The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 December 2018, 03:16 PM   #31
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Tudor makes terrific watches but 126600 is on another level.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 05:12 PM   #32
danwang0520
"TRF" Member

Watch: my signature
i would go for the SD43 and add tudor gmt
danwang0520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 06:29 PM   #33
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Ok, I'm revising my answer.

They're all must haves.

Carry on...

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 10:07 PM   #34
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
The Tudors and SD43 are in completely different leagues, and I have both. The SD43 is far and away the top of that group. The Tudor is something you add AFTER you have the SD
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2018, 02:57 PM   #35
TRACK01
"TRF" Member

What about the fact that I'll be getting the SD 43 with a MK 2 dial? Pretty disappointed its taken this long for my name to get to the top of the list. I'm pretty OCD and the fact that this watch will no longer be considered a true 50th anniversary really bothers me.
TRACK01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2018, 01:16 AM   #36
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRACK01 View Post
What about the fact that I'll be getting the SD 43 with a MK 2 dial? Pretty disappointed its taken this long for my name to get to the top of the list. I'm pretty OCD and the fact that this watch will no longer be considered a true 50th anniversary really bothers me.
Wouldn't change my opinion at all. I have both the GMT and the SD43 and love both of them. I think regardless of which of those two you get, you will eventually get the other. So if the GMT becomes available first, pick one up. But the SD is just a really special watch. The MK1 or 2 just don't make a lick of difference to me and would certainly not prevent me from buying an SD43 if it became available.

I would hold off on the Pelagos. Similar in size to the SD and just not nearly as special in my opinion.

samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2019, 11:12 PM   #37
TRACK01
"TRF" Member

Well I ended up with the Tudor GMT on a braclet. Still on a list for the SD43, but not sure about the size of these watches. I've got a 7 inch wrist and the Tudor likes to roll. Ive had the braclet sized twice and I can't quite get the fit right.
Old 10 March 2019, 12:49 AM   #38
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
Quote:
Well I ended up with the Tudor GMT on a braclet. Still on a list for the SD43, but not sure about the size of these watches. I've got a 7 inch wrist and the Tudor likes to roll. Ive had the braclet sized twice and I can't quite get the fit right.
I’m sorry to hear that. Honestly, if I were you I’d put it on a nice nato or leather strap and wear it that way. You might get a better fit and it’ll allow you to preserve the bracelet so you can sell it a bit easier when the SD43 is in.

To me, the most important aspect of a watch is comfort. If it’s not comfortable to wear then it should be moved on. Drives me nuts that Tudor doesn’t create their version of an easy link bracelet or incorporate the Pelagos clasp more.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 01:03 AM   #39
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Congratulations on the Tudor it's a great reference.

Did you have it sized at the AD?

As for the others... I also have a 7" wrist and got the perfect fit:

SD43 5 links at 12 and 4.5 at 6.
Pepsi one link removed from 6.

Pics for your reference

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 01:59 AM   #40
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

All three would make a really nice collection.
Old 10 March 2019, 05:14 AM   #41
Montremoi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvo View Post
There are aspects with Tudor that just can’t compete with Rolex.
Could you please name these aspects ?
Montremoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 06:17 AM   #42
storm66
"TRF" Member

Clearly the SD is a better watch but why did they put a cyclops on a seadweller!
Very hard to compare the watches evenly.I’ve a Blue heritage chrono and love it
Tudors are great value watches,I just hope they don’t get too expensive with Rolex Sports watches getting impossible to find direct from AD’s........
storm66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 06:32 AM   #43
bobby75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMN View Post
I’m sorry to hear that. Honestly, if I were you I’d put it on a nice nato or leather strap and wear it that way. You might get a better fit and it’ll allow you to preserve the bracelet so you can sell it a bit easier when the SD43 is in.

To me, the most important aspect of a watch is comfort. If it’s not comfortable to wear then it should be moved on. Drives me nuts that Tudor doesn’t create their version of an easy link bracelet or incorporate the Pelagos clasp more.
I have a Tudor GMT and have done just that. I tried it on the bracelet when I originally ordered it but when I put my name down I asked for it on the leather strap and got the bracelet extra and pretty much glad I did. I can never manage to get a bracelet on a watch to fit right and always end up getting a leather strap anyway. I find the leather strap the Tudor comes with very comfortable to wear and as you say, the bracelet is stored away should I need it.
bobby75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 06:53 AM   #44
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
The pelagos gets most wrist time tbh , my next purchase is a winder( for the sd) not a watch lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1808.jpeg (251.2 KB, 182 views)
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 06:59 AM   #45
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omitohud View Post
I’m probably gonna get a lot of flak for saying this, but Tudor is not a luxury brand. I love Tudor as a brand as I have many of its watches. But it’s not comparable to rolex.

Sd43 is a beautiful watch. It’s designed n built like a classic with modern clothes. If I don’t already own a red sub and a drsd, I would hunt one down. Of course if I encounter one at an AD, I’ll jump at the chance. I seriously think u will not regret owning one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huhhhh?
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 07:57 AM   #46
omitohud
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg1616 View Post
Huhhhh?

Answer me this. How long does it take to get an SD43 from the AD? And how long, or soon for that matter, can u get a Tudor GMT? SD give or take a year with no discount n probably require a secondary purchase of another watch, at almost 3 times the price of the Tudor no less. While the Tudor, at most 3 months, with good relationships with AD probably much less or no wait time at all. (Honestly, I have no interest in the gmt, so I didn’t bother to ask my AD, but I’m pretty sure they can get me one in no time.)

Ask yourself this question honestly, which one will retain its value in a few years time? There r quite a few Rolex model from recent years that has not only retain but increased in value, Batman, hulk, c-Daytona, to name a few. I don’t recall any recent Tudor model that can do that. Maybe there is one, but I don’t keep track. I would speculate after 3 years the Tudor gmt prices will start to drop.

Then if we are talking about branding, we all agree Rolex is above omega, breitling, Panerai, and so on. Would u really think that Tudor is even comparable or even in the same tier as those watches, much less Rolex? Why would Rolex create a secondary brand to compete with itself? Let’s b realistic here.

I rest my case.

PS. Don’t get me wrong the Tudor gmt is a very nice watch. If I don’t already own a few Rolex gmt Pepsi, I might be tempted. Cheers.

I blame it on autoconnect.
omitohud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 08:18 AM   #47
Montremoi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Answer me this.
So your definition of luxury is : difficult to source, holds its value, must be the only brand of a group.
Old 10 March 2019, 12:48 PM   #48
omitohud
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montremoi View Post
So your definition of luxury is : difficult to source, holds its value, must be the only brand of a group.

Nope. I was comparing the two brands. The general consensus is Rolex is luxury, but Tudor is not. It’s not even second or third or even fourth tier. Again many people just can’t accept the fact that Rolex created a cheaper version of its watches with Tudor.

The Tudor gmt is a carbon copy of the original Rolex gmt. Cmon.

Sorry to disappoint u.

I blame it on autoconnect.
omitohud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 07:33 PM   #49
Montremoi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nope. I was comparing the two brands.
But what is actually your definition of luxury ?

Quote:
The general consensus is Rolex is luxury, but Tudor is not.
The general consensus in your head, maybe. But certainly not on the forum.

Quote:
Rolex created a cheaper version of its watches with Tudor.
I don't think many people deny that. But what does it have to do with the matter at hand ?
Old 10 March 2019, 07:35 PM   #50
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m probably gonna get a lot of flak for saying this, but Tudor is not a luxury brand. I love Tudor as a brand as I have many of its watches. But it’s not comparable to rolex.

its a luxury brand. Its in a different tier

LV and Hermes are luxury. Not on the same level though or price point.

Using that logic Rolex isn't Luxury because Patek is a luxury brand.

No idea where you draw the line but when 60% of Americans have less than $1k in savings, a watch that costs 4X that can't be seen as anything else. Expensive, luxury, aspirational.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 07:14 AM   #51
Proteinshake86
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT MasterII
I have a GMT II and am thinking about getting the LHD as more of a "daily". I tend to be a little "rough" and sometimes get nervous wearing the rolex with its higher polish and all. Not sure what you will be doing with your watch, but if you think you'll be banging it around a lot, maybe go with the LHD?

Good luck!
Proteinshake86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 09:41 AM   #52
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
SD43 - its a totally different league. I have a THC but, its a fun watch, Tudor isn’t comparable in that company
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 09:47 AM   #53
SamP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680/8 & '88 16528
I have the former and latter, but not the Tudor Pepsi. I don’t like thick watches especially when there’s a thinner version available by it’s better heeled parent.
The SD43 is large, but captivates due to its slimmed down lugs.
The LHD is just great. Titanium, winder on the wrong side, cheeky faux patina it’s the modern day enfant terrible.
I love the way Tudor bring out all the things Rolex find a touch too far;
Titanium (Not just caseback)
PVD
Anti reflective coating
Power reserve
SamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2019, 10:42 AM   #54
TRACK01
"TRF" Member

Had the AD size the bracelet today and the third time was the charm. Nailed the size. Its very comfortable and does not role on my wrist anymore. Overall I'm very happy with it.
Old 13 March 2019, 11:19 AM   #55
TRACK01
"TRF" Member

Also, to those who say Tudor is the lesser brand compared to Rolex...I agree, and it should be at 1/3 the cost. That doesnt mean Tudor makes any less desirable watches in their own right. I want to own watches that I like and enjoy. I don't want to buy a watch based purely on its future value.
Old 13 March 2019, 01:51 PM   #56
Dannyanderson
Banned

Hope your SD43 arrives soon because that is the best choice. Good luck on the wait.
Dannyanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2020, 06:05 AM   #57
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
I'm planning to purchase my first luxury watch and I'm having a terrible time deciding on what I would be most satisfied with. I've got my name on a waiting list at my local AD for an SD43, but can't seem to get the aformentioned Tudors out of my head.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Neither the GMT nor Dive functions are really necessary for my lifestyle. I just like the aesthetics of these watches. I don't travel more than a few times per year and I have a desk job.

Wonder if OP SD43 arrived by now!

For those who own both the Tudor Pelagos and the Pepsi GMT, how do they compare on the wrist in terms of thickness and overall length (lug to lug size vertically)?
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote