The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 October 2021, 06:15 AM   #1
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Rolex AD's in the New York City area

I'm at it again guys on the blog.

Just wrote up a list of the best Rolex AD's in NYC, at least according to my experiences when visiting. Some of the top ones are in my opinion AD's where a newcomer has a better chance at getting lucky buying a Rolex on a first time or second time walk in basis.

Would love to hear some thoughts on this: Best Rolex Authorized Dealers in New York City.
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 07:19 AM   #2
rkny
"TRF" Member

Your #5 is my #1.
rkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 07:23 AM   #3
referencetwenty8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18238
Thank you for writing that piece! Wish there was something like this for SOCAL but its a jungle over here.
referencetwenty8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 07:30 AM   #4
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkny View Post
Your #5 is my #1.
LOL! Honestly it really depends on the day and who you deal with at the AD's, someone can have totally different experiences at the same AD.
Old 29 October 2021, 07:31 AM   #5
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by referencetwenty8 View Post
Thank you for writing that piece! Wish there was something like this for SOCAL but its a jungle over here.
Haven't been to AD's in SOCAL yet, but my next AD guide will be for London UK since I lived there for many years.
Old 29 October 2021, 08:16 AM   #6
nr1416
"TRF" Member

Not sure about the NYC list but just took at your Toronto list and LOL'd hard. Humbertown is one of if not most corrupt ADs in North America and you have them at #2 on your list.

They Flat out tell you what you need to spend in junk jewelry at their store to purchase a Steel Sports Rolex. It also doesn't help they are also under investigation with Rolex because they've been caught numerous times selling to known grey dealers.
nr1416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 08:50 AM   #7
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Matt, I enjoy your enthusiasm but you need to study up a bit on your knowledge of New York City. The boroughs of NYC are Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, and Staten Island. All of your stores listed are in neighborhoods of Manhattan and no one that lives there would describe any of them as the “outskirts” of the city. Neither is Midtown where most of your stores are located the “city center,” just mostly the business district and the geographic middle of Manhattan, but people live and work the entire length of the island. Lastly Times Square (note the s on the end) is named for the New York Times newspaper whose main building is on 8th Ave around 42nd. There is no such place in the city as Time Square.
Now that I have that off my chest, I have pretty much been treated politely in all of the stores you mention, the WOS stores and the Wempe full store the most chatty. And the London Jewelers in the Oculus actually helped me sort out a fit issue on my brand new Daytona that had been shipped to me at the Millenneum Hilton across the street. I have never gotten the warm fuzzies from any of the Tourneau stores. There are also Rolex dealers in Queens and on Staten Island that I have not visited.
I think my biggest difference is I have never asked for a new Rolex in any of them. I go in to browse because I’m a watch guy. If one of them randomly offered me something I would consider it but for the most part I’m loyal to my home AD who so far has taken care of me.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 09:04 AM   #8
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
Matt, I enjoy your enthusiasm but you need to study up a bit on your knowledge of New York City. The boroughs of NYC are Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, and Staten Island. All of your stores listed are in neighborhoods of Manhattan and no one that lives there would describe any of them as the “outskirts” of the city. Neither is Midtown where most of your stores are located the “city center,” just mostly the business district and the geographic middle of Manhattan, but people live and work the entire length of the island. Lastly Times Square (note the s on the end) is named for the New York Times newspaper whose main building is on 8th Ave around 42nd. There is no such place in the city as Time Square.
Now that I have that off my chest, I have pretty much been treated politely in all of the stores you mention, the WOS stores and the Wempe full store the most chatty. And the London Jewelers in the Oculus actually helped me sort out a fit issue on my brand new Daytona that had been shipped to me at the Millenneum Hilton across the street. I have never gotten the warm fuzzies from any of the Tourneau stores. There are also Rolex dealers in Queens and on Staten Island that I have not visited.
I think my biggest difference is I have never asked for a new Rolex in any of them. I go in to browse because I’m a watch guy. If one of them randomly offered me something I would consider it but for the most part I’m loyal to my home AD who so far has taken care of me.
Thanks for this insight I'm going to edit the article. I've never lived in NYC so I'm definitely not up to standards on the districts / terminology. My next guide will be for London where I have lived, so it should be significantly more accurate in terms of locations and abbreviations from a residents perspective.

Everyones going to have a different opinion for each store, depending on who they interact with, time of day etc, that's for sure. Cheers
Old 29 October 2021, 09:06 AM   #9
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr1416 View Post
Not sure about the NYC list but just took at your Toronto list and LOL'd hard. Humbertown is one of if not most corrupt ADs in North America and you have them at #2 on your list.

They Flat out tell you what you need to spend in junk jewelry at their store to purchase a Steel Sports Rolex. It also doesn't help they are also under investigation with Rolex because they've been caught numerous times selling to known grey dealers.
Thanks for that info, I wrote that article a while ago and need to update it. To be honest I LOL hard at my own articles sometimes especially that one, it's all a big mess right now and each AD has plenty of problems.
Old 29 October 2021, 09:26 AM   #10
nyc10ken
Banned

Nice article. For your #1 I do know someone that got a black sub and Tudor 58 without other purchase history. But its tough to rank these, especially now, because it's all based on your relationship with the SA and their allocation. One can easily reverse your list and be able to make a case.

I also can't blame these ADs for any subpar service because when you don't get any supply and get the same requests day in and out it can make your job tedious, many quit this way.

Curious to know how many times you visited each of these ADs to do the report, or is it based on where you have gotten stuff?
nyc10ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 09:36 AM   #11
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc10ken View Post
Nice article. For your #1 I do know someone that got a black sub and Tudor 58 without other purchase history. But its tough to rank these, especially now, because it's all based on your relationship with the SA and their allocation. One can easily reverse your list and be able to make a case.

I also can't blame these ADs for any subpar service because when you don't get any supply and get the same requests day in and out it can make your job tedious, many quit this way.

Curious to know how many times you visited each of these ADs to do the report, or is it based on where you have gotten stuff?
Thanks and yep that makes sense, easy to get frustrated with the AD if they don't come through on an allocation, then all of sudden they're the worst AD in the world. I did base my ratings on just visits and left out any purchases because like we know sometimes it's just luck of the draw. I've visited each one at least a few times, it's the route I take when in the city, some more than others.
Old 29 October 2021, 09:54 AM   #12
nyc10ken
Banned

I used to visit the ones in midtown area when I worked there so I have some more data to work with. Honestly just in terms of visits I'd rank each one the same "Nope, nothing" is the typical response. But each has their pleasant ADs, however Time Machine SAs from what I remember was my least favorite to visit.
nyc10ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 10:26 AM   #13
nr1416
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchNutcase View Post
Thanks for that info, I wrote that article a while ago and need to update it. To be honest I LOL hard at my own articles sometimes especially that one, it's all a big mess right now and each AD has plenty of problems.
Haha, true true. It's a different story all together now, with close to no watches available anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
nr1416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 10:45 AM   #14
vh2k
"TRF" Member

NYC Rolex ADs are awesome! Nice blog, Matt.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 01:36 PM   #15
Rgd5000
"TRF" Member

Very nice, #1 sold me my first Rolex!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rgd5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 01:41 PM   #16
JH419
"TRF" Member

Your #3 and 4 is my 1 and 2. Your number 1 is probably towards the end of the list in my opinion and own experiences.
JH419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 02:18 PM   #17
LDN
"TRF" Member

Good work, thanks!
LDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 02:26 PM   #18
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgd5000 View Post
Very nice, #1 sold me my first Rolex!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nice! Which model did you buy?
Old 29 October 2021, 02:27 PM   #19
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDN View Post
Good work, thanks!
Cheers!
Old 29 October 2021, 04:07 PM   #20
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Interesting to read somebody else’s perspective. I’ve been living in Manhattan for over 20 years and have been to all of those stores many times. I’d say there are very nice employees at all of them, but sometimes you do get a person who is less friendly for whatever reason. I don’t think it’s company or location specific.

My number 1 would be the Rolex boutique on 5th Ave, but then that’s where I’ve been buying watches for the past 10 years and they take good care of me, so I’m biased. Everyone’s experience will be different.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 05:39 PM   #21
Little machines
"TRF" Member

Thank you !
Little machines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2021, 12:54 PM   #22
Fuselierpa
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Actually had a lovely experience today at Tourneau/Bucherer Madison & 53rd. Was greeted immediately, staff was attentive, and I was out of there with a Tudor Chrono S&G with no aggravation and plenty of pampering. They had several Subs, Seadwellers and GMTs in the used cabinet, if I was in then market for those.
Fuselierpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2021, 11:56 PM   #23
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselierpa View Post
They had several Subs, Seadwellers and GMTs in the used cabinet, if I was in then market for those.
I bet you they were not cheap!
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2021, 12:42 AM   #24
dannyp
Banned

Sorry, but I had to a bit at the thought of Hudson Yards being on the "outskirts" of the city.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2021, 12:54 AM   #25
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Sorry, but I had to a bit at the thought of Hudson Yards being on the "outskirts" of the city.
Yeah, I chuckled at that too. And the thought of the Meatpacking District being a neighborhood where only locals hang out - as a local myself I see it as quite the opposite. But that’s why it’s fun to read other people’s perspectives.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2021, 03:19 AM   #26
PA14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV
Thanks for this, definitely helpful. I'm in the process of figuring out which AD I want to work / build a relationship with and I'm really leaning towards WoS SoHo.

Curious if anyone has developed a good relationship with them in the past year or so.
PA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2021, 03:43 AM   #27
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
I've lived in NYC since 1977 and have been watch shopping at ADs almost as long.

In general, good article (besides the above-mentioned issues), but I'd say that every AD is the same nowadays in terms of trying to buy a new Rolex. You just need to get lucky and/or try to establish a relationship. Like the rest of the world, you won't even have a chance to buy a new Rolex sports model unless you've done that. Everywhere the cases are empty, except for the display models you can't buy.

Over the years, I've bought new Rolexes from Wempe and Tourneau, and there's not much difference, except there's a bit of watch snobbery at Wempe.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
authorized dealer , new york city , rolex