The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 October 2021, 04:39 PM   #1
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
Forensics image analysis

Watchuthink WIS? This started as NZD$ 40...
As of this wrting its now $160

It's all about health, happiness & family. The rest are just necessary inconveniences we have to deal with.
yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 04:40 PM   #2
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Another one

It's all about health, happiness & family. The rest are just necessary inconveniences we have to deal with.
Old 8 October 2021, 07:09 PM   #3
SearChart
TechXpert

Very hard to tell, but judging by the rehaut I'd say fake.

Sometimes it can be incredibly convincing in the flesh, I've had fakes on my bench coming in for repair and then see a high-end replica of the 4130 or 3135 on the inside. Some are almost scary.

I was told at HQ that in some very rare cases they have to test metals of some movement parts to see if it is their alloy or not, otherwise you just couldn't tell if it's genuine or not.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 09:15 PM   #4
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
I was told at HQ that in some very rare cases they have to test metals of some movement parts to see if it is their alloy or not, otherwise you just couldn't tell if it's genuine or not.
Well said, as the superfakes are seriously good! Panerai has serviced fakes because they are so close to the real thing it may be impossible for Panerai to tell the difference.

Rolex is harder to fake than Panerai of course, so it's more challenging for the superfakes to do, yet they do.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 10:09 PM   #5
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Very hard to tell, but judging by the rehaut I'd say fake.

Sometimes it can be incredibly convincing in the flesh, I've had fakes on my bench coming in for repair and then see a high-end replica of the 4130 or 3135 on the inside. Some are almost scary.

Thank you!
Much appreciated.

Old 9 October 2021, 01:18 AM   #6
William.L.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 & 16013
I'd like to know how the crystal got moved and the cyclops ended up where it is. You'd have to remove the bezel and reinstall the bezel for it to be like that. Plus what's the status of the dial if it is in fact genuine. If its too good to be true......
Tudor GMT
Serti GMT
William.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2021, 01:39 AM   #7
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wow, that is very interesting. Are these franken-watches that you are referring to? I.e. some genuine parts and some not? If the entire watch was fake I would have expected there to be a couple of easy-to-spot parts (perhaps the hairspring, ceramic bezel insert, etc) which could give an overall answer without having to analyze part by part, some of which could be much harder to tell.
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2021, 12:31 PM   #8
JMGoodnight369
"TRF" Member

I’m going to second it being a fake. The rehaut does look off as well at the end links. There’s pretty large gaps on either sides of them compared to a real sub c
JMGoodnight369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2021, 05:27 PM   #9
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
Wow, that is very interesting. Are these franken-watches that you are referring to? I.e. some genuine parts and some not? If the entire watch was fake I would have expected there to be a couple of easy-to-spot parts (perhaps the hairspring, ceramic bezel insert, etc) which could give an overall answer without having to analyze part by part, some of which could be much harder to tell.
No franken, but 'super fakes'.
Non original parts are common in vintage Rolex though, I often see aftermarket tool marks on 15×× rotors, aftermarket gears, springs, rotor axles.
Especially now the older calibers are getting harder to service for independent watchmakers / small workshops, and Rolex charging more and more to service and maintain the older models.

They fake ceramic quite easily, except for the coloured stuff, that is not always quite right.
The hairspring is usually indeed the dead giveaway, however there are ones that come close to the parachrom. Pre-parachrom can be faked easily.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2021, 11:28 PM   #10
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the detailed reply Bas!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2021, 04:10 PM   #11
yoniman
"TRF" Member

"After market tool marks..."
You really are a forensic watchmaker too, Bas!

At anyrate, none that wants updating this watch sold for NZD 550.

Glad to be outbidded as I was ready to grab it for more save for Bas comments.

I will just spend the saved money on some pints when I see you someday Bas!

Take care and stay safe everyone!

Cheers
Jesse

Old 11 October 2021, 06:09 AM   #12
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

The crown looks very wrong too! Even unscrewed it wouldn’t extend past the guards that far. It’s too “fat”.
Lesnerelli23 is offline   Reply With Quote