The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 27 November 2021, 10:44 AM   #1
Initial_J
"TRF" Member

Box+Papers, Great Patina or Time Appropriate: which do you value most?

Of course we all want that all-original watch with beautiful patina, perfect provenance, and the paperwork to prove it. Unfortunately those examples are few and far between when we are talking about timepieces that are 40-50 years of age (or older). So what’s the most important thing to you? Box and papers? Beautiful patina? 100% original components (or time appropriate)? Something else?

I like the watch to have a look and feel that is intended for the timepiece. So for me, I want a 100% time appropriate example (preferably original, but how can you really know?). With that, one would expect great patina, but of course that’s totally subjective and there are a range of patinas I find attractive. Too nice of a patina, and I actually start to question the originality of the piece (ie I start to suspect re-luming). B+P are a nice to have and help validate the originality of the watch, but I’m not sure they are worth the premium for a watch I intend to wear (maybe for an investment piece).

What do you guys think?
Rolex GMT Master 1675 “Pepsi” | Rolex GMT Master II 116710BLNR “Batman” | Rolex Daytona 116520 (black dial) | Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph LE 49150-000A-9017 | Cartier Santos de Cartier Large Black ADLC WSSA0039 | Panerai PAM00673
Initial_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 10:57 AM   #2
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initial_J View Post
So what’s the most important thing to you? Box and papers? Beautiful patina? 100% original components (or time appropriate)? Something else?
None of the above. The most important is overall condition - solid case, original hands and original dial with no edge chipping. Not too bothered about the other stuff, as long as it's correct. If it has box and papers it's a bonus, but it's not a dealbreaker if they're absent.

A 50-year-old watch with an original dial will have patina anyway.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 09:07 PM   #3
karleone
"TRF" Member

Condition is everything. Sharp case with chamfers/bevels if unpolished even better. Nice patina matching dial and hands and period correct. After that if the bracelet is not period correct that’s not a big deal if it’s the same bracelet reference. Insert can be bought but it can be pricey for a period correct one. Box and papers arrive way after. For me it’s just a bonus. But condition is way more important.
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote