The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 June 2015, 01:01 AM   #1
Invictus Maneo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
New to pens! Need some guidance.

Hello my TRF friends! This is my first time posting on the "Pens" forum so please be gentle with me!

I am looking to start a pen collection. As of this moment I have a Waterman BP and a Parker BP (it's around here somewhere). I have no idea of what names or model #'s they are. I don't believe either are extremely valuable but the Waterman is sentimental as my ex-wife gave it to me about twenty years ago.
Anyway, I'm looking to start collecting but want to start off slow and relatively inexpensive.

I work in the medical profession and plan on using it at work. I also plan on carrying a few spare Uniball throw aways to give to patients and colleagues to use which occurs very, very often . I have also recently re-started journaling in a Moleskein binder.

To date, I really like using a RB, certainly more than a BP. I haven't used a fountain pen in years and probably wouldn't go that route to start, at least in the work setting. I could certainly see myself learning to use one for my journal entries though.

So, I'm looking for suggestions on what to start with. I write A LOT at work so I'm looking for something that will be enjoying to write with but that I won't be devastated if I lose/break while I'm in the process of developing "pen discipline"! Once I get that (discipline) I will probably up my game.

There are no exclusively pen/stationary stores where I live but plenty of places that sell high end writing instruments if one is willing search a bit.

So what do you guys/gals suggest to start me on my journey? I'm most definitely a WIS and I guess I want to learn how to be a PIS.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated including websites that are good to use and give good or great prices.

Thankyou!
Ken
Invictus Maneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2015, 10:39 PM   #2
wayneside
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
montblanc.com

Get a Montblanc rollerball!
wayneside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2015, 01:07 PM   #3
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
I would also recommend a Montblanc rollerball but be sure and pick up several refills.

For whatever reason, the MB rollerball refills seem to not last as long as some I have owned.

Good luck!
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2015, 01:38 PM   #4
Bakasana
Banned

Ask ArchieLuxury on YouTube.
Bakasana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2015, 10:42 PM   #5
Invictus Maneo
"TRF" Member

Thank you for all your responses! I will make it a point to look at some MB rollers this weekend.
If I were to start with a fountain pen for primarily my journal, is MB still the way to go for someone who hasn't used a fountain pen in 20+ years? I've also heard recently that some of the Japanese pens are good too but at this point in my learning curve I don't even know which brands are considered "good".
Old 26 June 2015, 10:49 PM   #6
wrightbrain
"TRF" Member

I prefer the MB ballpoint. Refills last much longer and the writing experience is better IMO.

If you want a refill that lasts super long get a Fine.
wrightbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2015, 08:08 AM   #7
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Hi Ken,

I was in a very similar position to yourself not too long ago. The forum members were most helpful (Please have a read of my thread) as it kind of answers your questions in depth and there are a few pictures of the MB pen I decided on.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=369407

I believe it will help steer you in the right direction. I too didn't fancy a FP just now (hopefully in the future). I went to a Mont Blank Boutique and tried both the ballpoint and rollerball.
After 3 seconds of writing with the BP I realised that it looked just like a 99p Bic on the paper and just didn't feel special enough for the cost. (IMO)

The roller ball is beautiful but it does use up a lot more ink. They aren't stupidly priced and really feel rather special.

Good luck in your hunt. Please keep us updated.

James.
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2015, 11:29 AM   #8
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
Well, I might get bashed, but I carry one pen, and it never fails, no matter what.

It is Fischer Space Pen refil in a $11 stainless Parker from Staples. That's in my folio, and it never leaks and never fails to write. No scribbling in an odd corner to get things working. It is 100% ready all the time.

I also carry a Fischer "bullet" in my pocket. It is very small but once the cap is removed and placed o the back, full size. Handy on the weekends and odd enough that it doesn't acidentially "walk" away. They write smoothly as well. I have used smoother writing pens, but nothing more reliable.

I do carry a spare refil in my folio (belt and suspenders after all) but I write quite a bit every day and get over a year out of a refil. And did I metion it is absolutely reliable?

When I did photography, I carried one and a "write in the rain" pad with me everywhere. The look on people's faces when I took notes in pen in a torrential downpour is worth the price of admission. (and I used an EOS1 and sealed lenses so those didn't fog either, which also pissed everyone not using that set up off too, but that's another story)

Not flashy, but Parker makes some more expensive models if you want flash.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2015, 10:04 PM   #9
Invictus Maneo
"TRF" Member

To everyone who responded, Thank You! After doing some research I have decided for my journal entries I am going to dive into the FP fray! I'm not sure how practical it will be at work but after learning to use it at home first I may give it a try.

Right now ,while at work, I'm trying to develop what I call "Pen Discipline". I bought a relatively cheap rollerball and I'm trying to see how long I can hang on to it with out losing it. In my line of work I am usually in constant motion of some kind, moving from place to place to take care of my patients. So far I've lost it once but found it. I put it down on a work table in an exam room and it rolled off the counter into a garbage can that was next to the edge. The pens clip is very flush with the barrel and it will easily roll on an uneven surface. When I'm in a procedure room I wear a gown to cover my clothes and it has no pocket. It's not practical to keep in my shirt pocket as I have to keep raising the gown to get at it. I've started clipping it at the neckline of the gown to counter this.

If I can make 2-3 months without losing it I'm going to try a better (more expensive) pen at work. I know I'm a bit OCD but I've started to become very aware of where my pen is at all times! We'll see how it goes!
Old 29 June 2015, 01:14 AM   #10
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
I played with a fountain pen a while ago and could not deal with the leaking issues.

At home at a desk it is fine but they don't travel well in my opinion.

If you are moving around a lot I stand by my first recommendation- get the space pen!
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2015, 12:43 AM   #11
gontomt
"TRF" Member

I, too, worked in the medical field. Back in the day, pharmaceutical companies would give out plastic BP pens like candy, all embroidered with their logo and drug name.

Two (at least) problems with this:

1) The pens did not have enough ink to last one day in use.

2) I lost a pen immediately after one use. Each time I needed a pen (often), I had to search or ask for a pen.

I finally bought a Parker Rollerball in sterling silver with gold trim. It was maybe $100 back then (30 years ago?), but it wrote faster and with less effort than a ballpoint.

Also, because of the beauty and value of this pen, I never took my eyes off of it when lending it, never left it on a counter or table, and never lost it.

Your experiment with a disposable rollerball has merit, but I think you should just go ahead and get a fine rollerball (MontB would be fine).

A man with two watches never knows what time it is.
gontomt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2015, 07:14 AM   #12
Invictus Maneo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gontomt View Post
I, too, worked in the medical field. Back in the day, pharmaceutical companies would give out plastic BP pens like candy, all embroidered with their logo and drug name.

Two (at least) problems with this:

1) The pens did not have enough ink to last one day in use.

2) I lost a pen immediately after one use. Each time I needed a pen (often), I had to search or ask for a pen.

I finally bought a Parker Rollerball in sterling silver with gold trim. It was maybe $100 back then (30 years ago?), but it wrote faster and with less effort than a ballpoint.

Also, because of the beauty and value of this pen, I never took my eyes off of it when lending it, never left it on a counter or table, and never lost it.

Your experiment with a disposable rollerball has merit, but I think you should just go ahead and get a fine rollerball (MontB would be fine).

Thanks, Mark!

I'm going to wait on the MB's (I really like the Meisterstruck 146 and 149). Just not in the budget right now.

I was wondering what you all think of the Cross Townsend? They retail for about $320 but can be had on Amazon for $205 but only in medium nib. I'd rather a fine nib, at least I think so, but for $105 I'll settle for a medium and get a fine nib down the road.
Problem is, I've never tried one and can't in my town as there are NO pen stores .

Right now I have a Monteverde Invincia Deluxe (I like this pen a lot but I got the stainless steel barrel and for long writing sessions it get a bit unweildly and there is NO WAY I can write with it posted, way too top heavy), Pilot Metropolitan (which is a pretty decent little pen), and two Jin-Hao's of which one I put a Goulet 1.1 italic nib and it actually writes pretty good.
Do any of you have experience with the Townsend? If you do, please tell me what you think. Otherwise, I guess I can hold off until I save for a MB but with two kids in college that may be a while.

I know, lots of "crying" emoji's here but that's what I'm feeling.
Old 30 July 2015, 08:09 AM   #13
Frosty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
If you are on a budget, do not forget some of the vintage Parker and Sheaffer F/P. I picked up some at thrift shops and an estate sale shop that were made in the late '50's and early '60's. I was surprised at how well the flow and feel of the pen was.

They are usually not working so no one wants to take a chance. Warm soapy water usually solves the problem. I have bought bundles of pens $50-80 and found dome nice writing pens. Just a thought.
Old 30 July 2015, 08:36 AM   #14
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Cartier makes some nice pens.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2015, 01:37 PM   #15
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
I believe I've written a little about my medical experiences and right now I've been using a Montegrappa RB and really love it. It's not a FP but writes so smoothly and uses both OEM and Parker refills so I can get them locally at office stores (I live an hour from the nearest stores with pens. There's a luggage store which has a nice selection of entry level pens, and a jewelry store nearby carries MB).

If you don't deal with "carbons" much like nursing home orders, you can definitely use a FP. I did use my LeGrand 146 for quite awhile, but I worried a little about needing to disinfect it (would alcohol or cidex disinfectants hurt the pen over time?), and I had some trouble with ink getting on my fingers too much (but I've sent it in for service). I also found that the FP ink (I use Montblanc) needs a little time to dry or it will smear. I haven't had an issue with someone trying to alter what I've written as far as I know but I don't use the "permanent" MB ink.

So if you write a lot, I'd recommend a piston filler since it will hold a lot more ink. But I just kept a bottle of ink in my office and at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2021, 01:02 PM   #16
Kowaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: G Shock
I got the Montblanc 144,nice pen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kowaco is offline   Reply With Quote