The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 21 January 2021, 02:47 PM   #1
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Sonos beam?

I recently bought a Sonos beam, it’s our first sound bar. I didn’t realize how bad the sound out of our tv was, until i bought this thing. It sounds really great. If you own one, what other speakers did you buy for surround sound? Anyone buy the subwoofer? Lastly, what about the Sonos Arc, is it worth the upgrade over the beam?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 03:18 PM   #2
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
A sub will really improve the movie experience. Especially Dolby Atmos.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 06:02 PM   #3
Dubshack
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126334
You’re about to go down the rabbit hole.

I started with the playbar, added a sub, then two sonos ones for surround sound.

The playbar was amazing on its own. The sub and surrounds each add to the overall experience.

I then got the sonos move for hanging in the garage or backyard.

Highly recommend all their products.

Dubshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2021, 06:30 PM   #4
maylebox
"TRF" Member

I fell down the SONOS rabbit hole and I'm good with it. I have the playbar, sub, and play ones in the living room set up in surround. Ended up with a one, three, and a five in other rooms.

I just bought a new TV for the bedroom and swapped out the beam for the ARC and it sounds great. Now I'm thinking that I want to add a sub and satellites to create surround sound in the bedroom.

I'm a fan of the Beam and still have another one in the office but I wanted better/larger sound with the new bedroom TV.

All in all it's a good system and I'm happy with it but it's so simple and seamless that it's easy to spend extra $$ on upgrading or having speakers in every room you spend any time in. Or the garage or outdoors etc.
maylebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 12:53 AM   #5
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I find the subwoofs a bit annoying so have mine turned way down.

I bought a relatively inexpensive VIZIO - 5.1.2-Channel Soundbar System with 6" Wireless Subwoofer and Dolby Atmos a couple of years ago which works pretty well.

Then I bought a bunch of maple syrup and spread it all over the floor so my shoes would stick, made a tape of the mother in law talking nonstop and play in a loop, bought a vat of artificial butter to soak the popcorn in and now when I watch a movie at home I have the full true theater experience.

I watch a lot of hockey with my system and the issues I have with it are when someone takes a slapshot I have to duck all the time because it sounds like its coming from the side, no, the back, no, the other side,......after the game I'm a nervous wreck.

I'm guessing my system is nowhere as great as some people here will have since my home theater consists of a 20 inch TV in a garden shed out back.
Old 22 January 2021, 01:26 AM   #6
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
I have a Sonos Beam and two Sonos One for rear speakers all paired with a 135" screen and a short throw projector for the full movie Theater experience : ). I never got a sub because I feel the Bass rendering is very good with Sonos.
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 01:37 AM   #7
kwr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrice M View Post
I have a Sonos Beam and two Sonos One for rear speakers all paired with a 135" screen and a short throw projector for the full movie Theater experience : ). I never got a sub because I feel the Bass rendering is very good with Sonos.

which short throw projector did you go with? looking at building a set-up myself this year.
kwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 01:39 AM   #8
Laszlo

Quick note I believe the Arc supports Dolby Atmos and if you’re viewing content with that option you really don’t need rear surrounds. The space does play a role, but if you have a boxed shape space with ceilings that aren’t taller than 10ft, the experience is uncanny and very acceptable. We hear sounds all over the place, it’s quite impressive.

In our living room we have an LG soundbar that is designed for Dolby Atmos and a sub. It sounds awesome. I used to have a pretty big old school set up in the living room and honestly this set up sounds better and more visually livable.

Sound bars have come a long way, but only the most recent ones are designed to deliver true surround from one unit plus sub.

Old 22 January 2021, 02:22 AM   #9
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubshack View Post
You’re about to go down the rabbit hole.

I started with the playbar, added a sub, then two sonos ones for surround sound.

The playbar was amazing on its own. The sub and surrounds each add to the overall experience.

I then got the sonos move for hanging in the garage or backyard.

Highly recommend all their products.

Thank you all for the help, and yes, i think I’m down the rabbit hole already. This was supposed to be a quick fix for how terrible the standard tv speakers sound. Now i am trying to figure out where to put the rear Sonos ones I’m going to end up buying and the subwoofer. I went from, “ let’s get a $150 sound bar” to I’m in $1500 .

Old 22 January 2021, 02:27 AM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I find the subwoofs a bit annoying so have mine turned way down.

I bought a relatively inexpensive VIZIO - 5.1.2-Channel Soundbar System with 6" Wireless Subwoofer and Dolby Atmos a couple of years ago which works pretty well.

Then I bought a bunch of maple syrup and spread it all over the floor so my shoes would stick, made a tape of the mother in law talking nonstop and play in a loop, bought a vat of artificial butter to soak the popcorn in and now when I watch a movie at home I have the full true theater experience.

I watch a lot of hockey with my system and the issues I have with it are when someone takes a slapshot I have to duck all the time because it sounds like its coming from the side, no, the back, no, the other side,......after the game I'm a nervous wreck.

I'm guessing my system is nowhere as great as some people here will have since my home theater consists of a 20 inch TV in a garden shed out back.
I can’t believe an Expat would waste such a value resource as maple syrup
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 02:27 AM   #11
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
Thank you all for the help, and yes, i think I’m down the rabbit hole already. This was supposed to be a quick fix for how terrible the standard tv speakers sound. Now i am trying to figure out where to put the rear Sonos ones I’m going to end up buying and the subwoofer. I went from, “ let’s get a $150 sound bar” to I’m in $1500 .

You're in for a world of hurt.

Now you need to see where you can put an addition onto your house so you can construct the home theater, add in the 20 super comfy seating, buy the popcorn machine, AND buy yourself that spiffy new OLED screen and........
Old 22 January 2021, 02:40 AM   #12
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I can’t believe an Expat would waste such a value resource as maple syrup
Lets face it. Ya gotta use the best. Right tool for the job and all that.
Old 22 January 2021, 02:41 AM   #13
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
I recently bought a Sonos beam, it’s our first sound bar. I didn’t realize how bad the sound out of our tv was, until i bought this thing. It sounds really great. If you own one, what other speakers did you buy for surround sound? Anyone buy the subwoofer? Lastly, what about the Sonos Arc, is it worth the upgrade over the beam?

TV sound used to be alright some 5-6 years for it's time. Then they started not making it sound good to make sound bars mandatory item and more sales. So, current TVs don't sound good unless you have sound bars!

I have Sony soundbars with my Sony TV and both are great!
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 03:18 AM   #14
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
You're in for a world of hurt.

Now you need to see where you can put an addition onto your house so you can construct the home theater, add in the 20 super comfy seating, buy the popcorn machine, AND buy yourself that spiffy new OLED screen and........

LOL you’re not wrong. we are in the process of buying a new house and I’m wondering how much the need for a theatre room is going to add to this bill. So we went from cheap sound bar at $150, to $1500 worth of Sonos gear and 100k more on the house. Awesome . I should have bought those damn Apple pro headphones and called it a day!

Old 22 January 2021, 03:27 AM   #15
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
LOL you’re not wrong. we are in the process of buying a new house and I’m wondering how much the need for a theatre room is going to add to this bill. So we went from cheap sound bar at $150, to $1500 worth of Sonos gear and 100k more on the house. Awesome . I should have bought those damn Apple pro headphones and called it a day!

Yeah. A new large iPad with headphones for everyone and it's a done deal. Then you also don't have to argue what to watch.
Old 22 January 2021, 03:29 AM   #16
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DJ 41; 1803; BB Ch
I have a Sonos Beam with one of my TVs and i'm satisfied, not blown away.

I agree with as the others who suggest a Sonos Sub and One speakers. I think the sub would make all the difference in the world and if you want surround speakers, One speakers are a good option because they're the same as One SL but without virtual assistants built-in. You don't need the VAs as they're built into the Beam. Sonos also makes some sort of IKEA collaboration bookshelf speaker that i've read work well as surrounds.

My Beam is good for general TV and movie watching but i'd like to get a Sonos ARC, sub, and One surrounds. From what i've read, that makes for a good surround system that is modular and easy to set up.
Slimpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 03:36 AM   #17
Jackie Daytona

Watch: 16750
I’ve started down this rabbit hole as well. Not a Sonos, but just a cheap Samsung sound bar for my bar area TV. It really makes all the difference. I’m probably going to add some for the other rooms of my house as well. Especially since I’m my living room the TV is over the fireplace and the sound really doesn’t translate well.
Old 22 January 2021, 03:50 AM   #18
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontknow View Post
I’ve started down this rabbit hole as well. Not a Sonos, but just a cheap Samsung sound bar for my bar area TV. It really makes all the difference. I’m probably going to add some for the other rooms of my house as well. Especially since I’m my living room the TV is over the fireplace and the sound really doesn’t translate well.
For a smaller room, the Bose Solo 5 works well. We have one in our bedroom and I like it, especially for the price. Ours doesn't have HDMI pass-through, though, so you need to use the unit remote.

For my "home theater," I'm using a relatively cheap Samsung setup with a Q6CR (Costco) soundbar, sub, and PS-KS-1 rear speakers. It's decent but i do wish it had more bass and it doesn't support DTS-X or ATMOS.
Old 22 January 2021, 04:01 AM   #19
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
In the cinema room i have Bowers and Wilkins full setup with Atmos in the ceiling but in the family room i have the Sonos Bar and the Sub, and to be honest, not sure why i bothered with the full setup in the cinema room!

I also have 12 Sonos speakers scattered around the house. Love Sonos!!

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 05:45 AM   #20
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
In the cinema room i have Bowers and Wilkins full setup with Atmos in the ceiling but in the family room i have the Sonos Bar and the Sub, and to be honest, not sure why i bothered with the full setup in the cinema room!
Do you have Sonos surrounds in the room with the Sonos Soundbar?

Would you recommend it as a surround system?
Old 22 January 2021, 06:59 AM   #21
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
I went from, “ let’s get a $150 sound bar” to I’m in $1500 .
Sounds about right. We started with a new 85" Sony with the Sonos Beam and Sub, then got the Sonos One speakers for a surround experience.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 07:12 AM   #22
Johngalt1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Quick note I believe the Arc supports Dolby Atmos and if you’re viewing content with that option you really don’t need rear surrounds. The space does play a role, but if you have a boxed shape space with ceilings that aren’t taller than 10ft, the experience is uncanny and very acceptable. We hear sounds all over the place, it’s quite impressive.

In our living room we have an LG soundbar that is designed for Dolby Atmos and a sub. It sounds awesome. I used to have a pretty big old school set up in the living room and honestly this set up sounds better and more visually livable.

Sound bars have come a long way, but only the most recent ones are designed to deliver true surround from one unit plus sub.
Have an arc+sub and am very happy with the setup. with the room size that it's in, I think we'd be better served with rear surrounds; however, it'd be tough to setup with the say the space is. Our kids and dog make a floor stand setup unworkable and it'd be hard to get a clean wall mount
Johngalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 08:20 AM   #23
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Are you sure you want to go down the Sonos rabbit hole?

I’ll start by saying true audiophiles won’t love Sonos. It’s lacks midrange and depth that a lot of way higher end systems provide. BUT for the price, ease of use and good sound quality its hard to beat.

I recommend the ARC, gen 3 sub and One SLs as surrounds. Great sound for your general TV, movie and music experience.

Be warned as that won’t be your last. I started there and in less than a year had the following

Bedroom: 85” TV with ARC, sub and surrounds
Office: 65” TV with ARC and sub
Bathroom: One SL
Kitchen: Five
Garage: One SL
Whole downstairs wired system: Denon receiver with Sonos port
Theater: wired Sonance speakers and sun with Sonos port
Backyard: 12 Sonance SLS speakers, two 12” subs and MKII 750 amp with Sonos port.

The Sonos bug bites as hard or harder than the watch bug.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 08:29 AM   #24
Jackie Daytona

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimpee View Post
For a smaller room, the Bose Solo 5 works well. We have one in our bedroom and I like it, especially for the price. Ours doesn't have HDMI pass-through, though, so you need to use the unit remote.

For my "home theater," I'm using a relatively cheap Samsung setup with a Q6CR (Costco) soundbar, sub, and PS-KS-1 rear speakers. It's decent but i do wish it had more bass and it doesn't support DTS-X or ATMOS.
Thanks for the insight. I’ll have to look into those.
Old 22 January 2021, 09:08 AM   #25
Laszlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngalt1 View Post
Have an arc+sub and am very happy with the setup. with the room size that it's in, I think we'd be better served with rear surrounds; however, it'd be tough to setup with the say the space is. Our kids and dog make a floor stand setup unworkable and it'd be hard to get a clean wall mount
Same same! :)

Old 22 January 2021, 09:31 AM   #26
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
We moved last Feb. In the old house we had Klipsch in wall and a Klipsch sub mounted under the floor, running through Onkyo receiver. Good system when I built it back in 2010. Was going to do in wall again, but the ceiling in the new house had some access issues to do the set up the way I wanted. Some friends suggested Sonos. We started with a beam, sub, move, and two surrounds. Absolutely love it. App works great so easy to use. We added a couple more surrounds and the ARC when the ARC was released. The move sits in the middle of the surrounds and works great for a rear center channel. A play 5 would provide similar sound.
I did compare the ARC with the Bean and both are great but the ARC has added speakers and a little more power and depth.
The ARC is Dolby Atmos so if you have a TV that pushes Atmos that in itself is worth the upgrade. One thing, many TV's will not push Atmos so check yours.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 10:04 AM   #27
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimpee View Post
Do you have Sonos surrounds in the room with the Sonos Soundbar?

Would you recommend it as a surround system?

I don’t, really didn’t feel the need, the sound bar is more than enough. But then I’m not really too precious about sound and I’m easily impressed!

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 04:15 PM   #28
Kyle3130
"TRF" Member

Watch: FXD
We got the sound bar 2 years ago when I bought my 65” LG OLED. Sound quality is great in our “echoey” house. We opted not to add any other speakers because of the fairly good acoustics of our home but it’s always an option at a later time. I would highly recommend this product.
Old 28 January 2021, 08:33 AM   #29
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Well it’s been 7 days, and i just bought the Sonos ones for surround sound. I think it’s a huge difference compared to just running the Sonos beam. At this point, the subwoofer is inevitable.

Old 28 January 2021, 08:50 AM   #30
function12
"TRF" Member

My daughter has the beam, two play1s, and the sub. I was impressed with the sound quality when I heard it over Christmas. I have Rotel pro/pro set up and B&W speakers. I also have several play1s around the house for music and the are hard to beat. I did not like the sound quality of the play3. I bought one and returned it.
function12 is offline   Reply With Quote