The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 22 October 2018, 07:21 PM   #1
Yaz
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16710
Rolex 16520 discussion

Hi guys,

First I want to thank you a lot for you help and the noticeable knowledge shared here in the forum.
I am looking for documentation, reviews, personal feelings about one of the most beautiful watches around, the Rolex Daytona.
Not the last one but the Zenith Daytona, steel made, from '90 (frm 1988 to 2000).

I do not like very much the Cerachrom and prefer the vintage steel Daytona, especially from the '90.

I have several questions:
* first, I have found some interesting articles on the internet talking about this Zenith Daytona which reached the collectible status - do you think it is the case ?
* then a lot of discussion about the Patrizzi ones (defect or not, some are looking for it), N series, S series, T series and W series ? From 1993 only ? 1994 and 1996 also ? With or without inverted 6 ?
* finally, which dial Mk I or II with floating COSMOGRAPH ? Mark III with inverted 6 ?

I like the Steel 16520, Black dial version, but a little bit lost among the models...when checking chrono24, we got prices from 18k EUR to almost 50k EUR.

Look at this pictures, this is the one I wanted...
What do you think about that ?
Any feelings, toughs, knowledge will be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 07:39 PM   #2
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
More like pre-used when they are from the 90’s and basically have the design of today? :)

Hope you find a nice example.
Old 22 October 2018, 08:28 PM   #3
seamasterlux
"TRF" Member

Also interested to know more on this!
seamasterlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 10:41 PM   #4
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

as with any desirable Rolex, there are many variations in a small number of years, from dial text, to font and the magic Patrizzi. Firstly Patrizzi is a specific fault that turns the subdials anything from yellowy cream to brown. It certainly isn't a blanket description of a mid-90s black dial. When you see one you'll know. As for the rest, decide where your budget is. Buy the best you can afford, whereby all original and in good shape, unless you have a limitless budget, in which case full-set 4 liner!!

Good luck
Old 23 October 2018, 01:00 AM   #5
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Bezel looks like newer 116520 bezel. Can’t zoom in on the pics.
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 10:06 AM   #6
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Collectible? Prices in the recent few years would suggest so. We have begun to see a number of 16520 pop up at auction, and not just the Patrizzi (which has been an auction item for many years) and other dial viartions but also just the regular 16520.

In terms of which one you should shoot for, I think that depends on budget. Wherever that comes out you need to find the best (condition) and set (full) in your budget.

These are not rare watches, finding one won't be an issue.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 05:27 PM   #7
Vintage12
"TRF" Member

There are many variations of the 16520 starting with the “ROLEX” serials (they skipped the “O”). IMHO most desirable of all is the porcelain dial “R” series with “200” bezel, expect to be well north of 50K EUR for a complete set in good condition. Only in a white dial though and values start to compete with 6263/6265 (Tip – don’t start looking at these).

A nice “N” or “L” series, inverted 6, 225 bezel, brushed bracelet, Patrizzi would be a sweet watch & quite collectible. Can be pricey though, especially 4-liner or floating dials.

Otherwise, a great value watch would be the final run of “A” series if you don’t mind the PCL bracelet.

As stated, none are truly rare but all values seem to be appreciating for the retired SS Daytonas – rising tides etc. You may have come across this chart on the 16520 but this could help if not.

Couldn’t view your photos but looks nice from a distance. Condition and originality is key. Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daytona16520LifeCycle.jpg (82.0 KB, 931 views)
Vintage12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 09:02 PM   #8
Yaz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage12 View Post
There are many variations of the 16520 starting with the “ROLEX” serials (they skipped the “O”). IMHO most desirable of all is the porcelain dial “R” series with “200” bezel, expect to be well north of 50K EUR for a complete set in good condition. Only in a white dial though and values start to compete with 6263/6265 (Tip – don’t start looking at these).

A nice “N” or “L” series, inverted 6, 225 bezel, brushed bracelet, Patrizzi would be a sweet watch & quite collectible. Can be pricey though, especially 4-liner or floating dials.

Otherwise, a great value watch would be the final run of “A” series if you don’t mind the PCL bracelet.

As stated, none are truly rare but all values seem to be appreciating for the retired SS Daytonas – rising tides etc. You may have come across this chart on the 16520 but this could help if not.

Couldn’t view your photos but looks nice from a distance. Condition and originality is key. Good luck.
Thanks guys for your help.
Indeed, I've seen this table on the internet, and it seems that the watch I've seen and send in my previous post is from 93, a S Series, black dial, inverted 6.
Old 8 November 2018, 09:01 PM   #9
Yaz
"TRF" Member

Hi guys,

Me again. As I do not want to create excessive useless threads, I am updating this one.
I've found my baby !!!

Daytona 16520 S Series
Black Dial
Perfect condition with Box (original one)
And papers (certificate from Rolex Services Geneva [actually Bucherer] but from this year).

I have 2 questions:

- first, is that a certificate from now (instead of 1993) is legitimate ? I have no problem with papers as I am living in Switzerland, but if one day in the future (in 10 years! Ahahahahah) I decide maybe to sell the watch, is that can be seen as "original ones" ?

- then, the Oyster Bracelet is not the original one (78390A instead of 78390).
Do you think it lower the price or it does not really matter (or impact) ?

Thank you for your help.
Old 8 November 2018, 10:10 PM   #10
1665fan
"TRF" Member

You have service papers not the original certificate it sounds like. They are good but not as nice as the original punched or stamped papers. It will affect the value when compared to a watch with all the goodies...I’d say eventually the never polished 16520 will be the best investment. The bracelet I am not to sure about but hardcore collectors want the original bracelets also.
Old 8 November 2018, 11:01 PM   #11
Yaz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
You have service papers not the original certificate it sounds like. They are good but not as nice as the original punched or stamped papers. It will affect the value when compared to a watch with all the goodies...I’d say eventually the never polished 16520 will be the best investment. The bracelet I am not to sure about but hardcore collectors want the original bracelets also.
Thanks.
This is what I mean, no original papers but certificate from Rolex (no AD but Rolex Geneva). I thought that it will add more value than classic certificate from elsewhere...
Old 9 November 2018, 01:48 AM   #12
Gina Marie
"TRF" Member

Yazoo, the more items that are with the watch that it was born with the better. Original cert is key. Service papers, while nice, dont do much but dont hurt. Original bracelet is also nice and a replacement will haircut you by a few hundred.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Gina Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2018, 01:55 AM   #13
Yaz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina Marie View Post
Yazoo, the more items that are with the watch that it was born with the better. Original cert is key. Service papers, while nice, dont do much but dont hurt. Original bracelet is also nice and a replacement will haircut you by a few hundred.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Thanks for your help !
Old 18 December 2018, 09:14 AM   #14
Banana Split
"TRF" Member

My daytona 16520:

L serial, 4 line dial, 225 bezel...a real beauty :)
Banana Split is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 02:20 PM   #15
Willygallardo
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP's - Rolex
Any 16520 is a good investment go for it
Willygallardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 01:47 AM   #16
PhilK
"TRF" Member

Rolex 16520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willygallardo View Post
Any 16520 is a good investment go for it
I bought mine 6 years ago..... New Old Stock..... I would not be able to afford it now so, yes, a very good investment!
PhilK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 12:29 PM   #17
koryong
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 1675
Mine is a T-serial, the most common "plain Jane" variant, but am still loving it :-)
koryong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 08:42 PM   #18
Frakis
2024 Pledge Member

Rolex 16520 discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage12 View Post

This chart was very helpful. Thank you for sharing. Any updated thoughts on the 16520 after 1 year?
Old 9 March 2020, 12:14 PM   #19
mondo74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frakis View Post
This chart was very helpful. Thank you for sharing. Any updated thoughts on the 16520 after 1 year?
I like the "not rare" statement. Wonder how many exist then?

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk
mondo74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2020, 12:42 PM   #20
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo74 View Post
I like the "not rare" statement. Wonder how many exist then?

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk
The chart is outdated and incorrect in a few areas. I'm creating a new table.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=719976
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2020, 08:10 PM   #21
edhahn44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frakis View Post
Is there also a consistent view till what N series the inverted 6 dial was used?
On HQ Milton I can only find N1X-N3X with inverted dials; N4X plus come with normal 6 dials. I'm currently looking at a N439xx which has an inverted dial, hence I'm a bit confused.
edhahn44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2020, 09:02 PM   #22
1665fan
"TRF" Member

All N serials had inverted 6 dials....
Old 11 March 2020, 09:07 PM   #23
edhahn44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
All N serials had inverted 6 dials....
Apparently not:
https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/...hite-dial-3207
Old 11 March 2020, 09:15 PM   #24
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Says excellent white dial.....never original dial....I have 3 N serials all inverted... the dial changed to non inverted in the S serial range....I also have an all original never polished full set early S serial inverted 6.....
Old 11 March 2020, 09:56 PM   #25
edhahn44
"TRF" Member

Thanks. Very helpful.
Old 22 March 2020, 10:04 AM   #26
MAINEZX10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Says excellent white dial.....never original dial....I have 3 N serials all inverted... the dial changed to non inverted in the S serial range....I also have an all original never polished full set early S serial inverted 6.....
Please post pics
MAINEZX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2022, 11:49 AM   #27
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
16520 info