The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 12 February 2018, 10:42 AM   #1
pilotjim
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I Received a Potential Offer

I'm new to selling on this site, so I don't have any feedback or references as of yet. But I guess you have to start somewhere, right?

I received an inquiry for my first listing (a datejust). The potential buyer posted the following:

"Hi!

I'm interested in buying this watch. I had a few questions. I plan on paying through paypal, but what is your return policy as I would like to get this authenticated? Also do you have all the watch links in case I would need to get this sized? Also, the pictures on the actual post aren't visible, so I was looking at the pictures on your mywatchmart posting, can you confirm that this is the same watch?

Thanks,

Julian"

This poster joined the TRF over a year ago and has no posts. I'm not sure how to feel about this potential transaction. I know there are scams where paypal is used to hurt the seller.

The site he referred to appears to be a clearinghouse for watches for sale on various other sites.

What do you think?
pilotjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 11:09 AM   #2
newbee1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex day date
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotjim View Post
I'm new to selling on this site, so I don't have any feedback or references as of yet. But I guess you have to start somewhere, right?

I received an inquiry for my first listing (a datejust). The potential buyer posted the following:

"Hi!

I'm interested in buying this watch. I had a few questions. I plan on paying through paypal, but what is your return policy as I would like to get this authenticated? Also do you have all the watch links in case I would need to get this sized? Also, the pictures on the actual post aren't visible, so I was looking at the pictures on your mywatchmart posting, can you confirm that this is the same watch?

Thanks,

Julian"

This poster joined the TRF over a year ago and has no posts. I'm not sure how to feel about this potential transaction. I know there are scams where paypal is used to hurt the seller.

The site he referred to appears to be a clearinghouse for watches for sale on various other sites.

What do you think?

From your post it seems like you’re not comfortable with this offer/potential buyer. If I were you, I’d follow my hunch.

Now rationally thinking, PayPal is a safer method to deal. When I sell my high end items on eBay ( never bought or sold on TRF yet as I’m fairly new as well), I let buyers know that I videotape packaging all the items at the post office so scammers are discouraged to ‘bait and switch’. Still this method doesn’t guarantee anything. A Rolex watch is a very expensive item and I’ll be very very very careful in dealing with anyone new.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
newbee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 05:10 PM   #3
MonBK
Banned

Name him and stay away.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 05:30 PM   #4
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
"This poster joined the TRF over a year ago and has no posts."

I always get this type of a reply whenever I list a watch. Sorry, no go.

As a seller, establish the criteria for a buyer you're comfortable dealing with and stick with your guts. If you want to deal with local members who can do the transaction in person, then be it. Plenty of people lost $ on scams. Do not join that club.
Old 12 February 2018, 10:00 PM   #5
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Pass

Old 12 February 2018, 10:01 PM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’d move on
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 10:33 PM   #7
pilotjim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Name him and stay away.
julianryanf
Old 12 February 2018, 10:40 PM   #8
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
julianryanf
Great, hopefully the mods will take care of him.
Old 12 February 2018, 11:57 PM   #9
peterssub
"TRF" Member

Sorry if this is a naive question- new to this forum and Rolex collecting so forgive me! The posts I have read on the forum to new buyers inevitably give the advice to buy from a trusted seller on here. I would like to get a collection together but if sellers are reluctant to deal with new collectors how do I go about buying on here? Buyers seem to take as much risk as sellers! I don't see anything wrong with the enquiry mentioned above from the prospective purchaser particularly as the Op says he has no record of selling. Genuine enquiry and sorry again if it appears naive.
peterssub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 12:03 AM   #10
Sprta
"TRF" Member

Instead of paypal have the buyer wire the money. As the seller you can choose payment method. And make sure the funds are deposited prior to sending the watch.
Sprta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 12:53 AM   #11
pilotjim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterssub View Post
Sorry if this is a naive question- new to this forum and Rolex collecting so forgive me! The posts I have read on the forum to new buyers inevitably give the advice to buy from a trusted seller on here. I would like to get a collection together but if sellers are reluctant to deal with new collectors how do I go about buying on here? Buyers seem to take as much risk as sellers! I don't see anything wrong with the enquiry mentioned above from the prospective purchaser particularly as the Op says he has no record of selling. Genuine enquiry and sorry again if it appears naive.
Trusted sellers are probably not going to be reluctant to sell to you. I am new to selling here and would prefer to sell to someone with a more established presence.
Old 13 February 2018, 04:17 AM   #12
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I know some may shun not using PayPal as a buyer. But if I’m not 100% sure I can trust the buyer I’m not accepting PayPal under any circumstances. I’m okay losing the sale if that’s the case.

For me it all comes down to trust and how you prove that. Neither you or the buyer have a track record so it’s hard. But you as the seller ultimately get to dictate the terms.

As your feedback and reputation grows I’m sure many people will feel comfortable with a wire to you. Just as you may feel comfortable accepting PayPal if the buyer has a reputation to back up their credibility.

Old 13 February 2018, 04:42 AM   #13
pilotjim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
I know some may shun not using PayPal as a buyer. But if I’m not 100% sure I can trust the buyer I’m not accepting PayPal under any circumstances. I’m okay losing the sale if that’s the case.

For me it all comes down to trust and how you prove that. Neither you or the buyer have a track record so it’s hard. But you as the seller ultimately get to dictate the terms.

As your feedback and reputation grows I’m sure many people will feel comfortable with a wire to you. Just as you may feel comfortable accepting PayPal if the buyer has a reputation to back up their credibility.

Good advice....in fact all responses have been very helpful - thanks to all.
Old 13 February 2018, 07:34 AM   #14
DHISTORY
"TRF" Member

Watch: enthusiast
FaceTime or Skype with the buyer. Wait for the wire to hit. You can even ask to see his/her drivers license (only seems fair since you’ll be giving that person your contact info on your wire instructions). Then ship your item with full insurance.

The guy might be wanting to pay with a credit card. At any rate, trust your gut. Good luck.
DHISTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2018, 08:11 AM   #15
pilotjim
"TRF" Member

I wound up having a long conversation on the phone with the buyer and was able to verify a lot of important information (identity, location, etc.). Seems very legit, so I decided to do the transaction through paypal. I know there is always some risk, but I feel confident. Hopefully all will go well, and I will report back. Gotta start somewhere as a seller...
Old 14 February 2018, 08:21 AM   #16
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Keep us posted Jim.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2018, 08:25 AM   #17
MonBK
Banned

Any time a buyer says: "can you confirm that this is the same watch" and wants you to click on something it's 99,9% a scammer.

I wouldn't do it Jim and definitely not with Paypal.
Old 14 February 2018, 08:59 AM   #18
pilotjim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Any time a buyer says: "can you confirm that this is the same watch" and wants you to click on something it's 99,9% a scammer.

I wouldn't do it Jim and definitely not with Paypal.
You could be right, but I hope not.

There was no link, just a reference to a website. I googled it and it was a legitimate site. I appreciate the advice in any case.
Old 14 February 2018, 07:12 PM   #19
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
You could be right, but I hope not.

There was no link, just a reference to a website. I googled it and it was a legitimate site. I appreciate the advice in any case.
Ok, hopefully we won't see your crying post.
Old 14 February 2018, 07:50 PM   #20
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Not really sure what the perceived problem is w this buyer?? No prudent buyer imo would send a wire w funds to someone they don’t know and then hope the seller will send out the watch as agreed- he has no recourse if seller doesn’t. Or what if the piece is not as described or worse a fake?? Pay pal is imo a great solution , The buyer is protected and so is the seller. Relax , Jim , this transaction will be fine for both of you. James in San Antonio.
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2018, 10:46 PM   #21
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:

"Hi!

Thanks,

Julian"

What do you think?
I have to say after reading the potential buyers PM, he did nothing wrong. He asked normal questions and nothing was out of the ordinary. Now you need to do your research, and ask for references from him to cover your end. Many zero feedback members only lurk and don't post. As long as his references are strong and you feel comfortable, go for it.
I see you have talked to the buyer, and have proceeded with the transaction. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2018, 12:29 AM   #22
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I Received a Potential Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by james272 View Post
Not really sure what the perceived problem is w this buyer?? No prudent buyer imo would send a wire w funds to someone they don’t know and then hope the seller will send out the watch as agreed- he has no recourse if seller doesn’t. Or what if the piece is not as described or worse a fake?? Pay pal is imo a great solution , The buyer is protected and so is the seller. Relax , Jim , this transaction will be fine for both of you. James in San Antonio.

A seller has almost zero protection against a buyer under PayPal. The only instance in which this statement is untrue is if the seller has a long selling history with PayPal; in that case, his argument/word carries more weight. For the casual seller, PayPal is a buyer/scammer’s best friend. This is the reason most sellers with a good track record here and at other forums don’t accept it.

Edit to add: I’m not talking about the buyer or seller in this case; I know nothing of either of them. I’m merely speaking to the paypal aspect.

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2018, 01:53 AM   #23
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
there are very few "trusted sellers" that take paypal and with good reason
iliketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2018, 08:11 AM   #24
pilotjim
"TRF" Member

** UPDATE **

The transaction went very smoothly through paypal, and the buyer is very happy with the TT DJ and has left me a positive review on TRF.

Obviously, there can be exceptions at times, but this transaction worked out well, and I just wanted to update the thread. Thank you all for your input and help!
Old 17 February 2018, 08:55 AM   #25
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Thanks for the update Jim.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17