The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 December 2020, 01:45 AM   #31
jamerson80
"TRF" Member

Another way of looking at it: the Hodinkee collabs provide those of us who missed out on certain pieces a chance to add similar watches into our collection. I missed out on the Milspec release a few years ago, and I don't go grey, so this news has piqued my interest.

Their collab pieces differ enough that I sometimes find some of their colorways MORE appealing than what the manufacturer already sells. They have had a few I just didn't care for (Bathyscaphe and John Mayer G shock), however. But hey that's just my preference. And I guess I'm not a "real collector" since I have acquired a couple of their pieces, regardless of my enthusiasm for the hobby.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
jamerson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2020, 02:23 AM   #32
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Gents - you are safe. Everyone calm down. I’ve heard some info that I believe. Now just grab some popcorn come gameday.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2020, 03:46 AM   #33
cardiel
"TRF" Member

I liked the last collab they did..........at 10K it was out pf my price range, but still.....
cardiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2020, 03:54 AM   #34
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
My guess is 15-20k. They dropped the Casio right before to appease the stone throwing proletariat in the comments.

My only issue is that I got 25% off my last BP. Not sure I love the idea of paying full boat unless it’s right on the money. I’ll admit their last BP collab was great.
Old 13 December 2020, 04:25 AM   #35
16610Swiss
Banned

Saw the video on casio
16610Swiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2020, 04:42 AM   #36
bosevelt
"TRF" Member

The first release. I think it has aged well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 433CCDFA-C604-4715-9BFA-F9751792A259.jpeg (114.8 KB, 551 views)
bosevelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2020, 05:57 AM   #37
ceramic1
"TRF" Member

The only watch I never sell. Ordered it the day my son was born with his name on the certificate.

ceramic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2020, 06:25 AM   #38
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamerson80 View Post
Another way of looking at it: the Hodinkee collabs provide those of us who missed out on certain pieces a chance to add similar watches into our collection. I missed out on the Milspec release a few years ago, and I don't go grey, so this news has piqued my interest.

Their collab pieces differ enough that I sometimes find some of their colorways MORE appealing than what the manufacturer already sells. They have had a few I just didn't care for (Bathyscaphe and John Mayer G shock), however. But hey that's just my preference. And I guess I'm not a "real collector" since I have acquired a couple of their pieces, regardless of my enthusiasm for the hobby.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
I am completely okay with this point. I do not mind these Hodinkee pieces. I just do not want to see them reproduce an LE from a couple years ago with only minor changes. If it is something new and exciting and a major departure from previous iterations, then I am all for having new releases to give others a chance to get something they will be happy with.

They may not be for me, and most of the collectors I personally know, but they sell out almost every single time so there are clearly some watch folks out there who love them! And who knows, this may be so interesting that I just have to buy it, Hodinkee or not! There is a first time for everything after all.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2020, 06:26 AM   #39
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Gents - you are safe. Everyone calm down. I’ve heard some info that I believe. Now just grab some popcorn come gameday.
Okay now you really have my interest up!
Old 13 December 2020, 06:28 AM   #40
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosevelt View Post
The first release. I think it has aged well.
I must admit, I think they killed it with that one.
Old 13 December 2020, 06:28 AM   #41
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceramic1 View Post
The only watch I never sell. Ordered it the day my son was born with his name on the certificate.

Amazing. You have great taste.
Old 13 December 2020, 07:19 AM   #42
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceramic1 View Post
I actually did the same exact thing. I wanted something unique and different than the typical Rolex.

Plan on giving it to my son when he turns 21.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2020, 07:29 AM   #43
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Wow, the hype is real and the sheep are in a heard for Hodinkee to sheer.
Yup, proof Barnum was right.

Sorry, Ho' did it again... and they'll be more of that in the future. I'm waiting for their Invicta Hodi Special Limited Edition.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2020, 11:00 AM   #44
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Laugh all you want but many of the hodinkee collabs are extremely well done. The VC chronograph, the first blancpain collab to name a few.

It’s not like they put hodinkee on the dials or anything. I view hodinkee as an AD because that’s what they are now. I have ordered a few of their releases and always quick and painless.
Old 13 December 2020, 12:29 PM   #45
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Surprised people are questioning brand collaborations. Co-branded vintage watches with “lip” and “Tiffany” on the dial seem to do OK in the marketplace.
arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2020, 12:41 PM   #46
clew84
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soar
Agreed - Tiffany, COMEX, etc.

The last collaboration was awesome. I am really looking forward to seeing this one. If I didn’t already have the Barakuda I would consider it. Then again, given how these have performed I could get on the list and sell it if I don’t like it and not get hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Autodromo Prototipo
clew84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2020, 01:04 PM   #47
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaye View Post
Hey Jay! Oh yeah, I get the game. Still disappointing to those of us who bought the MILSPEC. You'd think all brands would try to respect their fans and collectors, but it turns out it's okay to dilute "special" watches to chase a quick buck. Same as it ever was. I don't blame Hodinkee, as all they do now is chase the quick buck, but I had hoped for more from Blancpain.

And who knows, perhaps this will be something radically different than I am thinking, but the humidity indicator leads me to believe not. Time will tell.
Very few are immune from this, we’ve seen it repeated for years and years. I guess that’s my point.

It’s disappointing for sure but I think I’ve grown to accept it.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2020, 01:08 PM   #48
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Laugh all you want but many of the hodinkee collabs are extremely well done. The VC chronograph, the first blancpain collab to name a few.

It’s not like they put hodinkee on the dials or anything. I view hodinkee as an AD because that’s what they are now. I have ordered a few of their releases and always quick and painless.
Couldn’t agree more. I too think they’ve generally done very well on the putting together appealing pieces whether it be the VC or the most recent Sistem51.

I expect this upcoming piece to be no different.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 12:30 AM   #49
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I view hodinkee as an AD because that’s what they are now. I have ordered a few of their releases and always quick and painless.
Exactly, and when you order you get it delivered in a timely fashion. They're a retailer and all that. They work with manufacturers to hype up pricing and products. Imagine if Rolex or PP did online sales, it would be seen as an improvement for some buyers. Talking about manufacturers, Ming is another online source doing it right imho.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 12:06 AM   #50
oncogene1
"TRF" Member

Does anyone know what time this will launch? Thanks!
oncogene1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 12:54 AM   #51
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agreed, but they're coming thick and fast now, and with each release, the nagging suspicion that they're not even trying any more.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 01:25 AM   #52
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
Agreed, but they're coming thick and fast now, and with each release, the nagging suspicion that they're not even trying any more.
Gotta please those investors...
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 02:27 AM   #53
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

My view is that they are trying to solidify their position as a major player in online watch retailing.

They provide comprehensive services from advertising to sales. The strength of their brand has allowed them the freedom of design other retailers only dream about.

At the end of the day for me they are a retailer so I look at the release and decide is this something I want? Y/N
Old 15 December 2020, 03:07 AM   #54
bsh_watch
"TRF" Member

What do you think the price will end up being for these LEs?

I tend to agree on the over of the $12.5k someone said earlier, but curious what others think?
bsh_watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 03:17 AM   #55
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsh_watch View Post
What do you think the price will end up being for these LEs?

I tend to agree on the over of the $12.5k someone said earlier, but curious what others think?
Depends on the model. If it's a bathy (which i still think is a possibility) then I'd say $12.5k on the nose. If not a bathy, $15k easy.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 03:21 AM   #56
stormshadow
2024 Pledge Member

Seems my (optimistic) estimation for pricing might have been a bit low.
I am guessing mid-$14K for this release. That's in hoping it's not of the Bathy nature.
stormshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 03:29 AM   #57
WatchOut4It
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormshadow View Post
Seems my (optimistic) estimation for pricing might have been a bit low.
I am guessing mid-$14K for this release. That's in hoping it's not of the Bathy nature.

I struggle with the idea of paying $14-15k for these LEs but it seems the only way to get in on the small production runs. Very few come up after the initial sale...

I’ll be watching closely tomorrow. If it’s a 40mm FF with brushed case I’ll have my credit card near by should I be lucky enough to hit refresh while there’s still supply in stock.
WatchOut4It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 03:45 AM   #58
stormshadow
2024 Pledge Member

Yeah; I hear you. LE at 500 pieces, or whatever, and it's gone. Pretty smart for a release, though. See the price, 30 (or 15) seconds to think about it - or it's gone. So, pay now, or (maybe) pay more later.

The downside is, if they release too many LEs, they will eventually end up looking the same (looking at you, Omega and Panerai).

Good luck tomorrow, should you decide to go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchOut4It View Post
I struggle with the idea of paying $14-15k for these LEs but it seems the only way to get in on the small production runs. Very few come up after the initial sale...

I’ll be watching closely tomorrow. If it’s a 40mm FF with brushed case I’ll have my credit card near by should I be lucky enough to hit refresh while there’s still supply in stock.
stormshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 03:47 AM   #59
AlyRba
"TRF" Member

Do we know the time when these will be available on Hodinkee website?
AlyRba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 04:34 AM   #60
WatchOut4It
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormshadow View Post
The downside is, if they release too many LEs, they will eventually end up looking the same (looking at you, Omega and Panerai).
This is my fear. So far, Blancpain seems to have managed the LE space fairly respectfully. I think they've been successful because the main line of 5015's stays at 45mm. If they ever do decide to release a standard production 40mm FF, I suspect most LE purchasers will feel burned.

It's unfortunate, too, that the brand is such a dog on the secondary market. I love the aesthetics and the overall brand image, but it kills me to think about the premium paid for an LE, the depreciation hit you take with the brand, and the generally small group of buyers if you ever choose to liquidate or simply move on to other pieces. I suppose that's the price of choosing your own path in this hobby; there's a cost to not chasing another Rolex SS sports model. ;)
WatchOut4It is offline   Reply With Quote