The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12 September 2022, 06:51 PM   #1
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
A watch for a very special occasion (long post)

Late last year some of you know I was diagnosed with cancer of the liver. At the same time it was imminent that in addition I was to have neck surgery performed..

So the first was this March with a triple cervical fusion. This took weeks to recover from as one would imagine. What was not foreseen was that I was unable to keep my beloved mechanical watch collection running during this time.

I had pulled a brand new Breitling SO out and was wearing it at the time. With days, sometimes weeks of inactive wear it would rundown un expectedly. (38 hr) power reserve. Sleep was hit or miss and I would also forget to manually wind it.

I even tried my beloved Longines with the 72 hour power reserve and ultimately resulted in the same. I talked with my friends at Windsor's Jewelers about a watch I had previously, a Grand Seiko 9F series which was lite and about as maintenance free as one could get.

We thought it would be a ideal choice given my situation. So we made a transaction and I brought one home. In the next few months I came to appreciate the fine quality of GS and especially the 9F series. The more time I spent with it, the more impressed I was. So much so I was able to acquire a second 9F piece.

Enter Cancer. Treatment for the 1st battle really knocked me down. Convalescence left me weak. But the GS 9F stood by during many a night of painful recovery. Faithfully recording time of medication, appointments etc.

I had mentioned that if I could win this latest battle, I wanted to celebrate with a special watch. But which one? During a routine visit with my oncologist I received some news I was not expecting. I was not to return home that day. But rather to be immediately admitted to the hospital and the biggest operation of my life to begin the next morning! The third major surgery this year.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and minus one gall bladder and one entire lobe from my liver. I received the news. Cancer free!!

Say, time to start thinking about the special watch. When I told my friends at Windsor's ( Winston-Salem) they had the absolute perfect watch for me to mark this occasion. A truly remarkable timepiece. The GS SBGP017 special edition. And they were able to secure one even though all 2000 had been sold out.

It's beautiful in so many ways, exhibition case back on a 9F, right color and the coolest thing is out of only 2000 made world wide. Mine is number 1234/2000..

I know this post was very long. But just wanted to share my story. And I am sure to post some much better photos in the future when I'm physically able. Thank you all for reading and the support so many have given. I truly appreciate it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220912_034757.jpg (266.6 KB, 558 views)
File Type: jpg 20220912_034647.jpg (108.6 KB, 549 views)
File Type: jpg 20220912_034610.jpg (155.9 KB, 555 views)
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote