The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 27 January 2012, 02:19 AM   #1
justlurking
"TRF" Member

Icon7 Daytona advice please! (ss vs. rose gold)

Hello all! I've been in the market for a watch for a while and have been lurking as a silent party for a while but finally decided to join in in all the fun

I'm in the market for a new watch, I been drooling over the Daytona and when I went to an AD yesterday and tried it on.. "it" clicked and I knew this was "the one".

The only problem I have now is which one is the one.. I was initially leaning toward the SS with white face due to it's practicality and (in all honesty) affordability, but I tried on the all rose gold watch in store and... nearly creamed myself So now I'm in a situation where I would be perfectly fine and happy with the ss, but my heart sings for the rg.. which also happens to be a big chunk of change more.

The third (and unspoken) option is to see what new Daytonas are revealed this year... I loved the rose gold watch w/ ceramic bezel released last year but don't want a leather strap. I've heard some people chatting about new daytonas (possibly with a ceramic bezel?) and for someone as notoriously clumsy as I am, anything more scratch-resistant would be a plus.

While currently I'm leaning toward the rose gold my key concerns have to do with practicality and (honestly) cost. I'm a 25 year old female who works in a conservative and corporate setting (full biz suit), and while the rose gold is much subtler than yellow gold, I'm not 100% sure I could get away with wearing it every day. Also, if I wear a rose gold watch in mexico (for vacation) am i going to get my hand cut off for my watch? O_O And finally while I've been saving up for a watch for a while and definitely have the bank for it, it is quite a hefty hunk of money out of the savings that I can't easily justify unless I tell myself that (1) I'll wear it forever and (2) buying a SS would be a waste bc I'll just end up buying the RG 5 years from now anyway.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
justlurking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2012, 03:44 AM   #2
RADMD3
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona GMTII DJII
Tough decision... It sounds like your heart is set on the everrose Daytona. Despite it maybe being too blingy, I think with a
Long sleeve shirt/suit, it will be partially concealed and not
Out there like a large gold necklace. You can then roll up the sleeves when you want to show it =)

If it does not break the bank and you have your savings reserve up to date, I would say get the gold Daytona.

Having said that i personally have the ss Daytona and love it. Great all occasion watch for dress, casual and sport. Great classic look but not as elegant as the gold.

You can't go wrong with either Daytona.
RADMD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2012, 09:31 AM   #3
snoopy

Watch: Submariner
i love rose gold :) but i m a girl
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2012, 04:41 PM   #4
Accuphase123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116619LB
Try White 18K Gold. It is quietly shine, outstanding and stands the time. All other Rolex excite you for a while (or longer while) whilst WG Daytona and Submariner are truly timeless master piece. You won't regret to go for it. I only regret buying it too late and bear the price rise.
Accuphase123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2012, 01:27 AM   #5
Harryo

Watch: 1963 GMT
As a girl I love all the Daytonas, every single one of them, they are classic, versatile and just sexy. Sadly I do not own one but if I could shell out for one, it would deffo be in gold. Probably in the rose gold because it is a bit softer than the yellow. White gold has never done that much for me personally but it is an individual thing and can look smoking on a lot of people. Are you ok with it getting scratched and scuffed if it is in gold? As for the "safety" issues of wearing a gold Daytona, well a steel Daytona is still a super desirable watch too and I don't know whether I'd feel comfortable wearing a Rolex just anywhere. I actually live and work in Tokyo so safety is so not an issue but if I am traveling somewhere that I think my personal safety might be compromised by having a Rolex on my wrist, well I just leave it at home and wear a Seiko instead....Correct me if I am wrong but Daytonas seem to hold their value well so you might consider a SS for now and trade up to a rose gold if you feel the urge later? Wow, what a fantastic position to be in-hope you enjoy the ride! All the best, Harriet
Harryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2012, 06:18 PM   #6
Accuphase123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116619LB
Agree very much with Harriet. It is more a security issue with lady when wearing eye-catching Golden watches and even for men sometimes. In Hong Kong where our streets are as safe as Tokyo but it is not recommendable to wear a gold Rolex on side streets or at late hours.

Secondly, white golden has depth and is more preferable than yellow gold (and rose) and is more acceptable by younger generation. I had been seriously considering a Rose Gold Daytona but eventually even up buying a WG Submariner (as I have serveral Daytona already ranging from gold-SS to WG). In terms of security, a 2-tone Daytona is more middle of the road, although it is truly better by Gold or WG one in terms of value, wearing feel and beauty.
Accuphase123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2012, 07:18 PM   #7
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Welcome to the Forum.

Where did you all come from?

Great advice.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2012, 12:56 PM   #8
Anna Tessa

i love the new rose gold personally and it gives a fresh look to a classic, but you can't go wrong with the steel, it always looks good.
Anna Tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2012, 03:52 PM   #9
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
You can't go wrong with the SS Daytona but the everose is stunning and it looks fantastic on women. I love the new gold/ceramic but on a strap, it look setter on a man's wrist. If you want to try on my SS, let me know. I live in the City and can meet you at the AD so you can compare side by side.

The nice thing about the Daytona is that it doesn't scream Rolex when you want to be discreet. When you want to to show, it shows!

My vote is for everose. Post pics of whatever you choose.
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2012, 02:39 PM   #10
omegabenz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV, o2531.80
I really like the Everose, and if you really like it you should just go for it. Do it once and do it right! There is actually one that was just listed here on TRF.
omegabenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2012, 12:25 AM   #11
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Welcome to TRF.

All the ones you have mentioned are very nice. Ultimately you have to make up your mind as to which one you really want. Generally when I am conflicted I just put it aside for awhile and contimplate it from time to time. Either way you go you can't go wrong with the choices you have mentioned.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2012, 02:09 PM   #12
pnsji
"TRF" Member

I saw the rose gold with black ceramic bezel. It is a beauty!
You should ask the store to order you the new rose gold.
pnsji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2012, 03:16 PM   #13
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
Of theses two..The SS one!

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2012, 01:20 AM   #14
Sparrky
"TRF" Member

Watch: ExpII/GMT/DJ II
I looked at both this week and liked the ss version with a black dial better. So I .... Got one. Enjoy!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?fdk1m2
Sparrky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2012, 01:41 PM   #15
nick c
Banned

rose gold
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2012, 02:17 PM   #16
liminc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Just close your eyes and grab one. You can't go wrong.
liminc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2012, 11:13 PM   #17
Puffy
"TRF" Member

sounds like you've made your mind up AND you only live once so go off and get it!

but, i'd hit up some of the sellers on TRF first to see if a better deal can be had.

should you for whatever reason decide to sell the RG Daytona be prepared to take a bit of a hit as precious metal doesn't trade well once worn
Old 2 March 2012, 03:26 AM   #18
skeetshooter

Watch: Serti Sub
The rose gold should always command more if you sell/trade. Look at other high line watches such as Lange and see the rose gold options.

THe best
skeetshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2012, 01:19 AM   #19
nim

Watch: cosmograph daytona
White dial on ss, best daytona
nim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2012, 11:35 AM   #20
spider boy
"TRF" Member

It really depends on what age you are and what occasion you wear it on . Gold watches tend bring on the "wow" factor on first impression (speaking of my experience) this is because i dont have alot of gold watches and especially on new models they look more fresh comparing to the older models like the daytona which you might have already seen them so many times.
I bought a yatchmaster 2 yellow gold when it first came out. And to be honest to you, i don't wear it much because its so hard to match on my clothes and beside it's abit over the top (too bling-bling). But my SS white dial daytona never had this problem . Everything single time i put it on my wrist, it put a smile on my face and i could never get bored with ss . And bare in mind , my gold watches and white gold watches scratches so easily and its so hard to maintain.

Therefore, for me .. ss daytona all the time!!. And if you have the extra cash for a gold one, do all the chrono purist for a favour... get the patek phillipe 5711 or 5712/1a ! =0
spider boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2012, 11:49 AM   #21
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
i love rose gold :) but i m a girl
Ouch.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2012, 12:35 PM   #22
Shade
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of 'em..
The everrose daytone is a great selection, but I can't imagine wearing it every day though... :)

So you'd have to ask yourself that. :)

http://rolexforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=33241&dateline=128831  6747

Plus PAM 233, 232, 249 & PAM 417.
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2012, 11:33 PM   #23
kkim1020
"TRF" Member

SS is more of an everyday, and is much easier to sell if you're planning on reselling it in the future.
kkim1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2012, 12:20 AM   #24
kcmo
"TRF" Member

Any update from the OP?
kcmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2012, 02:43 AM   #25
lkirchner

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlurking View Post
Hello all! I've been in the market for a watch for a while and have been lurking as a silent party for a while but finally decided to join in in all the fun

I'm in the market for a new watch, I been drooling over the Daytona and when I went to an AD yesterday and tried it on.. "it" clicked and I knew this was "the one".

The only problem I have now is which one is the one.. I was initially leaning toward the SS with white face due to it's practicality and (in all honesty) affordability, but I tried on the all rose gold watch in store and... nearly creamed myself So now I'm in a situation where I would be perfectly fine and happy with the ss, but my heart sings for the rg.. which also happens to be a big chunk of change more.

The third (and unspoken) option is to see what new Daytonas are revealed this year... I loved the rose gold watch w/ ceramic bezel released last year but don't want a leather strap. I've heard some people chatting about new daytonas (possibly with a ceramic bezel?) and for someone as notoriously clumsy as I am, anything more scratch-resistant would be a plus.

While currently I'm leaning toward the rose gold my key concerns have to do with practicality and (honestly) cost. I'm a 25 year old female who works in a conservative and corporate setting (full biz suit), and while the rose gold is much subtler than yellow gold, I'm not 100% sure I could get away with wearing it every day. Also, if I wear a rose gold watch in mexico (for vacation) am i going to get my hand cut off for my watch? O_O And finally while I've been saving up for a watch for a while and definitely have the bank for it, it is quite a hefty hunk of money out of the savings that I can't easily justify unless I tell myself that (1) I'll wear it forever and (2) buying a SS would be a waste bc I'll just end up buying the RG 5 years from now anyway.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
I have both the SS and the ever rose(pink face) and use them as everyday watches. The everrose is more dressy but not too over the top. Other posts have stated that the gold scrtaches easier than the SS but I find them to be about equal especially the clasps.
lkirchner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2012, 06:00 AM   #26
henryjacobs
Banned

Love the rose gold, you can find some on worldofwatches.com also.
henryjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2012, 01:58 AM   #27
franklin
"TRF" Member

I think you need to get the rose gold.
franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2012, 01:50 PM   #28
sgrossma
2024 Pledge Member

Rose - if you can get it without worrying too much about the price. Absolutely stunning.
sgrossma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2012, 01:46 PM   #29
caryyee
"TRF" Member

Rose ... can the pic of my Rose convince you???

caryyee is offline   Reply With Quote