The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 June 2018, 01:01 PM   #1
TRACK01
"TRF" Member

SD43 vs Tudor Pepsi GMT vs Pelagos LHD

I'm planning to purchase my first luxury watch and I'm having a terrible time deciding on what I would be most satisfied with. I've got my name on a waiting list at my local AD for an SD43, but can't seem to get the aformentioned Tudors out of my head.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Neither the GMT nor Dive functions are really necessary for my lifestyle. I just like the aesthetics of these watches. I don't travel more than a few times per year and I have a desk job.
TRACK01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 01:40 PM   #2
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
The Tudor and the sd43 are at completely different price points.. maybe get a Tudor now and when you actually are called for the sd43, you can get that as well or by that time maybe you’ve made a decision as to which you prefer to have
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 01:43 PM   #3
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
IMO the SD43 is in a class of its own but it’s also more expensive, so up to you but my pick would be the Rolex.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 02:52 PM   #4
importstunna
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Rolex if you can get it in a decent time frame. Then Tudor GMT is next up for me. Good luck!
importstunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 03:07 PM   #5
omitohud
"TRF" Member

I’m probably gonna get a lot of flak for saying this, but Tudor is not a luxury brand. I love Tudor as a brand as I have many of its watches. But it’s not comparable to rolex.

Sd43 is a beautiful watch. It’s designed n built like a classic with modern clothes. If I don’t already own a red sub and a drsd, I would hunt one down. Of course if I encounter one at an AD, I’ll jump at the chance. I seriously think u will not regret owning one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
omitohud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 03:13 PM   #6
Sub King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by omitohud View Post
I’m probably gonna get a lot of flak for saying this, but Tudor is not a luxury brand. I love Tudor as a brand as I have many of its watches. But it’s not comparable to rolex.

Sd43 is a beautiful watch. It’s designed n built like a classic with modern clothes. If I don’t already own a red sub and a drsd, I would hunt one down. Of course if I encounter one at an AD, I’ll jump at the chance. I seriously think u will not regret owning one.

A brand selling $4k+ watches is not a luxury brand?

Sub King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 03:39 PM   #7
American Jedi
Banned

Watch: Rollie’s and JLC
I have the Pelagos and SD43. If I had to pick one it would be the 43; However, the Pelagos gets most of my wrist time. It’s very comfortable, and more practically suited for daily use.
American Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 04:16 PM   #8
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
I’ve got the GMT, but as a second watch in my case. If you want the Rolex, and it’s your first I’d hold out for that personally.

The fact you’ve got your name down tells me that’s the one you want so sit it out As ultimately the tudors may not scratch the itch fully.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 04:24 PM   #9
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Rolex and Tudor are not 'luxury brands' in the sense of the Big Three or Lange, but in a broader sense they absolutely are.

The price point of Tudor today is almost exactly the price point of Rolex a just a few years ago, adjusted for inflation.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 04:33 PM   #10
silk10
"TRF" Member

SD43. The wait will be worth it.

if you're going to purchase a Tudor in the meantime, personally would go for the Pepsi.

getting the LHD seems like a rebound of the SD43 and if you purchase LHD (not saying you shouldn't and by all means go for it), the SD43 has a similar colour scheme and might lose its appeal (especially if you're still waiting)
silk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 10:42 PM   #11
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Quote:

I guess the Rolex boutiques didn't get your memo. Please notify all the Rolex boutiques that keep the Tudor watches right next to the Rolex watches in their display cases that the Tudor watch brand is not a luxury brand (even though they charge luxury prices for them.) and they must stop selling them as such.
Whew! Glad we got this all cleared up before Tudor releases their new GMT.
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 11:13 PM   #12
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Hard to directly compare an $11,000 watch to a $4,000 watch. The SD43 is far and away the class of that group. However, you could buy the GMT AND the Pelagos for less $$$ than the SD43.

I have an SD43 and a Black Bay. Love both of them but the SD43 is just a much more special watch. You get what you pay for...
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2018, 11:51 PM   #13
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
The SD43 is one of the best watches made, IMO. That one is a must have.

So, I would snag one now and then down the road, get the Tudor GMT, which will also let the prices/availability cool off a bit...an added bonus. If you're still feeling the Pelagos love at that point, then I would get that one, too.

Sometimes a this or that question is really just a question of prioritizing and timing your purchases.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 12:30 AM   #14
Forman
Banned

I have a Tudor GMT on order, getting it next month and can't wait.
Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 12:33 AM   #15
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Being your first luxury piece, I'd say stay on the list for the SD43. Once you have that one you will never have to look back.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 12:50 AM   #16
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
The SD43 is one of the best watches made, IMO. That one is a must have.

So, I would snag one now and then down the road, get the Tudor GMT, which will also let the prices/availability cool off a bit...an added bonus. If you're still feeling the Pelagos love at that point, then I would get that one, too.

Sometimes a this or that question is really just a question of prioritizing and timing your purchases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrnic View Post
Being your first luxury piece, I'd say stay on the list for the SD43. Once you have that one you will never have to look back.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Get the SD43....
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 12:54 AM   #17
Abyss
"TRF" Member

im lucky enough to have both the SD43 and the new Tudor GMT. The SD43 is such a balanced piece, and as the guys have mentioned is a fab watch,

The Tudor GMT hasn't been off my wrist since buying it last week, the colour of the bezel and the over all feel of the watch is great, and at the price point of £2790 here in the uk, I think it is great value for money.

I can post photos later of them side by side if you wish?
Old 12 June 2018, 02:40 AM   #18
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub King View Post
A brand selling $4k+ watches is not a luxury brand?

Exactly my thoughts
Old 12 June 2018, 06:27 AM   #19
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
im lucky enough to have both the SD43 and the new Tudor GMT. The SD43 is such a balanced piece, and as the guys have mentioned is a fab watch,

The Tudor GMT hasn't been off my wrist since buying it last week, the colour of the bezel and the over all feel of the watch is great, and at the price point of £2790 here in the uk, I think it is great value for money.

I can post photos later of them side by side if you wish?
Yes please
Old 12 June 2018, 02:00 PM   #20
TRACK01
"TRF" Member

Posting pics of the SD43 would be great! I went to the AD today and held the LHD and an SD43 that just came in. The Pelagos felt cheap to me, but I think it was mostly due to it being so much lighter because of the titanium.

The AD said there are still 3 people in front of me on the list and that it may be another year until my name comes up.
Old 28 November 2018, 02:52 PM   #21
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

I wore my SD43 into my local AD tonight to try on a WG Daytona. My SD43 made the Daytona looks so small (spoiled it), so while I was there I happened to see a Tudor in the window.

So I asked if I could try on the blue one.

My reaction was WOW!!! What a great watch - in-house movement with advancements even over my 3235, terrific lume, anti-reflective coating on crystal, great GREAT blue dial/bezel, terrific clasp, and amazing comfort from the titanium lightness.

SS Oyster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2018, 04:08 PM   #22
LittleGothamDragon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
you can get both Tudors for less than cost of SD43
LittleGothamDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2018, 04:16 PM   #23
harvey
"TRF" Member

I have the SD43. But if was you I would try the LHD on first as its a great reference for that price point. One of my favourite Tudors. And it's a numbered edition, if that means anything to you.
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2018, 04:25 PM   #24
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
SD43 is definitely in a class different than the Tudors. If the Rolex name means something to you that is the one to get. For pure value, the Tudors win, imho.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2018, 05:00 PM   #25
bmclaurin
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K
This is an old thread, but since it’s been resurrected, wondering what the OP decided to get. I have both the SD43 and the Tudor Pepsi. Both fantastic watches, but the SD43 is simply in another league. Not even a fair comparison IMO.
bmclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2018, 08:57 PM   #26
jenson
Banned

I think you should wait on the SD43, you wont regret it cause that's on its own uniqueness and class.
jenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2018, 10:37 PM   #27
cvo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 117610LN 116610LN
I was debating with similar choices, I had the 116610ln sub date instead of the SD43. I ended up with the sub c.

I think you’ll eventually end up with a Rolex. There are aspects with Tudor that just can’t compete with Rolex.
cvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 11:44 AM   #28
TRACK01
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm still waiting for the SD43 to arrive. I was told by the AD sometime in 2019.

I'm really liking the Pelagos though. The lume is awesome and the watch just seems a little more low key. Which is nice when you travel all the time. I don't want to draw attention to myself.
Old 18 December 2018, 11:48 AM   #29
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum and I hope it arrives sooner than later
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 01:32 PM   #30
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Ok, I'm revising my answer.