The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 3 March 2006, 02:05 AM   #1
Mort
"TRF" Member

Maurice Lacroix Phase Lune 1 year review

Hi Everyone,

I want to post my one year review on my TT Maurice Lacroix Phase Lune.

I bought this watch while I was on a cruise last year in Grand Cayman. I was purchased at Grand Swiss, a store just about a block from Kirk. I did not set out to buy a ML, as all I knew of the brand was just seeing them in some watch rags. I did know I wanted to buy a watch on my trip as a souviner. I have always wanted a watch that had a some complecations, but never found many that I really liked except from stuff that was out of my budget like JLC , Lange, GO, and a few others. It had to be all gold or two tone. Well I found it.

Specs:The watch is 38mm, automatic with triple date and moon phase. It has a 25 Jewel ML modified ETA Movement with both front and back sapphire crystals. The dial is 925 sterling with luminous hands and 6 & 12 Arabic numerals. The watch came with a tan Teju Lizard strap with buckle, which I replaced it with a heavy padded Hadley Roma Alligator strap with a folding deployment clasp. The fit and finish of this watch is top notch. It is built like watches that cost twice the price, and feels real good on the wrist. I get complements on it all the time.

Movement:I know as most of us here prefer watches like Rolex and other highend brands that have in house movements. I have been the same way, but I have to say this ETA movement has been very accurate and has not missed a beat. From me doing a simple regulating(using the US Atomic time site) the watch for over a year and not letting it ever run dead but once, the watch looses just a couple of seconds a week. That to me is pretty good. The only complaint would be the power reserve. The one time it went dead, I did not put it back on the winder when I switched watches for a day and a half and it was stopped. All my Rolex's and my vintage Omega stay running for the same amount of time when left off the winder, or wrist. That would be a problem with having to reset all the complecations if I let it die for a long period. Also the instructions tell you do not make any setting changes from 10:00 pm to 1:00 am.

End result: I have to say I love this watch and really like the brand in general. If I had to do it over again, and could afforded it, I would of gone for the all pink gold model. I would not have any problem buying another ML down the line. When I put this watch on as part of my most daily rotation, I sometimes end up wearing it for a week strait, just because I like it so much. ML's regulator watches are becoming more popular among watch collectors and I hope to get one down the line.

http://www.mauricelacroix.com/en/html/html_frameset.php

Last edited by Mort; 3 March 2006 at 02:09 AM..
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2006, 02:14 AM   #2
Mort
"TRF" Member

I cant seem to post the link to the shot I want, Sorry
Old 3 March 2006, 02:22 AM   #3
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Nice review, Mort. Thanks for sharing it with us
Old 3 March 2006, 02:37 AM   #4
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Good review, Mort....thanks!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2006, 03:02 AM   #5
bhrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS/WG DJ jubilee
thanks for the Info. I'm learning a lot form these post. appreciate it!
Old 3 March 2006, 03:38 AM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Great review and there is nothing wrong with ETA movements, they have been the power engine for many high end brands

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2006, 04:41 AM   #7
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Great review, Mort. I like the ML Lune. It's got the kind of complications I like, too. Congratulations on a fine piece.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2006, 08:35 AM   #8
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort
I cant seem to post the link to the shot I want, Sorry
The web page is based on frames, so direct linking is not possible......

Is this the watch?

If so, I'd be interested to know the price of the steel and gold models.....

Thanks.
Old 3 March 2006, 10:38 AM   #9
mailman
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Going from the website Al, that's what I think too. It's beautiful.
Old 4 March 2006, 02:38 AM   #10
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
The web page is based on frames, so direct linking is not possible......

Is this the watch?

If so, I'd be interested to know the price of the steel and gold models.....

Thanks.
Wow, that's a stunner! Kinda like Al's JLC. I too would like to know what it's list is.
Old 7 March 2006, 01:07 AM   #11
Mort
"TRF" Member

Yes thats the watch. Mine is two tone. It was priced pretty good. It had a $3400 list and I got it for $2800. If I had done my homework and did not care if I bought it from a non ML AD, I could of gotten for less. I have seen the all gold on the secondary market for around $4000 to $4200.

But buying from the AD gave me the real 2 year ML warranty and registration.

Like I said in my post, for the money, it is a lot of watch when you compaire it to other makes with the same features.
Old 28 March 2006, 12:38 PM   #12
High-Gear

That was a great review. I have a ML Les Classiques Moonphase. Not an auto, so the quartz makes accuracy testing a non issue. Seems to be a well made piece, and has a function where the chronometer doesn't always have to reset to zero. You can set it to a previous "lap" time and start timing from there. When you reset for say the next runner, it goes back to the previous time, not zero. Every thing I have heard about ML is great, even though they are not mainstream. For under a $1,000, I think it is a much better buy than some of the other brands abailible.
High-Gear is offline   Reply With Quote