening anyway.

I know there are a lot of shady zoos. And they should be closed. And the owners should be euthanized. But organizations like the WWF really do a lot of good.
You my friend have a way with words and I agree with every one of them.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2017, 12:58 AM   #22
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
Quote:
Originally Posted by thc View Post
where will kids run away to now?
rotflmfao !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Watch This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2017, 12:59 AM   #23
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
X2
Old 16 January 2017, 05:41 AM   #24
JohnnyH75
"TRF" Member

First time I attended was 1985 i love it when back as and adult and it was not the same feeling my son that was 5 at the time got freak out with the clowns and so did I.They had a good run time are changing .
JohnnyH75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2017, 06:05 AM   #25
BristolCavendish
Banned

The Ringling Brothers/Barnum & Bailey Circus, Grand National Rodeo, Ice Follies, SF Ballet Nutcracker/ACT 'A Christmas Carol' (during the Christmas holidays) and 'old school' pro wrestling shows were all a part of my childhood memories. Add to that the countless 'westerns' that appeared on both TV and in the movies.

What do kids have today in terms of childhood reflections other than 'high-tech' diversions, over-animated movies, 'participation trophies' and cheap plastic toys made in some overseas sweatshop?

No wonder a growing number of Millennials appear so seemingly clueless (as most seem to have no cultural reference points or concept of past histories). This phenomena can probably be attributed to the countless number of upwardly-mobile, self-serving/self-important baby-boomer parents (aka those detestable 'yuppies') who are overly pre-occupied with their status-oriented material goods and lifestyles.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2017, 08:24 AM   #26
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post

Old 16 January 2017, 08:27 AM   #27
Goin2drt
Banned

Guess I won't post my thoughts because I would be odd man out, wow interesting comments.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2017, 08:38 AM   #28
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
Guess I won't post my thoughts because I would be odd man out, wow interesting comments.
The whole idea of a discussion is to have different perspectives.

Life would be very boring if everyone agreed on everything.

Have at it son.

Old 16 January 2017, 08:46 AM   #29
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
I agree with Paul and others in regards to animal treatment.
Never much of a fan, even as a kid but still somewhat sad as it was "Americana" and another piece of our past that will soon be forgotten.
Someone will make a Circus App to replace it...
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2017, 08:59 AM   #30
BristolCavendish
Banned

*just thinking* With this discussion primarily focused on the treatment of animals, should certain rodeo events (i.e. bull/bronco-riding and calf-roping) be eliminated as well? The animals obviously experience a certain degree of trauma and discomfort during these events.

On the other hand, a rodeo would probably not draw as many spectators if the competition was strictly limited to watching cowgirls participating in barrel races on their cutting horses.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote