The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 13 October 2019, 11:10 PM   #61
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
I think there is a moral/ethical differential between stealing to feed your family/self and sexual assault. While I see the comparison of a short skirt versus diamonds, I will put it this way so its clear the difference:

1) I am horny - I walk by a pretty girl who is wearing really revealing clothing. I assault her. I think everyone will agree that it is wrong on so many levels.

2) I am starving, my family is starving (perhaps near death?). I walk by someone wearing a $900k RM. I steal it without hurting him. I feed my family.

I think option #2 in many circles would be far more "acceptable". Both are wrong. #2 is more common.
That watch is so hot now no one will buy it, even for 1/10 the price. So no feeding the family with this score.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 11:15 PM   #62
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
But 100k is okay?
I draw the line at the following equation:

Net worth (Assets minus liabilities) - ((Net worth)*( 50% * likelihood of divorce)*(number of anticipated marriages)). This total is then multiplied by the current market rate of return to generate your asset cash flow.

You then take your annual income and add this. Back out taxes.

You take this asset cash flow and annual income after taxes and back our recurring expenses.

With this unencumbered income and all recurring expenses paid. You can can do whatever the flying jeebuzes you want with it. Go to timbarktoo, dine with hookers, spend it on meth. Buy a RM. Just don't get married again if and when you do get divorced - financial catastrophe ya ok.

If net worth is negative, stick with a swatch or you can actually get married to a rich person, that generates automatic net worth and negative likelihood of divorce.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2019, 11:22 PM   #63
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Buying an 800 grand watch in today’s world is unacceptable. Anyone pretending to think otherwise isn’t really thinking.
So who are you?? The judge of the world?Are you prepared to be judged the same way ?? Do you have a watch that costs more than 100 bucks ?? For someone who calls himself “preacher” many would say that’s a terrible testimony.
Don’t know what Bible you read, but there is little that harms the cause of Christ
Than legalism and rules and regulations! Christ died to set us free from rules and
Such things in His fulfillment of the law. A person who has Truly trusted Him is called to a higher standard of loving others even more than ourselves and loving God will all we are. That’s why in Paul’s letter to the Romans he admonishes us that others will stand or fall before God , not fallen man. He tells us “let each man decide in his own mind” relative to peripheral issues . Dear friend, the unkindness you show in hypocritical judgements repel others and does nothing to attract others to the church .I humbly hope you will rethink your opinion. James in San Antonio
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2019, 12:44 AM   #64
MadSpaniard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Buying an 800 grand watch in today’s world is unacceptable. Anyone pretending to think otherwise isn’t really thinking.
As I posted earlier, one could argue the owner of that $800k watch is guilty of poor taste for buying such a fugly-ass gaudy watch :-). (Ninja: this statement is NOT directed at you my dude, your RMs are absolutely nothing like THIS particular RM!)

But that's neither here nor there...it's kind of irrelevant, actually.

@Preacher: the question is, where do you draw the line?

I mean, I could make a compelling argument that any Patek watch, even the entry-level $20k Calatrava, is totally absurd. There's really no way to justify it: it's not that hard to make, no mystery involved, and it certainly doesn't cost anywhere near $20k to produce. It doesn't even keep very good time, truth be told - that's a myth we tell ourselves and we justify it with "look at the craftsmanship and complexity". The reality is any computer chip is vastly more complicated than any wristwatch (they're just produced at a volume that spreads the development cost). But even at low volume like the entry-level Patek, $20k is ridiculous for what it is, if you think about it on an ABSOLUTE level.

Yet here we are, tripping over ourselves to own Pateks. Or to own any other luxury watch or luxury product, for that matter.

The answer is, it's all RELATIVE. $20k (or $800k) can seem like a ton of money for a watch or it can seem a drop in the bucket, depending on the economic level you're living in. The people spending $800k on that RM probably view it as a rounding error in their overall net worth. And that's just fine: they have the money, it makes them happy, it doesn't harm anyone else...so why not?

BTW, if you really want to see what ridiculous looks like, keep an eye on the modern art market. The people paying $60M+ for a Jeff Koons dog or elephant statue or $25M+ for a Christopher Wool stencil painting may be the same ones buying that iced-out RM for $800k.

It's all relative. There's no harm. Rock on.
MadSpaniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2019, 01:40 AM   #65
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Quote:
You seriously need to get over yourself.
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 05:24 AM   #66
Preacher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by lig View Post
You seriously need to get over yourself.
Do you mean grab my left foot in my right hand and jump through the hoop with my right leg?
Old 16 October 2019, 11:30 PM   #67
greggsiam
"TRF" Member

Where could anyone possibly fence that watch? Anyone with the money to buy a 800k watch I would think isn't going to want to buy a stolen one. It's not something that you can just sell, the market is extremely limited.
greggsiam is offline   Reply With Quote