The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 15 August 2019, 03:41 AM   #1
DubyaDee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116600
Help me choose a blue faced sports watch

I'm celebrating a few special occasions with 1 watch purchase and I want a blue faced sports watch.

Currently I have a JLC Master Control Sector Dial w/blue shell cordovan strap, and an Omega Seamaster 300M ref. 22545000 on bracelet. Typically the JLC for the week, and Seamaster for the weekend.

Watches that I've been lusting after:
Grand Seiko SBGA375
Rolex Yachtmaster 126622
Vacheron Constantin Overseas 4500V

What are your thoughts on this comparison? Every week I change my mind on which to go with. I realize they are all about $5,000 apart from each other. Thanks!
DubyaDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2019, 04:17 AM   #2
Mbbgysam
2024 Pledge Member

Personally not a fan of the YM. It's hard to find a better value than GS right now, especially if you can get a decent discount. If you're willing to shell out the extra cash, the 4500V is a whole other level of fit and finish (I have both a GS and a 4500V), and that blue dial is AMAZING.

Not a sports watch, but if I were you I'd also consider the blue dial Lange Saxonia.
Mbbgysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2019, 04:37 AM   #3
WaxedElvis
"TRF" Member

I can’t comment on the GS, but have the Blue YM and the VC Overseas in blue. Love them both and you really need to see both in person, if you haven’t. Pictures do neither justice. It’s personal taste, of course, but IMO the VC is very “rich” and more dynamic, and I don’t mean that as positive of negative, just observation. The straps system on the VC is a plus too. That said, if I had to pick one – I don’t know which I’d choose. Neither are common, but the VC less so. That said, I do wear the YM more. Not sure I helped – good luck with your choice. Wish the picture was better……
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VC-OS-B.JPG (132.3 KB, 577 views)
File Type: jpg BYM.JPG (105.4 KB, 578 views)
File Type: jpg 3-blue.JPG (122.8 KB, 575 views)
WaxedElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2019, 04:47 AM   #4
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
I’d get the blue sub but if your not into subs for any
reason which I can’t imagine why you wouldn’t be ?
Get the blue yachtmaster...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2019, 04:55 AM   #5
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Just upon reading the title, before reading your choices, my initial thought was the VC 4500v. In the flesh, the dial is beautiful. Plus, the three additional straps and quick change system make it much more versatile.
I love the YM, but I don't really consider that a true sports watch. A little too delicate for that category and I'd likely find myself only wearing it for evenings out. The VC I'd see myself wearing for any occasion.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2019, 05:49 AM   #6
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxedElvis View Post
I can’t comment on the GS, but have the Blue YM and the VC Overseas in blue. Love them both and you really need to see both in person, if you haven’t. Pictures do neither justice. It’s personal taste, of course, but IMO the VC is very “rich” and more dynamic, and I don’t mean that as positive of negative, just observation. The straps system on the VC is a plus too. That said, if I had to pick one – I don’t know which I’d choose. Neither are common, but the VC less so. That said, I do wear the YM more. Not sure I helped – good luck with your choice. Wish the picture was better……
Great pics and the VC's deep blue is the winner for me.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2019, 05:53 AM   #7
ts3
"TRF" Member

By way of excluding the others I'd end up w the GS out of your three options - the VC looks a little rich for my taste and I don't like that YM very much.

Glashütte Original Seventies Panorama Date and Girard Perregaux Laureato are other options for a blue sports watch in your price range which I might prefer over the GS and the others...
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2019, 07:36 AM   #8
DasKptl
Banned

Vacheron Overseas, anyday.

DasKptl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2019, 08:57 AM   #9
WaxedElvis
"TRF" Member

If you can find one of these - Blancpain Ocean Commitment III - Limited Edition - might be a nice option. Obviously not my watch or picture.
Old 15 August 2019, 09:06 AM   #10
WaxedElvis
"TRF" Member

I like blue dials - can't help it. This would also be on my short list.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Moser-Pioneer-blue.jpg (6.9 KB, 525 views)
Old 15 August 2019, 10:03 AM   #11
ROA
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Amongst the options you had enumerated, I would choose the VC 4500V. Am not really a YM fan. Best of luck on your search!
ROA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2019, 11:22 AM   #12
DubyaDee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116600
Thanks for the other suggestions. That Blancpain is sweet. I really like a watch with a simple dial that you can still get lost in. I really wish there was a VC dealer closer to me in Michigan.
DubyaDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2019, 01:21 PM   #13
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roger Lococco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2019, 01:26 PM   #14
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
Vc
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2019, 04:19 PM   #15
TJMike
Banned

Another vote for the Vacheron Overseas.
TJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2019, 04:22 PM   #16
Hank
"TRF" Member

Go for the VC. Very versatile watch.

Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2019, 04:42 PM   #17
DamageInc.77
"TRF" Member

Watch: UJ Alfred 40
Old 15 August 2019, 05:51 PM   #18
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageInc.77 View Post
The UJ One is a really interesting entry into the ultra-luxury sports segment. Love the UJ blue dial on this model, although I feel they should have colour matched the date wheel to the dial (think AP RO blue dial)
MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2019, 09:44 PM   #19
JayHantz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @Escapementt
I tried on the VC when I was in Dubai on Monday - I thought it was killer and with the two extra straps, it really can be worn in any situation. The depth of the blue dial is insane, and I would liken it to the depth of the FPJ CB.

If you can afford it, I would definitely go this route and the VC is picking up popularity as well, so I can see this being a safe buy.
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2019, 10:00 PM   #20
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
If you can find one of these - Blancpain Ocean Commitment III - Limited Edition - might be a nice option. Obviously not my watch or picture.
I’d love be to see one of these in real life. Hoping to today
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2019, 11:50 PM   #21
WaxedElvis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I’d love be to see one of these in real life. Hoping to today
If you do - pics please!

I had a line on one a while back and passed. Never seen one in person which caused me to second guess the move. I think that may have a mistake.
Old 16 August 2019, 07:05 AM   #22
Jace
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DD 40
The VC blue face is on my wrist. So you know my vote. Now let me explain why.

VC is one of the holy Trinity. Rolex is really known for its durability. Most holy trinity watches are not. But this one is.

The overseas is 40 mm, which is a very modern size. The case depth is 10.5 mm, which is also a very modern size. It is water resistant to 150 m, is antimagnetic to 25,000. This is actually higher than Rolexes (100m) or AP (50m ) or Patek (120m) . It has a Geneva seal on both the case and the movement which is a proprietary manufacture movement which is absolutely beautiful and visible with the reveal back. The bracelet is awesome because it is easily removable with a finger nail and its best feature is a micro adjuster which increases the bracelet size by either 2 mm or 4 mm for when your wrist swells. The finish on this watch is extremely exact, similar to the Nautilis and Royal Oak. But, fear not. The watch comes with an alligator strap and a rubber strap. But what most people don’t mention is that you can buy all the other straps you want to to change it up. I live in a hot climate so I don’t really wear the alligator but I I have, and regularly wear, the blue rubber, black rubber and brown rubber straps which can be purchased from VC.

The overseas has all the durability of the Rolex with all the appeal of a high horologist piece and the flexibility of multiple ways to wear the watch. What’s not to like?

Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 07:19 AM   #23
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace View Post
The VC blue face is on my wrist. So you know my vote. Now let me explain why.

VC is one of the holy Trinity. Rolex is really known for its durability. Most holy trinity watches are not. But this one is.

The overseas is 40 mm, which is a very modern size. The case depth is 10.5 mm, which is also a very modern size. It is water resistant to 150 m, is antimagnetic to 25,000. This is actually higher than Rolexes (100m) or AP (50m ) or Patek (120m) . It has a Geneva seal on both the case and the movement which is a proprietary manufacture movement which is absolutely beautiful and visible with the reveal back. The bracelet is awesome because it is easily removable with a finger nail and its best feature is a micro adjuster which increases the bracelet size by either 2 mm or 4 mm for when your wrist swells. The finish on this watch is extremely exact, similar to the Nautilis and Royal Oak. But, fear not. The watch comes with an alligator strap and a rubber strap. But what most people don’t mention is that you can buy all the other straps you want to to change it up. I live in a hot climate so I don’t really wear the alligator but I I have, and regularly wear, the blue rubber, black rubber and brown rubber straps which can be purchased from VC.

The overseas has all the durability of the Rolex with all the appeal of a high horologist piece and the flexibility of multiple ways to wear the watch. What’s not to like?

Nice mini-review .. except website lists diameter as 41mm and thickness 11mm. I’ve always found it to wear on the bigger side given the arrangement of the lugs/bracelet. But a fantastic watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 07:26 AM   #24
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
If you do - pics please!

I had a line on one a while back and passed. Never seen one in person which caused me to second guess the move. I think that may have a mistake.
Unfortunately my AD did not have one

I did however, get to try on a VC overseas (black dial, no blue in stock). What a lovely watch. I was very impressed with the build quality of the bracelet ... had a very silky feel

A bit pricey here at $24.5 K but VERY nice indeed, I’m envious
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 08:03 AM   #25
WaxedElvis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Unfortunately my AD did not have one

I did however, get to try on a VC overseas (black dial, no blue in stock). What a lovely watch. I was very impressed with the build quality of the bracelet ... had a very silky feel

A bit pricey here at $24.5 K but VERY nice indeed, I’m envious
Sorry to hear that - but thanks for trying. But, at least you got the see a VC in person.
Old 16 August 2019, 08:13 AM   #26
WaxedElvis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
Nice mini-review .. except website lists diameter as 41mm and thickness 11mm. I’ve always found it to wear on the bigger side given the arrangement of the lugs/bracelet. But a fantastic watch.

I was concerned about the size when looking - see photo for a more common watch for comparison. While 41mm, for me at least, I don't find it wears too large. Think the Chrono is also beautiful, but larger. The Dual time is the same size, although may be thicker. The alligator/leather band is kind of thick, the bracelet and rubber thinner which also changes the way it wears and the "visual size". YMMV
Old 16 August 2019, 08:14 AM   #27
WaxedElvis
"TRF" Member

Opps - sorry - no picture. Not sure why it won't load - was the VC next to a SMP.
Old 16 August 2019, 08:40 AM   #28
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
i really like the blue dial Overseas! Really like the moser pioneer blue fume also although a bit larger. Would also consider GS sbgh267, UN freak X and the Cartier blue santos if you like the shape.
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 09:52 AM   #29
Jace
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DD 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post

Misfire. You are right. 41.

Here’s mine blue on black rubber strap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2019, 12:44 PM   #30
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I like blue dials - can't help it. This would also be on my short list.
Like!
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote