The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 28 February 2018, 07:28 AM   #1
deliza215
"TRF" Member

Ducati Panigale V4

I am a collector of many fine things and motorcycles is one of them. I have owned a few Ducati's and I am wondering is there anyone else on here that loves them as much as me?
deliza215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 08:31 AM   #2
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

A bunch of Duck lovers here, they'll chime in shortly!!!
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 09:14 AM   #3
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Love them....the Ferrari of two wheels!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 10:29 AM   #4
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Motorcycle enthusiast here, but never owned a Ducati. Love to see pics of your collection.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 11:15 AM   #5
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
I'm definitely a Ducati fan. I owned a Monster 1100 for a few years, rode it quite a bit and then traded it in for a Multistrada 1200 S which I still have and I absolutely love. I've ridden a number of Ducatis over the years including a 2007 Monster S4R S and a Sport Classic GT1000.

I'm not big on sport bikes in general though, more of a naked bike/sport touring kind of guy at the moment. Ducati does make some beautiful sport bikes though. I've always had a soft spot for the 748/996/998 bikes.

I might be tempted by a Multistrada with that new V4 motor... especially if they make a Pikes Peak version of it.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 11:21 AM   #6
CDNWatchNut
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I love the styling and the character of Ducati, but I'm a japanese bike guy at heart.
No one styles a bike like the italians!
CDNWatchNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 11:23 AM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
If I were into bikes it’d be Ducati for me

Two young kids and too much worry prevent me from ownership
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 11:30 AM   #8
Lol-x
Facilitator

The V4 Panigale is a break through machine for Ducati.
Reviews are agog at its power, tractability and technology.
I don't know if I could keep my licenese if I owned this bike

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 11:32 AM   #9
Kevin.S
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
I owned a 2008 Monster S4RS Tricolore , awesome bike!
Kevin.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 12:31 PM   #10
Flyinghunter
"TRF" Member

Harley rider for a long time. Always lusted for a Ducati. The Diavel has been calling my name for some time now...
Flyinghunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 12:35 PM   #11
thedak
"TRF" Member

I bet I end up with a Panigale V4 this year

My 2014 Panigale R

thedak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 02:01 PM   #12
stratguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
I've owned two of them. The first was an ST4 tourer which was a great all-around bike. The second was a 748S which I had the pleasure of tracking a couple of times at Phoenix International Raceway. What a blast.
stratguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 02:31 PM   #13
Any4xx
"TRF" Member

I owned the same ‘97 916 twice. I loved it, but as I aged and became more beat up I just couldn’t crouch into it any longer. I considered keeping it and making it a living room piece, but ultimately sold it to a rider.
Any4xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 02:48 PM   #14
Andad

Watch: A few.
Just back from the Superbikes at Phillip Island.

A friend from Adelaide has his V4 arriving in a few weeks.

Trading in his 1299R Panagale.

He will give me a call when it arrives.

851 Tricolour factory kit and big brother.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (271.1 KB, 236 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 03:02 PM   #15
Andad

Watch: A few.
916 SP3 and 750 F4.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (252.6 KB, 236 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 08:13 PM   #16
Ian Macdermott
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Love Ducati

900 Supersport traded in for a 748BP and then a 996. Got too old to be able to ride any distance before requiring the services of a chiropractor

I would love the V4 but common sense has so far prevailed.
Ian Macdermott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 08:42 PM   #17
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
The V4 Panigale is a break through machine for Ducati.
Reviews are agog at its power, tractability and technology.
I don't know if I could keep my licenese if I owned this bike
I'll send you a get out of jail free card!!!
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 09:28 PM   #18
ejvette

Watch: me break clays..
I've had the pleasure of using my buds D but I too would lose my license owning that beast its way to hard not to ride like a lunatic on one

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 03:56 AM   #19
SDRider
Banned

My Monster 1100.

My Multistrada 1200 S with forged Pikes Peak wheels and Arrow exhaust. Why is it that whenever I schedule a service it rains on the day I plan to take it in?

Old 1 March 2018, 07:29 AM   #20
colpol
"TRF" Member

Great pictures guys

Ducati never done it for me though - 2 Hondas & a Yamaha for me
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 09:49 AM   #21
Lol-x
Facilitator

My bike now:

DucatiDiesel2-16-2-18.jpg

Guys I need your help!!!
I have a Competition Werkes (USA) slip on muffler. Its OK, quite loud (which is fine) but as you can see I have pipes wrapped to keep cool. I found out that at services to access the oil filter (secondary filter) the wrap will have to be removed and also at belt changes too.
It looks cool to wrap the exhausts but it took a lot of work and effort (3-4 hours) and $50 in wrap. I don't want to have to do this repeatedly.

SOOO I came across what is known as a "QD Box" where you replace the entire exhaust system. It retains the O2 sensors and looks pretty cool. It works with a series of resonance chambers inside the box and has the option of a removable baffle.

QD-Box.jpg

The QD Box looks really good and from behind the bike you can't see it as it is located in front of the rear wheel. At the same time, it would enable easy maintenance and give the bike a more custom look.

What do you guys think? Leave as is, or get the QD Box or just trade up to a V4 Panigale (joke on the V4).

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln

Old 1 March 2018, 10:43 AM   #22
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Steve, I really like the look of the pipes wrapped, looks so mechanical, industrial if you will. But that other look really gives it a mean, aggressive and sinister look. I really like this, maybe a bit more. What about sound, will the other exhaust replacement sacrifice any of the sound? BTW, the color you have is simply amazing.....nice choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 10:44 AM   #23
SDRider
Banned

Quote:
My bike now:

Attachment 930937

Guys I need your help!!!
I have a Competition Werkes (USA) slip on muffler. Its OK, quite loud (which is fine) but as you can see I have pipes wrapped to keep cool. I found out that at services to access the oil filter (secondary filter) the wrap will have to be removed and also at belt changes too.
It looks cool to wrap the exhausts but it took a lot of work and effort (3-4 hours) and $50 in wrap. I don't want to have to do this repeatedly.

SOOO I came across what is known as a "QD Box" where you replace the entire exhaust system. It retains the O2 sensors and looks pretty cool. It works with a series of resonance chambers inside the box and has the option of a removable baffle.

Attachment 930938

The QD Box looks really good and from behind the bike you can't see it as it is located in front of the rear wheel. At the same time, it would enable easy maintenance and give the bike a more custom look.

What do you guys think? Leave as is, or get the QD Box or just trade up to a V4 Panigale (joke on the V4).
Oh man, I didn't even think to mention that when we were discussing the wrap on your exhaust recently.

Yeah, this is the extent of disassembly required in order to do the valve adjustment/belt replacement. And yes, I did clean that internal oil screen. It actually had collected some gasket material from the initial assembly I guess.

I haven't heard anything about that exhaust but it looks cool.
Old 1 March 2018, 10:57 AM   #24
77T

Ducati Panigale V4

Despite your choice, you’ll be unwrapping at least once. Have you considered avoiding the box to stay stock, and wrap in segments?

Our race cars headers were always wrapped and we did them in segments so we could access downpipes and manifold bolts. Just meant using more SS tiewraps at each segment junction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 04:29 PM   #25
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Sweet bikes guys! I planned to get a Ducati Monster but ended up with a BMW GS which fit my life style much better.
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 06:40 PM   #26
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
Never owned one but would love an old 900SS work of art
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 06:45 PM   #27
Lol-x
Facilitator

Thanks guys for those excellent, helpful replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Despite your choice, you’ll be unwrapping at least once. Have you considered avoiding the box to stay stock, and wrap in segments?

Our race cars headers were always wrapped and we did them in segments so we could access downpipes and manifold bolts. Just meant using more SS tiewraps at each segment junction.
That is a thought, but I've never really liked the standard exhaust which runs along the right side of the bike, under my right leg and under the seat. To me it looks like it was ill conceived and detracts from what would otherwise be a much cooler leg/seating position for the rider and visually it covers interesting aspects of the engine. The QD EX Box exhaust runs under the bike (so it doesn't heat ones right leg and butt), and yields a much cleaner look. I could put the wrap on the QD Exhaust if I was so inclined and never need to remove it for an oil and engine belt service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
Oh man, I didn't even think to mention that when we were discussing the wrap on your exhaust recently.

Yeah, this is the extent of disassembly required in order to do the valve adjustment/belt replacement. And yes, I did clean that internal oil screen. It actually had collected some gasket material from the initial assembly I guess.

I haven't heard anything about that exhaust but it looks cool.
Thanks Sir.
That is a heap of disassembly, and I'd like to do oil/filter changes perhaps myself without having to take off the exhaust. This reinforced my view that Ducati really didn't think out this exhaust routing very well at all. The QD is much better to me for practical and aesthetic reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Steve, I really like the look of the pipes wrapped, looks so mechanical, industrial if you will. But that other look really gives it a mean, aggressive and sinister look. I really like this, maybe a bit more. What about sound, will the other exhaust replacement sacrifice any of the sound? BTW, the color you have is simply amazing.....nice choice
Thank you Sir, I appreciate your insight.
I've heard a few YouTube videos of the QD Box and it sounds excellent. With the baffle in it sounds like the stock exhaust and without the baffle it sounds like a beast, deep and thumping.
I love the wrapped look too, but I can with the QD Box always wrap the front cyclinder exhaust, it would be a breeze and still give that look to the bike to make it the best of both worlds.

Old 1 March 2018, 06:59 PM   #28
Lol-x
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zama View Post
Never owned one but would love an old 900SS work of art
Yes, I agree Criag, that model has heaps of character

Old 1 March 2018, 07:11 PM   #29
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
My bike now:

Attachment 930937

Guys I need your help!!!

Attachment 930938

Are there after market heat shields for the exhaust? My Road Glide has them and they help a lot. Closest I've ever gotten to owning a bike in the league with Ducks was an '88 ZX-10. It was a fun bike to ride.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 11:06 PM   #30
SDRider
Banned

Quote:
Thanks guys for those excellent, helpful replies

That is a thought, but I've never really liked the standard exhaust which runs along the right side of the bike, under my right leg and under the seat. To me it looks like it was ill conceived and detracts from what would otherwise be a much cooler leg/seating position for the rider and visually it covers interesting aspects of the engine. The QD EX Box exhaust runs under the bike (so it doesn't heat ones right leg and butt), and yields a much cleaner look. I could put the wrap on the QD Exhaust if I was so inclined and never need to remove it for an oil and engine belt service.

Thanks Sir.
That is a heap of disassembly, and I'd like to do oil/filter changes perhaps myself without having to take off the exhaust. This reinforced my view that Ducati really didn't think out this exhaust routing very well at all. The QD is much better to me for practical and aesthetic reasons.

Thank you Sir, I appreciate your insight.
I've heard a few YouTube videos of the QD Box and it sounds excellent. With the baffle in it sounds like the stock exhaust and without the baffle it sounds like a beast, deep and thumping.
I love the wrapped look too, but I can with the QD Box always wrap the front cyclinder exhaust, it would be a breeze and still give that look to the bike to make it the best of both worlds.

Actually, removing those sections of exhaust is very easy and only takes a few minutes... as long as you haven’t wrapped it.

I’m still not convinced that wrapping the exhaust on a naked bike does much of anything. The pipes are in the flow of air so it’s not like there is heat trapped in close to the engine. Besides, it is an air-cooled motor. They run hot all the time.