The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 December 2021, 03:37 PM   #1
ssdt134
"TRF" Member

Rolex Value Questions

Hello all!

I have a question relating to the value of a Rolex DateJust 41mm. Long story short, I am a massive fan of watches, and have been for some time now (having owned various TAGs and Tudor watches). However lately I've been saving away some cash to go for a Rolex - specifically the DateJust 41mm Oystersteel & white gold with fluted bezel, jubilee bracelet & bright black dial. I do like this watch a lot and would feel excited knowing I own such a prestigious watch, however am keen to ensure it does hold it's value.

An additional question for those experienced in dealing with authorised dealers would be whether it's possible to jump straight to the Sub date, or whether you are expected to buy a more readily available Rolex, such as the DateJust before being selected to purchase this watch.

Can I expect this specific configuration of the DateJust to hold it's value relatively well?

Thanks in advance
ssdt134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 03:42 PM   #2
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
forget the sub date, you even need to build a relationship with an AD to get the datejust you said.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 03:43 PM   #3
ssdt134
"TRF" Member

Appreciate quick response! Already have a good purchase history with this AD, so hoping that will get me on the list for at least the DJ
ssdt134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 04:03 PM   #4
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Since you want the DJ41 what does perceived value retention matter? It’s your prestigious watch. No one here can project value, either you want it or you don’t. What’s the value to you? That’s all that matters.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 04:15 PM   #5
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Did value retention play a role in purchasing any of your other watches?
Old 8 December 2021, 04:31 PM   #6
S``
"TRF" Member

Explore some other brands, save the heartache... Sure you might get lucky, but expecting nothing in return is a better way of approaching the ADs
S`` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 04:48 PM   #7
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
If you're asking questions about value retention you should probably be asking yourself how much value you're prepared to loose
If that answer is "not much" you probably shouldn't be buying a watch so expensive
Polar Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 05:12 PM   #8
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdt134 View Post
Appreciate quick response! Already have a good purchase history with this AD, so hoping that will get me on the list for at least the DJ
go straight for the Sub date then if you already have a good relationship.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 05:23 PM   #9
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

Honestly no one can tell you the answer. I know few years ago black dial 116520 Daytona used to be very popular and the price was always higher than the white dial, around 1000GBP more, but now the white dial is the same price as the black one and even higher. So no one can tell you the trend.

Just enjoy and choose the one you like
TimepieceRPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 05:24 PM   #10
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpt.calvin View Post
did value retention play a role in purchasing any of your other watches?
x2
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 09:11 PM   #11
ppbskis
"TRF" Member

I bought a G shock about a month or so ago and according to Chrono24 it’s doubled in value.
I have only bought what I really liked not what’s going to appreciate.
Good Luck and Happy Holidays

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ppbskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 09:42 PM   #12
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Get what you like if you have the means. It might double in value, it might halve. It's just a watch. Nothing more.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 09:44 PM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 09:53 PM   #14
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Get what you like if you have the means. It might double in value, it might halve. It's just a watch. Nothing more.
Exactly,

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 10:11 PM   #15
teager
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM233,IwcBP,D-blu
teager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 10:53 PM   #16
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Always goes for the one you like the most, don’t settle for second choice.

Sub. has a better chance for value retention than Datejust. Try your luck at the boutique/AD, many people got it without previous purchased history.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
, Seiko: SRPA21,
Benzsiam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 11:26 PM   #17
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
I do like this watch a lot and would feel excited knowing I own such a prestigious watch, however am keen to ensure it does hold it's value.
When do you intend to sell it? What other uses do you have for your capital?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 11:31 PM   #18
JayHantz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @Escapementt
Quote:
...I do like this watch a lot and would feel excited knowing I own such a prestigious watch, however am keen to ensure it does hold it's value...Can I expect this specific configuration of the DateJust to hold it's value relatively well?
If it is a prestigious watch that you like a lot, why care about holding value? I feel like you would get more worth owning something that you really want and can last a lifetime, instead of worrying if it goes up or down in value.
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 11:31 PM   #19
SamArj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hello all!

I have a question relating to the value of a Rolex DateJust 41mm. Long story short, I am a massive fan of watches, and have been for some time now (having owned various TAGs and Tudor watches). However lately I've been saving away some cash to go for a Rolex - specifically the DateJust 41mm Oystersteel & white gold with fluted bezel, jubilee bracelet & bright black dial. I do like this watch a lot and would feel excited knowing I own such a prestigious watch, however am keen to ensure it does hold it's value.

An additional question for those experienced in dealing with authorised dealers would be whether it's possible to jump straight to the Sub date, or whether you are expected to buy a more readily available Rolex, such as the DateJust before being selected to purchase this watch.

Can I expect this specific configuration of the DateJust to hold it's value relatively well?

Thanks in advance

To actually answer your question....
The SS DJ will hold it's value as they are no longer available in the window.
People have varying experiences with getting one in the UK. I know quite a few people who have asked for one and received it within a month or two, others have been given the run around.

If you have purchase history with this AD it's worth asking for the sub. You'll know from their reaction whether it's a realistic possibility or not.
If it seems it isn't a possibility then ask for the DJ and put your name down for the sub.

With some purchase history there is no reason why you shouldn't get a SS DJ within a month or two
SamArj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2021, 11:54 PM   #20
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This ^.

If people are only able to buy a watch on the proviso that it "retains its value" then IMO they have no business buying an expensive watch.

Nowadays watches (and certainly expensive watches) are nothing more than frivolous anachronisms - a step up from a nice pair of cufflinks - and demand is purely driven by fashions and the tide of social media... both of which can change in a heartbeat. No-one buys a new tie, or a toaster, or a pair of shoes on the proviso that it will "hold it's value", so I'm not sure why a watch should be any different.
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 12:35 AM   #21
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Please just buy the watch you like and don't give any thought to "value retention"

All Rolex watches will hold their value so just pick the watch you really like. The DJ41 with fluted jubilee is a fantastic watch. I have the same one with slate dial. You can't go wrong with black. It's a classic color and looks good with everything.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 04:07 AM   #22
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
All the luxury goods makers are welcoming the social media hype swirling around their products. Exclusivity is the new luxury. My opinion is any modern Rolex will maintain good value relative it's MSRP. How much it will increase in value or decrease in value depends on the reference and the social media hype surrounding that reference. To answer your question regarding the SUB date, Just approach the AD you mentioned and register your interest in either watch the DJ, or the SUB and go from there.
Old 9 December 2021, 04:19 AM   #23
SamArj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
This ^.

If people are only able to buy a watch on the proviso that it "retains its value" then IMO they have no business buying an expensive watch.

Nowadays watches (and certainly expensive watches) are nothing more than frivolous anachronisms - a step up from a nice pair of cufflinks - and demand is purely driven by fashions and the tide of social media... both of which can change in a heartbeat. No-one buys a new tie, or a toaster, or a pair of shoes on the proviso that it will "hold it's value", so I'm not sure why a watch should be any different.

Sorry, but since when has it been your god given right to decide whether someone has any business buying an expensive watch?? The pure arrogance and snobbery of your post is bewildering.

I'd say the op has his head screwed on right if he is being careful about how he spends his hard earned money.
Old 9 December 2021, 04:59 AM   #24
nyc10ken
Banned

First, DJs arent the watch to get for holding value, better to go with sports as others mentioned.

Second, i dont think the black dial will hold value as well as the blue, azzuro or wimbledon. Black dials are too common amongst all the models, if you must get DJ, get something thats only available to that model.
nyc10ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 05:15 AM   #25
bawlin
"TRF" Member

I find it woefully absurd for anyone to assume or expect someone else to predict the future, especially given what the past 24 months have looked like.
bawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 05:16 AM   #26
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
The DJ 41 will not hold its value as well as a Rolex SS sports model, but it will hold its value better than most models from other brands leaving out the holly trinity.

The DJ's and the OP's will be the first models to lose value if we start to see more availability from Rolex, the SS Sports models will be the last to waiver.

The fact that we're even discussing value of a DJ is ultra cringe anyways, especially since its so difficult to buy one from an AD at the moment. There's so many people with the same train of thought as you right now regarding value retention of Rolex that its become tiresome to hear. If you love the watch and want to wear it then buy it, don't go in expecting to make a couple bucks on it.

There's no harm in trying for the Sub Date either.

Inflation has really increased the desirability of Rolex as people seek to get rid of cash and hold the value in an asset, with the attempt to retaining purchasing power for the future.
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 05:21 AM   #27
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamArj View Post
I'd say the op has his head screwed on right if he is being careful about how he spends his hard earned money.
Spend? OK, fair enough. But that doesn't seem to be the question.

"Value retention" implies either investment or an inability to fully commit to expenditure on something so frivolous without an assurance of some kind that the money can be clawed back. The best advice I could give anybody in that situation is not to buy a watch. Or at least, forget about the value and buy what they like - if they have the means.

Value retention or increase is likely with a Rolex and a nice bit of icing on the cake. But it shouldn't be a primary reason for buying.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 05:37 AM   #28
pedersenkl
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, GMT, Sub
1) Good for you to save up the cash for a nice Rolex.
2) If you have a purchase history at the AD, I'd tell them you are interested in the DJ and the SubDate, with a preference for one or the other. Just be prepared to purchase if they call (tomorrow, the following week, month, etc).
3) Rolex (any) tends to hold value better than nearly all watch brands. Definitely better than the two you referenced (Tag and Tudor). SS Sports models will hold their value best.
4) Buy what you like. It is your hard earned money. Worry less about 'value' in the short or long term. Watches..just like anything else..can go up or down in value. While they (Rolex) are very high in demand and value now, many were actually selling for under MSRP 10+ yrs ago. Hard to predict the future.
pedersenkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2021, 06:01 AM   #29
SamArj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Spend? OK, fair enough. But that doesn't seem to be the question.

"Value retention" implies either investment or an inability to fully commit to expenditure on something so frivolous without an assurance of some kind that the money can be clawed back. The best advice I could give anybody in that situation is not to buy a watch. Or at least, forget about the value and buy what they like - if they have the means.

Value retention or increase is likely with a Rolex and a nice bit of icing on the cake. But it shouldn't be the primary reason for buying.

Neither the OP nor I said that value retention or increase was the primary reason for purchasing the watch. That must be a preconception in your mind?

However even if it were so then so what? Who gives anyone the right to say how others should spend their money?

I'd use the analogy of buying a high value sports car. There are people who can easily afford to buy a £xk car however they don't fancy losing a shedload. So they will choose a 911 over a Mclaren, should they also be vilified and judged because they didn't just jump in buy the car they most fancied initially because they considered the financial aspect?

Why are you guys so judgemental?
Old 9 December 2021, 06:25 AM   #30
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppbskis View Post
I bought a G shock about a month or so ago and according to Chrono24 it’s doubled in value.
I have only bought what I really liked not what’s going to appreciate.
Good Luck and Happy Holidays

Awesome! I'm rich. Watches are good investments!

vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote