The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 18 January 2021, 04:02 AM   #31
paneristinewb
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushido View Post
I have to admit, after thinking it over, if they've changed the movement without notification, it's leaving me feeling a bit salty.

I've gone ahead and emailed both the boutique SA as well as Panerai concierge politely asking about this. I will update everyone once I get a response.

Please do. I think the more voices they hear from, hopefully we can get some answers or have them make this right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
paneristinewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 04:07 AM   #32
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushido View Post
I have to admit, after thinking it over, if they've changed the movement without notification, it's leaving me feeling a bit salty.

I've gone ahead and emailed both the boutique SA as well as Panerai concierge politely asking about this. I will update everyone once I get a response.
thank you.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 04:14 AM   #33
The OG Beef
"TRF" Member

I’ve contacted a source in Neuchâtel. Will advise.

all_in_the_pamily
The OG Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 04:21 AM   #34
56Diver
"TRF" Member

Icon19

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OG Beef View Post
I’ve contacted a source in Neuchâtel. Will advise.

all_in_the_pamily
THANK YOU
56Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 04:56 AM   #35
walds11
"TRF" Member

Slightly off topic. I have a PAM 959 with warranty card dated 2/2020. OP XXXIV calibre is stamped on the movement paper.

Per the website, the watch has the P.900 calibre:

https://www.panerai.com/us/en/collec...le---42mm.html

According to this website, reference P.900 / base OP XXXIV:

https://watchbase.com/panerai/caliber/p-900

Which movement do I have?
Old 18 January 2021, 05:16 AM   #36
OJONES
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
Slightly off topic. I have a PAM 959 with warranty card dated 2/2020. OP XXXIV calibre is stamped on the movement paper.

Per the website, the watch has the P.900 calibre:

https://www.panerai.com/us/en/collec...le---42mm.html

According to this website, reference P.900 / base OP XXXIV:

https://watchbase.com/panerai/caliber/p-900

Which movement do I have?
Isn’t that the same thing. They just rebranded the richemont moment to the panerai in-house naming convention.

The more I think about the 1313, the more it annoys me. Panerai really have a habit of cost cutting on watches within a very short time frame from release. After all, it’s not like any of the watch sites are going to add an addendum to the reviews of the original spec. Richemont really do seem to push the penny pinching with Panerai.
OJONES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 05:34 AM   #37
waterman1
2024 Pledge Member

I sent my 2019 979 with P.9010 mvmt in for service last week due to some erratic behavior - stopping for no reason, and what had been excellent accuracy suddenly off as well. I received a letter from Panerai within 1 day apologizing and stating that they will do a full service at no cost and get this back to spec. No mention of altering the movement in any way. And of course this hacked. I would not consider paying that kind of money for non-hacking watch. I may call them tomorrow to ask about what I am hearing pertaining to this issue. If they were to say they will change to non-hacking, we have a serious problem! That is not what I purchased. I will update the forum with what I hear.
waterman1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 05:37 AM   #38
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJONES View Post
Isn’t that the same thing. They just rebranded the richemont moment to the panerai in-house naming convention.

The more I think about the 1313, the more it annoys me. Panerai really have a habit of cost cutting on watches within a very short time frame from release. After all, it’s not like any of the watch sites are going to add an addendum to the reviews of the original spec. Richemont really do seem to push the penny pinching with Panerai.
And here lies the bigger issue. Panerai went through a black eye moment with the Brookland Bridge issue. That at least had a stamping of a different movement inside. The Optics were a mess well beyond that one watch. Panerai then went through a complete restructure to put a lot of time and money in a genuine in-house movement making a top shelf movement for their flagship models. In tandem they come out with a entry level line of Panerai. They invest and develop all new top end case materials. Panerai was finding their way again with a progressive and exciting image. To risk all they have done with this movement and image over the last few years would be beyond reckless. The marketing investment alone will lost in one foolish move.

Hypothetically speaking: No one is this short sighted unless they plan to scrap the movement with a all new movement around the corner. If they purposely hobble the P9010 the last year, it will make their all new movement look even more of a achievement. This is a idiotic move and a big FU to anyone that buys a 2020 model but I cant wrap my head around any possible reason for sabotaging their best movement. Forget about if the movement is sandblasted or finished different, trivial. You would never save enough money to warrant a mechanical change in a already established movement to make it worth the trouble. I have been around the mechanical watch world for over 30 years now. I am stumped. I am not rushing into any opinion until I get more intel directly from Panerai.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 05:40 AM   #39
roger.bolton
"TRF" Member

Panerai concierge, in my experience, are useless. I asked two questions via email, both gave the wrong answer!
roger.bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 05:44 AM   #40
paneristinewb
2024 Pledge Member

I am going to call there myself tomorrow to get someone on the phone. I have also emailed an AD that I know of from YouTube (Elizabeth Smith, from Oliver Smith Jewelers in Aspen, CO). She has a great YouTube site and is a large Panerai AD. Will let you know what I hear.

Would be great if we can keep the thread going to report back what we all hear. The more information, the better for everyone.

Old 18 January 2021, 05:47 AM   #41
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Isn’t P.900 the pure in-house movement and OP XXXIV the rebranded Richemont movement? If that is the case, there is definitely a difference, but what do I know...

Since my movement papers have OP XXXIV stamped on them, should I assume that’s what I got...?

In any event just curious. I love the watch!
Old 18 January 2021, 05:49 AM   #42
The OG Beef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman1 View Post
I sent my 2019 979 with P.9010 mvmt in for service last week due to some erratic behavior - stopping for no reason, and what had been excellent accuracy suddenly off as well. I received a letter from Panerai within 1 day apologizing and stating that they will do a full service at no cost and get this back to spec. No mention of altering the movement in any way. And of course this hacked. I would not consider paying that kind of money for non-hacking watch. I may call them tomorrow to ask about what I am hearing pertaining to this issue. If they were to say they will change to non-hacking, we have a serious problem! That is not what I purchased. I will update the forum with what I hear.

No chance they will change your movement.

all_in_the_pamily on IG

The OG Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 05:50 AM   #43
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paneristinewb View Post
I am going to call there myself tomorrow to get someone on the phone. I have also emailed an AD that I know of from YouTube (Elizabeth Smith, from Oliver Smith Jewelers in Aspen, CO). She has a great YouTube site and is a large Panerai AD. Will let you know what I hear.

Would be great if we can keep the thread going to report back what we all hear. The more information, the better for everyone.

Ha, this thread isnt going anywhere. You wont believe the nuclear crap storm that is going to happen over this. It will be epic. It will consume any and everything Panerai on social media. Buckle in.
Old 18 January 2021, 05:57 AM   #44
OJONES
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
Isn’t P.900 the pure in-house movement and OP XXXIV the rebranded Richemont movement? If that is the case, there is definitely a difference, but what do I know...

Since my movement papers have OP XXXIV stamped on them, should I assume that’s what I got...?

In any event just curious. I love the watch!
No. The p9000 is an in house movement. The p900 is the rebadged Richemont OP movement. Confusing, isn’t it. It’s as if they did it on purpose!!!
Old 18 January 2021, 06:04 AM   #45
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No. The p9000 is an in house movement. The p900 is the rebadged Richemont OP movement. Confusing, isn’t it. It’s as if they did it on purpose!!!
Ah, I get it now!

Since my movement papers have OP XXXIV stamped on them, should I assume that’s what I got? Or will that depend on the production date of the watch?
Old 18 January 2021, 06:13 AM   #46
paneristinewb
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Ha, this thread isnt going anywhere. You wont believe the nuclear crap storm that is going to happen over this. It will be epic. It will consume any and everything Panerai on social media. Buckle in.

Hahahaha. Well, here is the first of my updates. See response from Elizabeth Smith.

Old 18 January 2021, 06:20 AM   #47
Alex_TA
"TRF" Member

Who is this Elizabeth? Seems like her knowledge is limited.
Alex_TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 06:21 AM   #48
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Hahahaha. Well, here is the first of my updates. See response from Elizabeth Smith.

Limited interest in that feature?? Thats like saying there is no interest in electric windows in my $120k BMW until they are replaced with manual roll ups. How about nonflushing toilets??? I bet there might be some interest if you eliminate that limited and unrequested feature.
Old 18 January 2021, 06:24 AM   #49
OJONES
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I hear the 2022 p9010 will be even more fabulous. Three year battery life, no need to wind, a lovely ticking seconds feature (nobody every mentions sweeping seconds), all while having that renowned reliability of a not at all different calibre.
Old 18 January 2021, 06:36 AM   #50
paneristinewb
2024 Pledge Member

LOL on the electric window comments. I think that was just some of her own perspective, but Elizabeth Smith is a reliable resource.

Point being that it’s official and was a move by Richmont. It was so quiet that even their AD’s aren’t aware of the reason why. Let’s just assume it’s cost cutting.

Old 18 January 2021, 06:38 AM   #51
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
https://youtu.be/n0qbpMVnSx4

Read the comments and the replies.
Watch This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 06:40 AM   #52
Jocke
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
I hope Elisabeth's car stops when she turn it off and the dealer don't have put a non stopping engine inside it at the last service.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 06:42 AM   #53
paneristinewb
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch This View Post

Yup

Old 18 January 2021, 06:43 AM   #54
rambo99
Banned

Quote:

i would tell this panerai boutique director, movement's reliability is not the only thing we care for on a luxury mechanical watch. the complexity and craftmanship displays on a movement are also a very important factor. i would certainly buy a digital watch instead of a mechanical one if reliability is my only concern.
Old 18 January 2021, 06:45 AM   #55
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch This View Post

Noticed it had the original 9010 movement when he demonstrated setting the time.
Old 18 January 2021, 06:46 AM   #56
Bushido
"TRF" Member

Quick update as I have gotten a reply from my boutique SA. Hear is her response:

"It is a New P.9010 movement, starting from FY21 the P.9010 calibre has been gradually replaced by a new version of P.9010 calibre.

The updated caliber features some small different aesthetic and functional modifications does not have anymore the stop second feature, other functions are the same. The corporate working on updating/removing the specs on the website."

I replied and thanked her for the information. I then, very respectfully, expressed my disappointment both with the change as well as the lack of notification and continuing to advertise the hacking feature. I requested she pass along my expression of disappointment up the ladder.

I think it's safe to say we have concrete confirmation of the altered 9010 caliber between multiple independent members. Having been a regular and enthusiastic fan, I'm pretty disheartened with Panerai right now.
Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 06:47 AM   #57
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

How about setting the watch to a accurate time reference? How do they think this can be done without a hacking second? I would ask this question to see what they recommend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
i would tell this panerai boutique director, movement's reliability is not the only thing we care for on a luxury mechanical watch. the complexity and craftmanship displays on a movement are also a very important factor. i would certainly buy a digital watch instead of a mechanical one if reliability is my only concern.
Old 18 January 2021, 06:47 AM   #58
OJONES
"TRF" Member

It really is a shame, because the 1314 looked like a lock for me. But no, I’m done; I’m not giving Panerai any more chances.
Old 18 January 2021, 06:47 AM   #59
rambo99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Noticed it had the original 9010 movement when he demonstrated setting the time.
panerai cheated, again!
Old 18 January 2021, 06:51 AM   #60
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
panerai cheated, again!
Here is what will develop. All the gen 1 P.9010 movements will be sought after on the secondary markets and ask a premium for them. I can see it coming with todays watch enthusiast. They will eat this up as a commodity. On that same theme, if you are interested in a new Panerai and find the model you want with a gen 1 P9010, better buy it now. I guarantee our trusted sellers will advertise what gen P9010 movement they have and prices will reflect it.

The only reason this has not started is because nobody knew this change. We are the enthusiast and Paneristis. Today might as well been a press release on social media.