The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 5 April 2018, 12:34 PM   #1
olc
"TRF" Member

AP Divers

Haven’t posted very much to this forum, but have been reading for a while. I bought a 15202 steel last year and am thinking about adding a diver. I have been looking at the white/blue boutique only dial that launched in 2017.

Apologies if this has been discussed at length before, but what is generally considered the taxonomy of desirable AP divers? The crazy colors from this year and last year seem too much to me. But what is considered the canonical example of a modern AP diver and how does something like the white/blue version fit in? Is the ceramic significantly better? Any thoughts appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
olc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2018, 12:49 PM   #2
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
For me, the best AP Diver to get is still the SS Diver in black dial. It's the original and till date the best looking one for me. It also matches well with many type of straps. This is followed closely by the black ceramic Diver ( discontinued ).

It's no secret that I utterly hate these new 2018 colored divers. They are ghastly, utter worthless crap. But that's just my opinion. End of the day, buy what you really like.
Old 5 April 2018, 01:41 PM   #3
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
The divers are among my favorite APs. My personal favorite is the FC diver, perfect combination of light weight, unique look/materials and durability. It’s been my most worn watch for 5+ years by far and looks perfect. Also love that it has the original carved dial vs the newer stamped ones and love FC since AP pioneered it in watch making.

That being said you can’t really go wrong with any of the divers except maybe the newest strange color options.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2018, 07:55 PM   #4
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Both of the divers above are great.

I personally went for the CE, which I really like. While it is discontinued, they come up for sale every 4-6 months or so.

HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2018, 10:38 PM   #5
christianj
Banned

I owned the original black dialed SS Diver. (which I tend to wear on the SS bracelet and not on the rubber strap) I do love the CE and would likely be very tempted to pick one up if I saw a good deal. Also not a fan of the new color variations but to each his/her own.
christianj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2018, 12:19 AM   #6
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post
The divers are among my favorite APs. My personal favorite is the FC diver, perfect combination of light weight, unique look/materials and durability. It’s been my most worn watch for 5+ years by far and looks perfect. Also love that it has the original carved dial vs the newer stamped ones and love FC since AP pioneered it in watch making.

That being said you can’t really go wrong with any of the divers except maybe the newest strange color options.
I love that look, what a fun watch!
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2018, 12:28 AM   #7
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
First off, I had to look up "canonical", lol, so thank you for teaching me a new word. I shoot with canon cameras so I thought for a second, maybe it meant photogenic haha.

Anyway, I don't think there is any one AP diver the epitomizes "classic" in the same way you'd categorize a 15202 or even a Rolex Submariner no date.

The watch doesn't really have much history.

IMO however, the color series of divers doesn't do it for me. If I had a ridiculous amount of disposable income, sure, I'd try one, but for most of us that have to be careful about these acquisitions, I can only justify owning one, and IMO this CE Diver is the best. It's not easy to find and it's not cheap, but it's totally worth the premium IMO.

Not only does it look great and wear extremely well, but the CE finish will keep it looking mint forever. So not only is it a watch that will inherently appreciate due to it's availability, but the value range should stay pretty consistent, since the only real points that show wear are relatively easily replaced.

Anyway, I know appreciation and demand should not be the most important thing when deciding on a watch, but I think it's a significant aspect to consider when making a big purchase.

I really do like the new boutique blue accent dial though! I think it's beautiful, however I didn't care much for the build and quality of the white dial when I owned it briefly and I suspect they will look similar. I'd personally follow my CE Diver with the 15710 Black Dial.

Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2018, 01:48 AM   #8
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
First off, I had to look up "canonical", lol, so thank you for teaching me a new word. I shoot with canon cameras so I thought for a second, maybe it meant photogenic haha.

Anyway, I don't think there is any one AP diver the epitomizes "classic" in the same way you'd categorize a 15202 or even a Rolex Submariner no date.

The watch doesn't really have much history.

IMO however, the color series of divers doesn't do it for me. If I had a ridiculous amount of disposable income, sure, I'd try one, but for most of us that have to be careful about these acquisitions, I can only justify owning one, and IMO this CE Diver is the best. It's not easy to find and it's not cheap, but it's totally worth the premium IMO.

Not only does it look great and wear extremely well, but the CE finish will keep it looking mint forever. So not only is it a watch that will inherently appreciate due to it's availability, but the value range should stay pretty consistent, since the only real points that show wear are relatively easily replaced.

Anyway, I know appreciation and demand should not be the most important thing when deciding on a watch, but I think it's a significant aspect to consider when making a big purchase.

I really do like the new boutique blue accent dial though! I think it's beautiful, however I didn't care much for the build and quality of the white dial when I owned it briefly and I suspect they will look similar. I'd personally follow my CE Diver with the 15710 Black Dial.

Nice pics
Old 6 April 2018, 03:44 AM   #9
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post

Traded mine back in -15. Still regret it.
Old 6 April 2018, 03:56 AM   #10
Andrés G
"TRF" Member

The original is still the best AP Diver. I regret selling mine, from time to time.
Andrés G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2018, 05:02 AM   #11
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Love the CE case so would get that Diver, until a buyable RO bracelet model emerges.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2018, 07:36 AM   #12
eal15
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet 15
I’d go for the black dialed as. I love the originally glossy disk but purchased the 15710 because I love the display back. I could spend the money on the 15707 ceramic and occasionally I wish I did. I like the fc as well. White isn’t for me and the colored ones aren’t crap, just not my taste! You can’t go wrong though. I find mine very durable overall and an absolute looker. I daily wore it for 2 years but after service Ing and a new AP strap I wear on weekends and special occasions and wear the Panerai daily.

eal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2018, 08:51 AM   #13
olc
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies.

olc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2018, 11:49 AM   #14
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Got to go with the original black Diver. Definitely on my list. The one following that is the CE Diver.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2018, 12:10 PM   #15
bluebeamer
"TRF" Member

i love the original black diver with the closed back because of the glossy black dial.
not really into the open back with the new matte black dial.
i'm looking for one in mint condition or BNIB
bluebeamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2018, 01:13 PM   #16
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
AP Divers

For me the 15703st was the best rendition. Proper dial and I just don’t favor the SS screws against the all black ceramic ce having owned it.

If I’m being honest they are all a bit too large for my 7” wrist.
Old 6 April 2018, 01:26 PM   #17
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
For me the 15703st was the best rendition. Proper dial and I just don’t favor the SS screws against the all black ceramic ce having owned it.

If I’m being honest they are all a bit too large for my 7” wrist.
Great point on the screws. Really feel that all the FC and CE ROOs should have Ti screws
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2018, 12:41 AM   #18
printrep
"TRF" Member

I had both the original black dial with solid caseback and then the white dial with the sapphire caseback. I regrettably sold both but will probably acquire another black dial. In the meantime I just picked up this boutique edition white dial with blue accents.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5666.jpg (215.3 KB, 522 views)
printrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2018, 03:15 AM   #19
Colin W
"TRF" Member

My only AP Diver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 8 April 2018, 06:34 AM   #20
tubojunk
"TRF" Member

My interest in the divers has risen recently as well. I am very new to AP so definitely still have a lot to learn. But can someone explain give me the different characteristics of the forged carbon over ceramic? I have read great things about both and people love both materials but why does the ceramic sell for slight premium while carbon seems to be discounted while I think it’s a harder material to work with and priced more than the ceramic to begin with? Is it just availability?
Rolex 126610LN
tubojunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2018, 06:43 AM   #21
eal15
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet 15
For one, the carbon is a few years older and the run was basically done when ceramic was introduce. The fc has the original dial production method and has a solid case back. There ceramic had the newer less desirable dial although it is more readable in all conditions and the display back with ceramic crowns as well. Tough choice!

eal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 01:10 PM   #22
Doctock
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I just traded 2 watches (Panerai 243 and GO Sport Evolution) + $ for an AP Diver with black face.
I had tried a Boutique white dial and it was gorgeous, and would love to see a Ceramic or Forged Carbon in real life as they are definitely on a personal high interest list based on pictures.
Doctock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 01:28 PM   #23
G'ed
"TRF" Member

Nice clean reference from AP. Had a white dial version however it's sold as the lume is terrible for a diver. Non existence. If you don't need or use the timing bezel regularly, black dial is a classic!
G'ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 02:03 AM   #24
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeamer View Post
i love the original black diver with the closed back because of the glossy black dial.
not really into the open back with the new matte black dial.
i'm looking for one in mint condition or BNIB

Not matte (technically still shiny) just doesn’t catch the light as much as the scribed dials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote