The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 1 October 2014, 05:32 AM   #1
chiko323
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
Royal Oak Polishing Question

Hey everybody. While my 15300 is off at the AP service center, I was thinking about their refinishing service. Along with my free repair they offered to do a refinishing of case and bracelet for around $200. I think I'm going to decline this option since it is in pretty good shape, but it got me thinking about it anyway. When AP does the refinish, will it take some of the awesome sharp edges off or is AP so good that it really will look like new. I have heard that you can only polish a royal oak 3-4 times, so is the difference visible after every polish? Interested to hear from others who have had this service done. Thanks!
Justin
chiko323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 05:38 AM   #2
Kadhytia
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX, AP, and PP
I heard they have a special technique and tool to keep the sharp edges.
Kadhytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 05:59 AM   #3
watchdog507
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rose Gold
There will be no changes to the edges. All of the surfaces will have the correct grain. They have all of the special machinery that will make it look as new when it's done. At $200 it's a no brainer, at least for me.
watchdog507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 06:01 AM   #4
Starguru
"TRF" Member

Does a watch lose value if you have it polished?
Starguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 06:11 AM   #5
watchdog507
"TRF" Member

If it's polished by AP no. If it's polished by someone without the correct tools, YES! It's almost impossible to get the edges, bevels and directional grain correct for non AP polishing.
Old 1 October 2014, 07:03 AM   #6
martinr
"TRF" Member

When I had my 15202 Jumbo I had it lightly polished at Clearwater and I couldn't tell the difference between it and a brand new watch. The price and the turnaround time was incredible considering how perfect it was. Go for it.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 08:21 AM   #7
chiko323
"TRF" Member

Well based on these responses I think ill have it done. Might as well have them send back a new watch :)
Old 1 October 2014, 11:29 AM   #8
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Looking forward to pics after

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 11:37 AM   #9
Presa canary
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer ii
Considering they only want to do it a handful of times and it's in good condition. I'd hold off till next servicing
Presa canary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 12:34 PM   #10
chiko323
"TRF" Member

Im excited for it to be done now. :) Already sent Betsy the signed work order
Old 1 October 2014, 01:00 PM   #11
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
I am against polishing except if the watch suffered a major scratch or scratches, like my BLNR after a bike accident this summer, or if the watch is really scratched everywhere after many years, but if it looks ok don't do it, and yes a watch looses value after a polishing, even if done by AP IMO...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 01:55 PM   #12
chiko323
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
I am against polishing except if the watch suffered a major scratch or scratches, like my BLNR after a bike accident this summer, or if the watch is really scratched everywhere after many years, but if it looks ok don't do it, and yes a watch looses value after a polishing, even if done by AP IMO...
Not planning on selling for a long time so i dont think any affect on value matters that much to me. I'm only going to wear the watch occasionally with a submariner as my daily so I think i can keep it basically spotless and not in need of another polish for at least two service intervals. Also I don't mind scratches as much when I caused them, but since I just got this, it would be nice to start with a blank canvas.
Old 1 October 2014, 05:26 PM   #13
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
It would be nice if you would post a few pics of your watch for us to see how it was before going in servicing
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 05:29 PM   #14
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:

Agree

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 09:59 PM   #15
watchdog507
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's good that we all have opinions and we share them here. I personally like "perfect" watches. OCD in action. I'm going to be a dissenter here. I defy many of the nay posters to be able to even identify a watch that has been "polished" by AP. The only usual visible spot is when excessive metal has been taken off the bezel and the screws do not sit in the recess. I have never been penalized for the sale of a "new" looking watch but I have been penalized for one that is covered in dings and scratches.
Old 2 October 2014, 12:57 AM   #16
chiko323
"TRF" Member

Unfortunately I dont have pics that show any of the scratches, but it was enough to slightly bother me. There were a few noticeable scratches on the upper lug but the worst of it was the bracelet. There were marks on just about every link if you look in the right light and a big scratch on the clasp
Old 2 October 2014, 02:32 AM   #17
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiko323 View Post
Hey everybody. While my 15300 is off at the AP service center, I was thinking about their refinishing service. Along with my free repair they offered to do a refinishing of case and bracelet for around $200. I think I'm going to decline this option since it is in pretty good shape, but it got me thinking about it anyway. When AP does the refinish, will it take some of the awesome sharp edges off or is AP so good that it really will look like new. I have heard that you can only polish a royal oak 3-4 times, so is the difference visible after every polish? Interested to hear from others who have had this service done. Thanks!
Justin
Justin,

The only negative I noticed when I recently had it done was that it came back looking so perfect that the first scratch I put on it damn near sent me over the edge . It will look new and perfect. You'll of course scratch it up again.
srvrf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2014, 02:36 AM   #18
kb24
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC 26320 Black
good move on sending it in for polishing and refinishing.. i just sent mine in too..

cant wait for it to get back fresh and new :)
kb24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 01:28 PM   #19
underpar31009
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP and JLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
Justin,

The only negative I noticed when I recently had it done was that it came back looking so perfect that the first scratch I put on it damn near sent me over the edge . It will look new and perfect. You'll of course scratch it up again.
Haha! Good to know as well.
underpar31009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 04:01 PM   #20
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
I wouldn’t polish it. Regardless what anyone says here polishing removes material. If a lapping machine is used on the polished areas most can’t tell it has been polished but many can. If you are going to be using the watch you will scratch it soon again.