The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 December 2018, 07:18 AM   #1
DuchessofWinward
"TRF" Member

Dropped Rolex President 279138 Datejust 28mm on Tile Floor

I dropped my Rolex President Watch on my home tile floor. I brought it to an AD in my area who sent it to Rolex Dallas Offices . I am being told the repairs are upwards of $9,000 USD!

The the crystal is shattered (I knew this)
The bezel needs to be replaced
The case is dented

How can this be????!!!!

ROLEX site states:
Rolex watches have to pass more than 20 different drop tests before their launch. The most severe homologation test is the bélier, tellingly named after the ram. This exclusive shock-testing equipment submits the watch to an impact equivalent to 5,000 G – hundreds of times more than a car crash test. Yet the watch has to remain unharmed and fully functional afterwards, maintaining the highest real-life standards of accuracy and appearance befitting of a Rolex.

What kind of drop tests do they really do?
This seems like the watch is not rugged at all!
Can this be true? Any help and advice would be appreciated.....
DuchessofWinward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 07:21 AM   #2
AK DeepSea
Banned

Yeah it’s true.
AK DeepSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 07:24 AM   #3
2024 Pledge Member

How can this be? Well, you dropped a $40k watch on the floor. Mass and gravity are inescapable.

Any help and advice should include insuring your watches through a Personal Articles Floater or independent insurer such as Jeweler's Mutual. Accidents do happen, as you've discovered.

Welcome to TRF!
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 07:24 AM   #4
ferrissteve11
"TRF" Member

Am guessing that price is largely due to the cost of the case as its Gold.
ferrissteve11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 07:25 AM   #5
Lumberjact
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchessofWinward View Post
I dropped my Rolex President Watch on my home tile floor. I brought it to an AD in my area who sent it to Rolex Dallas Offices . I am being told the repairs are upwards of $9,000 USD!

The case is dented

How can this be????!!!!

ROLEX site states:
Rolex watches have to pass more than 20 different drop tests before their launch. The most severe homologation test is the bélier, tellingly named after the ram. This exclusive shock-testing equipment submits the watch to an impact equivalent to 5,000 G – hundreds of times more than a car crash test. Yet the watch has to remain unharmed and fully functional afterwards, maintaining the highest real-life standards of accuracy and appearance befitting of a Rolex.

Sorry for your experience. I guess drop tests are one thing, but it’s ultimately about the rate of deceleration. Nothing achieves that like a tile floor, unfortunately. Having said that, I’m rather surprised at the quotation you received for repairs: one wonders how it could possibly cost that much.

Best of luck.

"Onto his wrist he slipped his steel Rolex Oyster Perpetual, the 34mm model, the date window its only complication; Bond did not need to know the phases of the moon or the exact moment of high tide at Southampton. And he suspected very few people did."
Lumberjact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 07:28 AM   #6
Rocket launcher
Banned

As far as I am concerned this did not happen without photos...
Well done on your first post
Some threads need photos this is one of them
Rocket launcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 07:28 AM   #7
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjact View Post
Sorry for your experience. I guess drop tests are one thing, but it’s ultimately about the rate of deceleration. Nothing achieves that like a tile floor, unfortunately. Having said that, I’m rather surprised at the quotation you received for repairs: one wonders how it could possibly cost that much.

Best of luck.

i think the cost is high because the bezel is a diamond bezel
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 07:48 AM   #8
watchfan0529
"TRF" Member

That's why many people stick to stainless steel..it's tougher, cheaper, and watch companies charge exorbitant prices for precious metal which is completely disproportionate to the price of raw material..
watchfan0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 07:57 AM   #9
Brew
"TRF" Member

Hi, and welcome. Sorry for your accident. A few bucks more for insurance, and you won't have to worry about such incidents. Good luck!
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 08:09 AM   #10
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

Ask them if you can do without the case and bezel replacement. Easier to live with a ding on the case and bezel than to shell out so much money.
Old 16 December 2018, 08:10 AM   #11
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchfan0529 View Post
That's why many people stick to stainless steel..it's tougher, cheaper, and watch companies charge exorbitant prices for precious metal which is completely disproportionate to the price of raw material..
Many people do wear gold watches. Myself included. Do a search here for all the SS watches that have been dropped on tile floors. The power of gravity combined with the hardness of tile can wreck any Rolex watch, regardless of metal!
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 08:14 AM   #12
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Time to go full carpeting....

Sorry for the damage. Maybe some things (like replacing the dented case) aren’t mandatory?

Good luck.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 08:15 AM   #13
Ballzzz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket launcher View Post
As far as I am concerned this did not happen without photos...
Well done on your first post
Some threads need photos this is one of them
Touché
Old 16 December 2018, 08:16 AM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Sorry to hear this happened and I hope of comes back good as new.

Tile floor is one of Rolex worst enemies.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 08:18 AM   #15
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
Gold case + gold bezel (w/diamonds) + potential movement work + refinishing + new crystal...

$9k sounds about right, if not even a bit less than I'd expect. Sorry to hear. As others have mentioned, insurance is an option going forward...
TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 08:19 AM   #16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchfan0529 View Post
No, that's why many people stick to insurance. Materials and embellishment of an automatic watch then become irrelevant.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 08:33 AM   #17
Fencer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Sorry to hear this happened and I hope of comes back good as new.

Tile floor is one of Rolex worst enemies.
I constantly train my wife not to handle watches over tiled floor - only over soft surfaces. I apply the same rule to myself.
Fencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 08:54 AM   #18
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Drop test for shock resistance is one thing, like for example you slam open a door. That is a crash for the watch, but on your wrist. Also, if the watch were transported in say your bag which gets put here and there, maybe thrown, the watch will keep perfect time. And if you did drop it on a wooden/carpeted floor as happened to my Deepsea, it would likely be perfectly fine.

Dropping it on tile, granite or concrete is not the "Rolex Way". Sorry for your accident but you can't be serious to think because you were (maybe a bit careless) that the watch is not rugged at all.
Consider this, if you own a diamond engagement ring, a diamond being the hardest substance around in our daily lives...and your friend asked to see it (not that this would happen, but in theory), would you throw it across the room at her hoping she caught it?

A Rolex nor any luxury watch of any kind is meant to survive falls on tile, granite or concrete, although some have, it is not what they are meant for and not what Rolex is referring to in their tests. Hope it was insured and I'm sure a lesson has been learned.
A G-Shock would have survived that fall with flying colors.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 09:05 AM   #19
Fencer
"TRF" Member

As others have indicated, drop test, and IMPACT test are two totally different things.

In case of the gold case it is its softness, combined with its high mass, that makes room for potentially serious damage.

Ironically, in case of sapphire it is its hardness that makes it prone to shattering.
Fencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 09:10 AM   #20
DuchessofWinward
"TRF" Member

Quick update:
1. I am new to this forum, and will not be posting photos of the watch.
2. Yes I have it insured. I am very reluctant to post a claim.
3. Again, given the claims on Rolex's website that there are drop tests and it can resist the force of 5000G's what type of Drop tests are they doing? This watch fell 2.5-3 ft not 500 ft.
4. I have been told it failed the pressure test. If I chose not to replace the bezel, and it does not pass the pressure test...what next?
5. I have similar "high end" watches, NONE are this fragile....are there other "cautions" that more experienced ROLEX owners can recommend?

FINALLY-Thank you for your answers-most are very helpful. Duchie
Old 16 December 2018, 09:34 AM   #21
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:

The case is dented

How can this be????!!!!

ROLEX site states:

It's terrible
Just terrible isn't it?

I reckon you won't do that again?
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 10:06 AM   #22
Ar_Mi
"TRF" Member

Watch: a few
Quote:

The case is dented

How can this be????!!!!

ROLEX site states:

Firstly welcome to TRF
Sorry to hear what happened to your watch. But don't be so hard on yourself, Accidents happen.
I know you are shocked to see the estimate of repairs Rolex has given you, being that your watch is precious metal and the case was dented along with bezel and crystal sapphire changes it requires, it makes sense.. there might also be some damage to the movement.
My question is this! When did you purchase your watch? And if its been in the last year or two, was it with a credit card? some credit cards cover certain amount of damage to the goods you purchase with them.. amex does to an extent for example..
Also share some pics with us if you have any, just so we could understand the extent of the damages a bit more? I dont get what being new on the forum has to do with not wanting to post the watch pics..
Ar_Mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 10:32 AM   #23
Brazicano
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710blnr
It sounds like being a gold case it had enough damage to bend part of the case so that it will no longer pass a pressure test. If it was repaired without a new case and bezel, moisture could get in at any time and ruin the watch again. At $9k they are probably giving some kind of price break...
Brazicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 10:37 AM   #24
Reddy_Kilowatt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16220 & 216570
I'm stunned that the OP is surprised the watch is damaged, and I'm just as stunned that anyone is surprised by the repair estimate. I would discuss the potential claim with my insurer. I'm not here (just) for the snarky comments... I had a similar accident with a much less expensive watch. It was horrible to see, but Rolex repaired it like new (a horror for those that love originality) and my insurer covered it without blinking. I'm not sure why one wouldn't submit a claim for such a large bill unless the insurer is dodgy. Good luck, OP.
Reddy_Kilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 10:43 AM   #25
DuchessofWinward
"TRF" Member

No its a well known National Insurer, that I have all my accounts with. I just HATE to post any kind of claim given the track record of insurance companies increasing rates.
Old 16 December 2018, 10:46 AM   #26
Reddy_Kilowatt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16220 & 216570
Quote:
No its a well known National Insurer, that I have all my accounts with. I just HATE to post any kind of claim given the track record of insurance companies increasing rates.
My advice is worth what you paid for it, but my insurer didn't bat an eye for a $1500 claim.
Reddy_Kilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 10:47 AM   #27
DuchessofWinward
"TRF" Member

And I am shocked by the amount of damage. I get the sapphire breaking. I don't get that the bezel and case are damaged. I have other 18kt diamond watches, I have dropped them on tile flooring..NONE have had this amount of damage and this high of a repair bill.
Old 16 December 2018, 10:47 AM   #28
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
I have similar "high end" watches, NONE are this fragile....
Just how many high-end watches have you dropped on tile floors?

Welcome to the forum.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 10:49 AM   #29
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:

The case is dented

How can this be????!!!!

ROLEX site states:

First, very sorry to hear about your watch. That being said, it's rather ridiculous for you to think a watch shouldn't break when dropped on a tile floor. The tests that you quote are for the movement and I'm sure your movement is working just fine (assuming you didn't let it continue to run with broken crystal on the dial). Also, Rolex doesn't make magic gold. Gold is soft, always has been. There is also a difference between force in pressure and force hitting a hard surface.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 10:50 AM   #30
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Yes rate will be raised....they will get there 9k back, sorry to hear about your accident
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote