The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 17 March 2017, 01:12 AM   #31
pp5575
Banned

Watch: 5131G
Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
Go for it...why not.

You're a 'good customer'.

Hate to see how they treat a 'bad customer'.
I total understand how you feel. I had been treated badly before I became a VIP in many ADs.
pp5575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 01:20 AM   #32
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

I've really fallen in love with the 5271p lately. I would happily buy that watch if available at a good price. Not sure if that helps your overall decision, but I think it's a win overall to be offered that piece plus a 5131r.
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 01:24 AM   #33
pp5575
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
I've really fallen in love with the 5271p lately. I would happily buy that watch if available at a good price. Not sure if that helps your overall decision, but I think it's a win overall to be offered that piece plus a 5131r.
HaHa.

I will do the deal for sure if Boodles wants to give me a deal like this.

Now I like 5271 black dial too. I have see the watch. Beautiful black dial although diamond a little too much.
Old 17 March 2017, 01:31 AM   #34
Jetkopite
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5131R,6263,5712T
Quote:
How is it a win being offered another 5131R subject to buying a 5271P and a Perpetual calender when he already has the 5131R??
Jetkopite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 01:32 AM   #35
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetkopite View Post
How is it a win being offered another 5131R subject to buying a 5271P and a Perpetual calender when he already has the 5131R??
Because he's being offered two great, rare pieces on top of an opportunity to own a 5131r that he can flip for profit or sell at retail to a friend or put in a vault in case he has more than one child or do whatever else he wants according to his prerogative.
Old 17 March 2017, 01:33 AM   #36
pp5575
Banned

Quote:
That is why I prefer not to do the deal. I may consider to do the deal if it is a 5131P.
Old 17 March 2017, 01:36 AM   #37
Jetkopite
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Because he's being offered two great, rare pieces on top of an opportunity to own a 5131r that he can flip for profit or sell at retail to a friend or put in a vault in case he has more than one child or do whatever else he wants according to his prerogative.
So having to spend nearly half a million dollars to have the option to spend another 70K on a 5131R is a great deal???

I find it insulting to be honest especially to a VIP customer like Brian as he sais he is..
Old 17 March 2017, 01:42 AM   #38
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So having to spend nearly half a million dollars to have the option to spend another 70K on a 5131R is a great deal???

I find it insulting to be honest especially to a VIP customer like Brian as he sais he is..
It's an offer. How long did you wait for your 5131? The AD is proposing a means to bypass that wait. Maybe I'd feel differently if he wasn't being offered two watches I personally want; but, in that situation, if I had the chance to get a 5271p and a 5270 plus another 5131, I'd consider that a lucky day.

Also, 300k is a lot, but it's still a far cry from half a million. No need for hyperbole!
Old 17 March 2017, 01:44 AM   #39
pp5575
Banned

Quote:

I understand. Most Patek AD treat customer this way. I have a 5131R from London, but I don't have my paper. What can I do? Could I protest? I guess I have no power to do this although I am not quite happy.
Old 17 March 2017, 01:48 AM   #40
Jetkopite
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's an offer. How long did you wait for your 5131? The AD is proposing a means to bypass that wait. Maybe I'd feel differently if he wasn't being offered two watches I personally want; but, in that situation, if I had the chance to get a 5271p and a 5270 plus another 5131, I'd consider that a lucky day.

Also, 300k is a lot, but it's still a far cry from half a million. No need for hyperbole!
Sorry I dont agree and think that is against the ethics of Patek Philippe, I can never imagine Patek salons in London, Geneva or Paris ever offering a 5131R subject to buying to huge pieces like those.
If a customer sais to an AD I would buy this and that but you have to give me a 5131R allocation then fair enough but an AD to come out with that is not a good deal or acceptable. Just my opinion.
Old 17 March 2017, 01:53 AM   #41
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry I dont agree and think that is against the ethics of Patek Philippe, I can never imagine Patek salons in London, Geneva or Paris ever offering a 5131R subject to buying to huge pieces like those.
If a customer sais to an AD I would buy this and that but you have to give me a 5131R allocation then fair enough but an AD to come out with that is not a good deal or acceptable. Just my opinion.
I don't think Patek has shown itself to have better or worse ethics than any other business.

I guess we just see this as different levels of craven. I'd rather go into an AD, have them tell me the conditions up front and proceed from there than buy two very expensive pieces to curry favor and hope that it moved me up the list. At least with this approach you know what you have to do and what you'll get out of it.

Like I said, if they were trying to dump two pieces I disliked on me, I'd feel differently, but the 5271p is an amazing watch that I would love to own regardless.
Old 17 March 2017, 01:59 AM   #42
pp5575
Banned

Quote:

Be honest. It is not too bad deal compare to other ADs because it is a first time deal from this AD. I can have a good relationship with the AD after this deal. However, I still prefer to do a deal on 5131P or enamel watch.
Old 17 March 2017, 02:00 AM   #43
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pp5575 View Post
Be honest. It is not too bad deal compare to other ADs because it is a first time deal from this AD. I can have a good relationship with the AD after this deal. However, I still prefer to do a deal on 5131P or enamel watch.
I think that's a fair counter. They obviously want your business and to move those two expensive pieces. Have you asked whether they can get you one of the other enamel pieces if you buy the 5271p and the other perpetual?
Old 17 March 2017, 02:02 AM   #44
pp5575
Banned

Quote:
I don't think Patek has shown itself to have better or worse ethics than any other business.

I guess we just see this as different levels of craven. I'd rather go into an AD, have them tell me the conditions up front and proceed from there than buy two very expensive pieces to curry favor and hope that it moved me up the list. At least with this approach you know what you have to do and what you'll get out of it.

Like I said, if they were trying to dump two pieces I disliked on me, I'd feel differently, but the 5271p is an amazing watch that I would love to own regardless.
I agree with you. I don't like buying many watches and have no idea when I am going to be a top list.
Old 17 March 2017, 02:04 AM   #45
pp5575
Banned

Quote:
I think that's a fair counter. They obviously want your business and to move those two expensive pieces. Have you asked whether they can get you one of the other enamel pieces if you buy the 5271p and the other perpetual?
I think it will try a different approach after Basel. It deponds on what watch I am looking for, but AD will not ask me to buy something that I do not like.

I will only do a deal on a very rare watch that I can't get anywhere else.
Old 17 March 2017, 02:13 AM   #46
Jetkopite
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well I thought you was a VIP customer with this AD thats why I said its unethical and not a good deal, its a different ball game if its the 1st time you are buying and dealing with them. Would be nice if you gave us all the details from the start
Old 17 March 2017, 02:36 AM   #47
pp5575
Banned

Quote:
Well I thought you was a VIP customer with this AD thats why I said its unethical and not a good deal, its a different ball game if its the 1st time you are buying and dealing with them. Would be nice if you gave us all the details from the start
Last 8 years, I only bought watches from Boodles because Jamie treats me very nice.

This particular Taiwan AD treats me like a his VIP customer because he saw my collection.

He will not treat other walk in customer like me unless he knows what is your collection.
Old 17 March 2017, 02:56 AM   #48
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

I imagine part of the analysis of being a VIP customer is not just retrospective but prospective. Patek probably has a marginal appreciation for what's been bought already, but the ADs are likely more interested in the signal that the VIP customer can buy more and more from them. The fact that an AD is trying to upsell a VIP customer is pretty par for the course.
Old 17 March 2017, 03:34 AM   #49
thurgood
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/ROLEX
Definitely pass
thurgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 06:31 AM   #50
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Quote:
Last 8 years, I only bought watches from Boodles because Jamie treats me very nice.

This particular Taiwan AD treats me like a his VIP customer because he saw my collection.

He will not treat other walk in customer like me unless he knows what is your collection.
Brian... I'm willing to bet anyone who offers to pay List Price to this Taiwan AD for a 5271P and a Perpetual Calendar at List he will give them access to the 5131R. Did they offer you a discount on those pieces? By the time you paid full price for those 2 pieces which IMO are not that sought after (plenty of 5270s around and the 5271P is very blingy and the 5327 Perpetual Calendars are in every darn AD readily available) You would've been better paying 100-105K for a 5131R. Just my opinion. Stick with Boodles and don't bother with this other AD

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 06:38 AM   #51
Jetkopite
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
Brian... I'm willing to bet anyone who offers to pay List Price to this Taiwan AD for a 5271P and a Perpetual Calendar at List he will give them access to the 5131R. Did they offer you a discount on those pieces? By the time you paid full price for those 2 pieces which IMO are not that sought after (plenty of 5270s around and the 5271P is very blingy and the 5327 Perpetual Calendars are in every darn AD readily available) You would've been better paying 100-105K for a 5131R. Just my opinion. Stick with Boodles and don't bother with this other AD
Spot on I didnt think of it that way lol
Old 17 March 2017, 11:22 AM   #52
pp5575
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
Of course. I like Boodles the best. This is a last choice if I real want a rare watch and only this Taiwan AD can offer to me. Then I will consider to do the deal. It offers me discount on 5271P and Perpetual Calendar, not 5131R. Not too bad for new customer for first deal.

Also, I can choose other rare watch instead of 5131R. It is just a negotiaction. no Harmful to me. I always have a dream to collect a nice whole enamel dial watch, but Boodles can't offer me the watch in last 8 years. Anyway, I like Boodles and it offered me many nice rare watches.

Thanks Boodles and Jamie offered me many nice watches and gifts.
Old 17 March 2017, 02:38 PM   #53
benzng
"TRF" Member

I am going to the UK in May. Makes me want to check out Boodles :) I won't change AD though as I am very happy with my AD, they work hard to get the pieces I want and have a well-established relationship with them. :)
benzng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 03:09 PM   #54
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

i actually do think that the demand has weakened a good amount. a family member picked up a 5131 and is by no means a big-time patek collector.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 03:39 PM   #55
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
i actually do think that the demand has weakened a good amount. a family member picked up a 5131 and is by no means a big-time patek collector.
The secondary prices reflect that. I've heard of them going for as much as 180 a few years ago. Now you can buy one sealed on the secondary market for a hair over 100.
Old 17 March 2017, 03:48 PM   #56
KarlS
Banned

In the UK discounts are modest (in my experience and I am sure lots of people will explain how they get 20% from their dealer due to their favoured status). This would be a nice way to get around the discount issue. Buy a 5271P and a PC and the dealer throws in a 5131R. Brian has he told you that you have to get a 5160 as the PC? Just check the screws!!! Cheers
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 04:09 PM   #57
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

If you are absolutely not interested in the 5271P or getting another PC, then this is not a good deal. However without knowing the retail price of these watches in Taiwanese Dollar (and its equivalent exchange rate in USD), we will never know if it is a good or bad deal.

In many countries, base retail prices are fairly competitive (compared to other countries) so that ADs do not need to discount the price. Switzerland is one of these places. However in other countries like the US, retail prices are often 15-20% higher than other parts of the world, so you need a decent discount to be competitive. This is related to the strong USD, but it may be worthwhile to compare prices if you are thinking about getting the 5271P some time in the future.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2017, 04:15 PM   #58
Credor911
Banned

Seems to me that if you take the deal and negotiate the price on the pieces a bit you can resell the 3 watches and make a nice profit. You are probably not interested in doing this tho.
Credor911 is offline   Reply With Quote