The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 October 2020, 09:25 PM   #31
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
PM would be my choice as the true value of the watch is closer to msrp and any correction will not result in a 10k loss. The percentages are what I would look at and then decide. Why not get a white dial or black dial Sky-Dweller and save between 7-9k. Much closer to msrp and they are still a great watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2020, 09:33 PM   #32
darius359
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpt.calvin View Post
Are you suggesting the current state of the Rolex climate started with COVID-19 and will thus end with COVID-19?
The current state of the resale market is a very low supply of available product within the United States. Once the supply chain normalizes and we are able to trade as we did prior to covid, prices may start declining.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
darius359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2020, 09:40 PM   #33
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungPrezzy View Post
No doubt this has been something that has been discussed before but I thought maybe Id but a twist on it.

Im currently looking for my next Rolex but frankly I am a bit conflicted as many of us are these days. Up until 2018 I was fortunate enough to get my hands on pretty much whatever I wanted from Rolex and as we all know, those days are over.

I really enjoy the steel blue sky dweller but the price is around 25K in unworn condition a solid 10k over the sticker price.

For an additional 10K I would be in the realm of a full Solid Gold Sub or even a Daytona. (watches I equally enjoy) Granted these are slightly over budget by about 5-7k depending on the model and condition.

My Grandfather always said to me "spending isnt saving" so I am trying to apply that to this purchase. On one hand id be saving 10k by buying the Steel Sky Dweller but on the other hand im over paying by a grotesque amount. The biggest Value is easily the precious gold models again im spending more just to save from having to spend the premium on the Dweller.

Perhaps its just the way you look at things like this but in terms of Value to total cost, is there a clear cut winner? Is this where you bite the bullet and go two tone?

SS retain value for a SUB, seadweller, Daytona, GMT BLRO and Explorer. PM or TT for the rest of the model as buying them in steel or not make no difference down the road.
I personally advise in buying at MSRP, if you pick the right type of AD your SS sky dweller will be delivered in a decent time.
Don’t trust the hype, things are not that crazy for no real honest customers dealing with honest ADs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 8 October 2020, 09:43 PM   #34
s7horton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB, 126610…..
Quote:
Originally Posted by darius359 View Post
The current state of the resale market is a very low supply of available product within the United States. Once the supply chain normalizes and we are able to trade as we did prior to covid, prices may start declining.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I would argue the supply was very low well in advance of COVID. I do believe there will be a correction. I’m no economist, but it sure seems like it could be tied to a potential housing crash.
s7horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2020, 10:13 PM   #35
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
Always buy exactly what you want is my experience with all things. If you can’t afford it or think it’s a bad deal just wait until it’s a better deal.

Getting something you don’t want because it’s a better deal is always unsatisfying. But people have different levels of patience. I’ll wait for years and years to get what I want and slowly plan and plot and pine. Then as soon as there’s a big price decrease for whatever reason I’ll snatch it up.
thenewrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2020, 10:16 PM   #36
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
PM would be my choice as the true value of the watch is closer to msrp and any correction will not result in a 10k loss. The percentages are what I would look at and then decide. Why not get a white dial or black dial Sky-Dweller and save between 7-9k. Much closer to msrp and they are still a great watch.
Be careful with these statements as it’s teetering on the precious metal watches having metal value argument. We’ve discussed and determined that precious metal Rolex have very little value over steel. Both steel and precious metal models are worth what the market commands and nothing more. Keep that in mind.
thenewrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2020, 10:53 PM   #37
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHookLacey View Post
If you want to invest, buy an ETF.
Wait, you didn't get the invite to the Rolex ETF?

But seriously, one can buy stock in WOS for something like that.

More seriously, steel is the new gold, and I think the durability long term has shown that in auctions on average (pre-hype)
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2020, 03:21 AM   #38
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I disagree with all of the comments.

LOL

Decide what it is that you want. Then decide, how much do I want to spend on it?

Then see if the market price is anywhere close to your budget.

You can rationalize anything, if you put your mind to it.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2020, 04:20 AM   #39
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Math is real simple:

Gold / Platinum (PM) >>>>>>>> Steel

next question?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled