The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 19 May 2014, 02:21 PM   #1
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
Watch winder recommendation wanted

Ok ok, I know this is a controversial topic. I've decided that I want a Winder as i plan on switched back and forth between 2 watches... one a GMT that I simply don't feel like setting over and over again. I seek solid recommendations for which is best (or perhaps the lesser of two evils if winders aren't your thing).

I'm only looking for a single winder and I'd rather not break the bank. Between Orbita and Wolf does anyone have a preference? If so why? Also is there another brand I should look into? Lastly, what types of specifications should I look for in a winder?

Thanks all! Much appreciate your guidance!

@true_patina
@true.dome
007Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2014, 02:58 PM   #2
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

I'm not a winder guy but to each his own. I'm pretty sure one of the two brands you mentioned has a single winder that is stackable so you can add units as your collection grows. I'm sure there's a thread here so you'll find it with a little bit of searching. Might be a good start for you.

Hope this helps.
Old 19 May 2014, 03:45 PM   #3
gmlomas
Banned

Watch: IWC, PAM, Rolex
I would not get one
gmlomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2014, 02:16 AM   #4
Sublover2166
Banned

Watch: Ol'Bluesy & Hulk
Bought this Eilux a few weeks ago from Quality tyme.net. Very nice quality for a reasonable price. Exterior is genuine black leather. It will run for almost a year on 2 D batteries so you can store it in a safe if desired. It is completely silent when running. So far I love it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140504_214636.jpg (49.4 KB, 255 views)
Sublover2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2014, 05:18 PM   #5
sss205
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub.
Wolf

Wolf Winders make some really great products. I own a couple of their winders and have had them both over a year and they've held up quite well.
sss205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2014, 11:11 PM   #6
kaseri
"TRF" Member

I have personal experience with the Orbita Rotorwind and highly recommend them. The Orbita Rotorwind is virtually silent.
kaseri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2014, 03:57 AM   #7
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Helpful info! Thanks! How do you know how to "set" the winders (i.e. # of rotations/day etc.?)

@true_patina
@true.dome
Old 23 May 2014, 05:28 AM   #8
Sublover2166
Banned

The Eilux is set at 900 rotations per day. It runs for 10 minutes every 2 hours I believe. There are 2 mini switches which let you set each side for either clockwise or counter clockwise or both directions. Best of all with shipping the total price was less than 360 dollars. The quality is suprisingly great for the price. You can spend thousands on some if you wish but not me.
Old 23 May 2014, 06:13 AM   #9
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublover2166 View Post
The Eilux is set at 900 rotations per day. It runs for 10 minutes every 2 hours I believe. There are 2 mini switches which let you set each side for either clockwise or counter clockwise or both directions. Best of all with shipping the total price was less than 360 dollars. The quality is suprisingly great for the price. You can spend thousands on some if you wish but not me.

Thanks for this info. How many watches can you put on it at once?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

@true_patina
@true.dome
Old 23 May 2014, 11:27 AM   #10
Sublover2166
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Sub View Post
Thanks for this info. How many watches can you put on it at once?

They make a winder for one, two or three watches. Mine is the two, for both my Subs
Old 23 May 2014, 02:23 PM   #11
Perrinyanna
"TRF" Member

check out MTE winders or the Eilux brand for me they are good value for money and serves the purpose well.
Perrinyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2014, 03:34 PM   #12
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Thanks I'll look into them!

@true_patina
@true.dome
Old 27 May 2014, 11:39 AM   #13
mdavidson217
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmlomas View Post
I would not get one
why not get one
mdavidson217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2014, 11:59 AM   #14
Evo6
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR55131675BB58
Wolfs are great! Stay away from Accuratic on Amazon, cheap and loud and they turn off if the power goes out for even a second.
Evo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2014, 12:01 PM   #15
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavidson217 View Post
why not get one
For me it's because I prefer to roll my own. In my view a winder is a convenience and nothing more and I'm not the least bit inconvenienced by winding/setting my watches. I rather enjoy the interaction, actually. And my wear habits are such that my watches get significant downtime between wearings (I usually only rotate every couple/three weeks) so my watches definitely experience less wear by remaining idle when not on my wrist.

If I had 2-3 watches and rotated daily then they would all mostly be be running anyway (unless I hacked them) so it probably wouldn't make much difference in wear. I can see where in this case the convenience might be a bigger factor to some - either the watch of the day is at the bottom of its reserve so you have to wind it, or its stopped in the last few hours before putting it on so you're having to set it every single day. Still wouldn't bother me though.

But as I said before, to each his own. This is just where I'm at with it.
Old 27 May 2014, 01:49 PM   #16
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
For me it's because I prefer to roll my own. In my view a winder is a convenience and nothing more and I'm not the least bit inconvenienced by winding/setting my watches. I rather enjoy the interaction, actually. And my wear habits are such that my watches get significant downtime between wearings (I usually only rotate every couple/three weeks) so my watches definitely experience less wear by remaining idle when not on my wrist.

If I had 2-3 watches and rotated daily then they would all mostly be be running anyway (unless I hacked them) so it probably wouldn't make much difference in wear. I can see where in this case the convenience might be a bigger factor to some - either the watch of the day is at the bottom of its reserve so you have to wind it, or its stopped in the last few hours before putting it on so you're having to set it every single day. Still wouldn't bother me though.

But as I said before, to each his own. This is just where I'm at with it.

I had been alternating between 2-3 watches every day or two for a few months a while back and have to say, beyond the inconvenience of always having to readjust the power reserve (if they were still running) constantly screwing and unscrewing the crown and winding put undo stress on those parts. Within sever months the winding on my sub went from smooth as silk to rough.

I agree completely that if your watch will be sitting for a matter of weeks at a time unused its probably better to let it sit than put in on a winder, but otherwise I'm more and more becoming a proponent of the winder, especially for watches with complications like the GMT. Just my two cents.

@true_patina
@true.dome
Old 27 May 2014, 02:03 PM   #17
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I had been alternating between 2-3 watches every day or two for a few months a while back and have to say, beyond the inconvenience of always having to readjust the power reserve (if they were still running) constantly screwing and unscrewing the crown and winding put undo stress on those parts. Within sever months the winding on my sub went from smooth as silk to rough.

I agree completely that if your watch will be sitting for a matter of weeks at a time unused its probably better to let it sit than put in on a winder, but otherwise I'm more and more becoming a proponent of the winder, especially for watches with complications like the GMT. Just my two cents.
My GMT doesn't bother me at all to set but hey, I don't like mushrooms and some people love 'em.

Funny about the winding stem/crown. I had my Sub sit idle for an extended time in safe deposit and when I went to wear it there were problems with the crown/stem. My watchmaker (a CMW21 and Rolex certified) told me it happened from NON-use.

I suppose the moral is Rolex ownership should be an enjoyable experience. If you hate having to wind/set it you are probably a candidate for a winder. If it doesn't bother you or you actually enjoy play time, why get one?

Follow your bliss.
Old 27 May 2014, 02:21 PM   #18
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My GMT doesn't bother me at all to set but hey, I don't like mushrooms and some people love 'em.

Funny about the winding stem/crown. I had my Sub sit idle for an extended time in safe deposit and when I went to wear it there were problems with the crown/stem. My watchmaker (a CMW21 and Rolex certified) told me it happened from NON-use.

I suppose the moral is Rolex ownership should be an enjoyable experience. If you hate having to wind/set it you are probably a candidate for a winder. If it doesn't bother you or you actually enjoy play time, why get one?

Follow your bliss.

Interesting about the winding getting rough from non-use. Do you remember about how long was it sitting without use for? Another thing that makes me nervous about setting the time etc. is that (especially on newer watches) it take a bit of force to pull the crown out to the last position... I'm always worried I might pull a little too hard and mess something up. I'm probably overthinking but then these are very small parts in there with very fine tolerances... perhaps my hypochondriasis is not fully undue.

@true_patina
@true.dome
Old 27 May 2014, 02:48 PM   #19
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Interesting about the winding getting rough from non-use. Do you remember about how long was it sitting without use for? Another thing that makes me nervous about setting the time etc. is that (especially on newer watches) it take a bit of force to pull the crown out to the last position... I'm always worried I might pull a little too hard and mess something up. I'm probably overthinking but then these are very small parts in there with very fine tolerances... perhaps my hypochondriasis is not fully undue.
It was well over a year, probably 2+. And it didn't simply get rough. What happened was I couldn't set the date, the mechanism wouldn't engage and the date wheel wouldn't turn - the crown just turned freely without moving the date. Same problem intermittently with setting the time. Had it serviced and that's when the watchmaker told me the crown needs to be used.

Obviously, YMMV, but this was my experience. In any event, it's not why I wind and set my watches, but because of this I'm not afraid to use the crown regularly. Given your experience I understand your reluctance but I don't think it's a common problem. That's what the crown is designed for. Watches have been wound on a daily basis for 100+ years.
Old 29 May 2014, 03:09 PM   #20
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It was well over a year, probably 2+. And it didn't simply get rough. What happened was I couldn't set the date, the mechanism wouldn't engage and the date wheel wouldn't turn - the crown just turned freely without moving the date. Same problem intermittently with setting the time. Had it serviced and that's when the watchmaker told me the crown needs to be used.

Obviously, YMMV, but this was my experience. In any event, it's not why I wind and set my watches, but because of this I'm not afraid to use the crown regularly. Given your experience I understand your reluctance but I don't think it's a common problem. That's what the crown is designed for. Watches have been wound on a daily basis for 100+ years.

That's very interesting. Though I must say mechanically I'm having a hard time understanding the rational behind what your watchmaker told you. Use should equal wear but not non-use... Especially parts where friction is concerned. But then maybe using the crown here and there keeps the lubricants more active... Curious indeed. Thanks for sharing :)

@true_patina
@true.dome
Old 29 May 2014, 04:01 PM   #21
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's very interesting. Though I must say mechanically I'm having a hard time understanding the rational behind what your watchmaker told you. Use should equal wear but not non-use... Especially parts where friction is concerned. But then maybe using the crown here and there keeps the lubricants more active... Curious indeed. Thanks for sharing :)
Yeah, not sure I understand it either, but that's what I was told. And the watch operated fine when I put it away, and it didn't when I went to use it again so something about it going unused happened that obviously wasn't wear. I've since learned here it's a good idea to wind a stored watch every month or two for the reason you mentioned - to keep the oils circulating.