The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 16 March 2017, 03:21 PM   #1
Josemamel
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-IIc
Icon5 5711 through Grey Dealer

Hello wonderful people of TRF,

Just wanted to find out some information regarding purchasing a 5711 through a grey dealer. A close family friend that has a Patek collection reaching the 8 figure mark has been attempting to get ahold of a 5711 through his AD. He has not been very successful. I find myself coming to the conclusion that I will have to pay the premium and obtain the watch through the grey market. I am curious to know if there would be any issues regarding the name in the Certificate of Origin not equaling mine and any warranty coverage.

Thank You !
Josemamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2017, 04:07 PM   #2
martinr
"TRF" Member

Depends on who you talk to! Seriously, there is a long thread on this very subject in the Patek sub forum.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2017, 07:15 PM   #3
KarlS
Banned

Lots of threads on this and they appear to be a dime a dozen in USA
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2017, 11:01 PM   #4
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
If your friend has an 8 figure Patek collection he should just write Larry at HSWA and tell him he wants to fill out his collection with a 5711. I'm sure they will point him in the write direction.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 02:27 AM   #5
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

If your family friend has a Patek collection totaling high 7 figures, he probably would have been offered one of the Nautilus 40th Anniversary watches, unless he purchased all his watches on the secondary market.

You can call ADs and add your name to the wait list for a new one or pay a few thousand more to get one pre-owned. For most people, the name on the Certificate doesn't matter unless you want to pass it down to your heirs.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 03:20 AM   #6
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

8 figures? 8 pieces or a collection worth 8 figures? Anyway, a 5711 is hard to come by.
SpeedyTuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 08:43 AM   #7
sarey
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5712g-001
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyTuomas View Post
8 figures? 8 pieces or a collection worth 8 figures? Anyway, a 5711 is hard to come by.
Very true...
Patek Philippe 5712g-001
Breitling Emergency
sarey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 10:10 AM   #8
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josemamel View Post
Hello wonderful people of TRF,

Just wanted to find out some information regarding purchasing a 5711 through a grey dealer. A close family friend that has a Patek collection reaching the 8 figure mark has been attempting to get ahold of a 5711 through his AD. He has not been very successful. I find myself coming to the conclusion that I will have to pay the premium and obtain the watch through the grey market. I am curious to know if there would be any issues regarding the name in the Certificate of Origin not equaling mine and any warranty coverage.

Thank You !
So your friend has an 8 figure watch collection, He could buy the 5711 BNIB with the premium, then put his name on an AD waiting list, so he could get a 5711 with his name on the papers within a year or two. Seeing as money is no object.

Many ADs that sell Patek offer the 5711 in a variety of methods, 1st is your a premium customer, purchase tens if not hundreds of thousands worth of merchandise in a given year. Two you go on the waiting list, average Patek AD gets two 5711/1A blue dials a year. (Many people choose this because it doesn't involve forking over money.) Three AD will have a pre purchase deposit list, you put down a range between $5-10k to guarantee a delivery date within a year or so. That's the only way your friend is going to find a 5711 at the AD with his name on the papers.
Defiancekofb is offline   Reply With Quote