The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 24 May 2016, 04:45 AM   #31
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Deployant always, if possible. I already dropped one watch in a boutique (watch was fine, I almost died! It was awkward.).
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 04:55 AM   #32
JJ WA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ WA View Post
In relation to the pin vs deployant discussion, one more question: is there a reason why the straps on some deployant models are inverted? This seems to be the case for all PP watches with deployant, but not necessarily all brands do that. Also, is it common for some users to switch the side of the straps on watches mounted with deployant? Thanks.
Bumping the questions into page 2 of the thread :-)
JJ WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 05:21 AM   #33
el1125
Banned

Quote:
I have no idea.
el1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 10:12 AM   #34
Stuxnet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Each have their pros and cons.
Deployant definitely increases your chance of it not slipping out of your hands and crashing to the floor when you are about to put it on or take it off.

Did you ever see a magician take off a guys watch during a hand shake?
I'm not saying I'm concerned about this in the wild but If it uses a pin buckle they make it seem incredibly easy:)
Google this for the pics/video:
A couple of years ago Nikolaz Sarkozy was doing the shaking hands routine with a crowd. Someone made a grab for his 3940P (a gift from Carla Bruni). Obviously the watch couldn't be taken off his wrist because of the deployment clasp but it was a very determined effort. He managed to extricate his hand after some effort (lots of people grabbing) and promptly took off his watch and put it into his suit jacket. After that stayed two paces behind the ropes and waved. The newspapers gave him hell for being a rich snooty snob and caring more about his watch than mingling with the people. The truth is that the two men grabbing his watch were professional pick pockets.
Stuxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 10:38 AM   #35
martinr
"TRF" Member

JJ WA, my new 5170R came with a deployant and was inverted, it's comfortable but I switched it around to see the difference and it wasn't as comfortable, the deployant dug into my wrist so I went back to the way it came. On the 5905 with the pin buckle I was going to order a strap with deployant but the pin buckle is comfortable and since I was in between the last hole and second to last for a perfect fit I punched my own hole with a nail. I was advised by Patek and my AD not to do it but did it anyway and it's fine. I'm going to order a short strap for the pin buckle with intermediate spacing so I have the right size strap with the right spacing. And, I save over $4000 which is the cost of a platinum deployant, insane for what it is.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 11:28 AM   #36
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuxnet View Post
Google this for the pics/video:
A couple of years ago Nikolaz Sarkozy was doing the shaking hands routine with a crowd. Someone made a grab for his 3940P (a gift from Carla Bruni). Obviously the watch couldn't be taken off his wrist because of the deployment clasp but it was a very determined effort. He managed to extricate his hand after some effort (lots of people grabbing) and promptly took off his watch and put it into his suit jacket. After that stayed two paces behind the ropes and waved. The newspapers gave him hell for being a rich snooty snob and caring more about his watch than mingling with the people. The truth is that the two men grabbing his watch were professional pick pockets.
And the pick-pockets were arrested? There's no secret service in France to ninja people who might be a threat? Because I'm surprised Sarkozy or Hollande, even moreso, is alive if there's no protection.

Anyway, good story about a deployant saving the day.
Old 24 May 2016, 11:32 AM   #37
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
and since I was in between the last hole and second to last for a perfect fit I punched my own hole with a nail. I was advised by Patek and my AD not to do it but did it anyway and it's fine. I'm going to order a short strap for the pin buckle with intermediate spacing so I have the right size strap with the right spacing. And, I save over $4000 which is the cost of a platinum deployant, insane for what it is.
Good lord.

I will say that the price for the PP deployant is in align with ALS and FPJ.
Old 24 May 2016, 01:47 PM   #38
Stuxnet
Banned

https://www.corporatetravelsafety.co...s-watch-video/

https://storyful.com/stories/25755-s...ith-supporters
Stuxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 09:42 PM   #39
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
JJ WA, my new 5170R came with a deployant and was inverted, it's comfortable but I switched it around to see the difference and it wasn't as comfortable, the deployant dug into my wrist so I went back to the way it came. On the 5905 with the pin buckle I was going to order a strap with deployant but the pin buckle is comfortable and since I was in between the last hole and second to last for a perfect fit I punched my own hole with a nail. I was advised by Patek and my AD not to do it but did it anyway and it's fine. I'm going to order a short strap for the pin buckle with intermediate spacing so I have the right size strap with the right spacing. And, I save over $4000 which is the cost of a platinum deployant, insane for what it is.
Martin my deployant with a stock strap did not sit well on my wrist, the hinged /curved end landed ~center of wrist.
I purchased a custom strap and had Patek adjust the size of the short end of the strap, now the deployant lands where it is supposed to, at the turn of my wrist and the buckle is centered under my wrist.

the overall strap size is nearly the same (>2mm), it's just my wrist required one of the last holes on the stock strap which landed the deployant in the wrong place.
Old 24 May 2016, 10:27 PM   #40
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:

I've heard the deployant is more secure when taking the watch on and off and the pin buckle is more secure in terms of the watch staying on the wrist and not falling off inadvertently. Is this correct?
Deployant for exactly the reasons you ve mentioned , I doubt you will notice the difference between Pt. and WG clasp, it wouldn t bother me -okay maybe a bit :-) -.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2016, 10:29 PM   #41
KarlS
Banned

I found tang a bit more comfortable and obviously sits flatter on the wrist. However, considering your watch, the weight and the value I would go deployment even if marginally more uncomfortable.
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2016, 12:47 AM   #42
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Personally prefer the pin buckle for any relatively thin dress watch. More comfortable and looks more appropriate in this setting.

For any thick, sportier watch I think the deployant works best, for reasons already mentioned.

The deployant offers ease of use and greater security when putting on the wrist. Valid concerns with larger watches. Once on the wrist, I think the standard pin buckle is the more secure- pickpockets and street magicians notwithstanding.

Comfort wise it's hard to find anything more comfortable than a pin buckle, and I'd just assume forgo the added bulk of the deployant. As for ease of use, I haven't found it to be particularly challanging putting on a watch and have yet to drop one.
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2016, 05:59 AM   #43
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauebm View Post
I find the Calatrava deployant absolutely beautiful, so I would definitely go with that. It is safer to put on too, as the watch stays around your wrist if one of the ends of the strap slip out of your fingers.

As for getting it in wg, seems like a good alternative. Although, it's safe to say, I imagine those extra 2k would represent a very small percentage of the cost of the watch, so maybe worth the extra effort to go for the platinum deployant.
An extra $2k is a pretty small portion of the watch's price. Definitely worth staying consistent with the platinum throughout.
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2016, 11:38 AM   #44
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
fyi for whatever reason neither of the links would play for me, claiming the USA does not have access. i get the gist and have had some experience with pickpockets both professionally and as a victim, certainly they would be able to spot such a target.
Old 13 March 2017, 06:29 AM   #45
daveyw
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thread resurrection-
I recently found this thread whilst seeing if other Patek owners had issues with the comfort of their deployant clasp. I have a 5146g and in the process of experimenting to get a more comfortable fit found that the shape of the clasp suited my wrist better if the straps were reversed. The PP clasp has a very definite curve to the hinge end which was niggling me slightly as I have a flat wrist where it sat. Reverse the straps, the deployant now sits on the other side of my wrist, perfect fit!
I guess that's your answer, fit it whichever way works for you. Crappy iPhone pick to demonstrate

Hope that helps some owners or worriers
daveyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2017, 08:41 PM   #46
jfriedkin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, PP
The deployant will also keep the strap in better shape!
jfriedkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2017, 09:51 PM   #47
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
On my 5726 the deployant was digging into the wrist bone, it was incredibly painful after an hour or more, so I had to buy a shorter strap and it was fine
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 12:04 AM   #48
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
Thread resurrection-
I recently found this thread whilst seeing if other Patek owners had issues with the comfort of their deployant clasp. I have a 5146g and in the process of experimenting to get a more comfortable fit found that the shape of the clasp suited my wrist better if the straps were reversed. The PP clasp has a very definite curve to the hinge end which was niggling me slightly as I have a flat wrist where it sat. Reverse the straps, the deployant now sits on the other side of my wrist, perfect fit!
I guess that's your answer, fit it whichever way works for you. Crappy iPhone pick to demonstrate

Hope that helps some owners or worriers
I did the same when I received my 3940. The switch made it perfect

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote