The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 May 2016, 04:18 PM   #91
MP5
2024 Pledge Member

Starting off with threat of legal action usually ends up creating a very positive impression on a hard core watch forum full of potential customers. Cant wait to do business! Talk to you soon!
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2016, 09:08 PM   #92
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
You missed the OP's point completely. You should have already included this in your price quote instead of wasting his time.

You were in communication with the seller and able to ascertain all the information necessary to make an informed judgment about your costs for this watch. That estimate should have been in your initial quote.

People in your business should be very good at this type of estimation. Expecting us to believe you were taken surprise upon receipt of the watch is more than a little disingenuous.

This effort at damage control is a complete fail in my book. I have been a customer of Bob's in the past, but it would seem I should reconsider doing business with you after this BS response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRolex View Post
Greetings All

Sorry I am just seeing this now.

* Some of the allegations made against our company herein are wrongful, misleading and constitute an injurious falsehood for which we have the right to pursue a legal remedy at law.

First off, thank you to those who have provided some informative and supportive guidance here. It is very much appreciated. And thank you to the Rolex forums and its admin for maintaining the forums for all our benefit. It too is much appreciated.

It seems clear that the main issue here is the $475 deduction made to place the watch in top salable condition.

Watch: Ladies Rolex Stainless Date.

1. The watch needed a full service, polish and possibly a new crystal ( i did not see the watch personally ). It was also missing links: it is 16 years old +/- and has not been serviced in 6 years. We will not sell an older watch to a buyer that hasn’t been serviced in 6 years. All of our watches carry a 1 year warranty and our customers depend on us to deliver them a watch that will properly function for at least a few years after purchase.

2. We only use factory Rolex parts to service and restore our watches. As most of you know, those parts are much more expensive than generic “after market” parts.

3. $475 to service a 16 year old watch by a trusted, reputable Rolex service repair facility, with genuine factory parts is pretty reasonable. In fact it’s probably on the low side as it often costs more if it needs parts. Reputable repair shops, many of which are referenced on this forum, charge this much or more. Rolex would charge much more - possibly double.

4. Purchase estimates: We always quote our best up to price, not our worst, when providing purchase estimates. Some watches only need a polish, so in that case the deduction would be minimal.

5. We do not make a profit on repair costs. Our costs are reflected in a dollar for dollar adjustment. At the end of the day if all goes well, we hope to make a small profit.

Some of you who have had a used or a vintage Rolex watches serviced by Rolex or by a reputable repair shop know how expensive it can be. Often times in the thousands with respect to Rolex when it involves parts.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2016, 10:00 PM   #93
v6inspire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP5 View Post
Starting off with threat of legal action usually ends up creating a very positive impression on a hard core watch forum full of potential customers. Cant wait to do business! Talk to you soon!

I agree. Instead of threatening the OP with legal action, Bobs could be doing something to make things right.

Plus the communication between the seller and buyer was iffy. Im glad i never purchased anything from Bobs and never will.
v6inspire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2016, 10:59 PM   #94
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Greetings All

* Some of the allegations made against our company herein are wrongful, misleading and constitute an injurious falsehood for which we have the right to pursue a legal remedy at law.

First off, thank you to those who have provided some informative and supportive guidance here. It is very much appreciated. And thank you to the Rolex forums and its admin for maintaining the forums for all our benefit. It too is much appreciated.

It seems clear that the main issue here is the $475 deduction made to place the watch in top salable condition.

1. The watch needed a full service, polish and possibly a new crystal ( i did not see the watch personally ). It was also missing links: it is 16 years old +/- and has not been serviced in 6 years. We will not sell an older watch to a buyer that hasn’t been serviced in 6 years. All of our watches carry a 1 year warranty and our customers depend on us to deliver them a watch that will properly function for at least a few years after purchase.

2. We only use factory Rolex parts to service and restore our watches. As most of you know, those parts are much more expensive than generic “after market” parts.

3. $475 to service a 16 year old watch by a trusted, reputable Rolex service repair facility, with genuine factory parts is pretty reasonable. In fact it’s probably on the low side as it often costs more if it needs parts. Reputable repair shops, many of which are referenced on this forum, charge this much or more. Rolex would charge much more - possibly double.

4. Purchase estimates: We always quote our best up to price, not our worst, when providing purchase estimates. Some watches only need a polish, so in that case the deduction would be minimal.

5. We do not make a profit on repair costs. Our costs are reflected in a dollar for dollar adjustment. At the end of the day if all goes well, we hope to make a small profit.

Some of you who have had a used or a vintage Rolex watches serviced by Rolex or by a reputable repair shop know how expensive it can be. Often times in the thousands with respect to Rolex when it involves parts.
You would have been well advised to let this thread die. Your response and the threat of legal action, is a complete joke. Any consideration of me doing business with you, has gone out the door. I'm sure, that I'm not alone in this....
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2016, 11:33 PM   #95
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Greetings All

1.The watch needed a full service, polish and possibly a new crystal ( i did not see the watch personally ). It was also missing links: it is 16 years old +/- and has not been serviced in 6 years. We will not sell an older watch to a buyer that hasn’t been serviced in 6 years. All of our watches carry a 1 year warranty and our customers depend on us to deliver them a watch that will properly function for at least a few years after purchase.

2.We only use factory Rolex parts to service and restore our watches. As most of you know, those parts are much more expensive than generic “after market” parts.

3.$475 to service a 16 year old watch by a trusted, reputable Rolex service repair facility, with genuine factory parts is pretty reasonable. In fact it’s probably on the low side as it often costs more if it needs parts. Reputable repair shops, many of which are referenced on this forum, charge this much or more. Rolex would charge much more - possibly double.

4.Purchase estimates: We always quote our best up to price, not our worst, when providing purchase estimates. Some watches only need a polish, so in that case the deduction would be minimal.

5.We do not make a profit on repair costs. Our costs are reflected in a dollar for dollar adjustment. At the end of the day if all goes well, we hope to make a small profit.

I took the time to scan Bob's Watches website regarding such transactions.

I do not find the word "deduction" anywhere. Nor that sellers would incur the cost of polishing or other service costs.

The only carefully worded exception is if the watch isn't described accurately. And even then, IMHO, it is clever to the point of obfuscation. Using "exact price" after the estimate is done gives Bob's Watches the privilege of restating their buy price.

"Once you receive the estimate and agree with it we will send you a mailer box with tracking info for you to track the box as it is delivered to us. Within an hour of our receipt of the box we will give you our exact price on your watch, which, if you described the watch accurately to us should be around the estimate we gave you."

The prospective seller has the right of refusal and a free return. And that happened in this case so I would say fair dinkum.

All just my opinion - if Bob's Watches wanted a bit more transparency, adding a word or two about "less the cost of any required servicing" could set better expectations.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2016, 11:37 PM   #96
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
You would have been well advised to let this thread die. Your response and the threat of legal action, is a complete joke. Any consideration of me doing business with you, has gone out the door. I'm sure, that I'm not alone in this....
You are not alone.

16803. 214270. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2016, 11:38 PM   #97
never2late
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I wouldn't sell those people a Timex.
Tudor Black Bay Bronze, Tudor Pelagos, (Blue).
never2late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2016, 12:56 AM   #98
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
I wonder if it's just Bobswatches that has this practice of estimate then exact price or if other resellers/dealers have this business practice too i.e. this is industry practice
Old 23 May 2016, 01:01 AM   #99
Sublover2166
Banned

Watch: Ol'Bluesy & Hulk
Quote:
He is running nothing short of a glorified online pawn shop.
I would not do business with Bob's if they were the last place on Earth to buy or sell a used Rolex.
His strong arm tactics are comical at best.
Sublover2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2016, 01:08 AM   #100
kirksingleton
"TRF" Member

I completely understand their business model of buying low and selling high. It is unfortunate that you appear to be baited, sending in your watch only to get beat up on price when it arrives. I assume this is common practice in their shop. Most people would roll over at this point and give in as the watch is already sent in and they may just want to be done with the transaction. I personally will not use them on the buy side or sell side.
Ps- their email to the op was typical cya bs.
kirksingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2016, 01:46 AM   #101
v6inspire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Bob's Watches

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksingleton View Post
I completely understand their business model of buying low and selling high. It is unfortunate that you appear to be baited, sending in your watch only to get beat up on price when it arrives. I assume this is common practice in their shop. Most people would roll over at this point and give in as the watch is already sent in and they may just want to be done with the transaction. I personally will not use them on the buy side or sell side.
Ps- their email to the op was typical cya bs.

That is exactly what they expect you to do. And most people do end up selling their watches. Because, why not? item is already there and in some cases people Will take the money and roll with it.

@bobswatches
The worst thing you can do is threaten someone with legal action. On top of that you guys were stupid enough to revive this thread. And to think i was go8ng to buy something from you guys... Nope taking my business elsewhere.
v6inspire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2016, 04:42 AM   #102
jonathanwittlaw
"TRF" Member

I am a pre-law student here in the US. I have never owned a Rolex before but I love reading all about them here and soon plan to buy one. I love all the photos!

Please allow me to shed some light to this:
I think many of you have missed the real issue here: The $475 service repair cost does not seem to be out of line based on what I have read on the forums about how expensive repairs can be. Secondly, their site clearly states their sell process in black and white here: www.bobswatches.com/sell-form-terms-conditions.
It states that their estimates are for watches that arrive in no need of restoration and lists all the possible repairs that might be needed. It also states, “If you do not accept this final firm purchase offer, you are under no obligation to sell it. We are happy to return the watch to you. Your ultimate satisfaction is our goal”.

Also, I do NOT think they are threatening legal action here. They are just stating that some of the misrepresentations / comments here are defamatory ( scam, bait and switch, etc ) that are legally actionable. Someone can state their opinion about something but they cannot lie or defame someone. Therefore, in my opinion, there is no issue here with the original poster.

I might also add that in my world ( legal ), we see and study cases where there is actual financial damage. I see no damage done here to the original poster: he sent in his watch at $0 cost, he got the exact same watch back at $0 cost. To illustrate, what if he spent $200 shipping the watch at his sole expense? Or if his watch was never returned to him at all. Or, if the watch was not returned in its original condition.
jonathanwittlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2016, 05:03 AM   #103
FTX I
"TRF" Member

@bobswatches WOW
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2016, 06:15 AM   #104
michigan.watches
"TRF" Member

A new user opens a TRF account today and goes right to defending Bob's Watches. That's interesting. Don't get me wrong. I love Bob's Watches! I pick up the pieces with a lot of their angry customers and get the deal that they missed by reducing their offer.
michigan.watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2016, 06:35 AM   #105
southtexas
2024 Pledge Member

Bob's Watches

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post
I wonder if it's just Bobswatches that has this practice of estimate then exact price or if other resellers/dealers have this business practice too i.e. this is industry practice

I'm getting ready to find out. Crown and caliber received a watch of mine last week. As a result of this thread, I spoke at length to Crown's rep and sent 20+ photos. I'm expecting that my final offer is exactly the same as the estimate. Maybe I'll hear from tomorrow.

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2016, 08:51 AM   #106
Runfar
"TRF" Member

yikes BOB/PAUL- bad move man- should have kept quiet and let new threads take over- this forum has a strong buying presence and with amazing sellers and buyers in the sales section...you are taking a huge hit I imagine already- as you read this....
Runfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2016, 09:45 AM   #107
jvmartin
"TRF" Member

"4. Purchase estimates: We always quote our best up to price, not our worst, when providing purchase estimates. Some watches only need a polish, so in that case the deduction would be minimal."

So are you stating that no matter what there will always be a deduction (at very least a minimal deduction)??? That is what I ascertain from your statement as only a freshly polished or unworn watch will not need a polish to restore to like new condition.
jvmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2016, 09:58 AM   #108
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanwittlaw View Post
I am a pre-law student here in the US. I have never owned a Rolex before but I love reading all about them here and soon plan to buy one. I love all the photos!

I think many of you have missed the real issue here: The $475 service repair cost does not seem to be out of line based on what I have read on the forums about how expensive repairs can be. Secondly, their site clearly states their sell process in black and white here: www.bobswatches.com/sell-form-terms-conditions.
It states that their estimates are for watches that arrive in no need of restoration and lists all the possible repairs that might be needed. It also states, “If you do not accept this final firm purchase offer, you are under no obligation to sell it. We are happy to return the watch to you. Your ultimate satisfaction is our goal”.

Also, I do NOT think they are threatening legal action here. They are just stating that some of the misrepresentations / comments here are defamatory ( scam, bait and switch, etc ) that are legally actionable. Someone can state their opinion about something but they cannot lie or defame someone. Therefore, in my opinion, there is no issue here with the original poster.

I might also add that in my world ( legal ), we see and study cases where there is actual financial damage. I see no damage done here to the original poster: he sent in his watch at $0 cost, he got the exact same watch back at $0 cost. To illustrate, what if he spent $200 shipping the watch at his sole expense? Or if his watch was never returned to him at all. Or, if the watch was not returned in its original condition.
Change your major, you're not very good at it so far.....
Old 23 May 2016, 10:01 AM   #109
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:

Pre-law? Seriously? You know there is no such thing right?
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2016, 10:23 AM   #110
Danny83
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Quote:

Um are you Bobs watches too
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2016, 10:27 AM   #111
aiden33
Banned

I just paid over $700 to service my watch!! I was charged $240 just for the crystal. The $475 is pretty darn low. Sorry, just my humble opinion.
aiden33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2016, 11:18 AM   #112
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublover2166 View Post
He is running nothing short of a glorified online pawn shop.
I would not do business with Bob's if they were the last place on Earth to buy or sell a used Rolex.
His strong arm tactics are comical at best.
You are giving pawn shops a bad rap. Bob's is more like a used car dealer. You could pull the stickers off a new watch and it would need some "polishing" before they can sell it.

In context of their post here, it appears their practices are deceptive. Their website doesn't say anything about a watch always needing something done to it, or that your chances of getting what they offered are near zero.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2016, 11:49 AM   #113
Sublover2166
Banned

Watch: Ol'Bluesy & Hulk
Quote:
Change your major, you're not very good at it so far.....
So, could this be Paul Altieri's attorney? LOL
Funny how 2 new members have just popped out of thin air to breathe new life into this thread.
Not you Jason, the guy you quoted.
Sublover2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2016, 11:54 AM   #114
Gaijin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Bob or whatever your name is. Here's your shovel. Bury yourself worse or dig yourself out of this hole.

There is a grey here that has an amazing inventory. However twice I showed them a Rolex I wanted to sell. Great teaser payment price they offered me. Then a week or two later when I go to him ready to sell they pull out a bucket of lame reasons and then low ball me. Older clasp. The 3185 movement. Bracelet is a little loose, on and on. Huge lowball with lame reasons right after giving me a great quote. They lost me forever as well as any referral business.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2016, 11:58 AM   #115
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
You always do much better with a private sale. It's not unusual for some dealers to require a full service and then add the cost to a watch they purchase. However, that's a transaction I would not make.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2016, 12:54 PM   #116
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Bob's Watches

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMarcus View Post
You always do much better with a private sale.

That's true - I think Bob's, and pawnshops alike, realize most owners who want cash don't always have the time or experience to sell privately. The CL scare stories make that virtually unavailable - and lack of reputation on selling sites like eBay, TZ, Chrono24, etc. will limit bid prices.

So a fair buying service that matches the WTB's with the FS's would be the best avenue but I haven't seen that anywhere.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2016, 02:58 PM   #117
mpwatch
Banned

Watch: PAM 199
IMO - The Ladies are becoming a tougher sell. Maybe get the piece back in your hands and have the work done they have suggested then shoot for a private buyer!

- Cheers,

MP
mpwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2016, 11:02 PM   #118
never2late
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:

Thank you for your input Bob Jr.
Tudor Black Bay Bronze, Tudor Pelagos, (Blue).
never2late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2016, 11:25 PM   #119
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Interesting thread. I would not have considered doing business with Bob's before this thread and would never consider it after.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2016, 11:28 PM   #120
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublover2166 View Post
So, could this be Paul Altieri's attorney? LOL
Funny how 2 new members have just popped out of thin air to breathe new life into this thread.
Not you Jason, the guy you quoted.
Funny how that works....