The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 April 2018, 05:20 AM   #1
ra77man
"TRF" Member

15400 Problems/Issues

Hi Guys,

I've just reserved the 15400 blue dial and have come across some horror stories online of the crown coming off, needing constant repairs which cost a fortune etc... basically summing up the fact that it's a super high-maintenance watch prone to multiple problems.

As many of you are owners of the same - can you share what your experience has been like? (For context, I own a couple of sport model rolexes, panerais an IWC and the odd breitling/tudor)
ra77man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 08:15 AM   #2
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
I've owned a 15400 silver dial for over 13 months. Only problem I have is I didn't practice good wrist awareness when I first started wearing and is now dinged up pretty good. No other problems but then I only wear to work with long sleeve dress shirts now.
texasmade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 11:26 AM   #3
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
No all scare mongering, there are just a few regulation issues which is a quick fix by AP under warranty.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 12:59 PM   #4
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Mostly it's people who don't own them saying that try don't want one because they're "too fragile" or whatever. Ask actual owners (like you just did) and you get a different story. They're great, reliable, accurate watches.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 01:15 PM   #5
Rogdogg
"TRF" Member

I don't have one myself but I would love one and having read about them for years I would feel very comfortable buying one. Don't put too much worry or thought into your decision to order one. You are going to love it.

The only thing I would recommend is that you try one on first to make sure you are happy with the size. It's a decent sized watch but oh so beautiful. I would go with the blue dial also if I was getting one!
Old 21 April 2018, 06:37 AM   #6
ra77man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
I've owned a 15400 silver dial for over 13 months. Only problem I have is I didn't practice good wrist awareness when I first started wearing and is now dinged up pretty good. No other problems but then I only wear to work with long sleeve dress shirts now.
Dinging up isn't an issue, I plan to wear it formally and business casual so my only concerns are manufacturing/repair related ones :)
Old 21 April 2018, 06:38 AM   #7
ra77man
"TRF" Member

Thank you guys for your advice - puts me at ease because I had been directed into the impression that it was a 'fragile' watch compared to a rolex.
Old 21 April 2018, 06:52 AM   #8
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
Mostly it's people who don't own them saying that try don't want one because they're "too fragile" or whatever. Ask actual owners (like you just did) and you get a different story. They're great, reliable, accurate watches.
Words from mouth. I have read these morons post crap like this before and I cannot relate one iota to any of it. We own 4 AP's, only had a minor issue with one and it was swiftly resolved by APSC and never had an issue since.

Buy one and without hesitation. Above and beyond Rolex by a long shot, you will not regret it.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 09:39 AM   #9
wach16
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228239, PAM00684
As with most service issues, the people who post are the ones who have had the issues. There are far more that run smoothly that do not get the same coverage. The MOST important part is the post sales service if there is an issue and APSC in the US is the best. I can't speak to where the closest service center is to you but I know AP is investing heavily worldwide in the post sales servicing area of the business.

Rolex 228239
PAM00684
wach16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 10:53 AM   #10
OP15
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by npalacio View Post
Words from mouth. I have read these morons post crap like this before and I cannot relate one iota to any of it. We own 4 AP's, only had a minor issue with one and it was swiftly resolved by APSC and never had an issue since.

Buy one and without hesitation. Above and beyond Rolex by a long shot, you will not regret it.
Just a tad bit harsh. Every watch brand will have its issues. And just like with anything, you’re more likely to hear about the problems. My AP has had issues, but not a moron for it happening to me. That being said, my Rolex has had an issue, too.

APSC in Clearwater is very good and will work towards a solution. I would not hesitate to buy.
OP15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 10:59 AM   #11
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Having an issue isn't the same as coming on to forums like here and saying how prone AP's are to having issues than brand "x". Most of those people have never owned them and just spreading misinformation. Those are the morons I am speaking of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 21 April 2018, 11:13 AM   #12
OP15
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Having an issue isn't the same as coming on to forums like here and saying how prone AP's are to having issues than brand "x". Most of those people have never owned them and just spreading misinformation. Those are the morons I am speaking of.

Got it...I see what you’re saying now. I misunderstood before.
OP15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 11:24 AM   #13
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP15 View Post
Got it...I see what you’re saying now. I misunderstood before.

✌️sorry!

Old 21 April 2018, 02:20 PM   #14
CanPam
"TRF" Member

I'm wairing mine frequently for over two years (also for swimming etc) now and haven't had any issues...
Old 21 April 2018, 02:21 PM   #15
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Never have any issues with 15400. Actually, considering the number of APs I own, I guess I must be lucky but surprising few issues.
Old 21 April 2018, 03:04 PM   #16
Speed
"TRF" Member

I've had my 15300 for 4 years.

In the first year, the date wheel stuck...but it was a known issue and i had it fixed under warranty. In year 4, the hair spring broke and AP required me to get a full service $1,300 +
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 03:24 PM   #17
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
Quote:
words from mouth. I have read these morons post crap like this before and i cannot relate one iota to any of it. We own 4 ap's, only had a minor issue with one and it was swiftly resolved by apsc and never had an issue since.

Buy one and without hesitation. Above and beyond rolex by a long shot, you will not regret it.
10000%
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2018, 03:29 PM   #18
G'ed
"TRF" Member

RO 15400 with 3120, H series, overbanking and date wheel stuck issue.

Diver with 3120, I series, running well but accuracy is poor.
G'ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 01:36 AM   #19
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Had my 15400 for just over two years. One of those I wore it pretty much 24/7. Visited many countries, swam in many pools, many sauna sessions, bumped and scratched it many times. No issues at all.
Old 22 April 2018, 01:49 AM   #20
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra77man View Post
Hi Guys,

I've just reserved the 15400 blue dial and have come across some horror stories online of the crown coming off, needing constant repairs which cost a fortune etc... basically summing up the fact that it's a super high-maintenance watch prone to multiple problems.

As many of you are owners of the same - can you share what your experience has been like? (For context, I own a couple of sport model rolexes, panerais an IWC and the odd breitling/tudor)
around $850 to service a close to 20K AP vs around $650 to service a 9k Rolex or 3k Tudor as i believe the RSC charges are the same. Hardly excessive. Probably wouldn't pay to have a Tudor serviced. After a few services you would have been better off throwing it away and buying another one instead.

Never send an AP to anyone other than AP for service. That is one thing that trying to save money on will backfire. I suppose its not as big of a deal with the other brands you mentioned so how you want it serviced is probably more of a relevant consideration than the official brand service charges.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 01:52 AM   #21
drgoro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
Truth
drgoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 02:43 AM   #22
wisguy
"TRF" Member

I’ve owned a 15300, 15400, 15703, 25860 and a 15202 (at different points in time) and I never had any issues with ANY of them.

My wife also had a couple of Royal Oak ladies (quartz though) and no problems.

Granted, I didn’t compete in any X-Games wearing them, but...
Old 22 April 2018, 03:40 AM   #23
ra77man
"TRF" Member

If I were to quantify loosely - a vast majority of you haven't had issues and those few who did have had them resolved for under USD 2k. That's manageable. Thank you for helping reaffirm my decision to go with AP.

You guys rock!
Old 22 April 2018, 06:06 AM   #24
VICI
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: Mr_Right_NYC
It's not a cheap watch to maintain but it's very enjoyable to own an AP.

Get one without any stories, usually buy BNIB or from original owner. The cheapest isn't the best.
VICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 07:48 AM   #25
Jster
2024 Pledge Member

I had a 15400 and the only problem I had with it was that when you set the time and pushed the crown back in the minute hand would jump ahead a few minutes. There was a work around where you put backward force on the crown while pushing it in but that hardly seemed acceptable for such a high end watch.
Jster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 09:16 AM   #26
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra77man View Post
If I were to quantify loosely - a vast majority of you haven't had issues and those few who did have had them resolved for under USD 2k. That's manageable. Thank you for helping reaffirm my decision to go with AP.

You guys rock!
Great decision! Post pics when it arrives on your wrist.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 04:23 PM   #27
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jster View Post
I had a 15400 and the only problem I had with it was that when you set the time and pushed the crown back in the minute hand would jump ahead a few minutes. There was a work around where you put backward force on the crown while pushing it in but that hardly seemed acceptable for such a high end watch.
Almost sounds like something got lost in translation, never use any kind of force. What you need to do for not the minute hand not to jump is to move 10 minute or so past the time you are setting and then reverse the minute hand to the exact time. Then when you push the crown the minute hand will engage without a jump.

All is described in the manual "It is advisable to set the hand five minutes past the desired time and then to move it back to the exact time.This allows the
gears to re-align themselves, thus ensuring optimal precision."

And as a note this jump when engaging the gear train is not something unique to AP. I have experienced it with movements from Rolex, Patek, VC, Omega and Piaget.
Old 22 April 2018, 06:07 PM   #28
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Eriksson View Post
Almost sounds like something got lost in translation, never use any kind of force. What you need to do for not the minute hand not to jump is to move 10 minute or so past the time you are setting and then reverse the minute hand to the exact time. Then when you push the crown the minute hand will engage without a jump.

All is described in the manual "It is advisable to set the hand five minutes past the desired time and then to move it back to the exact time.This allows the
gears to re-align themselves, thus ensuring optimal precision."

And as a note this jump when engaging the gear train is not something unique to AP. I have experienced it with movements from Rolex, Patek, VC, Omega and Piaget.
Is that just for the 3120 movement or is that advisable on all AP's?
LAFLARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 10:28 PM   #29
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFLARE View Post
Is that just for the 3120 movement or is that advisable on all AP's?
Seem to be different for different movements. I checked the manual for calibre 3126/3840 and it states the following:
"It is recommended to set the time clockwise. It is advisable to position
the minute hand forwards by half a minute to improve synchronisation between the minute and second hands. This compensates for the hand-fitting
play before returning the crown to rewinding position"
Old 23 April 2018, 12:35 AM   #30
leisen
"TRF" Member

I own 2 RO watches powered by 3120 mechanism. One of them hasn't had any problem (well, in fact it is a 3126 caliber based on the 3120). However, the other one, a RO 15300ST, has had 3 issues in 10 years. soon after buying it o rotor wheel and was unscrewed and was dancing all around the movement. Five years later it had serious problems that needed to change the balance wheel, and just one month ago the stream of the crown was separated. Except the first time with the watch under warranty, the repair cost was 1200 Euros and 900 euros.
leisen is offline   Reply With Quote