The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 27 August 2017, 12:58 AM   #1
NYCJW
"TRF" Member

My First Omega Speedmaster - Soyuz / Speediorite or Alaska Project?

Hi All,

This is my first post and I'm relatively new to the forums (though I have been on here reading all the wonderful information that members post). Up until this year I have mostly appreciated nuce watches but never had the itch to purchase any. My everyday wear watch was a "Swatch Bunnysutra STGK101" and it had a good run but then the watch bug bit. My first purchase towards the beginning of this year was the Omega James Bond LE Sea Master - 212.30.41.20.01.001 (full set with complete box and papers). Loved this watch as a daily wearer but then I thought to myself I need something for more formal occasions so next I picked up 2 Omega Aqua Terra's (1 black dial and 1 white dial - The AD was very convincing). Then while lurking on the forums here I came across the Omega Planet Ocean LiquidMetal Limited Edition - 222.30.42.20.01.001 and managed to purchase a complete boxed set. As most of you can tell by now, I love Omega's and I feel that my little Omega collection would not be complete without a iconic Speedmaster in the mix.

Long story short, after countless hours of on and off research + a lot of picture browsing, I have narrowed it down to two speedmaster models that really call out to me.

1. Omega Speedmater Apollo - Soyuz 35th Anniversary Limited Edition (Speediorite) - 311.30.42.30.99.001

2. Omega Speedmaster Alaska Project Limited Edition - 311.32.42.30.04.001

I hope other members here could share their opinions (or experiences if you own or previously owned either speedmaster). Also, what are the chances that I would be able to find a BNIB or LNIB set with box and papers given that these are older limited edition models (A bit OCD about having complete sets - don't ask me why).

Thank you all in advance for sharing and your input. If anyone has any other recommendations or advice, please feel free to share. I love to listen and learn.

P.S. Of course if anyone has either one of the speedmasters that they would like to part with, please PM me or let me know !!!
NYCJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2017, 02:18 AM   #2
SearChart
TechXpert

I always liked the Alaska project, which is the one I would choose.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2017, 04:52 AM   #3
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I'm the opposite, I dig the Soyuz far more with the unique dial..my only complaint with it would be the sapphire crystal.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2017, 09:56 AM   #4
Bushido
"TRF" Member

Very good condition examples of both watches pop up from time to time for sale. I think the likelihood of NOS/BNIB is slim. However, complete sets in great condition for sale show themselves periodically.
Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2017, 12:44 PM   #5
DLRIDES
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCJW View Post
Hi All,

This is my first post and I'm relatively new to the forums (though I have been on here reading all the wonderful information that members post). Up until this year I have mostly appreciated nuce watches but never had the itch to purchase any. My everyday wear watch was a "Swatch Bunnysutra STGK101" and it had a good run but then the watch bug bit. My first purchase towards the beginning of this year was the Omega James Bond LE Sea Master - 212.30.41.20.01.001 (full set with complete box and papers). Loved this watch as a daily wearer but then I thought to myself I need something for more formal occasions so next I picked up 2 Omega Aqua Terra's (1 black dial and 1 white dial - The AD was very convincing). Then while lurking on the forums here I came across the Omega Planet Ocean LiquidMetal Limited Edition - 222.30.42.20.01.001 and managed to purchase a complete boxed set. As most of you can tell by now, I love Omega's and I feel that my little Omega collection would not be complete without a iconic Speedmaster in the mix.
Long story short, after countless hours of on and off research + a lot of picture browsing, I have narrowed it down to two speedmaster models that really call out to me.

1. Omega Speedmater Apollo - Soyuz 35th Anniversary Limited Edition (Speediorite) - 311.30.42.30.99.001

2. Omega Speedmaster Alaska Project Limited Edition - 311.32.42.30.04.001

I hope other members here could share their opinions (or experiences if you own or previously owned either speedmaster). Also, what are the chances that I would be able to find a BNIB or LNIB set with box and papers given that these are older limited edition models (A bit OCD about having complete sets - don't ask me why).

Thank you all in advance for sharing and your input. If anyone has any other recommendations or advice, please feel free to share. I love to listen and learn.

P.S. Of course if anyone has either one of the speedmasters that they would like to part with, please PM me or let me know !!!

The two listed does not meet your specification.

Old 5 September 2017, 02:27 PM   #6
vladi123456
"TRF" Member

I was able to find a BNIB Apollo - Soyuz just a few months ago. There were several for sale at the time, so there's hope. And I only forgot to wind mine twice so far - much better than expected!
vladi123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 08:04 PM   #7
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
I really like my Apollo - Soyuz.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2017, 06:56 AM   #8
stockae92
"TRF" Member

i would do Omega Speedmaster Alaska Project

if you don't go for it, hook me up :D