The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 25 April 2018, 03:11 AM   #1
nac060
"TRF" Member

New Canadian Member Looking for Service Recomendatinos

Hi All

I'm a new member & have recently inherited a 1680 Submariner from aprox1970, the s/n is 2,8xx,xxx. It was my father's watch that he gifted me this past Christmas. He received it as work bonus back in 1973 & has worn it daily for the past 45 years. It's been used but not abused & has had a couple of services of the years, last one was probably 18 years ago. My father is more of a big picture person rather than the details so I need to get it serviced & have some parts replaced. The crystal has some deep gouges that have been polished & the cycplos is slightly distorted because of the polishing. It also has an aftermarket/generic crown & I'd like to replace it with a Rolex one. I'm also assuming he had a service dial installed as it doesn't say Swiss at the bottom (yes it's a real Rolex). I gently asked him about the past services but not being a detail person, he doesn't care or remember... plus, he gave me his Rolex so I don't want to pick apart his generous gift.

Anyways, I'm looking for a recommendation to get it serviced. I'm located in BC & would rather not send it across the boarder if I can avoid it. I'm assuming there must be some good places in Vancouver but I want to make sure I send it to the right person.

Thanks,
Neil ... I'd post pictures but I need 10 post first
nac060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 12:33 PM   #2
wrxsti
"TRF" Member

I go to Ottofreidl in the basement of hotel vancouver for vintage but you could also send it in to Rolex Canada in Toronto but all parts will be service replacements. If you want all period correct parts I would go to LA watch works.
Old 25 April 2018, 02:43 PM   #3
msinstadt
"TRF" Member

Steve Cotton, MPPM Ltd on Vancouver Island, does vintage work for Palladio Jewellers. I had my 1680 red submariner serviced by him a few years back and he did a great job.

Good luck.

Mike
msinstadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 04:06 PM   #4
RolexNorth
Banned

Watch: YM2SS,SD43,HULK
Rolex Canada is in Downtown Toronto. If you want it serviced with guaranteed Rolex parts and warrantee, I'd send it to RC. If you get someone local to service it, make sure they have a Rolex parts account, else they could be swapping out parts with non-Rolex made parts which is a big no no.
RolexNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 04:15 PM   #5
Eric Chan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date 118238
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxsti View Post
I go to Ottofreidl in the basement of hotel vancouver for vintage but you could also send it in to Rolex Canada in Toronto but all parts will be service replacements. If you want all period correct parts I would go to LA watch works.
I would agree with this. The folks at Otto do great work.
Old 26 April 2018, 02:55 AM   #6
nac060
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxsti View Post
Thanks, I've stayed in Hotel Vancouver many time sbut never wander into Ottofeidl. I gave them a call last month for some basic service cost & the prices seemed reasonable. I'll probably use them. Thanks again.
Old 26 April 2018, 02:56 AM   #7
nac060
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msinstadt View Post
Steve Cotton, MPPM Ltd on Vancouver Island, does vintage work for Palladio Jewellers. I had my 1680 red submariner serviced by him a few years back and he did a great job.

Good luck.

Mike
Thanks, I'll put him on my list.
Old 26 April 2018, 02:58 AM   #8
nac060
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Chan View Post
I would agree with this. The folks at Otto do great work.
Thanks,
Old 26 April 2018, 03:01 AM   #9
nac060
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexNorth View Post
Rolex Canada is in Downtown Toronto. If you want it serviced with guaranteed Rolex parts and warrantee, I'd send it to RC. If you get someone local to service it, make sure they have a Rolex parts account, else they could be swapping out parts with non-Rolex made parts which is a big no no.
If it was a newer model I'd probably send it to RC, after reading about some peoples experiences with vintage watches being sent to RC, I'll leave them as a last resort.
Thanks,
Neil
Old 26 April 2018, 03:15 AM   #10
Rolex85
"TRF" Member

i am another vote for Ottofreidl. They are fantastic!
Rolex85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 03:21 AM   #11
steversaurus
"TRF" Member

I would stick with Otto Friedl or the German Watchmaker, both Downtown Vancouver. Both are about the same price for servicing. Should be about 500 Canadian. Just to warn you, parts are not cheap. Original vintage parts may add up more than the servicing.
steversaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 05:21 AM   #12
nac060
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex85 View Post
i am another vote for Ottofreidl. They are fantastic!
Thanks
Old 26 April 2018, 05:22 AM   #13
nac060
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steversaurus View Post
I would stick with Otto Friedl or the German Watchmaker, both Downtown Vancouver. Both are about the same price for servicing. Should be about 500 Canadian. Just to warn you, parts are not cheap. Original vintage parts may add up more than the servicing.
I'm slightly nervous for the parts bill when I do send it in.
Old 26 April 2018, 06:40 AM   #14
saskmh
"TRF" Member

Wait. if this thing is a 1680 from 1970 and has the original dial and hands then DO NOT sent it to Rolex. They will replace the dial and hands which kills the value.