The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 9 January 2021, 06:38 AM   #1
DOUBLE 0 SE7EN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer-PAM233
Icon20 The OEM Panerai Cashmere Strap

I’ve recently bought an oem cashmere strap. The AD says it is waterproof. Can I use it safely like the rubber strap during my swimming activities? The leather cashmere strap seems to be fragile and not so strong like the rubber one and makes me think it is not really suitable for water activities. What are your thoughts about that?
DOUBLE 0 SE7EN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 07:01 AM   #2
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726, 5212
The cashmere color strap is a wonderful strap

I believe it is the default strap on the 127/Fiddy. But I have had atleast two over the years and they are very fragile. Atleast when I purchased them the side of the straps did deteriote pretty quickly.

Simona Straps had a very similar but thicker version that I have in 26mm, but not sure if it still exists.
pdnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 08:36 AM   #3
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I wouldn’t get it wet. Technically, the leather straps can get wet if you let them dry properly but they will not look their best.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 07:56 PM   #4
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...me go broke
The OEM Panerai Cashmere Strap

Only leathers that have been treated with special chemicals are water resistant. Far as I know, no leather Panerai strap is. There are custom makers like Ted Su and Mario Paci that make waterproof leather straps. Look into the Paci Kodiak straps or the waterproof Swiss ammo straps by Ted Su.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Megalobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2021, 11:40 PM   #5
DOUBLE 0 SE7EN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer-PAM233
But in the panerai website it is stated that the cashmere is waterproof and can be used in diving activities..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalobyte View Post
Only leathers that have been treated with special chemicals are water resistant. Far as I know, no leather Panerai strap is. There are custom makers like Ted Su and Mario Paci that make waterproof leather straps. Look into the Paci Kodiak straps or the waterproof Swiss ammo straps by Ted Su.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
DOUBLE 0 SE7EN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2021, 11:27 AM   #6
JonaG
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...
As a rule, I generally try to avoid getting anything leather wet as it tends to lose its suppleness and distresses the colour. I’ve seen Panerai say some straps are water-proof but have not experienced them. I wonder if anyone ever treats their straps with leather shoe water repellent from say Mowbray?
Old 10 January 2021, 05:09 PM   #7
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

People on Paneristi have used it in water and it has held up.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2021, 04:45 AM   #8
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I purchased the OEM cashmere strap for my 372. It is identical to the strap that came stock with the 127.

Panerai straps are not all finished the same and have varying levels of water resistance. The JV strap, for example, is very easily ruined with water exposure. You have to be very careful getting it wet. The cashmere strap, in contrast, is extremely water resistant. I probably would not wear it in water for an extended period of time as I am sure prolonged exposure would eventually stiffen and crack the material, but you can easily submerge the strap for short periods of time with almost no consequence to the finish.

I would never wear any leather strap for water sports. The cashmere strap is very expensive and not worth the potential damage to it. It isn’t nearly as pliable as you might think however.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote