The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 12 March 2017, 07:13 AM   #61
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryx View Post
That would be a result - have you had your name down for a while?

Not sure if they would transition people on the list for the R to the P. Hopefully they let existing 5131 owners also put their name down for the P.
Almost one year so not long, he told me if to take into account previous experience as to the 5131, that it was very possible, most likely around 2018, of course he told me he couldn't guarantee anything but will try, hoping to as I will have a R, a G with the Voutilainen but no P, not wanting a J, I am kind of hoping to have different materials, I think that if you are on the list for one you will be transferred to the P, quite logical, if ever I was proposed a R I would pass in order to have a possibility to the P, I already have one R and no need for a second, plus I prefer the G out of all 5131's, anyways we will see what happens, but a P would be a great last piece for my collection, at least for a few years as really don't see what pieces I would want to sell from what I have, love them all, and thank God I am not interested in complicated pieces, though I would probably fall for a blue 5726 and of course there can always be some new piece I fall for...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2017, 07:14 AM   #62
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
That would be a result - have you had your name down for a while?

Not sure if they would transition people on the list for the R to the P. Hopefully they let existing 5131 owners also put their name down for the P.
Don't forget the position you were in when you were waiting for the J and it was discontinued: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ht=5131&page=3

I think anyone on the waiting list on the R should be given priority for the P if the R is discontinued. Back in 2014 I'm sure you would have felt the same
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2017, 07:44 AM   #63
Oryx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
Don't forget the position you were in when you were waiting for the J and it was discontinued: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ht=5131&page=3

I think anyone on the waiting list on the R should be given priority for the P if the R is discontinued. Back in 2014 I'm sure you would have felt the same
Nice piece of reconnaissance

I waited a very long time for my R and have built a collection of complications during that period so would expect PP to give me a fair chance of acquiring a 5131P - it doesn't have to be immediately but over time I would expect to be in contention.

PP need to balance the demand with the supply but this shouldn't purely be based on when people were added to a list for a 5131 in any metal. Patek should / do use these special watches to reward loyal customers.

To me a 5131P will be much more special from a collectors standpoint than a 5131 G, J or R.
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2017, 08:01 AM   #64
RussW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nice piece of reconnaissance

I waited a very long time for my R and have built a collection of complications during that period so would expect PP to give me a fair chance of acquiring a 5131P - it doesn't have to be immediately but over time I would expect to be in contention.

PP need to balance the demand with the supply but this shouldn't purely be based on when people were added to a list for a 5131 in any metal. Patek should / do use these special watches to reward loyal customers.

To me a 5131P will be much more special from a collectors standpoint than a 5131 G, J or R.
Not reconnaissance, I remember that thread very well. I was gutted some of you guys were potentially going to miss out on a 5131.

You are very deserving of your R (and indeed a P) but I think everyone on the list needs a fair shot at a 5131. When the J is discontinued, there will have been people on the list for 8 years or longer and it doesn't seem right to me to wait so long and end up with nothing. It is a tough one though, I agree.
Old 12 March 2017, 08:15 AM   #65
Oryx
"TRF" Member

agree its a tough one - better left to PP I suppose
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2017, 08:42 AM   #66
RussW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
agree its a tough one - better left to PP I suppose
Here's an idea. Produce the P at the same time as the R. That way PP can reward the loyal clients, and at the same time not upset those on the list for the R

Not sure what happens when the 5131 is fully discontinued. Will we see a 5231 I wonder.
Old 12 March 2017, 09:52 AM   #67
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

I don't have a problem with ADs or the regional office holding onto 5131 papers for 2 years. There is nothing to say an owner can't sell within that time period, even with a copy of the Certificate.

There are plenty of people who would keep an AD allocation of a 5131 for years. But it would be naive to think people are not tempted by a quick 100% profit upon sale.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2017, 09:56 AM   #68
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Congratulations Brian. Another fine addition. I agree with you that retaining the papers for two years is not the correct way to treat loyal customers like you. It also makes no sense to only do this in selected markets if the intention is to stamp out the grey market. They should do it globally or not at all.
conkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2017, 10:00 AM   #69
toucan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970
Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
Congratulations Brian. Another fine addition. I agree with you that retaining the papers for two years is not the correct way to treat loyal customers like you. It also makes no sense to only do this in selected markets if the intention is to stamp out the grey market. They should do it globally or not at all.
Perfectly stated!
toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2017, 10:13 AM   #70
pp5575
Banned

Watch: 5131G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Papers are held by Rhone not Boodles so they will always be safe and available.
Thank you for the information.
pp5575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2017, 10:22 AM   #71
pp5575
Banned

Quote:
Yes, agree with you. Do it globally, not just UK.

I am going to HK on Monday Mar 13 to pick up my 5131R. Quite exciting to see the 5131R.
Old 12 March 2017, 10:24 AM   #72
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp5575 View Post
Yes, agree with you. Do it globally, not just UK.

I am going to HK on Monday Mar 13 to pick up my 5131R. Quite exciting to see the 5131R.
I would suggest coffee but sadly I fly out of HK early tomorrow morning. Safe travels and congrats again!
conkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2017, 10:31 AM   #73
pp5575
Banned

Quote:
I would suggest coffee but sadly I fly out of HK early tomorrow morning. Safe travels and congrats again!
No problem. 5131R will makes me happy all day.
Old 12 March 2017, 11:22 AM   #74
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Almost one year so not long, he told me if to take into account previous experience as to the 5131, that it was very possible, most likely around 2018, of course he told me he couldn't guarantee anything but will try, hoping to as I will have a R, a G with the Voutilainen but no P, not wanting a J, I am kind of hoping to have different materials, I think that if you are on the list for one you will be transferred to the P, quite logical, if ever I was proposed a R I would pass in order to have a possibility to the P, I already have one R and no need for a second, plus I prefer the G out of all 5131's, anyways we will see what happens, but a P would be a great last piece for my collection, at least for a few years as really don't see what pieces I would want to sell from what I have, love them all, and thank God I am not interested in complicated pieces, though I would probably fall for a blue 5726 and of course there can always be some new piece I fall for...
I'm confused. I thought it was an application piece and not just a matter of signing up for a waitlist. Frankly, I thought they were only made available to people who had previously purchased a couple grand complications.
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2017, 12:01 PM   #75
pp5575
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
I'm confused. I thought it was an application piece and not just a matter of signing up for a waitlist. Frankly, I thought they were only made available to people who had previously purchased a couple grand complications.
For me, it is hard to get piece. I have to keep spend $ to buy expensive watches and show loyalty to AD and MD before I can get an application for 5131.

Since it announced. I wait for 5131R until now. Also, I waited for a long time to get 5131G just before it was discontinued,

I think it is even harder for me to apply for 5131P. I feel it is almost impossible for me to get it in UK. I am tire of keep going on this game.
Old 12 March 2017, 12:24 PM   #76
pp5575
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
I don't have a problem with ADs or the regional office holding onto 5131 papers for 2 years. There is nothing to say an owner can't sell within that time period, even with a copy of the Certificate.

There are plenty of people who would keep an AD allocation of a 5131 for years. But it would be naive to think people are not tempted by a quick 100% profit upon sale.
There are other investment have better return than selling something like 5131. I am not interesting to sell my hard to get piece (like 5131) for the money. Actually, I don't think it is a good investment for buying a PP. I buoght PP because I like some of its models, but they are hard to get. Sometimes, I become a uphappy customers because of some reasons. I don't even own a whole enamel dial watch for 8 year loyal customer in UK. Not even mention to have a custom made watch for me. Also, many unhappy times to mainteance my watches. It is disappointment. Maybe I want to take a break from now.
Old 12 March 2017, 01:03 PM   #77
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
For me, it is hard to get piece. I have to keep spend $ to buy expensive watches and show loyalty to AD and MD before I can get an application for 5131.

Since it announced. I wait for 5131R until now. Also, I waited for a long time to get 5131G just before it was discontinued,

I think it is even harder for me to apply for 5131P. I feel it is almost impossible for me to get it in UK. I am tire of keep going on this game.
I'm sorry to hear all this. The hobby should bring joy, not stress. I hope you feel better when the 5131r is on your wrist.
Old 12 March 2017, 02:18 PM   #78
KarlS
Banned

Increase the price to $100 000 and watch the wait list disappear into the ether....Price a 5131P like the 40th and you will thin the list out even more....howevere without a waitlist the aura will disappear and perhaps this just becomes a worldtime with a pretty dial and some laser engraving (not even hand) on teh case....of course if I owned one my perspective would be different
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2017, 02:21 PM   #79
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
Increase the price to $100 000 and watch the wait list disappear into the ether....Price a 5131P like the 40th and you will thin the list out even more....howevere without a waitlist the aura will disappear and perhaps this just becomes a worldtime with a pretty dial and some laser engraving (not even hand) on teh case....of course if I owned one my perspective would be different
If the wait list is made up of people who've spent 100s of 1,000s of dollars on Pateks (and our man Lapince), why would a price increase deter anyone? Make list 100k and they'd be on the secondary for 150k.
Old 12 March 2017, 02:37 PM   #80
pp5575
Banned

Quote:
If the wait list is made up of people who've spent 100s of 1,000s of dollars on Pateks (and our man Lapince), why would a price increase deter anyone? Make list 100k and they'd be on the secondary for 150k.
That is what I like about 5160. Most buyers will discorage to buy 5160. They will choose 5159 instead. Then there is no problem about flipper. I have 5160R and J. I don't have to wait many years as waiting for 5131.

I believe PP will not be popular as before if there is no grey market support. For example, Are you going to buy 5131 at current price if grey market price is only US $20,000? Just example, just chanllange me for the price.
Old 12 March 2017, 03:09 PM   #81
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Well it would certainly thin out some of us with more modest economic standing...
Old 12 March 2017, 03:30 PM   #82
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
Well it would certainly thin out some of us with more modest economic standing...
I'm still lost. Who are the people who are approved for the watch who have enough money to buy their way onto the list but not enough to buy a 5131 at a higher price point? Especially if they could still flip it for more?
Old 12 March 2017, 04:42 PM   #83
pp5575
Banned

Quote:
I'm still lost. Who are the people who are approved for the watch who have enough money to buy their way onto the list but not enough to buy a 5131 at a higher price point? Especially if they could still flip it for more?
I believe true 5131 lover will not sell his 5131 for few money. He will likely to pay more on 5131 for his name instead of buying from grey market.
Old 12 March 2017, 04:55 PM   #84
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I believe true 5131 lover will not sell his 5131 for few money. He will likely to pay more on 5131 for his name instead of buying from grey market.
Agreed. There's something very special about having one's name on Patek papers.
Old 12 March 2017, 05:19 PM   #85
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
no, I never bought a grande complication and probably never will

the relationship with your AD is the only thing that matters.
I received every "special' Patek I asked for.
I did not sell one of them.
Old 12 March 2017, 05:26 PM   #86
pp5575
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post

You are a very lucky guy.

Good relationship with your AD is the most important factor to have a chance to get a special piece.
Old 12 March 2017, 06:52 PM   #87
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
I would be surprised if you could buy your way onto a list in the UK....I think there are enough examples of those who had the means but just had to wait like the rest of the vast unwashed masses....maybe not as long and I am sure there is a pecking order but they sure waited!

most of it is covered here

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...18#post7394418

Arent you an owner?
Old 12 March 2017, 07:08 PM   #88
Jetkopite
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5131R,6263,5712T
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post

So what do we conclude from the replies across the road with regards to numbers??? Im sticking to 30-50 pieces a year for the 5131R
Jetkopite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2017, 07:18 PM   #89
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetkopite View Post
So what do we conclude from the replies across the road with regards to numbers??? Im sticking to 30-50 pieces a year for the 5131R
I think that the manufacture of the dials is not the limiting factor....I think that PP deliberately restricts numbers to a predetermined level each year to keep owners wanting something that is always just outside their reach...keeps the interest....bottom line on both forums is nobody actually knows....except Thierry and he ain't telling!!!
Old 12 March 2017, 07:26 PM   #90
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetkopite View Post

I think all those figures are just estimation the 5131R(the G and the J) a magnificent piece and definetly produced in limited numbers but those numbers are only known by the execs of PP all the rest is just betting ,my estimation is closer to 100pcs per annum than to 50.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote