The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 12 March 2017, 09:12 PM   #1
Jetkopite
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5131R,6263,5712T
Power reserve question on the 5131R.

Hi folks hope everyone is having a great weekend..

Just wanted to ask a question with regards to power reserve on my 5131R caliber 240 HU. I noticed when I wind it initially 10-15 times and wear it for a few hours then put it down the next day it stops after around 18-24hrs. Now reading the manual it sais a fully wound watch will have a reserve of around 48hrs.

Am I right in thinking that to fully wind the watch it has to be wound and worn for many hours to get a reserve of 48hrs or so?? Is it normal to wind it and wear for say 4-5 hours and not get anywhere near 48hrs power reserve??

Hope that all makes sense..
Jetkopite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2017, 10:14 PM   #2
KarlS
Banned

it only needs 800 CCW on a watchwinder to keep it fully wound so i am surprised...I wouldnt swing it around too much in the cockpit in case you hit one of those important switch things....
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2017, 10:21 PM   #3
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
I wouldnt swing it around too much in the cockpit in case you hit one of those important switch things....
+1
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2017, 10:29 PM   #4
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
I can't speak to the 5131 BUT 10-15 times IMO is not enough. My 3940PC says wind 10 times in the manual and I experienced a similar issue. I wound it for 25-30 and the power reserve dramatically increased. Also I believe Patek states in their manuals a power reserve that is a bit higher than you can actually count on. My 5235 and 3940 fully wound have never reached the maximum power reserve that the manual says you should get. Just my 2cents

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2017, 10:36 PM   #5
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Seeing on my 5712 which has power reserve and on my other watches I wind about 25-30 times, but even 15 I am surprised you don't get more, but all depends on how active you were in the 4-5 hours you wore it, try giving it a full wind, you risk nothing by over winding it, and see how it goes, if after a full wind you still don't get around 48 hours then there might be a problem but I think you just didn't wind it enough and weren't active enough
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2017, 11:13 PM   #6
KarlS
Banned

you probably need a 12 pack!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plattboj-lithium-battery__0300178_PE426170_S4.JPG (29.7 KB, 189 views)
Old 13 March 2017, 02:09 AM   #7
1928 Prince
"TRF" Member

Similar problem with my almost two year old 5140R with 240Q movement. Specs say 38-48 hour reserve. Recently noticed it had stopped while in the functioning Patek winder box. I gave it 40-50 hand winds and back in the winder. I did this five days in a row. I got these reserves-even in the winder-before the watch stopped: 24:17, 19:15, 30:15, 24:15, and 22:25. So, it seems that I have two problem: Low power reserve, and nonfunctional micro rotor. I just had my AD send it to the Stern Agency. The two year warranty expires in two weeks. Hate to think what the repair bill would be if it were out of warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1928 Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2017, 02:16 AM   #8
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Can't speak to the 240 movements, but underwhelmed by 324's power reserve on what PP recommends as a full wind.
kneedeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2017, 02:27 AM   #9
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedeep View Post
Can't speak to the 240 movements, but underwhelmed by 324's power reserve on what PP recommends as a full wind.
No what PP recommends is clearly not enough, my 5712 takes around 20-25 for the PR to be at maximum
Old 13 March 2017, 02:28 AM   #10
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
i would think those who own the 5712 (also with the 240 movement) with PR indicator would have a useful working knowledge and experience here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedeep View Post
agree 324 always seemed to come up short for me, i found it would begin to lose time after a day of rest.

i have a real appreciation for modern movements that commonly have a PR of nearly 3 days, tudor pelagos, patek 5170 & daytona 116500 to name a few.
Old 13 March 2017, 02:38 AM   #11
KarlS
Banned

Never have a problem with my 240 on the 5130G but in fairness when I take it off it goes onto a winder for a 12 hour power down ....
Old 13 March 2017, 04:23 AM   #12
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
5712/240 10-15manual winds and a 3-4hours on wrist are enough to push the PR to full ,it takes 48-50 h power down.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2017, 05:01 AM   #13
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
5712/240 10-15manual winds and a 3-4hours on wrist are enough to push the PR to full ,it takes 48-50 h power down.
Really? Maybe I am mistaken but I think I usually do more around 20, all depends how you count the turns, will have to try and really count next time I get it from the bank, but I put the PR to the max by winding it, I don't wind a little and wait for the rotor to do the rest. About PR usually after around 12 hours the PR is down by around 20%, so for me it is about 48 and the specs seem right, but 48 is not long, had the Pam 233 now that's PR...
Old 13 March 2017, 05:06 AM   #14
Jetkopite
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Really? Maybe I am mistaken but I think I usually do more around 20, all depends how you count the turns, will have to try and really count next time I get it from the bank, but I put the PR to the max by winding it, I don't wind a little and wait for the rotor to do the rest
I dont think you are supposed to wind it fully by hand Arnuad, I was advised to wind it 15-20 times and then wear it to wind it further rather than hand wind it to the max??
Old 13 March 2017, 05:07 AM   #15
Jetkopite
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
Never have a problem with my 240 on the 5130G but in fairness when I take it off it goes onto a winder for a 12 hour power down ....
I can see why you dont have a problem Karl having it on the winder
Old 13 March 2017, 05:41 AM   #16
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Really? Maybe I am mistaken but I think I usually do more around 20, all depends how you count the turns, will have to try and really count next time I get it from the bank, but I put the PR to the max by winding it, I don't wind a little and wait for the rotor to do the rest. About PR usually after around 12 hours the PR is down by around 20%, so for me it is about 48 and the specs seem right, but 48 is not long, had the Pam 233 now that's PR...

Never wind it to the max just a couple to give some momentum the rest is done by motion

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------

IG @passionata1
Old 13 March 2017, 05:52 AM   #17
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetkopite View Post
I dont think you are supposed to wind it fully by hand Arnuad, I was advised to wind it 15-20 times and then wear it to wind it further rather than hand wind it to the max??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
Never wind it to the max just a couple to give some momentum the rest is done by motion
Maybe you guys are right, but always figured since it's auto movements it can't be too winded, will need to read about that, but never read anything against over winding on autos
Old 13 March 2017, 06:11 AM   #18
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Maybe you guys are right, but always figured since it's auto movements it can't be too winded, will need to read about that, but never read anything against over winding on autos

Nothing to do with overwinding rather unnecessary stress on the stem and gasket(if there s any on the stem).

---------------------

IG @passionata1
Old 13 March 2017, 12:38 PM   #19
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetkopite View Post
I can see why you dont have a problem Karl having it on the winder
See???! Bugger wear and tear....it has a use!
Old 13 March 2017, 08:55 PM   #20
jimroe
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 571211A-001
Quote:
No what PP recommends is clearly not enough, my 5712 takes around 20-25 for the PR to be at maximum
5712 here, only about a month old and initially fully wound by the AD before I started wearing it. Since then I have never seen the PW less than maybe 38. Yesterday I gave it a couple of manual turns as part of setting it for DST and it seemed like each turn added something close to 1 hour of PR; by the time I was done setting it and screwed the crown in (which seems to have also added to the PR) I was just over 48 so I think it would easily take at least 20-25 to reach 48 hours PR.

On the wrist though I would not think a few hours wearing would be enough to reach full PR after only 10-15 turns manually. My 5712 usually takes half a day to get to fully wound after resting overnight - some days with light activity it doesn't get there until late afternoon or early evening.
Old 13 March 2017, 10:25 PM   #21
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimroe View Post
On the wrist though I would not think a few hours wearing would be enough to reach full PR after only 10-15 turns manually. My 5712 usually takes half a day to get to fully wound after resting overnight - some days with light activity it doesn't get there until late afternoon or early evening.
wear it on your right hand , it does the trick

---------------------

IG @passionata1
Old 13 March 2017, 10:49 PM   #22
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

I have a 5712 and after fully wound it lasts about two days. Although it takes more than 10-15 winding times for the PR to be at max. Maybe you should ask your AD?
SpeedyTuomas is offline   Reply With Quote