The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 August 2021, 01:19 AM   #1
fizz
"TRF" Member

Considering this 116520 - should I go for it?

Some background - I am a vintage guy. The closest thing I own to a modern Rolex is a 16570 Polar white from 91. The rest are 16030, 5513, and 1675.

I've always felt a Daytona was missing from the collection but I've given up any thoughts of even owning a 4/5 serial no reference because they really are ridiculously priced now (and have been for years).

Recently (the past few months), I've been mulling around with the idea of owning a modern Daytona because I have a 10 year work anniversary coming up. The AD won't even put me on their list because I have no purchase history (other than servicing) and no "connections" (sigh, Dubai....) so I've been looking at the 116520 which just happens to be the "least desirable" version of the watch (i.e. not a ceramic and not the Zenith movement either).

Today, for the first time ever, I tried it out. It is being offered for sale by a local seller at what I think is well below market price (I'll get to that later). I thought I might not be smitten by it (I've tried the Ceramic and was ho-hum about it), but this felt like magic - the right size for my small 6.3-inch wrist with a heft that screams wrist presence. I was immediately captivated. The seller is a collector and has every modern Rolex under the sun (his entire family regularly buys) but the catch is the watch (see pics) is sold without box or papers. Never been polished or serviced (so I am sure a service is due very soon for about 1500 USD or so).

I am no expert but checked/verified the following:

- D serial no and has fat hands
- Solid bracelet, not hollow links.
- Green lume
- No Rehaut engraving
- 3 piece SEL (Solid end link)
- Chronograph works and reset properly and accurately.

Pics below (click to see FULL-size versions).

The price....a very firm and fixed 19k USD after all the haggling, pleasantries and watch talk. That's way, way, WAY more money than I've ever spent on something for the wrist (my most expensive purchase before this was my beloved birth year 5513 for 9k USD 6 years ago...oh, how time flies!).

Question for you good folk - should I go for it?

Thought, ideas, and considerations welcome....
fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 01:39 AM   #2
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
I really don't know anything about the nuances of these earlier 116520s and how they affect current or future values. I don't know about the "fat font", green lume vs blue, engraved rehaut, etc.

I do know after a quick search it does seem this is priced below market value (generally compared to other 116520s). But of course, it's not a complete set. I also appreciate an unpolished watch, but in a perfect world, the condition would be both excellent and unpolished. this example appears to have seen quite a bit of wear. Not necessarily a bad thing, but would and should certainly affect the price. Also, as you mentioned it will likely require service.

Lastly, I'd personally prefer to have the newer style clasp. I'm not sure if this one has it or not but I find it to be a huge improvement from the older ones missing the Ez link.

It's a tough call. If you feel really good about the seller, that's a significant pro for this example. Otherwise, I'd probably wait for a complete set, a little bit newer in in a little bit better condition. I know that would mean paying more money. But for a life long keeper, spending 2, 3, even 5k more will not seem like a lot of money many many years down the road.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 01:47 AM   #3
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Looks like a good watch at a fair price…..looks much nicer than %90 of over polished 116520 on the market……daytonas w the SS bezel and smaller case are very prone to over polishing and becoming crap……
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 03:19 AM   #4
karleone
"TRF" Member

Most of 116520s on secondary market are overpolished. This looks very good unpolished!
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 02:27 PM   #5
fizz
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone - I agree it's unpolished but for something that recent (it isn't decades old like true vintage). I also agree that despite being unpolished, the condition isn't stellar (dings and scratches and desk dives galore, not to mention the guck that needs to be cleaned on the bracelet) and this also (as per the seller) is reflected in the price.

But this is available locally and buying in person is always better plus I've never seen the price (considering it's August today) this low (the lowest without box and papers is around 21/22k USD).

Still, I am not compelled enough to buy this over some of the TRUE vintage pieces that have been on my radar and I consider grail (such as 1016 or the Omega PAF Railmaster).

The dilemma continue....
Old 4 August 2021, 03:06 PM   #6
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
I would go with the ceramic or zenith
Old 4 August 2021, 03:29 PM   #7
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
I would avoid. No papers, no deal. Not at 19k, which by the way is a comparative bargain and you know the old saying... if it's too good to be true...

By the way local seller is not the same as a trusted seller and you better be VERY sure that you are buying from a trusted source. Just too much to risk on this deal. Imagine getting a counterfeit or stolen piece. A nightmare.

At least you now have some idea what sings to you. I'd say go for the same model but get one with the engraved rehaut and in the later years of its release (just before product line update to the ceramic bezel). The later version offers a way better clasp.
TimeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 06:43 PM   #8
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
I would avoid. No papers, no deal. Not at 19k, which by the way is a comparative bargain and you know the old saying... if it's too good to be true...

By the way local seller is not the same as a trusted seller and you better be VERY sure that you are buying from a trusted source. Just too much to risk on this deal. Imagine getting a counterfeit or stolen piece. A nightmare.

At least you now have some idea what sings to you. I'd say go for the same model but get one with the engraved rehaut and in the later years of its release (just before product line update to the ceramic bezel). The later version offers a way better clasp.
Some people with smaller wrists appreciate the shorter clasp of the earlier serials.

I think the watch is in great condition. It seems to have been worn but with care. Not a safe queen, not abused. I would buy it for my daily, and I would not care about papers. And the local shop means there is some accountability.
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 12:20 AM   #9
cts
"TRF" Member

I love my 116520..
cts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 01:36 AM   #10
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
As a former owner of a 16520 and an 116519 both with the white face, I'd suggest that you wear it and look at it as you would an everday watch... my biggest complaint was that I couldn't easily tell what time it is.

No box and papers is meaningless if you never plan to sell the watch, IMHO.

However, 19K needing a service seems to me to be on the high side of pricey, and when I consider that I sold my gold (non-ceramic) Daytona with a recent service for less than that, well, I know the market has gone up, but that's just silliness.

On the upside, yes, for those of us with svelte wrists, the Daytona hits a sweet spot.

And if you are not absolutely head-over-heels in love with it and unless you know for a certain fact that you life will not be complete without it, then take a pass.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 01:43 AM   #11
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
As a former owner of a 16520 and an 116519 both with the white face, I'd suggest that you wear it and look at it as you would an everday watch... my biggest complaint was that I couldn't easily tell what time it is.

No box and papers is meaningless if you never plan to sell the watch, IMHO.

However, 19K needing a service seems to me to be on the high side of pricey, and when I consider that I sold my gold (non-ceramic) Daytona with a recent service for less than that, well, I know the market has gone up, but that's just silliness.

On the upside, yes, for those of us with svelte wrists, the Daytona hits a sweet spot.

And if you are not absolutely head-over-heels in love with it and unless you know for a certain fact that you life will not be complete without it, then take a pass.
Box and papers, depending on the seller can add some measure of confidence regarding the watches provenance. Another way to say it... less likely to be stolen.
Old 5 August 2021, 08:40 AM   #12
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizz View Post
Some background - I am a vintage guy. The closest thing I own to a modern Rolex is a 16570 Polar white from 91. The rest are 16030, 5513, and 1675.

I've always felt a Daytona was missing from the collection but I've given up any thoughts of even owning a 4/5 serial no reference because they really are ridiculously priced now (and have been for years).

Recently (the past few months), I've been mulling around with the idea of owning a modern Daytona because I have a 10 year work anniversary coming up. The AD won't even put me on their list because I have no purchase history (other than servicing) and no "connections" (sigh, Dubai....) so I've been looking at the 116520 which just happens to be the "least desirable" version of the watch (i.e. not a ceramic and not the Zenith movement either).

Today, for the first time ever, I tried it out. It is being offered for sale by a local seller at what I think is well below market price (I'll get to that later). I thought I might not be smitten by it (I've tried the Ceramic and was ho-hum about it), but this felt like magic - the right size for my small 6.3-inch wrist with a heft that screams wrist presence. I was immediately captivated. The seller is a collector and has every modern Rolex under the sun (his entire family regularly buys) but the catch is the watch (see pics) is sold without box or papers. Never been polished or serviced (so I am sure a service is due very soon for about 1500 USD or so).

I am no expert but checked/verified the following:

- D serial no and has fat hands
- Solid bracelet, not hollow links.
- Green lume
- No Rehaut engraving
- 3 piece SEL (Solid end link)
- Chronograph works and reset properly and accurately.

Pics below (click to see FULL-size versions).

The price....a very firm and fixed 19k USD after all the haggling, pleasantries and watch talk. That's way, way, WAY more money than I've ever spent on something for the wrist (my most expensive purchase before this was my beloved birth year 5513 for 9k USD 6 years ago...oh, how time flies!).

Question for you good folk - should I go for it?

Thought, ideas, and considerations welcome....
It will more or less hold its value so the cost is actually minimal. Beats dumping money in a 0.3% CD.
Go for it
bob sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 11:03 AM   #13
Sunstreaker
"TRF" Member

The prices of these are crazy now. DavidSW has a 116520 right now with a chip in its crystal and a ding on the bezel and likely over polished all around for $27k ! But yea it includes B&P lol … not sure who would pay that but I’m sure it’ll eventually sell. If you trust the seller the seller of the one you found then fine but I personally wouldn’t buy without B&P.
Sunstreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 11:13 AM   #14
greggywatchguy
"TRF" Member

I personally wouldn’t without papers. But for me just the condition and having to wipe the gunk off, would be a no for me, even if it’s a good deal. For 19k, I think you need to feel amazing about it. Many amazing things can be bought for 19k. That’s just my opinion.
greggywatchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 11:57 AM   #15
cts
"TRF" Member

I am a box and papers guy. You definitely need to purchase the white 116520.
cts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 12:22 PM   #16
RyanO
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: LVc
A blue dial DJ41 was 17k this past week at a retailer in Key West. Seems like a bargain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RyanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 07:26 PM   #17
DGB
"TRF" Member

Not having the B&P reduce the price when you buy as well as when you sell but you will always be able sell a watch without B&P.
If you like the watch and you trust the guy go for it, especially if you’re not going to sell it so B&P isn’t much of an issue.

DGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 09:16 PM   #18
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
$19k isn’t a bad price for a unpolished white dial 116520 and that one looks like a very nice example. I purchased my white dial A serial 16520 a couple of years back w no B&P but it was from a trusted seller here on TRF. And it was polished and serviced from Rolliworks along with finding out who it originally belonged too.
Old 5 August 2021, 09:55 PM   #19
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
box and papers, depending on the seller can add some measure of confidence regarding the watches provenance. Another way to say it... Less likely to be stolen.
omg.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 10:13 PM   #20
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

Late 2019 I was offered a NOS white dial (late serial) 116520 for $19K. I passed due to lack of B&P. Times have changed apparently!
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 11:11 PM   #21
fooey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few now!
In the UK last week mark Worthington jewelers had a 2013 white dial 116520 come up for sale on. Their website with POA instead of a price which for them is very unusual! Anyway I emailed them to ask for the price and they emailed back...£29.950 uk pounds! Lol
It sold 3 days later!
Box and papers but not nos

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
fooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2021, 04:55 AM   #22
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanO View Post
A blue dial DJ41 was 17k this past week at a retailer in Key West. Seems like a bargain.

Steel or steal?
LOL.
You can get that watch new for many thousands less
bob sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2021, 07:07 AM   #23
fooey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob sims View Post
Steel or steal?

LOL.

You can get that watch new for many thousands less
Very good!

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
fooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2021, 07:21 AM   #24
fizz
"TRF" Member

Hello everyone - thanks for all the replies. I still haven't made up my mind and honestly, while 19k seems high it is cheaper than anything anyone is offering at this point for this model anywhere.

Just a few clarifications - this isn't a grail for me. I've never lusted after a Daytona and frankly, I've always felt they looked rather tacky with all that steel. When I tried it, I was pleasantly surprised (my first time trying it in the flesh and I only did so because it was available locally and the price was less than the market). I like it but like I said I like other watches more, some of which are definitely grail for me and actually cost less, and my thoughts now/currently are if I am willing to spend that much why not just spend it on something I truly want rather than something that's available cheaper than what the market perceives.

As always, the only surety in this situation seems to be that since it's a Daytona, I likely won't lose money in the unfortunate and hard to predict situation where I need to sell it.
Old 7 August 2021, 07:21 AM   #25
fizz
"TRF" Member

Hello everyone - thanks for all the replies. I still haven't made up my mind and honestly, while 19k seems high it is cheaper than anything anyone is offering at this point for this model anywhere.

Just a few clarifications - this isn't a grail for me. I've never lusted after a Daytona and frankly, I've always felt they looked rather tacky with all that steel. When I tried it, I was pleasantly surprised (my first time trying it in the flesh and I only did so because it was available locally and the price was less than the market). I like it but like I said I like other watches more, some of which are definitely grail for me and actually cost less, and my thoughts now/currently are if I am willing to spend that much why not just spend it on something I truly want rather than something that's available cheaper than what the market perceives.

As always, the only surety in this situation seems to be that since it's a Daytona, I likely won't lose money in the unfortunate and hard to predict situation where I need to sell it.
Old 8 August 2021, 05:01 AM   #26
Bigkev999
"TRF" Member

$19k usd seems good value, they are trading for £20k in Uk and looking about $25k in US so that price allows for a slight pull back and to get it well serviced !
Bigkev999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2021, 08:44 AM   #27
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizz View Post

Not really sure why you are thinking about buying this watch.

DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
116520 , 116520 white , rolex daytona