The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 9 April 2016, 01:27 AM   #1
martinr
"TRF" Member

PP deployant vs pin buckle

Deployant or pin buckle, which do you prefer and why? I'm about to pick up a new watch (pictures next week) and it's platinum with a pin buckle and I'm considering converting to a deployant. Due to cost concerns Tracy the strap lady at H. Stern suggested white gold which makes sense, it's 2K cheaper.

I've heard the deployant is more secure when taking the watch on and off and the pin buckle is more secure in terms of the watch staying on the wrist and not falling off inadvertently. Is this correct? I've owned the 5205 with pin buckle and it seemed to pull the watch to one side of my wrist. I've tried on a 5960 with deployant and the fit was perfect, the shape of my wrist seems to be ok with the deployant and from what I've read that is sometimes a problem. Thanks in advance for your answers.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2016, 02:00 AM   #2
RUK
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,Daytona,P
Good question. I find the deployant is safe when your putting it on or taking it off as it wont slip off and fall on the floor. I usually do this over the bed or something soft just in case! The only negative of the deployant is the cost : Not easy to recover the cost of the deployant when selling/trading in.
Old 9 April 2016, 02:05 AM   #3
Samui
Banned

I would get the deployant. But not WG if the watch is pt. The watch wouldnt be complete with wg and will be unbalanced since pt is heavier. Dont go wg with deployant.
Samui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2016, 02:19 AM   #4
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I find the Calatrava deployant absolutely beautiful, so I would definitely go with that. It is safer to put on too, as the watch stays around your wrist if one of the ends of the strap slip out of your fingers.

As for getting it in wg, seems like a good alternative. Although, it's safe to say, I imagine those extra 2k would represent a very small percentage of the cost of the watch, so maybe worth the extra effort to go for the platinum deployant.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2016, 02:21 AM   #5
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samui View Post
I would get the deployant. But not WG if the watch is pt. The watch wouldnt be complete with wg and will be unbalanced since pt is heavier. Dont go wg with deployant.

+1

Looking forward to the incoming! 🍻🍻
Old 9 April 2016, 02:26 AM   #6
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samui View Post
Thanks but I don't see how adding the deployment would make it unbalanced as the pin buckle it comes with even in platinum weighs less than the WG deployant. As far as appearance the only visible part would be the Calatrava cross and that's under my wrist and hardly noticeable. My real concern is how secure the watch is on my wrist.
Old 9 April 2016, 02:39 AM   #7
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Each have their pros and cons.
Deployant definitely increases your chance of it not slipping out of your hands and crashing to the floor when you are about to put it on or take it off.

Did you ever see a magician take off a guys watch during a hand shake?
I'm not saying I'm concerned about this in the wild but If it uses a pin buckle they make it seem incredibly easy:)
Old 9 April 2016, 02:55 AM   #8
jc-watch
"TRF" Member

Watch: need moar!
Changed out the tang for a deployment on my 5905p as that is a heavy lunk of a watch and it seemed way to easy to drop. Also changed out the strap as the holes for the tang were too small for the clasp, and I did not want to enlarge them.

Looking forward to pics!
jc-watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2016, 03:11 AM   #9
WatchExpoNewport
"TRF" Member

Please note that the strap lengths are different for pin buckle and deployant clasps. The strap may not fit properly on the wrist with the deployant on a pin buckle length strap. You could reverse the deployant for a better fit.

Nick
WatchExpoNewport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2016, 03:45 AM   #10
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I have one of the wrists where deployants usually don't work - I prefer pin buckles. 6.5 here.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2016, 03:49 AM   #11
texex91
"TRF" Member

Looking forward to this one Martin--congrats in advance
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2016, 05:59 AM   #12
DK3
"TRF" Member

I prefer to use a pin buckle on all of my watches. I recently dropped my 5960p on the floor while trying to put it on. It feel to to a concrete floor and after $4500 to replace the crystal, dial, hands, a complete overhaul, and 8 months later I finally have it back. If you use a pin buckle please be careful and put your watch on over something safe.

I prefer the pin buckle due to comfort when I am typing throughout the day.
DK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2016, 06:01 AM   #13
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK3 View Post
I prefer to use a pin buckle on all of my watches. I recently dropped my 5960p on the floor while trying to put it on. It feel to to a concrete floor and after $4500 to replace the crystal, dial, hands, a complete overhaul, and 8 months later I finally have it back. If you use a pin buckle please be careful and put your watch on over something safe.

I prefer the pin buckle due to comfort when I am typing throughout the day.
Ouch! You just convinced me to get the deployant.
Old 9 April 2016, 06:18 AM   #14
soundserious
"TRF" Member

The Aquanaut deployant is the best I've ever used.
Old 9 April 2016, 06:44 AM   #15
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Love the look of deployants, but find pin buckles much more comfortable
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2016, 07:38 AM   #16
kol
"TRF" Member

I do not agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mps354 View Post
Love the look of deployants, but find pin buckles much more comfortable

Folding clasp is very comfy but the length of the strap needs to be very correct. If you buy a new PP, you can always ask the AD to take the measurements and order a bespoke strap. And when the length is just correct and the folding clasp is sitting correctly on the wrist, it is extremely comfortable.

Best, Kari
kol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2016, 07:47 AM   #17
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by kol View Post
Folding clasp is very comfy but the length of the strap needs to be very correct. If you buy a new PP, you can always ask the AD to take the measurements and order a bespoke strap. And when the length is just correct and the folding clasp is sitting correctly on the wrist, it is extremely comfortable.

Best, Kari
Agree.

Just ordered a custom strap so the clasp will be centered on my wrist. The stock size had the curved part of the deployant resting more towards the center of my wrist, it was manageable although it wasn't ideal.
Old 9 April 2016, 08:24 AM   #18
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
With nautilus on strap I had to order a small strap as the deployant was digging in the bone, very painful after 1-2 hours, and I have 6.9 wrists, so be careful about that too, about buckle you just put or take off your watch over bed or couch, no big deal, but not over tile/concrete floor
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2016, 06:23 PM   #19
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
Deployant or pin buckle, which do you prefer and why? I'm about to pick up a new watch (pictures next week) and it's platinum with a pin buckle and I'm considering converting to a deployant. Due to cost concerns Tracy the strap lady at H. Stern suggested white gold which makes sense, it's 2K cheaper.

I've heard the deployant is more secure when taking the watch on and off and the pin buckle is more secure in terms of the watch staying on the wrist and not falling off inadvertently. Is this correct? I've owned the 5205 with pin buckle and it seemed to pull the watch to one side of my wrist. I've tried on a 5960 with deployant and the fit was perfect, the shape of my wrist seems to be ok with the deployant and from what I've read that is sometimes a problem. Thanks in advance for your answers.
Which watch reference are you thinking of switching from a pin buckle to a deployant clasp? The size and shape of the watch will affect how the watch will wear. There would be quite a difference between a 5196P, 5905P and a 5100P/5101P for example.

In general, I like the deployant clasp. But as an example if you were to add a deployant clasp to one of the Gondolas above, the watch would sit a bit awkward on the wrist due to the size/shape of the case.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2016, 06:52 PM   #20
KarlS
Banned

I find the pin more comfortable and lower profile of wearing cuffs. However the peace of mind the deployment gives you negates the marginal comfort advantage the pin has.
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2016, 11:03 PM   #21
Vipes
"TRF" Member

In general, I find the tang is a little more comfortable than the deployant. With a platinum watch, the deployant will be more comfortable since it will balance out the top heaviness of platinum. Congrats on the incoming!
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2016, 12:06 AM   #22
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP-VC-AP
I find the deployant to be very comfortable and the Calatrava Cross is instantly recognizable. Although it is on the underside of your wrist, you'll know it is not platinum so I would definitely go with P over WG.

Looking forward to the incoming pics.
Old 10 April 2016, 12:42 AM   #23
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I have the 5205R and bought a deployant buckle for it. Fitting wise about the same but feels a bit more secure with deployant. Besides, that calatrava emblem looks great.
benlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2016, 12:51 AM   #24
Oryx
"TRF" Member

I like the tang on my 5235 - find it better than the deployment on my other watches. But agree that deployments are a lot more secure.
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2016, 01:11 AM   #25
martinr
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the replies. I picked up the watch yesterday and it's on my wrist with the pin buckle, seems comfortable enough but I'm going to purchase the deployant and new strap next week, actually I feel this watch should have come with the deployant but for whatever reason Patek went with the pin buckle. 5905P black dial incoming and pictures later today.
Old 10 April 2016, 01:31 AM   #26
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Deployant only for me regardless of gold or platinum. Looks better also !!
HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2016, 01:38 AM   #27
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

I have a 5712R on deployment clasp. It is very comfortable. I would also suspect that a strap will last a lot longer with a deployment buckle.
rebel_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2016, 01:47 AM   #28
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
5905P black dial incoming and pictures later today.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2016, 02:39 AM   #29
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. I picked up the watch yesterday and it's on my wrist with the pin buckle, seems comfortable enough but I'm going to purchase the deployant and new strap next week, actually I feel this watch should have come with the deployant but for whatever reason Patek went with the pin buckle. 5905P black dial incoming and pictures later today.
Congratulations on the 5905P and we all look forward to your incoming.

I agree that the watch should have come with a deployant clasp. However in decreasing the price of the watch from that of the 5960P, the deployant clasp was sacrificed as well as the chrono timing.

Keep us updated on the deployant clasp. When I ordered a new deployant clasp and strap for my Calatrava through my AD, it took just a few days as HSWA had the correct size and metal in stock.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 03:12 AM   #30
JJ WA
"TRF" Member

In relation to the pin vs deployant discussion, one more question: is there a reason why the straps on some deployant models are inverted? This seems to be the case for all PP watches with deployant, but not necessarily all brands do that. Also, is it common for some users to switch the side of the straps on watches mounted with deployant? Thanks.
JJ WA is offline   Reply With Quote