The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 28 September 2008, 06:06 PM   #1
jamesh
"TRF" Member

Thoughts on Cartier Santos 100?

Thinking about the next addition to my collection and I've come back to the Cartier Santos 100 (in SS/gold) again. Just wondering what everyone elses thoughts are on this watch?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANTOS_100.jpg (33.7 KB, 218 views)
jamesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2008, 10:26 PM   #2
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
Oustanding watch with a great history. Very classic design. Personally I prefer the all SS versoin, as goes better with most activities/clothing. The curved case has incredible comfortable on the wrist! Cartier also is a great company with great after sales service.

I like the Santos 100 best on their SS Bracelet. They make one of the best bracelets around.

I also have my eye on the Cartier X-Large Roadster GMT!
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2008, 03:42 AM   #3
wtcope

Watch: Rolex, Cartier
I really like Cartier, but I prefer their classic tank designs. I also prefer the all SS version with a bracelet. Service in Australia isn't cheap, for example, the AD in Melbourne will charge $150 AUD to have your Roadster polished (scratches removed).
wtcope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2008, 04:01 AM   #4
Langley

Looking for a square watch for my collection as well. Like the JLC Reverso Classique in two-tone, but that two-tone Santos on the brown strap really looks nice as well. I would definitely consider it. What does it retail for in the US, and would an AD typically discount ?
Langley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2008, 04:30 PM   #5
jamesh
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the feedback guys - seems like most prefer the all-SS version... I agree, definately more versatile to wear to work or casually...

One more question - does anyone think the SS / Gold version is too "showy" or "bling-bling"? I don't mind a little bling but not too much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langley View Post
Looking for a square watch for my collection as well. Like the JLC Reverso Classique in two-tone, but that two-tone Santos on the brown strap really looks nice as well. I would definitely consider it. What does it retail for in the US, and would an AD typically discount ?
Hi Langley - Yeah, square is a good addition to any collection for something different. it's $HK 57K here in Hong Kong and they offer 12% discount so I guess about $US 6,400 after discount. How does that compare to the US?

Cheers

James
Old 29 September 2008, 10:42 PM   #6
Mort
"TRF" Member

I have had my Santos 100 for over a year now and it is one of my favorite watches. Even though it is large, being curved it wears nice on the wrist.
Stainless DJ II Rhodium with Arabic Dial 116334, Longines RG Master Collection Chronograph Triple Date Moon, Maurice Lacroix TT Masterpiece Triple Date Moon, Vintage Gallet SS Flying Officer Chronograph
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2008, 11:22 PM   #7
jamesh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
I have had my Santos 100 for over a year now and it is one of my favorite watches. Even though it is large, being curved it wears nice on the wrist.
Thanks Mort - very nice watch you've got there. The all SS version is growing on me...

By the way, I like the rest of your collection - very well rounded.
Old 30 September 2008, 12:54 AM   #8
Mort
"TRF" Member

Thanks

Good luck on your choice. BTW the two tone version looks really good as well. At the time if I had the coin, I would of gone for the TT just because I prefer gold and two tone timepieces.
Stainless DJ II Rhodium with Arabic Dial 116334, Longines RG Master Collection Chronograph Triple Date Moon, Maurice Lacroix TT Masterpiece Triple Date Moon, Vintage Gallet SS Flying Officer Chronograph
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2008, 04:25 AM   #9
Milgauss J
"TRF" Member

I have the SS as well on bracelet, but I am looking to get a black strap for it as well to switch up the look. I just can't believe it cost about $700 to make the switch. It is very comfortable to wear. To me, on the bracelet, it feels like a very dressy watch.

I called the Cartier store in South Coast plaza and the lady there told me that they have a fabric strap available for this watch as well. I can't find anything online regarding that. Can anyone confirm that? Maybe a picture?

Good luck on your choice!
Milgauss J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2008, 05:21 AM   #10
Teofilo

Watch: 14060M,16710 PEPSI
I dont often disagree with Leopardprey when it comes to watches, but the TT version of this watch is simply stunning and my idea of the perfect dress watch.
Definitely one for my imaginary/dream collection........should have the money for this in roughly 2011.....
Teofilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2008, 11:52 AM   #11
jamesh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teofilo View Post
I dont often disagree with Leopardprey when it comes to watches, but the TT version of this watch is simply stunning and my idea of the perfect dress watch.
Definitely one for my imaginary/dream collection........should have the money for this in roughly 2011.....
Thanks for the alternative view Peter - the TT is really nice, I guess it just comes down to how each one feels on the wrist at the final moment - and if it's worth the extra $ for the TT. Anyway, another a couple of months saving before I take the plunge.
Old 1 October 2008, 11:55 PM   #12
tech_controller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Bleed...
The Santos 100 is a classic and a must have...you sir have excellent taste!
tech_controller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2008, 12:02 AM   #13
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
nice watch no real complaints except the polished trim round the face scratches really easily- . i hade one for 6 months but traded it for my milgauss in april.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mil 001.jpg (40.0 KB, 167 views)

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2008, 09:04 PM   #14
jamesh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_controller View Post
The Santos 100 is a classic and a must have...you sir have excellent taste!
Thanks Daniel - glad to have that affirmation as classic is what I look for in a watch!

Speaking of which - I'm still caught between the TT SS/Gold or All SS version. Which in your view is "more classic" foir Santos (if that makes sense!)?
Old 2 October 2008, 09:06 PM   #15
jamesh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toph View Post
nice watch no real complaints except the polished trim round the face scratches really easily- . i hade one for 6 months but traded it for my milgauss in april.
Thanks Toph - looks good on your wrist but I'm sure the Milgauss looks great too!
Old 8 October 2008, 09:38 AM   #16
buz-lh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Pam
It's a beautiful watch but I can't get past the screws on the bezel not being aligned. Totally detracts from the look imho. (See AP for how it should be done). I can't believe it would take that much more to align them, but other than that, it's a sweet piece.

buz-lh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2008, 06:02 AM   #17
mrkool
"TRF" Member

It is on my buy list.
Panerai
Movado S.E
mrkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2008, 03:42 PM   #18
jamesh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buz-lh View Post
It's a beautiful watch but I can't get past the screws on the bezel not being aligned. Totally detracts from the look imho. (See AP for how it should be done). I can't believe it would take that much more to align them, but other than that, it's a sweet piece.
Hi Buz - yeah, I know what you mean.. You wouldn't think it would be too hard to line the screws up. Personally it doesn't bother me too much but I can certainly see why it may bother some, especially given what you're paying.
Old 4 December 2008, 06:15 AM   #19
Teofilo

Watch: 14060M,16710 PEPSI
Jamesh, glad to see you have your Santos 100 now.......great pictures on the other thread.
Teofilo is offline   Reply With Quote