The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 23 April 2020, 11:19 AM   #1
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Alternative to the Montblanc Pix Rollerball

Hi All,

I've read a few people on here speak about the Montblanc Pix Rollerball... I really like it in grey - however, it is hard to justify $450 for a resin pen (even if that resin is "precious").

I'm looking for something like the Pix Rollerball - cap, shortish bodied, rollerball equipped.

Any suggestions?
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2020, 04:54 AM   #2
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yess View Post
Hi All,

I've read a few people on here speak about the Montblanc Pix Rollerball... I really like it in grey - however, it is hard to justify $450 for a resin pen (even if that resin is "precious").

I'm looking for something like the Pix Rollerball - cap, shortish bodied, rollerball equipped.

Any suggestions?

No idea, if your eye and interest is captured by the Montblanc then little else will do. Perhaps look for a used one on line at a better price.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2020, 11:18 AM   #3
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
No idea, if your eye and interest is captured by the Montblanc then little else will do. Perhaps look for a used one on line at a better price.
Yeah, that might be the way to go... I have read some horror stories about the Pix. But of course, no one ever posts how great they are going with a luxury item, they just get on with it.
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2020, 03:27 AM   #4
Thurnau
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust
Quote:
...no one ever posts how great they are going with a luxury item, they just get on with it.
I'll go ahead and post talking about my luxury pens. Most of my Mont Blanc pens are awesome. Here are the problems I've had. The standard Mont Blanc rollerball refill doesn't last very long at all, but the legrande models do last a long time. When I write that the standard ones don't last long at all, I've had put a new refill in a pen to write some checks, put that pen back in a drawer, and a month later the refill dries out. Yes the cap is on. If I use only one dedicated pen with a new Mont Blanc pen, I get about a month of usage. My Cartier refills have been much better than my Mont Blanc, but they're an entirely different can of worms.

I'd stay far away from getting a new starwalker pen. I've had one strip, and the parts are inconveniently not available. When I buy a luxury pen from a fine pen maker with after sales service, I expect them to work on my pen later. This isn't the case.

If people are trashing the pen online, there is a good chance it has some flaws that bother some people and not others. I don't have much experience with Mont Blanc Pix. What are people saying about it?
Thurnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2020, 06:26 AM   #5
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurnau View Post
I'll go ahead and post talking about my luxury pens. Most of my Mont Blanc pens are awesome. Here are the problems I've had. The standard Mont Blanc rollerball refill doesn't last very long at all, but the legrande models do last a long time. When I write that the standard ones don't last long at all, I've had put a new refill in a pen to write some checks, put that pen back in a drawer, and a month later the refill dries out. Yes the cap is on. If I use only one dedicated pen with a new Mont Blanc pen, I get about a month of usage. My Cartier refills have been much better than my Mont Blanc, but they're an entirely different can of worms.

I'd stay far away from getting a new starwalker pen. I've had one strip, and the parts are inconveniently not available. When I buy a luxury pen from a fine pen maker with after sales service, I expect them to work on my pen later. This isn't the case.

If people are trashing the pen online, there is a good chance it has some flaws that bother some people and not others. I don't have much experience with Mont Blanc Pix. What are people saying about it?
Enjoy them!
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2020, 10:05 PM   #6
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurnau View Post

It's interesting to see the Starwalker trashed here. I'm curious if you returned the pen to MB for repair? Why do you say the parts aren't available?

My experience with cross threading is that it's usually caused by operator error. There certainly have been a lot of positive comments in this forum regarding the Starwalker. I personally just purchased the prior generation one and I'm enjoying it a lot. I have a hard time imagining stripping the threads.

Please elaborate a bit more.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 01:27 AM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Yeah, that might be the way to go... I have read some horror stories about the Pix. But of course, no one ever posts how great they are going with a luxury item, they just get on with it.
Horror stories?

The Pix is half the price of the Meisterstuck and uses the same refills. I have both and don't really see what could go wrong or be horrific; all of mine work as advertised and have for years.
Old 20 May 2020, 04:18 PM   #8
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Horror stories?

The Pix is half the price of the Meisterstuck and uses the same refills. I have both and don't really see what could go wrong or be horrific; all of mine work as advertised and have for years.
x2!
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote