The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 1 May 2021, 06:57 AM   #1
58Rolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
rolex attitude

Is it true that Rolex is not helpful in keeping watches original, just in keeping them running?
58Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2021, 06:58 AM   #2
58Rolex
"TRF" Member

Which I guess is the point.
Old 1 May 2021, 07:02 AM   #3
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58Rolex View Post
Is it true that Rolex is not helpful in keeping watches original, just in keeping them running?
Yes. Bits are like service parts to an automobile to them.

Probably too much of an automotive analogy, but some service parts improve like twin lock to triple lock crowns. The new crowns are then fited. New bezel? If they run out of no hash 6204/6205 bezels use the newest 5508 one.... etc.
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2021, 08:53 AM   #4
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
For a period correct restoration of your 58 OP, do not use Rolex Service Center. Most likely they will not have period correct parts for your vintage 58 and will use whatever they do have that will fit. However, if you are in the LA area, specifically Beverly Hill, it is worth going to the service center and just having them take a look at it, then you can feel confident checking it off your list of options.
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2021, 10:51 AM   #5
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Once any of my Rolex warranties run out I would think twice about sending them anything.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2021, 11:07 AM   #6
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
The way to preserve collectible value is in the preservation of original parts. Rolex will remove them ans charge you a crapload. What I’m saying is that they will make you pay thousands to lose tens of thousands. No joke
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2021, 11:56 AM   #7
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58Rolex View Post
If u have something vintage and of value.....do not send it to Rolex
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2021, 11:39 PM   #8
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

I think there's a huge difference between making something functional, and making it look like new. I think the rub lies between whether or not a RSC will return the used parts back to you after a service. Some members have had good luck having them returned, some have not. I sent a vintage item (it goes bang) back to the factory for an overhaul and refinishing. I received a letter saying that they would not work on it unless they were allowed to install a safety upgrade kit. They insured that the old items were returned. I went ahead and had them do the work. I had a like new item returned which functioned like new, AND had the old parts returned for collector purposes.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2021, 02:05 AM   #9
58Rolex
"TRF" Member

I have my father's 58 Oyster Perpetual. Nothing fancy, but a watch I'd like to wear more often.
Back in the 80's I had the watch dial 'cleaned’, and the watch serviced. Should have had my head examined instead. Turns out the dial was cleaned in away that that took off the small black type, which was then (I guess) screened on again. The word SWISS was left off! Also the cool pointy hands were swapped for the squared-end newer hands, and now the newer minute hand is loose.
I need to find a person who can replace the hands with pointy ones and give it a service for reasonable money. The most recent estimate I got in Ohio, where I now live, was about 1500, and they would send it to Rolex for the servicing and take months, don’t think they would even swap the hands- probably not. I can do without the SWISS on the dial, but would like a recommendation in the states for the hands and service. The hands don't even need to be original Rolex, just want the old look back. Any advice would be very welcome.
Old 2 May 2021, 02:05 AM   #10
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Rolex is in business to sell new watches - which they do very well.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2021, 07:54 AM   #11
Orangeface
"TRF" Member

Watch: No-Date Sub
If you look through the perspective of an RSC, using "old" parts that can break or cause problems defeats their objective of returning your watch to you with many more years of flawless service. They will take no chances.

Plenty of quality service shops out there willing to do exactly what you want and return your old parts.
Orangeface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2021, 09:36 PM   #12
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Easy. RSC for modern (e.g., Sub C), independent for vintage (e.g., 1680).

Rolex will do well with your modern but destroy your vintage.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote