The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 19 April 2019, 08:53 AM   #1
OCROLEXGUY
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 Boutique Seller

Watch: 16600
Icon20 **Beware** Please Read ** Scammer using Rolex Forum Feedback**

Hello Forum Users:

We would like to bring to your attention that there is a scammer attempting to impersonate well-known watch dealers on the Rolex Forums. The scammer is using the “Who’s Who” tab to reach out to forum users, impersonating the dealers the user referenced in their feedback. They use the email that users post in their past/current listings or from the public profile that the users have on the forum. The pattern is explained in detail below:

They use an email address that is very similar to the authentic address the dealers use in their listings.

Email Example:

The authentic email is : WATCHDEALER1224@gmail.com
The impersonator’s email: WATCHDEAIER1224@gmail.com
(The L is changed to an I )

Sample Scenario:
John Doe posts feedback for a dealer in the “Who’s Who” tab and references the model of the watch he purchased. The scammer will notate the dealer name, the model of the watch, and John Doe’s email address. He will then, reach out to John impersonating that dealer, reference the details listed in the feedback and offer a few watches at a very low price. John wires the imposter the money for the watch, but never receives the watch.

********PLEASE DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU*************

We have reported this impersonator to the authorities and are taking all the necessary steps to shut him down. At this time, we ask ALL FORUM USERS to please conduct due diligence when opening emails, and always double check the exact email address of the sender.

A photo has been attached below, due to privacy we have blurred out the email address of the dealer and client.

OCROLEXGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 09:24 AM   #2
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCROLEXGUY View Post
Hello Forum Users:

We would like to bring to your attention that there is a scammer attempting to impersonate well-known watch dealers on the Rolex Forums. The scammer is using the “Who’s Who” tab to reach out to forum users, impersonating the dealers the user referenced in their feedback. They use the email that users post in their past/current listings or from the public profile that the users have on the forum. The pattern is explained in detail below:

They use an email address that is very similar to the authentic address the dealers use in their listings.

Email Example:

Sample Scenario:

John Doe posts feedback for a dealer in the “Who’s Who” tab and references the model of the watch he purchased. The scammer will notate the dealer name, the model of the watch, and John Doe’s email address. He will then, reach out to John impersonating that dealer, reference the details listed in the feedback and offer a few watches at a very low price. John wires the imposter the money for the watch, but never receives the watch.

We have reported this impersonator to the authorities and are taking all the necessary steps to shut him down. At this time, we ask ALL FORUM USERS to please conduct due diligence when opening emails, and always double check the exact email address of the sender.

A photo has been attached below, due to privacy we have blurred out the email address of the dealer and client.

Scary tactics by scammers revealed - thanks Patrick.

One little niggle - changing an uppercase letter in an authentic email addy to a lower case letter for an impersonator wouldn’t do it. But we get your point.

Maybe a better example would be:

The impersonator’s email: WATCHDEALERl224@gmail.com

(In this example, the 1 is changed to a lower case “I” that looks like a sans serif 1 )

Another is to put a random dot between words in the addy.

Again, thanks for the warning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 09:27 AM   #3
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Scary tactics by scammers revealed - thanks Patrick.

One little niggle - changing an uppercase letter in an authentic email addy to a lower case letter for an impersonator wouldn’t do it. But we get your point.

Maybe a better example would be:

The impersonator’s email: WATCHDEALERl224@gmail.com

(In this example, the 1 is changed to a lower case “I” that looks like a sans serif 1 )

Another is to put a random dot between words in the addy.

Again, thanks for the warning.

In his example, he changed uppercase L to uppercase I, not lower case L
Old 19 April 2019, 09:35 AM   #4
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks Adam - that would do it for sure.

I didn’t have the Unicode decoder ring with me on iPhone with Tapatalk I thought it was a LC l

Old 19 April 2019, 09:37 AM   #5
mailman
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Taken everything into consideration, I made this a sticky for the time being. If it saves one member, it’s worth it.
Old 30 April 2019, 06:18 AM   #6
RyanO
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc
Thank you for sharing. I posted that I was interested in purchasing a rose gold Daytona and had two scumbags attempt the same scam on me. Thankfully I caught that the e-mail was one character different and ended up phoning the trusted seller directly, who confirmed that he had no knowledge of our transaction.

Watch out out there..
RyanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 12:34 AM   #7
CS-Watch-Services
2024 Pledge Member

Thank you for this
In my opinion the best channel to communicate is through TRF messaging or any contact information given in the listings. Since listing can’t be deleted a good double check is to make sure contact info in recent listings is identical to info in older listings.
Can never be too safe.

Thanks again!
CS-Watch-Services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2019, 01:18 AM   #8
vteclol
"TRF" Member

This just happened to me.

Scammer got all my information from my posts.

Reached out to people I have made deals with on here through the who's who' thread.

He created an email missing 1 letter from my actual email.

MY ONLY EMAIL ON ROLEX FORUM IS

IAMVTECLOL@GMAIL.COM

He went even as far as providing my instagram to the people.

BEWARE!!!!
vteclol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2019, 12:31 AM   #9
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSwatch3945 View Post
Thank you for this
In my opinion the best channel to communicate is through TRF messaging or any contact information given in the listings. Since listing can’t be deleted a good double check is to make sure contact info in recent listings is identical to info in older listings.
Can never be too safe.

Thanks again!
I got a PM with a private email attempting to impersonate CSWatch this week with his email. Just ignored it.
EEpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2019, 03:27 AM   #10
southtexas
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
I got a PM with a private email attempting to impersonate CSWatch this week with his email. Just ignored it.

I just got an email from cswatch3495@gmail.com asking to buy a watch I have for sale. I responded telling him to contact me through PM. Let’s see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 12:51 AM   #11
daveswordfish
"TRF" Member

Just had the same scenario happen following a great transaction Roth a Trusted Seller. SCARY!

daveswordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2020, 10:27 AM   #12
ErikSzper
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM326
Same scam- beware people posing as me- but email address is missing the S at end of Jewelers

Be careful all!
Old 24 June 2020, 02:03 AM   #13
casavova
"TRF" Member

Hello Guys!

I received this email last night about Rolex forums. Any feedback if this is a legitimate email or another scammer?!?
Here is the picture I made from my inbox

casavova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 02:34 AM   #14
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casavova View Post
Hello Guys!

I received this email last night about Rolex forums. Any feedback if this is a legitimate email or another scammer?!?
Here is the picture I made from my inbox

That is a legitimate message from TRF. Notice that Steve doesn’t ask you to click a link. He directed you to log in and read the instructions he has written in that sticky.

This is a big step forward for TRF to clamp down on the hijackers who have been scamming some unwary members.

Old 24 June 2020, 03:01 AM   #15
casavova
"TRF" Member

I’m glad it was from Steve and thank you so much for follow-up the email

casavova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2021, 01:09 AM   #16
mhunt1014
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCROLEXGUY View Post
Hello Forum Users:

Email Example:

Sample Scenario:

Thanks for bringing to our attention! Really appreciate you being onto of it!
mhunt1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 11:23 AM   #17
roq106.7
"TRF" Member

Beware of folikon79 (solassa924 on watchuseek forum was banned today nigerian scammer) and Dokoga33 posted thread on this site about folikon79 being a great seller both scammers!!!
roq106.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2022, 08:17 AM   #18
fareplay
"TRF" Member

Is there any moderator that can mediate a sale?

fareplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2023, 05:32 AM   #19
Killigrew3Boys
"TRF" Member

Please Help - Scammer - Xerxes77

Hi All,

I thought I was making a reasonable decision but it looks like I got scammed. I posted a message about a particular watch and was contacted by a bunch of private sellers. I reviewed all their posts, references and thought Xerxes77 was reliable.

I wired him the money on Wednesday and he made an excuse about not sending the watch. I got what seemed to be a bogus USPS overnight slip starting in 9405 which doesn't seem to even be a realistic USPS number. I called USPS and all they have is that the tracking slip was created but not "picked up."

I have now emailed Xerxes77 4 times with no response. I have an address in San Francisco but no phone number.
Killigrew3Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2023, 07:44 AM   #20
jlee504
"TRF" Member

I just got scammed by HForrest. How do I report this on the forums? He even had references on the forums but I guess they were all his also
jlee504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2024, 10:34 AM   #21
csk80
"TRF" Member

I was just scammed by gregdolley on a Black Bay 54 purchase. All buyers beware!

csk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2024, 10:41 AM   #22
csk80
"TRF" Member

I just got scammed by gregdolley on a Black Bay 54 purchase. I sent funds and got a bogus tracking number. No response since. All buyers beware!!
csk80 is offline   Reply With Quote