The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 9 January 2021, 12:04 PM   #31
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_Rob View Post
Until you get over this, you’re stuck with Rolex. To hell with their opinions. If you like it, drop your money on it.

Anyone who attaches their self esteem to these things will be filling a hole in themselves forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 12:15 PM   #32
Avs Fan
"TRF" Member

One of my good friends is a very successful business person. He happens to wear a beautiful Omega Aqua Terra on a strap. I promise you he doesn't care what I or anyone else think about his choice.
Avs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 12:18 PM   #33
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
I love my Rolex watches along with my Omegas , Breitlings , IWC’s and Tudors . I wear whichever watch I feel like . I don’t care what other people think . I just do my own thing .
Malum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 12:22 PM   #34
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexcouple View Post
VC overseas definite contender. Not sure of availability in NYC.

I like this option. It's available and has better finish than the Rolex so they won't look down on you
Old 9 January 2021, 12:42 PM   #35
DoctorsOrders
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I love my BLNR, it’s without a doubt my favorite watch and hasn’t come off my wrist since I got it but bang for buck Omega wins. Especially when you can walk into a boutique and buy almost any model, usually with a discount.
DoctorsOrders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 12:44 PM   #36
berchris
"TRF" Member

Why do people act like Rolex is superior to Omega? Each make their own movements and are COSC certified. I would argue that some of the Omega movements are better than Rolex, the 8400 for example. Side by side, a Seamaster 300 Master Co-axial is way ahead of a Submariner, IMO. Like I have said in previous threads, if we have a hard time sourcing Rolex from and AD, buy vintage.
berchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 12:44 PM   #37
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
It sounds a bit irrational to say, “I’m leaving Rolex.”

I might buy an Aqua Terra instead of a Datejust, but I’m not leaving Rolex.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 12:49 PM   #38
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I predict this is another one of those chest thumping “Rolex is better than brand X” threads that never go anywhere and generally expose how much horological history/significance is not know about any of the brands in question.
Mystro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 12:53 PM   #39
moneymike83
Banned

Watch: Sd43
No one is leaving Rolex. Who ever telling you that is lying.

moneymike83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 12:55 PM   #40
RoRoRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM40
Some people leave Rolex simply because of its image. Too gaudy too flashy too in your face. Looks like op wants all those things but can’t get it.
It’s like saying you’d change sexuality because you can’t get some.
RoRoRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 01:01 PM   #41
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Find a brand or reference that you like and fits your budget. Then you have the last laugh, which is all that matters.
Pw92676 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 01:03 PM   #42
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanubis View Post
The Chopard Alpine Eagle is a recent crush. Really sweet and quite understated, as all chopards are!

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk
Very sweet.

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 01:06 PM   #43
Theothergreg
"TRF" Member

Watch: this and that
I once wore my Cartier Santos into a store and the SA said, "I see you like fashion brands." I got a really good chuckle out of that (and, of course, did not buy anything from him).

Rather than listening to your friends and worrying about what others think, I suggest you start educating yourself on the history and relevance of other brands. There is a whole other world out there that you are missing.
Theothergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 01:10 PM   #44
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

I'd be lying if I said that the "recognition" factor isn't at least a part of why I'm attracted to Rolex. I sure as heck don't want or need strangers knowing what kind of watch I'm wearing, but I don't mind showing off a tad to friends and family.

I also like the durability, the lineage, the quality, etc. There are so many stories of people in their 70s, 80s and beyond who've worn 1 Rolex their whole lives. Some never even bother with a service and the watch still runs. I just very rarely hear stories like this with any other brand of watch. Maybe Seiko.

So honestly because no other brand meets all the criteria I'm looking for, I personally wouldn't mind paying a bit of premium on the grey market. I personally think the Submariner or the BLNR aren't complete insanity on the grey market if I wanted a brand new Rolex SS sports watch. I'd also be open to TT in a model I really like (like they Daytona) or basically any SS DJ that's available.

So I personally would have to own at least 1 Rolex.

But in a world where NO Rolex I even decently like is available, Omega and Grand Seiko give me what I'm looking for imo.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 01:14 PM   #45
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonK View Post
Recently I've seen several threads (or at the very least, posts) from people who are annoyed at Rolex's scarcity and who are not willing to pay the premiums that grey dealers charge. I'm finding myself dangerously close to this line despite having been a loyal customer for many years.

My question to you is where will you go? What, if anything, competes with SS Rolex assuming MSRP prices? AP and PP are in a league above Rolex (and have the same scarcity issues as Rolex) while Omega and Tudor are, arguably, in a league below Rolex. IWC and JLC are not competitive because most of their references are dressier and more likely to be worn on a leather strap as opposed to a stainless steel bracelet. Similarly, Panerai isn't truly competitive to Rolex for much of the same reasons as IWC and JLC but also because of the size of their watches.

So that leaves me asking you where will you go if you leave Rolex?

I'm stuck because, although unpopular, I like the recognition that Rolex offers and find myself feeling that if I were to buy an Omega (for example), my coworkers, colleagues, and [potential] clients might pass judgment (I work in midtown Manhattan where people judge watches). For example, I've thought about buying the Seamaster 300 but have had many people now (both friends and coworkers) tell me not to buy an Omega or chuckle at the thought of buying an Omega.

For reference, I currently have the DJ41 fluted/jubilee with rhodium diamond dial and I can't wear anything larger than 41-42mm (6.25" wrists).

I’d suggest looking into VC, AP and perhaps dress options with ALS. Solid brands, solid watches and excellent deals on these at resale (not AP mostly unless you can look at Jules or older dress chronos).

Stick with Rolex. ignore the noise.
Old 9 January 2021, 01:17 PM   #46
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
It ain't what you wear, but how you wear it.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 01:17 PM   #47
Glenmorangie77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710 Coke
Great to have a Rolex; make it one of your rotation of interesting watches, which should include microbrands like anOrdain and Oak & Oscar, and other well crafted, historically significant brands like Tudor and Omega. You're the one looking at the watch all day, what someone else thinks rarely matters. Nor do most even look at your watch, in all actuality.
Glenmorangie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 01:18 PM   #48
jcarm981
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5167
Interesting comments. I’m with the “stick with Rolex” crowd although I do appreciate other brands.
jcarm981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 01:19 PM   #49
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonK View Post
Recently I've seen several threads (or at the very least, posts) from people who are annoyed at Rolex's scarcity and who are not willing to pay the premiums that grey dealers charge. I'm finding myself dangerously close to this line despite having been a loyal customer for many years.

My question to you is where will you go? What, if anything, competes with SS Rolex assuming MSRP prices? AP and PP are in a league above Rolex (and have the same scarcity issues as Rolex) while Omega and Tudor are, arguably, in a league below Rolex. IWC and JLC are not competitive because most of their references are dressier and more likely to be worn on a leather strap as opposed to a stainless steel bracelet. Similarly, Panerai isn't truly competitive to Rolex for much of the same reasons as IWC and JLC but also because of the size of their watches.

So that leaves me asking you where will you go if you leave Rolex?

I'm stuck because, although unpopular, I like the recognition that Rolex offers and find myself feeling that if I were to buy an Omega (for example), my coworkers, colleagues, and [potential] clients might pass judgment (I work in midtown Manhattan where people judge watches). For example, I've thought about buying the Seamaster 300 but have had many people now (both friends and coworkers) tell me not to buy an Omega or chuckle at the thought of buying an Omega.

For reference, I currently have the DJ41 fluted/jubilee with rhodium diamond dial and I can't wear anything larger than 41-42mm (6.25" wrists).

No one is going to judge you in Manhattan for having an Omega. If they do, they're not anyone who's worth thinking seriously of. If anything, wearing a Rolex can send the wrong message.
Old 9 January 2021, 01:24 PM   #50
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
It ain't what you wear, but how you wear it.
dP
Amen brother

IMG_20191222_130845_270.jpg20210108_121504.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 01:27 PM   #51
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
For those of you leaving Rolex

If your into watches, then your missing out on a lot by not considering other brands outside Rolex. It’s like, driving the same brand car or eating the same type of food your whole life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 01:30 PM   #52
Tensai
"TRF" Member

Watch: all the good ones
Is this one of those joke threads?
Tensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 01:32 PM   #53
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
I will always have a Rolex GMT as it’s just MY watch. But id love to venture into some more funky territory..... SMP MK2 racing, GS GMT High Beat, 36mm Santos, Navitimer, Panerai of some sort. I’d like a little variety. I’m nearing 40 so I’m in a “let’s shake shit up” point in life

Sent using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 01:38 PM   #54
tomf1994
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova View Post
If your into watches, then your missing out on a lot by not considering other brands outside Rolex. It’s like, driving the same brand car or eating the same type of food your whole life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
100% Leaving Rolex? I bought one new. I was done with Rolex as soon as I made that purchase 5 yrs ago. Too many great watches out there.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
tomf1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 01:44 PM   #55
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

I would never buy another brand in lieu of Rolex simply due to unavailability.

If you really want Rolex, get Rolex. No settling or substituting.

Do I have other brands in my collection? Absolutely. Multiples in fact. But they were all acquired on their own merits, not as a concession to just get a “watch” because I can’t obtain Rolex. That wasn’t even a remote consideration in the decision to acquire.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 01:53 PM   #56
snipermaverick
"TRF" Member

There is always availability in Rolex... just look at the sale sub section. Just a matter of whether you want to buy at that price.
snipermaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 02:10 PM   #57
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
I personally buy watches that I like irrespective of brand, retail price, or perceived value. This has included everything from Swatch to Rolex and even non-Swiss brands from Casio Seiko.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 02:12 PM   #58
orangeguy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 16710
I'm with everyone who is of the opinion to wear what you want. I wear watches for myself because I like them, not for anyone else. In regular rotation are a couple of G Shocks, Seiko Monsters, Timex Indiglos, a Sub, GMT II, and a Speedy or two (okay, maybe more like three or four). Each means something different to me and I enjoy each one differently.
orangeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 02:24 PM   #59
calatravato
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5711/1a-011
I wouldn’t say I’m “leaving” Rolex. I’d be happy to scoop one up if they ever came available through an AD. But I’m not holding my breath. I enjoy rotating new entrants into my collection from time to time, and if it isn’t possible with Rolex, I’m happy to consider other more available brands.

Like others on this thread, I’ve become quite enamored with Grand Seiko. Their innovation in movements, although controversial, is second to none IMO. The dials are so unique. The cases are so well-finished, and Zaratsu polishing is just otherworldly.

The silver lining with this Rolex scarcity is that it’s bringing attention to new entrants and alternate brands. It’s moving the industry forward with exciting innovations and fresh and bold design. Look at GS and some of the independents like Journe, Ferrier, Moser, and Gronefeld. They’re running circles around Rolex right now, and at some point, the market is going to want more than incremental changes Rolex rolls out on pieces you can’t get. So really, if you’re open to other brands, it’s an exciting time to be in this hobby.

Having said that, I’d still pick a Rolex up if I could find one. They’re still the best tool watches in the business.
Old 9 January 2021, 02:35 PM   #60
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Someone on TRF reminded me months ago to be grateful for the watches I have and to quit worrying about the ones promised to me by the AD which may or may not ever show up. I’m in a pretty good place...