The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 December 2018, 11:35 AM   #1
mfm22
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 1
Rolex warranty - no card ?

I would say there is zero chance of getting a watch serviced under warranty period without said card

But what if you have card without original receipt of purchase ?

I was told by a local AD that Rolex is tightening up things and will not honor warranty without card & receipt. True / false ?
mfm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 11:37 AM   #2
2024 Pledge Member

If your watch needs warranty service, call RUSA NYC and ask them. 212-758-7700

No sense in speculating otherwise.

If the warranty card is in your name then I don't see why they'd also need a receipt.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 12:19 PM   #3
mfm22
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 1
Looking at watches for sale. Lots if GM watches don't have cards
mfm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 12:25 PM   #4
2024 Pledge Member

If you're buying a second-hand watch from a non-AD without a card then a receipt won't do you any good. You would need either the original receipt from an AD or the card.

If warranty coverage is of utmost concern and you're looking at watches that are five years old or less, buy something with a card. Rolex will perform warranty service on a watch with a card. People receive watches as gifts all the time and don't receive a receipt.

If the watch you're looking at is older than mid-2015 then the warranty is gone by now and a card is therefore meaningless.
Old 17 December 2018, 12:40 PM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
If the watch is from well known Grey Market areas, Rolex may indeed ask for an original receipt to ensure it was not purchased on the Gray Market.

Gray Market watches seldom have valid warranties.
Old 17 December 2018, 12:49 PM   #6
2024 Pledge Member

The USA warranty card makes no mention that a receipt must also be provided.

Has Rolex denied warranty to anyone holding a valid warranty card but not the original receipt? How would one receive a watch as a gift and get a warranty?

Or, are we conflating a true "grey market" watch and one simply purchased second-hand?
Old 17 December 2018, 12:52 PM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Rolex, or any company, has the right to determine if a warranty is valid. We have had plenty of stories here about needing to provide a receipt.

A receipt is always required if you send only a photocopy of the warranty card in with the watch.
Old 17 December 2018, 12:57 PM   #8
2024 Pledge Member

Why would one only send a photocopy of the card and not the actual card? The warranty book specifically mentions that the card must be presented for warranty service.

Again, I have a hard time believing that a warranty would be denied given what's stated in both the warranty book and on the card. If I send in a card with my name on it from my local AD, I can't see any reason why they'd also need a copy of my receipt. And, if it was purchased second-hand and a valid card is presented, I can't see why they'd need a receipt. The warranty makes no mention of receipts.
Old 17 December 2018, 01:03 PM   #9
2024 Pledge Member

Here's the policy: https://www.rolex.com/services/faq.html

Quote:
Rolex guarantees the proper functioning of its watches for a period of five years from the date of purchase. The Rolex guarantee excludes normal wear-and-tear (notably the wear-and-tear of non-metal bracelets and straps), loss, theft, or damage due to misuse. The substitution of components with, or the addition of, components or accessories not manufactured by Rolex will invalidate the guarantee. The guarantee is valid only if (1) the watch has been sold by an Official Rolex Retailer; (2) the guarantee card has been completed in full by the Official Rolex Retailer at the time of purchase; and (3) the guarantee card is presented with the watch, either to an Official Rolex Retailer or to an Official Rolex Service Centre. Any work carried out by third parties will render the guarantee null and void.
No mention of a receipt.

Note: This is for the US. Other countries may differ in requirements.
Old 17 December 2018, 01:32 PM   #10
Watchie
"TRF" Member

Card is all that is required

If you have the warranty card and the watch is within the warranty period it will be honored. First, the warranty runs with the watch, not the owner. Second, assume that same watch was bought and for whatever reason sold, or even given to another owner. Is the warranty voided? Of course not.
Watchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 01:42 PM   #11
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
With all of the worrying lately about a plastic warranty card — it makes me wonder — how many Rolex watches actually REQUIRE warranty service - during the warranty period?

As long as I’ve owned Rolex watches - I’ve personally never had to use the warranty. Period. Making the ‘coveted’ warranty card - to me - useless.

The only other documents I keep / have for my watches are appraisals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 01:55 PM   #12
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
With all of the worrying lately about a plastic warranty card — it makes me wonder — how many Rolex watches actually REQUIRE warranty service - during the warranty period?
Probably about 0.000002%. Maybe less.

They wouldn't have gone to five-year coverage otherwise.
Old 18 December 2018, 11:48 AM   #13
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Probably about 0.000002%. Maybe less.

They wouldn't have gone to five-year coverage otherwise.

Case in point!

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 12:26 PM   #14
00devo
"TRF" Member

I've never had a problem with RSS bringing in a watch I purchased pre-owned with a warranty card and no receipt.
00devo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 01:25 PM   #15
GBD
"TRF" Member

Warranty goes with the watch, regardless of card or receipt. As long as the watch is within the warranty period, Rolex has to fulfill the terms of the warranty, whether or not the card and/or receipt are present. It's much harder to prove the watch is under warranty without the card and receipt, but the warranty exists entirely independently of those things.
GBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 02:05 PM   #16
ec51
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Went February 2013 to remove a hair on the dial and regulate the watch, RSC required a copy of the original sales receipt because it was "an international purchase."

Eric
ec51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 04:04 PM   #17
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Why would one only send a photocopy of the card and not the actual card? The warranty book specifically mentions that the card must be presented for warranty service.

Again, I have a hard time believing that a warranty would be denied given what's stated in both the warranty book and on the card. If I send in a card with my name on it from my local AD, I can't see any reason why they'd also need a copy of my receipt. And, if it was purchased second-hand and a valid card is presented, I can't see why they'd need a receipt. The warranty makes no mention of receipts.
there are stories about RSC NY asking for receipts for an international warranty. International warranties are issued by Rolex SA not Rolex USA. So technically Rolex USA doesnt have to do warranty work and could insist you send it to the entity who issued the warranty or fix it as a courtesy themselves but sometimes want a receipt (probably to see if you were the one who bought it on vacation or whatever and its not some grey market import you bought in the US). thats my understanding anyway.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 04:12 PM   #18
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
there are stories about RSC NY asking for receipts for an international warranty. International warranties are issues by Rolex SA not Rolex USA. So technically Rolex USA doesnt have to do warranty work and could insist you send it to the entity who issued the warranty or fix it as a courtesy themselves but sometimes want a receipt (probably to see if you were the one who bought it on vacation or whatever and its not some grey market import you bought in the US). thats my understanding anyway.
I could see that potentially being an issue. Location of the original purchase isn't stipulated in the US warranty terms. I don't have a non-US warranty card to read what it states in terms of coverage by locale.
Old 18 December 2018, 04:15 PM   #19
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I could see that potentially being an issue. Location of the original purchase isn't stipulated in the US warranty terms. I don't have a non-US warranty card to read what it states in terms of coverage by locale.
right but its a warranty from Rolex USA. Thats a different company than the company who issues my warranty. So Its kind of like wanting Apple to provide warranty work on a Samsung phone. Well maybe not quite, but you can see in that example they are different entities. So they can probably require whatever they want to require because they don't have to fix it if they don't want. They could say "send it to the UK to Switzerland or Germany or wherever" or "show me a receipt and we will fix it"

If you are providing the watch to the company who issued the warranty you should not have to provide a receipt as its not required or in the terms of the warranty.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 18 December 2018, 09:14 PM   #20
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post

As long as I’ve owned Rolex watches - I’ve personally never had to use the warranty. Period. Making the ‘coveted’ warranty card - to me - useless.

The only other documents I keep / have for my watches are appraisals.

For me of Rolex watches bought in the last three years.... 50%. I'm glad I had the warranty. Didn't need a receipt though.
Rocket_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 10:48 PM   #21
JBF1911
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_Man View Post
For me of Rolex watches bought in the last three years.... 50%. I'm glad I had the warranty. Didn't need a receipt though.

50% of what. That number has a much different context if you’re talking about 2 or 20 watches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
JBF1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 11:33 PM   #22
DoDe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBF1911 View Post
50% of what. That number has a much different context if you’re talking about 2 or 20 watches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Why ?
DoDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 11:34 PM   #23
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoDe View Post
Why ?
because 1 of 2 could be an anomaly where as 10 of 20 is a pattern. Statistics require a larger sample size to be relevant.
Old 18 December 2018, 11:46 PM   #24
DoDe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
because 1 of 2 could be an anomaly where as 10 of 20 is a pattern. Statistics require a larger sample size to be relevant.
I am pretty sure that 10 out of 20 Rolex watches going wrong still would be considered to be an anomaly. Anyway, I think the point here is that many people have experience the need for rapairs on their watches, and they are glad they had the the little plastic card. I think of it as a kind of insurance.
DoDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 11:52 PM   #25
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBD View Post
Warranty goes with the watch, regardless of card or receipt. As long as the watch is within the warranty period, Rolex has to fulfill the terms of the warranty, whether or not the card and/or receipt are present. It's much harder to prove the watch is under warranty without the card and receipt, but the warranty exists entirely independently of those things.
Actually, no. The warranty terms are quite specific and have helpfully been reproduced in a post earlier in this thread. Technically the card is required.

The guarantee is valid only if (1) the watch has been sold by an Official Rolex Retailer; (2) the guarantee card has been completed in full by the Official Rolex Retailer at the time of purchase; and (3) the guarantee card is presented with the watch, either to an Official Rolex Retailer or to an Official Rolex Service Centre.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 12:00 AM   #26
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
right but its a warranty from Rolex USA. Thats a different company than the company who issues my warranty. So Its kind of like wanting Apple to provide warranty work on a Samsung phone. Well maybe not quite, but you can see in that example they are different entities. So they can probably require whatever they want to require because they don't have to fix it if they don't want. They could say "send it to the UK to Switzerland or Germany or wherever" or "show me a receipt and we will fix it"

If you are providing the watch to the company who issued the warranty you should not have to provide a receipt as its not required or in the terms of the warranty.
Its not really the same though, because Rolex USA is owned by Rolex SA, and I would be shocked if Rolex USA did not not have a service agreement With Rolex SA, just like everywhere else.

When your Rolex receives warranty work in the UK it is The Rolex Watch Company (UK) Limited that does the work, not Rolex SA, notwithstanding that European warranties are provided by Rolex SA

And on top of all that, its an International warranty and Rolex states you can take your watch to any worldwide service centre irrespective of where you bought it

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 12:03 AM   #27
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Its not really the same though, because Rolex USA is owned by Rolex SA, and I would be shocked if Rolex USA did not not have a service agreement With Rolex SA, just like everywhere else.

When your Rolex receives warranty work in the UK it is The Rolex Watch Company (UK) Limited that does the work, not Rolex SA, notwithstanding that European warranties are provided by Rolex SA
its still Rolex SA who issues warranty though in Europe and Rolex UK doesnt issue warranties. Rolex USA is the only umbrella entity that issues their own AFAIK. It explains why Rolex USA wants other documents like a receipt if you try to get them to do a repair under warranty on a watch with a Rolex SA warranty as otherwise they shouldn't be able to ask for it as its not supposed to be required. RSC NY seems to care, RSC Dallas doesnt.
Old 19 December 2018, 12:11 AM   #28
Chilly Coconut
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
If the watch is from well known Grey Market areas, Rolex may indeed ask for an original receipt to ensure it was not purchased on the Gray Market.

Gray Market watches seldom have valid warranties.
Wow. This may come as a big surprise to the hundreds of members who purchase BNIB from the grey market sellers on TRF classifieds, thinking they are getting valid warranties.
Chilly Coconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 12:22 AM   #29
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfm22 View Post
I would say there is zero chance of getting a watch serviced under warranty period without said card

But what if you have card without original receipt of purchase ?

I was told by a local AD that Rolex is tightening up things and will not honor warranty without card & receipt. True / false ?

I’m quoting the OP to bring us back to the receipt question. From time to time we see these threads pop up and I believe they contain a grain of truth.

Someone, somewhere (I am sure) has been asked for a receipt - and most likely when presenting a watch at an AD to begin the free work under a warranty claim. AD’s do not have access to Rolex’s database of properly initiated warranty’s. So some may just ask for a receipt up front to save the effort of shipping a watch to the RSC would ultimately be declined for warranty repairs.

But I also believe the RSC will not ask for a receipt unless they have reason to question the watch’s pedigree. As time goes by we’ve seen sales processes change by order of HQ - for example, swiping the card at point of sale. So today, if the s/n doesn’t show a POS swipe, I could imagine the RSC would ask.

So there is zero chance of being asked if your AD knows you and your name appears on the warranty card they gave you at time of sale (or are holding for you). But there is an increased chance you’d be asked if your name doesn’t appear on the warranty card or you are unknown to the AD staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2018, 12:25 AM   #30
challer
"TRF" Member

There are blank warranty cards for sale on eBay. The card means little generally; it's Rolex records that matter most I expect.
challer is offline   Reply With Quote