The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 24 September 2018, 02:42 AM   #1
jvacc
"TRF" Member

Why used a trusted seller?

Hello - I will be selling my Rolex (withholding model so do not appear to be soliciting) to purchase a different Rolex (again withholding model). Confused about the best way to go about this process (want to buy used).

Its commonly said in this forum to buy the seller rather than the watch. However - there are examples in this forum of people that have purchased from a trusted seller only to discover there are MAJOR flaws with the Rolex that would have been discovered with basic checks. Sure - the trusted seller sorts out the issue when its discovered by the buyer, but most sellers will do this anyway - so what is the value add from the trusted seller?

Specifically does anyone have any info on:
- How do Trusted Sellers inspect the Rolex Watches before listing them for sale? Do they simply polish the watch and sell, or do they open the case and ensure all parts in good working order/authentic? Do they check water resistance, accuracy, functionality and accurate condition?
- What is the reassurance one receives when buying from a "Trusted Seller"?
- Should I still get the Rolex thoroughly inspected by a 3rd party or do the Trusted Sellers go through thorough checks.

Also - I am located in London, UK - but all the Trusted Sellers I have found are in the USA. I have also contacted some of the Trusted USA sellers and they seem willing to buy my watch without any inspection.

Finally - how is one meant to tell how many times a watch has been polished? The used 114270s are all polished - so its really hard to understand what kind of condition these watches are in and how much use they have had.

Just trying to understand how to properly buy a used Rolex, as I purchased my first piece via Heathrow T5 brand new - bit scary trying to buy used properly
jvacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2018, 02:52 AM   #2
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Have a chat with Watchfinder

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2018, 03:17 AM   #3
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
If you're hunting for the lowest possible price and purchase one from a 'trusted seller' and aren't pleased with the results, then IMHO they aren't truly 'trusted sellers'. I only know of a handful of 'trust sellers' I would personally trust. And I've only dealt with 2 of them. And I know first hand, they don't pass off pre-owned in any sort of conditions you speak of. If anything, any BNIB has been just that, any unworn has been just that, and any pre-owned under 'excellent condition' have been mint in all respects. So avoid making assumptions, if you buy right, you get right. If you're looking for the best deal you'll probably get burned.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2018, 03:32 AM   #4
Bladeshot

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
I won’t speak for how TS inspect a watch, but I will say that my experience with some commonly known TS have all been positive. No problems. Neither have I ever had an issue with a private seller or buyer. I like to trade a lot. My collection changes many times per year. I just try to break even while chasing the “next shiny thing” that catches my attention.

Make some phone calls, talk to some of the TS and ask them your questions. They can speak to your concerns. I was incredibly nervous sending a watch or wiring money when I began my journey on this hobby. Now, I know many TS and I have complete confidence in them and the watches they sell me, or the process of buying from me when I want to trade.

Some folks I have complete confidence in include: AU 911tt, Springer, SohAIS, OCwatch, DSW, Alux, and there are others. Research feedback under “who’s who” as you consider TS.

And remember, NO ONE except the original purchaser can tell you if a watch has been polished or. It. When you see “unpolished” in the conditions, understand that unless someone has had custody for the life of the watch they cannot speak to its history. When I see “unpolished” I take it to mean that the watch was not polished by the current owner/seller. I don’t even use the word in my process. You will see me describe something as “not polished by me.” That’s all one can say. Hope you get some good feedback from others. And pick up the phone and call some TS. The ones I know are great, and I understand how it feels getting started.🤙

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24 September 2018, 03:37 AM   #5
jvacc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
If you're hunting for the lowest possible price and purchase one from a 'trusted seller' and aren't pleased with the results, then IMHO they aren't truly 'trusted sellers'. I only know of a handful of 'trust sellers' I would personally trust. And I've only dealt with 2 of them. And I know first hand, they don't pass off pre-owned in any sort of conditions you speak of. If anything, any BNIB has been just that, any unworn has been just that, and any pre-owned under 'excellent condition' have been mint in all respects. So avoid making assumptions, if you buy right, you get right. If you're looking for the best deal you'll probably get burned.
Hi Laszlo - I didn't mention in my post that I am looking for a low price. In fact - I am happy to pay extra money if it ensures the watch is in good condition. As mentioned I want a Rolex that is no longer in production - otherwise I would be more comfortable to buy new.

You mention you trust the sellers - but you do not specify the checks they carry out. For example - when a watch is "mint" in all respects - how is this defined? Is the case opened and inspected by the sellers you use?
Old 24 September 2018, 03:42 AM   #6
jvacc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladeshot View Post
I won’t speak for how TS inspect a watch, but I will say that my experience with some commonly known TS have all been positive. No problems. Neither have I ever had an issue with a private seller or buyer. I like to trade a lot. My collection changes many times per year. I just try to break even while chasing the “next shiny thing” that catches my attention.

Make some phone calls, talk to some of the TS and ask them your questions. They can speak to your concerns. I was incredibly nervous sending a watch or wiring money when I began my journey on this hobby. Now, I know many TS and I have complete confidence in them and the watches they sell me, or the process of buying from me when I want to trade.

Some folks I have complete confidence in include: AU 911tt, Springer, SohAIS, OCwatch, DSW, Alux, and there are others. Research feedback under “who’s who” as you consider TS.

And remember, NO ONE except the original purchaser can tell you if a watch has been polished or. It. When you see “unpolished” in the conditions, understand that unless someone has had custody for the life of the watch they cannot speak to its history. When I see “unpolished” I take it to mean that the watch was not polished by the current owner/seller. I don’t even use the word in my process. You will see me describe something as “not polished by me.” That’s all one can say. Hope you get some good feedback from others. And pick up the phone and call some TS. The ones I know are great, and I understand how it feels getting started.🤙

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great advice - thank you. I'll check out the TS sellers you mention and make some calls. I only wish I was US based, as from London it may be tricky dealing with US based TS (due to import duties UK side).

I totally agree re Unpolished (although my watch can be sold as such as i am the only owner).
Old 24 September 2018, 04:09 AM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
TRF does not rank or list "Trusted Sellers", but we do allow Member Sellers.

Nobody knows what the member seller does to inspect the watch or verify the watch, if at all.

We do provide a Buyers/Sellers Board where members can research sellers, then the member can contact a seller and ask those questions personally until satisfied with both the answers and that vendor.

TRF is not going to be a middleman in transactions but we do strive to make TRF a scam-free environment. That doesn't mean that every watch will be a mint example.
Old 24 September 2018, 04:20 AM   #8
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvacc View Post

You mention you trust the sellers - but you do not specify the checks they carry out. For example - when a watch is "mint" in all respects - how is this defined? Is the case opened and inspected by the sellers you use?

All sellers open a watch they buy or take in trade. You should know why, right? It’s the only way to verify the movement isn’t some replica.

The word “mint” isn’t a standardized watchmaking term. Nor is unpolished, untouched, original, running strong, etc.

The thing about the resale marketplace is this: Trusted Sellers are not Perfect Sellers. The difference to the buyer is what that seller will do when a promised outcome misses the mark.

As for the advice you asked about...it may be too soon in your watch collecting calling to buy on the open market. An AD is likely your best choice for now.

On the sell side, you could attempt a direct deal on TRF using your own listing. It may fetch the beat deal and allow you to try your hand at that portion. Or you could wholesale it to one of the trusted sellers on TRF.

In either case good luck in your quest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2018, 04:47 AM   #9
jvacc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
All sellers open a watch they buy or take in trade. You should know why, right? It’s the only way to verify the movement isn’t some replica.

The word “mint” isn’t a standardized watchmaking term. Nor is unpolished, untouched, original, running strong, etc.

The thing about the resale marketplace is this: Trusted Sellers are not Perfect Sellers. The difference to the buyer is what that seller will do when a promised outcome misses the mark.

As for the advice you asked about...it may be too soon in your watch collecting calling to buy on the open market. An AD is likely your best choice for now.

On the sell side, you could attempt a direct deal on TRF using your own listing. It may fetch the beat deal and allow you to try your hand at that portion. Or you could wholesale it to one of the trusted sellers on TRF.

In either case good luck in your quest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That clears up a lot of my uncertainty - thank you. I understand the TS will do what it takes to make things right when a watch misses the mark. However - the hassle of buying from overseas (US to London) means this hassle would be a lot of time/expense/stress (especially if having to request a refund from UK customs, etc).

I may try and sell my watch on TRF, its a good suggestion. I agree I may be best to use an AD for the used Rolex I'm after - as I still have a lot to learn.

Thanks everyone for the informative replies!!
Old 24 September 2018, 05:10 AM   #10
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvacc View Post
Hi Laszlo - I didn't mention in my post that I am looking for a low price. In fact - I am happy to pay extra money if it ensures the watch is in good condition. As mentioned I want a Rolex that is no longer in production - otherwise I would be more comfortable to buy new.

There are examples in this forum of people that have purchased from a trusted seller only to discover there are MAJOR flaws with the Rolex that would have been discovered with basic checks.

Sorry, I didn't mean that 'you' were looking for the best price, but I have not personally seen anyone purchasing from the TS I've mentioned with major flaws in their purchases. The only time I've seen this is when someone is looking for that deal and gets burned. Maybe I'm being overly defensive and sorry if I came off that way. But when it comes to TS sellers like DavidSW… you get something special and the only thing missing is the AD bag.

Also, TS state 'excellent condition' but in my opinion the watches have been in mint condition. No dings, no scratches, nothing. Unless described in the ad. TS do not classify mint.

When it comes to inspection and process, never really crossed my mind. Maybe it should, but again, I do truly trust my source and not that anal about that stuff anymore.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2018, 06:39 AM   #11
jvacc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
There are examples in this forum of people that have purchased from a trusted seller only to discover there are MAJOR flaws with the Rolex that would have been discovered with basic checks.

Sorry, I didn't mean that 'you' were looking for the best price, but I have not personally seen anyone purchasing from the TS I've mentioned with major flaws in their purchases. The only time I've seen this is when someone is looking for that deal and gets burned. Maybe I'm being overly defensive and sorry if I came off that way. But when it comes to TS sellers like DavidSW… you get something special and the only thing missing is the AD bag.

Also, TS state 'excellent condition' but in my opinion the watches have been in mint condition. No dings, no scratches, nothing. Unless described in the ad. TS do not classify mint.

When it comes to inspection and process, never really crossed my mind. Maybe it should, but again, I do truly trust my source and not that anal about that stuff anymore.
no need to apologise - i just wanted to be clear about what i'm looking for. thats good to hear your experience in respect to your purchases. sounds like the sources/TS on the forum are pretty sound, I think its just more of a case of myself not trusting my own knowledge level in respect to a new purchase. thanks for the info its appreciate
Old 25 September 2018, 12:13 AM   #12
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
There are quite a lot of very good TS in the EU, so no import duties and VAT have to be paid.
I buy only via TS. Never had an issue, fully stickered and my name on the card
Old 25 September 2018, 01:02 AM   #13
Star Ferry
Banned

Trusted sellers don't always inspect the product thoroughly but will usually make things right if an issue arises.

Also, "excellent" doesn't mean perfect, nor does "mint." If you want perfect condition, try factory sealed, but even that is no guarantee as Rolex/AP/PP all make mistakes sometimes.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 04:03 AM   #14
jvacc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
There are quite a lot of very good TS in the EU, so no import duties and VAT have to be paid.
I buy only via TS. Never had an issue, fully stickered and my name on the card
Good to know there are good TS in the EU. If you can share any names, would be great. I find in the Who's Who section - it seems like anecdotal experiences from people that are happy with their purchase, but we are all happy when we receive a Rolex

To clarify - can I order from anywhere in the EU with no VAT to the UK? I am looking to buy used so wasnt sure if there is VAT on a used piece, but knowing the UK government, there likely is
Old 26 September 2018, 06:43 AM   #15
R!$
Banned

peace of mind
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2018, 09:54 AM   #16
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
I have bought all but 1 of my watches from Tony Geha- Justrolexes. I have never had any problems with Tony. I will do business with Tony anytime. He has become a good friend.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2018, 11:22 AM   #17
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by R!$ View Post
peace of mind
Exactly.

They are “trusted” for a reason.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2018, 01:03 PM   #18
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Ease of business and peace of mind. I can wire DavidSW hundreds of thousands of dollars over the years and not worry that I’m not going to get exactly what I paid for. Trading in watches I might get a few $K less but I don’t have to deal with the headaches.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2018, 08:54 PM   #19
jvacc
"TRF" Member

Watchfinder was recommended in this thread, but does anyone have experience with Watch Center in Marylebone, London? They have a watch I'm interested in purchasing